How to be awesome in GF PuGs

Most of us, if not all of us, who run group finder content, have met them. Thoroughly mindblowingly awesome uber leet guys (or gals) that leave you completely speechless, staring in disbelief at their performance, thinking to yourself "I am so not worthy of grouping with this person ever again in my life". Fortunately, there is an in-game tool to achieve this and I am sure that, like me, many people have a list of these rare gems on a tab near the who, guild, and friends list.

Not everyone has this precious gift. Luckily, there are ways to artificially achieve similar results by mimicking the superstars. So how can you apear more awesome than you really are?

Chapter one: Playing it cool

First you need a correct frame of mind. When you shuttle into an instance after getting a pop, do not say anything. After all, you are not there to chit-chat, but to get stuff done, right? All those hellos are a way for insecure people to ease tension. You are not tense, you are awesome!

Achievement "Will to power": +1 awesome point for right starting attitude

You may have met people who right at the start say something along the lines of "never done this one before". Clearly they are afraid that they may screw up because of lacking knowledge. You don't need to bother with that, even if you have no memory of the place you just shuttled into, your awesomeness will give you strength to overcome anything and everything the game can possibly throw at you.

Achievement "To question is to doubt":+5 awesome points for having the confidence to wing it in place you know nothing about beforehand

Achievement "Cowardice will find no friends here":+5 awesome points for ridiculing the incompetent people who voice their fears of strange place

Achievement "Disgust is not apathy":+10 awesome points for dropping the group if someone feels insecure

Achievement "Skill not wasted":+10 extra points if you are a tank

It should be said that a wipe may happen when you are winging it, or indeed at any point of any run you may get accused of screwing up something. But surely because you are awesome and therefore it cannot be your fault, you should deny any accusations suggesting otherwise. In fact, it must be someone else's fault and only you can show the others who the guilty party is.

Achievement "You dare?":+10 awesome points for defending your honor

Achievement "I see what you did there": +20 awesome points for pointing out the real culprit

If you decided to grace the peasants by allowing them to get queue pop sooner by queueing as tank or healer even though you are specced and gear for dpsing, you need to ease their little minds by assuring them that you are entirely awesome and that you can do it like this.

Achievement "Jack of all trades":+5 awesome points for queueing as different role

Achievement "Versatile master":+10 bonus points for doing this in HM

In case your gear is well below recomended level for the content, some clueless heathen may question your decision to undertake the endeavor in your current clothing. They should be forgiven for they know not the amount of sheer skill you are bringing to the table. Be kind to the small-minded and provide a few words of comfort.

Achievement "My credentials are in order": +10 awesome points for assuring the frightful that your previous experience with the content on other characters and innate skill is enough to compensate for your modest gear

If there is a bonus boss availible in the instance, as the most awesome person in the group it is your solemn duty to decide whether or not the bonus will be pursued.

Achievement "We must act":+1 bonus point for streamlining the decision process

Chapter two: Watch this!

While clearing trash, which, let's be honest, is totally beneath you, as the greatest player in the group you should dictate tempo and route taken. If you are the tank it will even be expected of you, but if you're not, this responsibility still needs to be handled by a professional and since you are awesome, it has to be you.

CC is cheesing, real men take all the mobs at once and mow them down with their high numbers flying left, right, and center.

Achievement "Lead by example":+2 awesome points for breaking those unnecessary CC

Achievement "Teach the ignorant":+5 awesome points for scolding the fearful for using unnecessary CC

The packs are usually mix of mobs of different strength. Supposedly there are two "schools" of combat, one says the weakest go first, the other say the strongest do, which is of course utter nonsense. As the most competent person in the group, you should look for the strongest adversary and go tackle it first while the less fortunate players mop up the rest.

Achievement "Just you and me":+5 awesome points for dueling the strongest mob as a tank

Achievement "The bigger they are, the harder I hit":+5 awesome points for focusing on the strongest mob as a dps

Achievement "Your champion and our champion":+10 awesome points for dueling the strongest mob as a dps

Achievement "Turning epic into legendary":+3 extra points if the strongest mob was CCed (on top of the usual breaking CC reward)

Bonus Achievement "Leftovers": +1 extra point for each unattended mob you leave alone

After the fight, in the unlikely event of you losing some HP, the healer will cater to your needs so you don't have to stop on the way to next pack.

Achievement "It's called HEALer for a reason": +5 achievement points for not wasting time

If you are dpsing and the tank is taking his sweet time, no doubt mustering what little courage he can scrape, you should show him how it's done.

Achievement "To battle!": +5 awesome points for jumping into the fray head on as a role other than a tank

Achievement "With no regret": +10 extra points if the group in question is dangerous enough to pose almost a challenge to your awesome skills

Achievement "What took you so long?": +10 extra points for being confident enough to lead the charge before the whole group gets there

Special attention should be given to knockbacks, if you have one, you have a unique opportunity to demonstrate your awesomeness to players and mobs alike!

Achievement "Take a number and wait your turn": +5 awesome points for knocking mobs away from melee, protecting them from damage and giving them an option to pick their targets at their leisure

Achievement "Sit down!!": +5 awesome points for starting fight by knocking mobs on their asses with Force Wave/Overload as shadow/assassin tank

Everyone loves shortcuts. But the ignorant rabble you get paired with probably knows nothing about them. Once again you should be an example and lead on. However, some reprimanding should be dispensed if someone proves to be incompetent of following you and pulls the easily skippable mobs.

