Armor Dyes?

sithterror

I havent seen any threads brought up about this in the 4 pages i looked in. Yes, almost every other MMO has a function similar to this, should SWTOR also have one?

Having played SWG and every MMO since then....i Kinda miss having the ability to change my color scheme on any of my armor. I mean we are all gated, to a degree, in preset colors for any of the armor we wear: Rakata, Black-Hole, Battlemaster, War-Hero, etc. While some colors are 'decent' others are not.

Thus, having a big palette of colors to choose for main and trim coloring would make me standout from another player wearing the same armor.

Is this just me wanting fluff or is this something we can all benefit from, to a degree, and need to ask for it be added to the game?

I really think it's a good idea. If there is one thing I can't stand in a MMORPG, or any MMO game is the fact that I can't match my colors because one piece of armor is stronger than the last piece I had on, so therefore now my colors of armor does not match. It's rather annoying not matching. I have to match everything on me in real life and when I play a game and I see my character looking like some slum out of the streets because she doesn't match, it drives me nuts! I have actually made a set of lower level armor to RP in because the armor that I wear when I am fighting does not match at all.. It really does drive me nuts and I have to agree. I really think that having a way to "apply" color to our armor would be a wonderful idea! ;)

I really think it's a good idea. If there is one thing I can't stand in a MMORPG, or any MMO game is the fact that I can't match my colors because one piece of armor is stronger than the last piece I had on, so therefore now my colors of armor does not match. It's rather annoying not matching. I have to match everything on me in real life and when I play a game and I see my character looking like some slum out of the streets because she doesn't match, it drives me nuts! I have actually made a set of lower level armor to RP in because the armor that I wear when I am fighting does not match at all.. It really does drive me nuts and I have to agree. I really think that having a way to "apply" color to our armor would be a wonderful idea! ;)

You can make all your armor match the chest piece. That's already in game. It's an option under the Character/equipment screen.

You can make all your armor match the chest piece. That's already in game. It's an option under the Character/equipment screen.

which doesnt help when you're wearing a set...ooo i can make all my troopers armour match my black rakatta chest! oh wait..it already does

the ability to actually change that chest's colour is what would be nice , unification was just the lazy "sod it thats good enough" way out

making everything one color and making it the color you want are two different things

I like the idea, and besides, cybertech needs more to sell anyway

This is an excelllent thread, this should alreday be in-game, not everyone wants to run around looking just like the guy next to them... or "match" the gear they have to the chest piece, which still doesnt really match 100%. I'm not sure why armor coloring is some kind of locked thing in this game, especially when some of the colors are horrible to begin with... orange anyone?

The "unfiy colours" doesn't always give the desired results, if, like the Commando Elite chest piece your armor has some fine detailing (a yellow/gold piping effect down the flanks in this case) in another colour to the main scheme you may end up with some unexpected results. When I unify colours when wearing the Commando Elite chest piece my boots end up being yellow and white instead of black and white, which is the main colour theme of the armour I was aiming for. Yes, I know I can just unselect the boots for colour unification. But armour dyes would be a handy way to pimp your gear in the way you want, rather than the way Bioware has seen fit to give us so far ( maybe Mr Lucas et al don't want to see pink attired Darths, I don't know)

They would also provide BW with another money sink for the age old problem of inflation in MMOs.

Edited by Froglet

Agreed. This feature is in every MMO I've played recently. SWG required the item to be crafted that color and LOTRO has dyes and dye wash.

This feature is needed as another time sink IMO.

Swijr

im the type of person who will lose a few stats just so i can look sexy. like right now i use the balmorra commendations vibroblade instead of a custom crit crafted saber.

when i heard you could paint your gear in 1.2 i was so happy.

but after 1.2 i gotta say the match your chest color crap is the lamest color customization i have ever seen in a game.

like im pretty sure you could not have picked a worse way to implement this feature.

saying you failed does not even bring it justice :(

this is of course just my opinion but im disappointed

while im QQing i might as well mention they need to makes some sexy looking armor, exotic stuff. im sick of brown capes and japanese samurai helmets or head bands. where is the creativity for the republic? i made a sith sorc and at level 23 he is epic looking yet my 50 guardian looks like some average dude (or a complete fail if helmets not hid). the warhero gear is better but is nowhere near what it should be.

i want to be sexy to :( show me some love^^

which doesnt help when you're wearing a set...ooo i can make all my troopers armour match my black rakatta chest! oh wait..it already does

the ability to actually change that chest's colour is what would be nice , unification was just the lazy "sod it thats good enough" way out

You know, instead of being a jerk in your reply, you could take a moment to realize that the poster you are responding to wasn't making any comment about the unify colors option with regard to dyes, he was helping a previous poster who specifically mentioned that she hated when she had gear that clashed. You can infer from this that she likely missed the patch note about the unify colors option being implemented.

