How much Power is too much power?

Revearith

Unbuffed I'm am sitting at 1108 power(610 bonus damage)

unbuffed crit is 21%

unbuffed surge is 74%

acc is 101%

Strength is 1714

end 1670ish.

Is this too much power?

Bit too much power. Your crit is very low drop some power to pick that up should be around 25-30% unbuffed. Surge is pobably okay where it is 74-75%. Accuracy is fine. Could use a bit more strength as well. I would say you'll be fine with about 900ish power.

Unbuffed I'm am sitting at 1108 power(610 bonus damage)

unbuffed crit is 21%

unbuffed surge is 74%

acc is 101%

Strength is 1714

end 1670ish.

Is this too much power?

Depends on what spec you are as said above.

As of right now (i'm always swapping out mods and stuff to try and get more dps),I'm PVE Annihilation,and fully buffed with Rakata stim, I'm sitting at 1231 Power,with 1020 Force Bonus Damage.

37.31% Force Crit, and 106.7% Force Accuracy,and 78.44% Crit Multiplier

Depends on what spec you are as said above.

As of right now (i'm always swapping out mods and stuff to try and get more dps),I'm PVE Annihilation,and fully buffed with Rakata stim, I'm sitting at 1231 Power,with 1020 Force Bonus Damage.

37.31% Force Crit, and 106.7% Force Accuracy,and 78.44% Crit Multiplier

If youre at 106.7 force accuracy, that means youre only at 96.7 melee accuracy....O.o

Get 4 more accuracy! You WILL notice the difference in DPS

(Buffed)Update on Annihilation: Strength 1735. End 1699. Acc 98% Crit 27% Surge 75% power 1108.(629bonus damage buffed)

Ok I notice Annhilate hitting a consistent 2.9-3.1k on every none Heavy Armor Class, it hits tanks for 1.9k-2.2k(idk if that includes cd's) but the crits hit for 4.8k on average, a 3.5k-3.8k on tanks.

Bleeds, 3 stacks of deadly saber are hitting for 1.8-2k a tick and rupture is 300(560crit) so for an average of 2.1k with rupture and 3 stacks of deadly saber.

Right now I'n content, I plan on switching out mods for less acc and more surge so 96% acc and 77-78% surge.

Can't wait to test 33/8/0 with the Vindicator's 4 set bonus, 10% damage bonus for 5 seconds every 12 seconds.(7second CD essentially)

I am using the BH Boots over the Warhero so I'm lacking 110 expertise, I'm at 1098 expertise. any mod switching tips to get as much power and strength as I can while also getting the expertise?

I'm thinking-Keep BH Armoring but using the 53Surge-41power-30exp enhanment with the 30exp-39power WH deft mod 26 so a little less main/secondary stats for 60expertise. Worth it?

• 2 weeks later...
As far as anni goes, there can't really be "too much" power. Power is the only stat without diminishing returns and as long as you're above 1500 strength, it should be what you augment for, etc. However, you still want to keep your caps. Crit cap for anni only needs to be at around a 159 rating. Any more than that is overkill. Surge and accuracy are the same as any class. 75% and 110%. As long as you're within those caps, you should be fine.

As far as anni goes, there can't really be "too much" power. Power is the only stat without diminishing returns and as long as you're above 1500 strength, it should be what you augment for, etc. However, you still want to keep your caps. Crit cap for anni only needs to be at around a 159 rating. Any more than that is overkill. Surge and accuracy are the same as any class. 75% and 110%. As long as you're within those caps, you should be fine.

Where are you getting your numbers from?

1500 str and 159 crit rating... both are way off from what anyone has every said about annihilation.

You're right about one thing... in a vacuum, there's no such thing as "too much" Power, and it doesn't have diminishing returns at all. A vacuum isn't in game, and Power is not a top priority stat, though it is one to make an effort to obtain in abundance.

