Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DPS Guard Changes

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Elssha
09.22.2020 , 06:00 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Beyrahl View Post
I think the move would be to add back into stances, I imagine it would be a lot less work. The penalty of swapping stances made your spec fundamentally not work and took all of your resources. While a damage reduction is great but in certain situations I feel are a much less punishment than swapping stances.
All of them will still guard in windows of it being needed with small penalty with this change, they won't leave it on like the way they do currently but they certainly will guard. With stance changing it'd make them useless for a longer duration of time so they'd have to be certain a guard is the move, which I think where it'd require much more knowledge and skill.
Human error and decision is something that should be heavily weighed upon so not making an obvious easy choice everytime is a good thing.
I liked stances because swapping was a good tactic for tanks and DPS;

Off tanks wouldn't worry about ripping as off-tanks if they were doing a DPS build (DPS stance = lower threat gen)... and do more damage (damage boost, baby :P)

DPS could be tanky in a pinch (tank stance) and use a proper AoE taunt. They'd still not be tanky, don't get me wrong, but at least they'd be a smidge tankier and so there were more clutch saves to be had :P

DarthEndonae
09.24.2020 , 05:13 PM | #72
I do want to start by saying that I like that guarding being more for tanks only in PvP is a good thing, For a long time, tanking in PvP has been pretty pointless and this gives them a point again! At the same time, this is a pretty hefty nerf in terms of DPS utility, especially in PvE for the threat reduction properties. You might as well just completely get rid of DPS being able to guard if you're gonna make them deal 50% less damage all the time and give them each some new utility or have them share the group utility (Supercharged Celerity for PTs, Bloodthirst for Juggs, and Unlimited Power for Sins). Otherwise, you should make it so that DPS deal 50% less damage to enemy players only.

Alternatively, you could change things up and make it so that DPS don't get the damage redirection at all (this could be controlled by the stance discipline passive) and leave all the other aspects as they are now, so no 50% damage dealt is needed.

NogueiraA
09.25.2020 , 10:16 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Are you not aware of the fact that initially when this game came out we had stances? And to use guard you had to be in a tank stance? And being in a tank stance equated to a dps loss? This is literally just going back to how it was supposed to be. DPS whether be pvp or pve were never supposed to use guard without some kind of huge drawback. The utility is there, but its clearly always meant to be a tank only thing. Honestly they should just remove from dps completely.
That is actually true.
Back then the DPS would give up a lot from DPS stances just to use the tank stance to guard someone.
Leizen / Laizen
Jedi Guardian
BETA Tester

zathesis
10.05.2020 , 06:47 PM | #74
Hello my suggestion would to help minimize bad impact for pve/pvp especially since this ability is useful for certain boss mechanics is to make the ability not available in PvP. Instead of nurfing the ability both pvp/pve players will be half happy but is better then alternative.

Elssha
10.06.2020 , 11:14 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by NogueiraA View Post
That is actually true.
Back then the DPS would give up a lot from DPS stances just to use the tank stance to guard someone.

Except with stances, there was a trade-off beyond the ability to guard. DPS also got a defense buff and the AoE taunt... and tanks were able to swap to DPS stance to do less threat (not rip as off-tank) while doing more DPS.

Currently they're just giving DPS the penalty with none of the benefits (or the tank benefits) of old stances.

TyrFoge
10.18.2020 , 12:30 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Pallais View Post
This is a good change. It turns Guard fromm being something that gets constantly used into something that requires a decision to use.
This statement could very well hold true in a PvP setting and to a degree in PvE settings however this change really should be limited to PvP snd not include PvE in my opinion. Why does it HAVE to ne both?
~The Farce runs STRONG in my family...~

Clicky click for a character transfer and 7 days of sub http://www.swtor.com/r/YyCkr9

KendraP
10.18.2020 , 02:32 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrFoge View Post
This statement could very well hold true in a PvP setting and to a degree in PvE settings however this change really should be limited to PvP snd not include PvE in my opinion. Why does it HAVE to ne both?
Because BW is lazy, incompetent, or both. Guard already works differently in both, so I dont see why it would be so difficult to make a pvp only guard change. I get that guard as used in pve is very niche and rather minor; however for once it doesn't need to be affected at all.