no one ever made an actual romance guide for companions?

GavinRuneblade

I'm actually surprised but I can't find any guides for co panion romance. There's places that say which companions are and are not romanceable. And some sites list values for affection from gifts. But no actual "do this to see it all" guides anywhere?

Even fairly basic questions just can't find answers to, like the sith warrior used to be able to marry both vette and jaesa, was that ever changed or still in? What about the smuggler or agent or female sith warriors? For all those with options, what are the "don't go past here if you plan to Romans the other person" points?

Do you only get one chance to remove vettes collar or does she ask again later? Can a light side warrior turn jaesa dark?

Dulfy has a table with affection triggers for romance view and several of them are negative:

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/romancetriggers.jpg

Any good ways to farm negative affection? Gaining it is easy how do you get hundreds of negative? And what does it mean by "possible"? Do you have to go forward to a certain point then back down to see those vids? I tried looking in youtube but only found examples of the purely positive romance cut scenes. I'm very curious about mako airic Kira and corsos extra scenes.

Edited by GavinRuneblade

You can get negative affection only through dialog choices (AFAIK). I pissed off Gault by nixing one of his scams last night, for example.

Not sure why you would WANT negative affection, though ---- positive affection increases Crew Skill Mission success / critical rates somehow, I believe. As well as time-to-return, I think. Just no reason to go negative (except to follow a dialog path YOU prefer, even if the companion hates it).

As for the romance cut-off points... it can be a bit dicey. especially because some Companions actually DON'T like it when you flirt with them (as I recall). It may be that even though you get negative reactions, choosing the [ Flirt ] option still tells the GAME you want to proceed toward that goal. I dunno.

If you WANT to nix the romance, there will usually be a point where you can definitively kill it. My Sith Warrior was stringing Quinn along for a while but when he got all serious, I had to clarify that he was a fun toy but that was it. Later in that story, of course, I found plenty of opportunities to use the Sith Pureblood /punish emote on him. :E

I did a darkside female slinger toon with Corso the entire time at negative, was very fun actually constantly rubbing his face in how selfish and horrible I was being. Quite refreshing after having done most of my toons lightside.

From a powercrafting perspective it doesn't make sense of course to have companions at negative affection, but that toon is not a crafter.

I did a darkside female slinger toon with Corso the entire time at negative, was very fun actually constantly rubbing his face in how selfish and horrible I was being. Quite refreshing after having done most of my toons lightside.

From a powercrafting perspective it doesn't make sense of course to have companions at negative affection, but that toon is not a crafter.

Hmm, would you rate any of those cutscenes as "romance plot" related? Or just "I'm unhappy"? Did you see all four do you think?

Romancing companions is a big hobby of mine since the game launched, so by now I thought I pretty much had most of it all figured out. Yet I have never heard of companions having special conversations at negative affection levels. I'm curious about this, but also skeptical. Maybe they actually do have a few special conversations, but I can't imagine how any of them could be "romance" conversations, since those are only triggered by specific conversation choices that happen at certain (positive) affection (and class story) levels. I suppose it's theoretically possible that you could reach the level required to trigger the romance, then lose affection until you reached the other negative level, but that's the only way I could see this working. If someone has proof of any negative affection conversation cut scenes, please post links so we can see them!

Male Sith warrior is one of the few gender/class combos I haven't gotten very far in yet, so I can't tell you too much about that. But if you say that you used to be able to marry both Jaesa and Vette, then you still can, since no changes or updates have been made to companion cut scenes since launch.

I believe you get three chances to remove Vette's collar. If you refuse for the third time, your conversations with her will stall and she will refuse to talk to you further until you eventually remove it. Clicking on her will give you a cut scene of her demanding you remove it over and over until you do.

Jaesa can only turn dark during the quest where you acquire her. Once she is on your ship, she is locked in to a light or dark version and cannot be changed. How you choose which version of Jaesa you get is still up for some debate. However, I believe it depends more on your choices during her initial quest chain than it does on your actual alignment. So in theory, a primarily light sided warrior can end up with a dark side Jaesa. Maybe someone who has tried that can confirm.

Jaesa can only turn dark during the quest where you acquire her. Once she is on your ship, she is locked in to a light or dark version and cannot be changed. How you choose which version of Jaesa you get is still up for some debate. However, I believe it depends more on your choices during her initial quest chain than it does on your actual alignment. So in theory, a primarily light sided warrior can end up with a dark side Jaesa. Maybe someone who has tried that can confirm.

I am curious about this too a LS Sith and Dark Jaesa would be interesting to say the least

Not sure why you would WANT negative affection, though ---- positive affection increases Crew Skill Mission success / critical rates somehow, I believe. As well as time-to-return, I think. Just no reason to go negative (except to follow a dialog path YOU prefer, even if the companion hates it).