I can't think of any currently feasible in-game situation where you'd augment for Power, honestly, because the DR curve of STR's impact on Crit Rating is so gentle. It's not like you hit 1500 and it dives off a cliff. The ability to "double dip" on STR gains via Unnatural Might + Mark of Power slims the gap in contribution to bonus damage, and given that the difference is .02 bonus damage per stat point, the impact of STR on Crit Rating would have to be near zero to be irrelevant.

Next, I don't have the slightest clue where you're pulling 159 Crit Rating as "ideal" from. If you're going to throw out such a precise number, you'd better have a bunch of math, simulation, and/or a massive (hundreds to thousands of samples) in-game parse library with the data to back that statement up. More than ~275 rating (~10% Crit gain from Crit Rating) is probably less than ideal for any spec for PVE, as the DR curve is beginning to flatten out somewhat by that point. All 3 specs rely on non-automatic crits for significant portions of their damage, and I haven't parsed myself extensively enough on all 3 specs under similar conditions to state with any certainty where I think I would target my Crit Rating on any of the 3 (heavily dependent on percentage breakdown of damage per skill given current gear and ability to implement a correct priority system).

Next, 75% is a bad number to use for Surge, because there's no mention of whether Legacy companion buff is accounted for. Rating is the proper frame of reference, and 250-300 rating is the "money" spot. The first 200 points of Surge are the most impactful, the next 50 are still highly valuable, and the last 50 are worth pursuing as your overall gear level increases (the number of slots that need to be "burned" to reach 100% base Accuracy decreases).

Lastly, when you say 110% Accuracy, I really hope you're talking Special Accuracy, which you make no mention of.

Edited by Omophorus

Optimization complete!

Buffed I'm sitting at 1698 strength

611.2 bonus damage

30.66Crit

76.88 Surge

Playing with the Vindicator's Set Bonus in 33/8/0 I'm hitting everyone hard and it effects the dots, so when charging(say I get 3 stacks of DS and rupture on a target and charge another) it does an extra 190 damage for DS and an extra 50-60 for rupture dots. :)

I might grind out another set for pure le smash so 0 Crit: Surge > Power > Accuracy.

And see how much surge I can squeeze in to make smashes hit harder (hopefully by 1.3k-1.5k)

Anyone specialize in Le Smash and has maximum Surge? Any input would be helpful

Optimization complete!

611.2 bonus damage

30.66Crit

76.88 Surge

Playing with the Vindicator's Set Bonus in 33/8/0 I'm hitting everyone hard and it effects the dots, so when charging(say I get 3 stacks of DS and rupture on a target and charge another) it does an extra 190 damage for DS and an extra 50-60 for rupture dots. :)

I might grind out another set for pure le smash so 0 Crit: Surge > Power > Accuracy.

And see how much surge I can squeeze in to make smashes hit harder (hopefully by 1.3k-1.5k)

Your optimization is far from complete, your end stats should look like this fully buffed (Minus Stim, character builder doesn't have an option I can find for it)

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/5cd48d26-1023-401d-a166-527b62574fe8

For tips and tricks on doing the above go look at my reply in this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=520139

Your optimization is far from complete, your end stats should look like this fully buffed (Minus Stim, character builder doesn't have an option I can find for it)

that status seem very good but isn't he surge rate too high? almost everyone say that 75% should be the max to get, is just a doubt i have .

Edited by Zez-Kai-Ell

that status seem very good but isn't he surge rate too high? almost everyone say that 75% should be the max to get, is just a doubt i have .

I get 1% surge from having a companion at 10k affection. Most of the power enhancements have power/accuracy or power/surge. I chose Power/Surge

Mega, I read your response in the other thread involving using moddable gear and ripping the mods out of the Vindicator gear. Won't this leave you without a set bonus until you have 4 pieces of the War Hero Vindicator's gear? Do you just deal with that because you'll end up with a better set bonus in the end?

Mega, I read your response in the other thread involving using moddable gear and ripping the mods out of the Vindicator gear. Won't this leave you without a set bonus until you have 4 pieces of the War Hero Vindicator's gear? Do you just deal with that because you'll end up with a better set bonus in the end?

I was one of the lucky ones that bought all the Weaponmaster stuff first....... :eek:

However, and this may be just me, but I can not fathom the time sink to get all the money and time to get the money to buy the mods and rip them , etc.