He never once said anything remotely close to the option with regards to dyes. He was being helping someone else understand what they can do now.

As for the topic of dyes, I'm indifferent. The Unify Colors option actually was, largely, enough for me. Of course, that's not reason to say that it should not be available. Ultimately, I think dyes might actually be worse for the game (but not necessarily enough to warrant keeping them out, if players really desire them).

I think there are a few things that need to be considered:

1. Dyes were partly an answer to two problems in many games they were implemented for. Yes, the ability to choose your character's color was a motivation as well. But they were primarily implemented to solve the problem of gear clashing and lack of variety. While leveling, you'd use whatever came along. If the best was hot pink pants with a lime green top, then that's what you wore. Dyes helped remedy that. When you reached endgame, everyone was using the same powerful items (or worse, sets), so this again added variety.

This isn't a problem in TOR. The Unify colors option has effectively removed clashing as an issue. And as modding is now required for optimal stats, players are free to choose their pieces from a huge variety of item models. The issues that led to the implementation of dyes just don't exist in TOR. As mentioned earlier, that doesn't mean they can't consider the desire of the community as a sufficient motivation--all I'm doing here is pointing out why "Well <insert game> had them!" is not a convincing argument. It would be better to say "Well, the implementation of dyes into <insert game> gave me the ability to <action> that is missing from TOR and meaningfully affects my enjoyment of the game."

2. Dyes would have a meaningful (detrimental) impact on the capability of crew skills, which 1.2 just went to great lengths to make more valuable. Modifiable items are now an actual commodity, particularly in their crit forms. The primary money-making ability of the armor-crafting skills is from the creation of augments and these modifiable items.

As of right now, the most important craftable items are the chest pieces. These are what players care the most for outright, as most of your attention is going to be focused there while playing. Right now, many chest skins have multiple versions that are only differentiated by color scheme. In virtue of the fact that there are people who will desire more than one of these items, that increases the market (as, if players freely chose the color, they'd only ever have reason to buy one of these items). The unify colors options has effectively made chest pieces the only way for crafters to economically gain from that diversity.

These schematics are also selling for quite a bit of money--eliminating their distinct value that's solely based on their color would be a pretty big loss for those investments.

And lets not forget that there are still modifiable items that actually have requirements like valor rank, making the color a prestige note.

3. Dyes for other games were dealing with much, much simpler gear pieces. Right now, the only color-swapping gear is for the more, well, "basic" gear pieces. Most of them aren't nearly as elaborate as many chest pieces are. For instance, the robe my Jedi Knight is wearing right now has 4 different color fabrics, plus different colors in its detailing and embroidery. Making that compatible with dyes will be very difficult. The unify colors feature tends to just sorta "wash" the item in that color, which works because they aren't focal points or covered in fine details. It will be much, much harder to implement with chest pieces. Even if the dye just changed the "primary" color (the one used to judge what colors the other gear should take when unified), it might very well end up looking funky. The chest pieces in EQ2 weren't nearly so complex.

4. Finally, let's just get down to it and ask if this is something the player base, as a whole, really wants. I'm strongly inclined to imagine that it does not. It is certainly a subset of the player base that cared about potential clashing enough to make it an issue they wanted addressed quickly (meaning, before other major complaints).

I'm very strongly inclined to say that the Unify Colors option was exactly what most people wanted. It's simple to use and requires no micro-management at all. There's no dye shopping, no need to plan out the colors and accents of your outfit. You just press a button, and your colors are all cohesive. Better yet, you switch a chest piece to a different color, press the button, and they are again cohesive.

I know this doesn't help the group who does want control of those colors (particularly the ability to freely choose their chest color), but I do think that we are currently in the best state for everyone. It's not too much busywork or planning, it allows for a ton of customization, and you always match. Yeah, you don't have a ton of color options per skin, but you DO have them. And you're only going to gain more with time.

So yeah, I'm inclined to say it would hurt the game. Maybe not a ton--maybe giving the relevant dyes to SW/AM might boost their sales, but overall I'm expecting it to be less well-received by more players than the UC option is.

You know, instead of being a jerk in your reply, you could take a moment to realize that the poster you are responding to wasn't making any comment about the unify colors option with regard to dyes, he was helping a previous poster who specifically mentioned that she hated when she had gear that clashed. You can infer from this that she likely missed the patch note about the unify colors option being implemented.

He never once said anything remotely close to the option with regards to dyes. He was being helping someone else understand what they can do now.

Nice to see that someone is actually providing a decent discussion rather then just trying to burn someone.