Just want to comment on this point...

To me, making conversation choices solely based on the fact that it makes your companion happy, makes for a lot of nonsensical conversations. Choose the option in the wheel that makes the most sense based on whatever character personality you wish to portray. So what if your companion dislikes your responses? Firstly the negative impact is FAR less than the positive (i.e. make a positive choice and you gain 15 affection, you make a negative choice you lose 1 affection). Secondly, that's what companion gifts are for.

As to the specifics of the crew skill benefits: every 2000 affection a companion's critical success and efficiency ("time-to-return") goes up by 1%. So at 10000, a companion has +5% crit and efficiency for every crew skill. Now this is a plateau system: 0-1999 = 0% 2000-3999 = 1% etc. So the only way a negative affection choice impacts crew skills is if it takes your companion under one of the plateaus (i.e. companion is at exactly 2000 affection, you choose a conversation option that results in a -1 affection and that companion is now at 1999).

Just want to comment on this point...

To me, making conversation choices solely based on the fact that it makes your companion happy, makes for a lot of nonsensical conversations. Choose the option in the wheel that makes the most sense based on whatever character personality you wish to portray.

<snippity snip snip>

choose a conversation option that results in a -1 affection and that companion is now at 1999).

Once again, you are now the third person to completely miss the purpose. Please check the link above in my original post. Per dulfy four specific companions have romance cutscenes that only unlock at specific negative reputation values.

This thread is not about companion affection in general, it is about unlocking every single cutscene for romance.

Not trying to be snarky or harsh, just trying to prevent a derail ^.^

Edited by GavinRuneblade

Romancing companions is a big hobby of mine since the game launched, so by now I thought I pretty much had most of it all figured out. Yet I have never heard of companions having special conversations at negative affection levels. I'm curious about this, but also skeptical. Maybe they actually do have a few special conversations, but I can't imagine how any of them could be "romance" conversations, since those are only triggered by specific conversation choices that happen at certain (positive) affection (and class story) levels. I suppose it's theoretically possible that you could reach the level required to trigger the romance, then lose affection until you reached the other negative level, but that's the only way I could see this working. If someone has proof of any negative affection conversation cut scenes, please post links so we can see them!

This was my assumption too. Get high enough or far enough to open the potential, then plummet in affection and see something unique. Which is why I was wondering about ways to farm negative affection. Black talon or esseles maybe? Those have a ton of conversations. But its really hard to get more than -1 from a convo.

Male Sith warrior is one of the few gender/class combos I haven't gotten very far in yet, so I can't tell you too much about that. But if you say that you used to be able to marry both Jaesa and Vette, then you still can, since no changes or updates have been made to companion cut scenes since launch.

I'll do some forum searches, but when I was playing before I remember people saying it was blocked. The trick was getting one past the "you must break it off with that other chick" conversation before even starting a romance with the other, then marry the other, then go back and marry the first. I also seem to remember it only works in one direction.

If I remember it right. But like I said, just as I was leaving I remember talking about it being patched out. Lemme see if I can find anything about it.

Incidentally, since you said that you do a lot of the romances, in order to get the legacy unlocks for companions do you need to do the character classes with two romance options twice (one for each)? I've seen conflicting information on that.

Edited by GavinRuneblade

I'll do some forum searches, but when I was playing before I remember people saying it was blocked. The trick was getting one past the "you must break it off with that other chick" conversation before even starting a romance with the other, then marry the other, then go back and marry the first. I also seem to remember it only works in one direction.

I recall people on the forums saying they were able to do what your described as well. I've never tried it myself. I don't recall ever seeing any patches that dealt with changes to companion conversations, so in theory this still should be possible...Maybe you should try it and let us know. :D

Incidentally, since you said that you do a lot of the romances, in order to get the legacy unlocks for companions do you need to do the character classes with two romance options twice (one for each)? I've seen conflicting information on that.

Are you talking about getting the companion legacy buff for each role type? For companion legacy buffs, you only need to unlock one of each role type, and it will grant the buff to your entire legacy. For example, once you have unlocked all conversations with Corso, you now have the buff for "ranged tank companions." Completing the conversations for another ranged tank companion (any class, any faction) will do nothing, since the buff has already been granted to all the chars in your legacy. This works for all companions, romance or not. Also note that you only need to finish all conversations available for the companion to get this unlock. It does not require that you get to 10,000 affection. (10,000 affection IS required for the maximum crew skill bonus, however.) Gosh, when I type this out it sounds so confusing.

As far as unlocking the companion portraits on the legacy screen for conversations go, the only weirdness is in the case of light side/dark side Jaesa, who I believe has two separate portraits for each version of herself. If you want to see both versions unlocked, you must do each one separately. (In other words, by playing two separate warriors.)