I know you can do dailies and all that, but by the time I get home from work, walk the dogs, eat dinner, or go to happy hour... see a movie.... etc, I get a couple hours at best... it looks like I will be getting vindicator gear sometime in 2014. lol.

Optimization complete!

611.2 bonus damage

30.66Crit

76.88 Surge

What expertise are you running with? that's the most important stuff.

I am a power build carnage Mara. Seen lots of debate over which is better for carnage...power or crit. Seen arguments for either side of the debate but I have gone the power route. I don't really PvP much any more so mine is just a PvE plan. Right now have mostly rakata gear and a couple pieces of black hole gear. I have also swapped out mods in my rakata with BH mods and fully augmented in a mix of str/end and pwr/end augments. Also using crafted belt and bracers with the 26 mod and armoring. I know my crit rate is low but by focusing on power my general dmg is high enough to counter the lower crit. Fully buffed with exotech stim I am sitting around 2138 str, 694 bonus dmg (like 1013 power or something like that) making my primary hand range 1000-1153. My surge is at 77% (over the 75 due to the adept 26mods having pwr and surge) but my crit is only at 25%. Acc is at 101%

I can still do 1400+ dps using ACT on raid operations dummy for a 4-5min parse. Yes Ani is still touted as the highest dps version of mara due to dots/bleeds and some would tell you that having a low crit rate is death but from my own experiences and comparing to one of our raiding annihilation mara I am not seeing it. My power/bonus dmg is crazy and I believe that the over all boost to my standard and ability dmg makes up for my lower crit rating. I have the surge that when I do crit I get the big crits (5-6k force screams, 4-5k vicious throws, 6-7k ravage dmg etc). I am still looking at how I can tweak a bit more to squeeze more crit out but I have stacked a lot of pwr and for me its working rather well. I am sure some will say your doing it wrong but to each their own. Big debate over which is better for carnage. Some say crit others say power...I have gone the power route and have been very satisfied and effective.

Edited by Datku

Mega is correct, at least for a Rage build. To be honest, I am not entirely sure how it parses out for carnage and annihilation, as in, is losing 5% crit worth the power gains of swapping out crit for power in every mod/enhancement. Everything else in his character builder is spot on though, and my gut tells me that power > crit for all specs, so long as it is 1:1 ratio that you are trading.

The thing to remember is that crits don't double your damage, they only give about a 75% increase. Also, crit has DR so... that further complicates things. At current feasibly obtained crit/surge levels, I don't think that crit can compare to power, but this really needs to be simcrafted with at least 10,000 iterations of dps tests before we can confirm or deny that. Anyone want to do some simcrafting? =)

I'm a fully black hole/campaign geared power-centric carnage marauder too, I've done tons of parses and studying and I find that suggestion that we should have 300+ crit is too high. I've found the breakeven point for carnage is also around 200, but between 100 and about 250 is basically pretty hard to measure. That correlates with the stat calculator at mmo-mechanics forums. If there's contradictory data, I would like to see it.

I parse (A LOT) on the ops dummy on my ship with an approximately 5 minute interval, fully raid-buffed with stim. My best results were with 191 crit, 57 accuracy, 512 surge and 1067 power--1899.4.

Here is my current build (replaced 1 might augment with an overkill since the best parse):

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/faf19fc7-bc4e-4b37-9434-b95e4bfefefc

Here is my parse:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/a2eb13bb-4276-490c-bf0f-6496a7077b54/overview#d=0,f=1,t=1,b=1

For optimizing endgame gear, a lot of time and money can be wasted trying to get power/crit balanced just right when it doesn't make much difference. The trade-off in pwr vs. str is small too. Getting rid of accuracy for surge is also minimal. In my opinion, the biggest help is getting all deft mods for the highest str/pwr number, and in particular, getting a customized belt and bracers with deft mods in it--the stats are much better than campaign/black hole bracers and belts. After that, when you've got money to waste is when it's time to work on the other stuff, but time is probably better spent working on technique.