Though I tend to disagree a little, I think color changes would help the game by showing each players individuality. It would be cool to see what combinations they came up with. Although I think the unify colors is a good start, I hope they dedicate a little more time to offering some more customization to armor colors (though I think it should really be on the bottom of the list under fixing the bugs etc).

Unify was NOT what most people wanted. From the start of Beta, people have been asking for an armor dye system. Instead,BW took the lazy way out and forced this ridiculously fail mechanic on us rather than take the time to code a proper system.

In fact, the first time they introduced it, it sucked so bad they took it out and 'upgraded' it to what we see now. I haven't noticed a difference. It still looks like crap, and no one I know actually likes it.

Yes it does! Why do I say that, because when your Rp'ing and someone walks right up to you and has the same exact outfit that you have on, it kind of makes it hard to take anyone really serious. It sucks not being about to actually change the color of our armor, not to mention I really think they need to put a type of "street" clothes into the game and be able to change the color of that. I personally don't like looking the exact same way someone else does. It's annoying as H3LL!!! :eek:

I hate (I'm lying, I LOVE) to be a pessimist, but does it really matter what color your potato sack armor is?

As for the topic of dyes, I'm indifferent. The Unify Colors option actually was, largely, enough for me. Of course, that's not reason to say that it should not be available. Ultimately, I think dyes might actually be worse for the game (but not necessarily enough to warrant keeping them out, if players really desire them).

I think there are a few things that need to be considered:

1. Dyes were partly an answer to two problems in many games they were implemented for. Yes, the ability to choose your character's color was a motivation as well. But they were primarily implemented to solve the problem of gear clashing and lack of variety. While leveling, you'd use whatever came along. If the best was hot pink pants with a lime green top, then that's what you wore. Dyes helped remedy that. When you reached endgame, everyone was using the same powerful items (or worse, sets), so this again added variety.

This isn't a problem in TOR. The Unify colors option has effectively removed clashing as an issue. And as modding is now required for optimal stats, players are free to choose their pieces from a huge variety of item models. The issues that led to the implementation of dyes just don't exist in TOR. As mentioned earlier, that doesn't mean they can't consider the desire of the community as a sufficient motivation--all I'm doing here is pointing out why "Well <insert game> had them!" is not a convincing argument. It would be better to say "Well, the implementation of dyes into <insert game> gave me the ability to <action> that is missing from TOR and meaningfully affects my enjoyment of the game."

2. Dyes would have a meaningful (detrimental) impact on the capability of crew skills, which 1.2 just went to great lengths to make more valuable. Modifiable items are now an actual commodity, particularly in their crit forms. The primary money-making ability of the armor-crafting skills is from the creation of augments and these modifiable items.

As of right now, the most important craftable items are the chest pieces. These are what players care the most for outright, as most of your attention is going to be focused there while playing. Right now, many chest skins have multiple versions that are only differentiated by color scheme. In virtue of the fact that there are people who will desire more than one of these items, that increases the market (as, if players freely chose the color, they'd only ever have reason to buy one of these items). The unify colors options has effectively made chest pieces the only way for crafters to economically gain from that diversity.

These schematics are also selling for quite a bit of money--eliminating their distinct value that's solely based on their color would be a pretty big loss for those investments.

And lets not forget that there are still modifiable items that actually have requirements like valor rank, making the color a prestige note.

3. Dyes for other games were dealing with much, much simpler gear pieces. Right now, the only color-swapping gear is for the more, well, "basic" gear pieces. Most of them aren't nearly as elaborate as many chest pieces are. For instance, the robe my Jedi Knight is wearing right now has 4 different color fabrics, plus different colors in its detailing and embroidery. Making that compatible with dyes will be very difficult. The unify colors feature tends to just sorta "wash" the item in that color, which works because they aren't focal points or covered in fine details. It will be much, much harder to implement with chest pieces. Even if the dye just changed the "primary" color (the one used to judge what colors the other gear should take when unified), it might very well end up looking funky. The chest pieces in EQ2 weren't nearly so complex.

4. Finally, let's just get down to it and ask if this is something the player base, as a whole, really wants. I'm strongly inclined to imagine that it does not. It is certainly a subset of the player base that cared about potential clashing enough to make it an issue they wanted addressed quickly (meaning, before other major complaints).

I'm very strongly inclined to say that the Unify Colors option was exactly what most people wanted. It's simple to use and requires no micro-management at all. There's no dye shopping, no need to plan out the colors and accents of your outfit. You just press a button, and your colors are all cohesive. Better yet, you switch a chest piece to a different color, press the button, and they are again cohesive.

I know this doesn't help the group who does want control of those colors (particularly the ability to freely choose their chest color), but I do think that we are currently in the best state for everyone. It's not too much busywork or planning, it allows for a ton of customization, and you always match. Yeah, you don't have a ton of color options per skin, but you DO have them. And you're only going to gain more with time.