Achievement "Watch it, mate": +5 awesome points for showing the inexperienced some tough love

In case you use stealth CC in an awesome capacity that will enable you to skip otherwise unskippable, some peasants will get overconfident and move too close to still awake mobs or outright attack. After you dispatch the pack, you need to set them straight.

Achievement "Hug it 'till it loves you": +5 awesome points for pointing out their incompetence

Achievement "Elementary, my dear Watson": +10 awesome points for figuring out who, how and why pulled the pack without actually seeing it happen

Achievement "Y SO DFNSV?": +10 awesome points for recognizing their defensiveness as admission of guilt

Achievement "Big boned": +10 bonus points for not putting up with their bogus excuses and leaving them to their fates

Chapter three: The whole point

Bosses are a mild annoyance due to the various wannabe mechanics that could threaten less awesome people than you. Time for you to keep shining brightly in the face of pretended adversity!

You know those pesky markers? It's a cheap trick to make you move instead of doing super high damage/ super awesome healing, don't fall for it. Sometimes there are no markers, just over the top animation, same idea.

Achievement "Insufficient Bluff check": +5 awesome points for not getting distracted from whatever you are doing by flashy visual effects

In case of a bug or a glitch when you do take damage from some crap on the floor, the healer will compensate for this. Unless the healer is useless. In which case he needs to be informed of this fact.

Achievement "Dude, wake up!": +10 awesome points for reminding the healer to be on the lookout for those glitches

Loot time! As we already established, you are the one carrying all the others throught the content none of them would be able to survive otherwise. "Need" and "Greed" are pointless labels that will only confuse their true meaning.

Achievement "He takes a wee percentage": +20 awesome points for recognizing the "Need" button as "Deserve" button

If this was the last boss, many people usually say something along the lines of "thanks for the run/group". This is, of course, aimed at you. You have two ways to deal with this. Either by being modest or embracing the reward of your awesomeness.

Achievement "Oh, stop it, you!": +1 awesome point for staying silent

Achievement "Sometimes I even amaze myself": +10 awesome points for saying "You're welcome"

Bonus round!

These are just little things that can contribute to how awesome you appear

Achievement "Raising the bar...in space!": +5 awesome points for explaining to the uneducated how to boost through wordy cutscenes

Achievement "Good practice": +10 extra points for doing it in a story mode instance

Achievement "Don't shoot the messenger": +5 awesome points for telling the noobs that they indeed are noobs

Achievement "Tempus fugit": +5 awesome points for reminding everyone that you have other places to be and they should pick up the pace

Achievement "Actually, it does exactly that": +5 awesome points for not using your interrupt skill ever, as it would only disctract you from your awesome performance

Achievement "My people need me": +10 awesome points for dropping group for no apparent reason

Since I do not consider myself to be an awesome player by any stretch of the imagination, this list is by no means comprehensive. I have, however, met a lot of these elite uber people on well over a hundred different characters. Some left impressions so deep I have remembered their legacy names and whenever I see that name with the same guild tag, I recognize that character as being played by a super awesome being. Then again, I, as many simple peasants, am quite easily impressed and award awesomeness recognition badges for as little as 10 or 20 awesome points. You may have to try harder to impress more skilled players.

So go out there and fake it 'till you make it!

Those achievement titles made me laugh and will probably come to mind when I inevitably once again witness the awesomeness firsthand. Nice work! My favourites were:

"My credentials are in order": +10 awesome points for assuring the frightful that your previous experience with the content on other characters and innate skill is enough to compensate for your modest gear

"Sit down!!": +5 awesome points for starting fight by knocking mobs on their asses with Force Wave/Overload as shadow/assassin tank

How to be awesome? Queue as tank with actually tank gear, tank stance and use your taunt and people will start to worship your name,

Wrong-thought detected! Wrong-thought detected!

Get the straight-jacket boys, we got a live one here!

(Good thread OP, will definitely read again :) Please post, people, the "Weird People in GF" thread is now approaching 140 pages, so we've got some catching up to do.)

Great read OP, thank you! :)

CC is cheesing, real men take all the mobs at once and mow them down with their high numbers flying left, right, and center.

Achievement "Lead by example":+2 awesome points for breaking those unnecessary CC

Achievement "Teach the ignorant":+5 awesome points for scolding the fearful for using unnecessary CC

What? No +1 awesome points if it's broken with a single target attack? I'm a bit hurt now.

Edited by KittyCheshire

How to be awesome? Queue as tank with actually tank gear, tank stance and use your taunt and people will start to worship your name,

Never ever open up with a taunt. What's the matter with you? :eek::rak_02:

Edited by slafko

Well, the TC is quite wrong in alot of those awesome bits, if you don't know what to do, you get kicked out after being told to figure it out before finding another group.

You have to know everything prior to getting into a group or you suck, not my rules, its just the rules that the GF groupers have forced on everyone, such as being pressured into space barring through all the conversations regardless if you have seen it before or not, they just say 'i don't give a s*it, skip it or leave'....so i just avoid the Groupfinder unless i am with a full group of guildies, then we go through it, otherwise its 'stick to solo-play to avoid the morons'.