The fate of Command Boosts, Tokens, and CXP Packs in 6.0?

AlCiao

So last I heard:

Command boosts will be converted to renown boosts, and thus still useful to hold onto.

Command tokens will be converted into creds at a not-too-favorable rate.

Consumable CXP Packs will be converted into creds at a not-too-favorable rate.

Is this still the plan as far as we know? I'd like to go ahead and use all my cxp packs now, and spend all my command tokens to stock up on command boosts for conversion into renown boosts, but I'm afraid that the devs might backpedal on their stated plans.

How likely do you think the devs are to backpedal on their plans here? Would hate to have spent all my command tokens on boosts, for boosts to suddenly get converted into creds, and tokens still be worth something after all.

Very unlikely to be changed, since the new progression system allows for boosts to be converted and still be applicable to renown gains, but not cxp packs and command tokens. I also highly doubt that packs will even be turned into credits in the first place rather than simply being removed just like that, because they don't count as an ingame currency.

So yes, spend all the command tokens and cxp packs before the expansion comes out unless you can live with only getting a marginal lump sum of credits when they are removed.

Edited by Phazonfreak

How does the new progression system allow for the conversion of boosts to be useful, but not cxp packs and command tokens? Is this some sort of programming issue?

Oh no, I'm pretty sure if they wanted to from a purely programming perspective they could keep both the packs and the tokens in 6.0. What I meant was that judging by the design philosophy that they described in the first livestream and the changes to the max level progression system, it became quite clear that both things won't be needed anymore in 6.0.

Cxp packs will be removed because you will get direct gear rewards from the bosses and quests that you do. And command tokens will be removed because they want to purge the currency bloat (which is why they also remove Unassembled Components, Masterwork Crystals and Alliance Recon Data). We will get "Chuck Bucks" (name not yet determined) instead that you gather directly by deconstructing unwanted gear rewards, which you will then be able to use for crafting or buying specific gear.

The boosts remain because they will function exactly the same as they do now and increase the percentage renown gain for killing mobs and completing quests. The only real difference here being that renown ranks will be infinite and reset for seasonal rewards.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Oh no, I'm pretty sure if they wanted to from a purely programming perspective they could keep both the packs and the tokens in 6.0. What I meant was that judging by the design philosophy that they described in the first livestream and the changes to the max level progression system, it became quite clear that both things won't be needed anymore in 6.0.

Cxp packs will be removed because you will get direct gear rewards from the bosses and quests that you do. And command tokens will be removed because they want to purge the currency bloat (which is why they also remove Unassembled Components, Masterwork Crystals and Alliance Recon Data). We will get "Chuck Bucks" (name not yet determined) instead that you gather directly by deconstructing unwanted gear rewards, which you will then be able to use for crafting or buying specific gear.

The boosts remain because they will function exactly the same as they do now and increase the percentage renown gain for killing mobs and completing quests. The only real difference here being that renown ranks will be infinite and reset for seasonal rewards.

I have found it is never a good idea to fidget with something that isn't broken. I was a mistake to bring in RNG to begin with, then when people get used to one system, they kill it to bring another. From what I have read on the test forums, I don't think this new change is going to go over well (just my personal opinion). I think it is going to really confuse, frustrate and just piss off both experienced players, and casual players just for the sake of making a change. But I guess we will find out in September.

But I did make it a point to spend all my "tokens" for new gear so that I will not be ripped off by their "credits" swap.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

I have found it is never a good idea to fidget with something that isn't broken. I was a mistake to bring in RNG to begin with, then when people get used to one system, they kill it to bring another. From what I have read on the test forums, I don't think this new change is going to go over well (just my personal opinion). I think it is going to really confuse, frustrate and just piss off both experienced players, and casual players just for the sake of making a change. But I guess we will find out in September.

But I did make it a point to spend all my "tokens" for new gear so that I will not be ripped off by their "credits" swap.

If it really works like they laid it out during the stream and in the dev blogs then I think it will actually be much less confusing and frustrating. I would actually be quite simple and elegant with reduced luck mechanisms and less barriers between you and how you earn your gear. I am also very much looking forward to all gear becoming legacy gear that can easily be swapped between your characters.

I think the main problem and concern will be the nitty gritty of the stats and abilities of the new armor sets and tactical items. They will be a headache to balance and I am almost certain that with the release of 6.0 there will be some hard times ahead. But it could lead to something major in the long run if they do it right.

If it really works like they laid it out during the stream and in the dev blogs then I think it will actually be much less confusing and frustrating. I would actually be quite simple and elegant with reduced luck mechanisms and less barriers between you and how you earn your gear. I am also very much looking forward to all gear becoming legacy gear that can easily be swapped between your characters.