So yeah, I'm inclined to say it would hurt the game. Maybe not a ton--maybe giving the relevant dyes to SW/AM might boost their sales, but overall I'm expecting it to be less well-received by more players than the UC option is.

iDiggory has broken down the issues with a dye system in THIS game very well. Dye systems may have worked well in other games, but it will not work in this one.

I agree with everything he says.

Yes it does! Why do I say that, because when your Rp'ing and someone walks right up to you and has the same exact outfit that you have on, it kind of makes it hard to take anyone really serious. It sucks not being about to actually change the color of our armor, not to mention I really think they need to put a type of "street" clothes into the game and be able to change the color of that. I personally don't like looking the exact same way someone else does. It's annoying as H3LL!!! :eek:

The problem is that in my experiences with dye systems it rarely works out the way you hope.

In EQ1, I was playing that game when the dye system launched. Do you know how many characters were all black, or white or red? I would sell cleric buffs in Plane of Knowledge and there was once TEN characters all in black in line.

And I got one better. My three friends and I saw this trend and decided to "go rainbow". every piece of equipment we wore was a different color. And we even worked it out so that no one piece amongst ourselves was the same color (one character had blue chest another had a yellow chest a third had red and the fourth had green). It was god awful looking but we definitely stood out :).

Now because we were only four (BTW we had the perfect group setup - warrior (tank), cleric (heal), enchanter (slow and CC) and druid (DPS and CC) and were all in a hardcore raiding guild. So we could bring any two shlubs who wanted a group with us) and the standard group for EQ1 was six we would bring in random players to fill our group. Eventually enough players saw us and wanted to be "different" than everyone else, that total strangers started copying what my friends and I had done to actually be different. Eventually our attempt to be different failed.

My point is, you would be amazed how often different people have the same tastes.

I want Guild Wars 2 dye system. You start out with like 20 colors I think you can choose from, and 3 slots on each piece of armor to dye. As you're adventuring you can loot colorful dye seeds, which can be brought to some trader and you get a random dye color. There's over 400 colors in all

I want Guild Wars 2 dye system. You start out with like 20 colors I think you can choose from, and 3 slots on each piece of armor to dye. As you're adventuring you can loot colorful dye seeds, which can be brought to some trader and you get a random dye color. There's over 400 colors in all

Problem is that GW2's system is in the original code; they planned for it, probably since day one of development. Implementing something like that in an existing system is all but impossible; it is EXTREMELY impractical.

I think dyes would be a good idea, and as for incorporating a dye system into a already planned game is not that hard. It is just a matter of codes and a matter of implying them into the system. All games are made the same way, regardless of "what" it is, and it can be very easily done and it doesn't make any since on why people would be bothered by having it. It would unify colors better, and having the unify colors system in wasn't a bad idea, cept here is the problem. A friend of mine are both playing the same type of character (smuggler) we are leveling right next to each other, so the armor he get's I get. The only difference is that I am female and he is male. We both LOOK identical other than the fact that we are different sexes. So that's the problem that I have with the whole "unify colors system"! But like most of you, you don't have a clue what there is to make a game and introduce something new. It takes time and just a little information gathering and BOOM you can make something into the game. Not to mention selling dyes on the auction would help the crafters that don't make a lot of money because their "parts" aren't wanted very much to get a little bit of what they deserve. But like normal, most of the people won't listen to the ones that know what their talking about and listen to the children that are going to whine, so I am sure no one here has to worry about getting a dye system into the game. It is pointless to even worry about it, and I am not even 100% sure why I bother with my case. I thought it was an interesting topic and thought that people would actually understand it rather than whine and cry about "oh someone did this, or oh someone made someone mad", but like in every game system you have, your gonna have those one that are going to complain because of something that someone says. :rod_evil_g:

I have a chest-piece that has 5 different color versions for my warrior black/blue, black/red, black,purple, red/black, and brown/black. I would like dye to make it black/green because that is the color scheme I want but cannot currently. on my inquisitor it is worse as I possess 13 that are the same model with different coloring. Obviously at this point color has nothing to do with artistic integrity and each piece has a number of colors at play such a 1 2 3 and 4 color spots, why can we not change these to other colors?

In SWG, our PVP group ran around in all black composite armor with red helms. It was our group, other players knew it was our group and that added to the fun.

That's what I want dyes for. Before they even see our names....they'll see our colors. :p

Swijr

amen!

in swg, our pvp group ran around in all black composite armor with red helms. It was our group, other players knew it was our group and that added to the fun.

That's what i want dyes for. Before they even see our names....they'll see our colors. :p

swijr