Nightmare Kephess, a Guide

trenchers automatically pop with double aggro on tanks. Helps for them to pick up the trenchers and seperate from the warriors. This phase is easy peasy if you just have your melee dps burning warriors while the trenchers run to the tanks and your ranged aoe them down.

trenchers automatically pop with double aggro on tanks. Helps for them to pick up the trenchers and seperate from the warriors. This phase is easy peasy if you just have your melee dps burning warriors while the trenchers run to the tanks and your ranged aoe them down.

Heres some numbers for those wondering: Tanks get 200 threat each when warriors and trenchcutters first spawn each time. So the first group always comes to tanks since there isnt anything else going on. As you get into group 2 and 3 though, they are spawning while healers are pumping out pretty decent hps, so thats when you see them breaking off for healers after a few seconds. And just to clarify if people dont know, healing threat is [(total healing done*.5)/number of active targets]. Talent multipliers can alter the .5 depending on how many points they have in it.

23:14:09.999 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Trenchcutter.

23:14:10.000 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Warrior.

23:14:10.002 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Trenchcutter.

23:14:10.003 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Trenchcutter.

23:14:10.054 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Trenchcutter.

23:14:10.056 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Warrior.

23:14:10.057 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Trenchcutter.

Edited by rphebus

The area you were referencing to earlier, isnt behind the walker, isnt in a corner of the room; but is in the middle of the area where the second saturation fire lands. It is an exploit in my eyes based off the fact there isnt a plausible reason why you would be safe in that spot. I have come across that spot on a few occasions in the past, when i was slacking and standing in fire, and felt that it was odd that i didnt get hit.

That is not correct, the spot I am referring to is in between the first two saturation fires, if you think of both areas that are hit as two circles, then the spot is just behind those two circles. If you look at the fire on the ground were the saturation fire hits you are able to see a lot of these spots.

I made a very very bad picture in paint to illustrate what I meant: http://i.imm.io/PkkF.jpeg

Heres some numbers for those wondering: Tanks get 200 threat each when warriors and trenchcutters first spawn each time. So the first group always comes to tanks since there isnt anything else going on. As you get into group 2 and 3 though, they are spawning while healers are pumping out pretty decent hps, so thats when you see them breaking off for healers after a few seconds. And just to clarify if people dont know, healing threat is [(total healing done*.5)/number of active targets]. Talent multipliers can alter the .5 depending on how many points they have in it.

havent had a problem with groups 2 or 3 of that phase in the fight. The mobs are dead before the next group spawns so no massive heals being tossed around and the mobs run straight to our tanks everytime.

23:14:09.999 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Trenchcutter.

23:14:10.000 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Warrior.

23:14:10.002 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Trenchcutter.

23:14:10.003 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Trenchcutter.

23:14:10.054 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Trenchcutter.

23:14:10.056 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Warrior.

23:14:10.057 Maeday gains 200 threat on Trandoshan Trenchcutter.

I know they all spawn with the same threat on tanks and healers (200 and 100), but for some reason it seems like the Warriors and Trenchcutters build threat differently. They always will all start out running towards me (tank), but the Warriors quickly get aggroed by the healers and the Trenchcutters do not. They keep running right at me.

Edited by Denchet

Yeah they do build it differently, to what extent i do not know. Ive been looking over several logs for all of our attempts but havent found a pattern to it yet.

The only thing that i can come up with is warriors follow the standard threat model, and trenchcutters are focused on the tank until damage is done, then they too follow the normal threat table. It's almost like they are not in combat until someone tags them. Noticed this at times when a dps does a ranged auto attack or dot before they get to us, then zone in on him but after a few steps healers will get aggro if they arent properly picked up.

While we're on the subject though, i have another issue thats been bothering me. I, as a tank, never get trenchcutters. When they spawn they always run to the other tank. Done it with 4-5 other tanks, both hm and nim, and they always run to them, not me. It doesnt make much of a difference anyways since i aoe and get them all, but ive never understood why. Its annoying.

Edited by rphebus

While we're on the subject though, i have another issue thats been bothering me. I, as a tank, never get trenchcutters. When they spawn they always run to the other tank. Done it with 4-5 other tanks, both hm and nim, and they always run to them, not me. It doesnt make much of a difference anyways since i aoe and get them all, but ive never understood why. Its annoying.

We have a couple of theories on this. Before I started guarding our Vanguard tank, I almost always got threat, but he occasionally got it instead. We think I was usually getting it because of Shadow self heals, but we also think there is some sort of weird proximity thing. If we were both far away, they always seemed to go to me. If he was right next to them when they spawned and I was far away, they would either all go to him, or split up. Sometimes two would go to him, sometimes half would go to him. It was very strange. Me guarding him fixed that though.

Edited by Denchet

• 2 weeks later...
wot i dont get is why so many smugglers. surely its not the only group you can take to nim.

lol

At the time we had 9 active raiders in our guild. We now have 8 (we lost the Sentinel). We just happen to have 3 Smugglers, 3 Consulars, and 2 Troopers. We didn't go out of our way to avoid Knights, it just kind of worked out that way.

You can beat it without so many Smugglers, other groups have done it.

Edited by Denchet

lol

At the time we had 9 active raiders in our guild. We now have 8 (we lost the Sentinel). We just happen to have 3 Smugglers, 3 Consulars, and 2 Troopers. We didn't go out of our way to avoid Knights, it just kind of worked out that way.

You can beat it without so many Smugglers, other groups have done it.

ah i see so more a case of who you had rather than this is best group set up. as vanguard dps my main i hope to get into nim soon ;p

• 2 months later...

Great video and thank you for the strat, my guild will be trying it tonight. Just thought I'd let you know that if an extra bomber shows up, you can have a sage or someone CC him an let his timer run out, so it won't bug you.

Here is a picture that I drew up that explains where all the purple fire falls:

http://i50.tinypic.com/l8m4i.jpg

Don't mind a lot of the notes around the edges, that was drawn up when we were first doing HM Kephess. The stuff in the top left corner is still valuable though, it gives the order of the fire drops.

Edited by NwahsNirom