I think the main problem and concern will be the nitty gritty of the stats and abilities of the new armor sets and tactical items. They will be a headache to balance and I am almost certain that with the release of 6.0 there will be some hard times ahead. But it could lead to something major in the long run if they do it right.

Yeah if they do it right, but BW has a habit of taking advantage of the sledgehammer over the Rock Hammer. The only thing I don't like, is changing the set bonus from armor component to the gear, but I guess that is what designer is for. Will be both excited, and worried when it comes out. I wonder if the gear being all legacy, if that includes implants and ear pieces?

How does the new progression system allow for the conversion of boosts to be useful, but not cxp packs and command tokens? Is this some sort of programming issue?

No, it's an anti-hoarding issue. They don't like people hoarding currencies because it gives them less reason to chase the new one, which means people get bored more quickly.

MMOs are all about keeping you busy more than anything else. A mediocre game makes it so you feel like you need to do things and you do feel the repetitiveness but you see the carrot. A good game in that respect has more things to go for and doesn't feel repetitive and has more carrots to go for.

That was a big problem for me with GC because it made all content the same for the same carrot. Gear was the main point and anything else was just whatever pretty much. I disintegrate almost everything these days and it's a chore. Not at all exciting.

So I hope this renown system will work better as an add-on and that the game itself gets more reward systems that really do feel rewarding and worthwhile going for. With 5.0 NiM content only requiring 236/242 gear all the ratings we got above were just superfluous and made people lazy. In combination with dumbing down content. I see so many terrible things happen in SM ops and still beat bosses it's bizarre.

I see so many terrible things happen in SM ops and still beat bosses it's bizarre.

That's more of a balancing issue and lack of rebalancing with BW and not reaching players when to make use of certain abilities than anything tbh. And you know SM ops are expected to be for those who want to see the story. I do feel like the difference between the 3 difficulties is too wide though.

No, it's an anti-hoarding issue. They don't like people hoarding currencies because it gives them less reason to chase the new one, which means people get bored more quickly.

MMOs are all about keeping you busy more than anything else. A mediocre game makes it so you feel like you need to do things and you do feel the repetitiveness but you see the carrot. A good game in that respect has more things to go for and doesn't feel repetitive and has more carrots to go for.

That was a big problem for me with GC because it made all content the same for the same carrot. Gear was the main point and anything else was just whatever pretty much. I disintegrate almost everything these days and it's a chore. Not at all exciting.

So I hope this renown system will work better as an add-on and that the game itself gets more reward systems that really do feel rewarding and worthwhile going for. With 5.0 NiM content only requiring 236/242 gear all the ratings we got above were just superfluous and made people lazy. In combination with dumbing down content. I see so many terrible things happen in SM ops and still beat bosses it's bizarre.

One of the most blatantly "push it over the edge into ridiculous" aspects of the GC system for me was the inability to stack things. Can't stack boosters, can't stack crates, can't stack CXP consumables. And to top it off, the "one at a time" opening of a pack with room for a maximum of 10 items.

It's like it went straight past "accidentally poor quality of life" and right into "intentionally trying to make life more difficult."

One of the most blatantly "push it over the edge into ridiculous" aspects of the GC system for me was the inability to stack things. Can't stack boosters, can't stack crates, can't stack CXP consumables. And to top it off, the "one at a time" opening of a pack with room for a maximum of 10 items.

It's like it went straight past "accidentally poor quality of life" and right into "intentionally trying to make life more difficult."

I think they are more focused on making it as flashy as possible with sound effects. Psychologically, that makes it more appeasing to open, hence more people buy them.

So last I heard:

Command boosts will be converted to renown boosts, and thus still useful to hold onto.

Command tokens will be converted into creds at a not-too-favorable rate.

Consumable CXP Packs will be converted into creds at a not-too-favorable rate.

Is this still the plan as far as we know? I'd like to go ahead and use all my cxp packs now, and spend all my command tokens to stock up on command boosts for conversion into renown boosts, but I'm afraid that the devs might backpedal on their stated plans.

How likely do you think the devs are to backpedal on their plans here? Would hate to have spent all my command tokens on boosts, for boosts to suddenly get converted into creds, and tokens still be worth something after all.

A name change and it made an optional means to acquire gear, ranks will remain but tiers will be removed and the chance of getting better quality gear will increase a little as a part of "play your way". It is all there in the livesteam a few weeks ago on twitch. GC is going to become RC in about a month from now if the september launch window is accurate.