Cross Server Warzone Thoughts

OgKiller

Just curious about your thoughts on Cross Server Warzones. Many people want this and many people don't. I'll go on the record that I support the decision to implement this. Nonetheless, I understand the negative aspect of this.

The reason why I support cross server warzones is due to the fact that after 1-2am, I see the same 6-8 people on my team and its not uncommon for warzones to shut down after 90 secs due to the lack of people. I want to be able to que at 3:30 am and still be able to jump into a fresh full warzone in less than a minute. Plus, when your queing by yourself, I think its nice to have different team members each match so your not stuck with the same scrubs every single warzone for that particular night. It would probably benefit everyone by increasing more balanced win/lose ratios, as opposed to winning or losing all the time. This can be very frustrating at times and even discourage many people away from warzones or rolling Republic (cough)

I know people will argue that cross server warzones will make the people you join with seem impersonal but I would argue that you can still que with friends and guildies. Besides, you want to play with people on your server and gank that arch nemesis of yours on the other faction? Well isn't that what Ilum is for? Im sure BW will develope more epic world pvp zones that keep the battles server exclusive.

Well that's my thoughts on it and I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this.

Edited by OgKiller

Need more information. Are they doing it by battlegroup? If so, how will they determine battlegroups?

Personally, I think they should choose battlegroups by server names. The server forums are already divided that way, just rename the subforum for each to the name of their Battlegroup.

Example: Go to the server forums and currently you see the subforums; PvP, PvE, RP, RP-PvP. Click on one of those and it brings you to another list of subforums, for this situation lets use the PvP server forums. You then receive the following list: A-C, D-H, I-N, P-S, Ta-The, Then-W. BW would rename the latter subforums to the name of their new Battlegroup.

This would allow us to keep what community we already have (Since I'm assuming if you read server forums you occasionally notice stuff from other servers in your group), and prevent mixing server types (PvP paired with PvE for example).

Need more information. Are they doing it by battlegroup? If so, how will they determine battlegroups?

Personally, I think they should choose battlegroups by server names. The server forums are already divided that way, just rename the subforum for each to the name of their Battlegroup.

Example: Go to the server forums and currently you see the subforums; PvP, PvE, RP, RP-PvP. Click on one of those and it brings you to another list of subforums, for this situation lets use the PvP server forums. You then receive the following list: A-C, D-H, I-N, P-S, Ta-The, Then-W. BW would rename the latter subforums to the name of their new Battlegroup.

it would be logistics, server location, server room, etc

I totally agree with you guys on merging servers. I know its more fun to play with people and names you recognize but what's the server cap? I really only see warzones thriving in the future without cross server implications if servers have at least 5000-10000 people on it as well as having better faction balance. Anyone know how many players a full server has? My guess is 2500? I don't really have a clue just guessing.

Server merges make more sense than breaking existing communities that have good rivalries going on. With merges you get fresh faces to revitalize your population , servers keep on policing their population you can´t be an arse and get away with it for long , makes finding friends and similar minded people easier than randomly pugging with people you never see again.

The solution to your problem is asking Bioware to merge your low pop server with another low-pop server. It is not to **** with servers that have thriving pvp communities.

^ that above, it sucks to be on a bad server, but it's way easier to just merge them or give free transfers to those poor souls. They're taking the more PR-friendly route by adding *********** x-server.

I do like the idea of merging servers so you can play with familiar people and names but the hardcore pvper inside wants the opportunity to play against everyone who plays this game. Its a hard choice but I have faith that BW reads everything on these forums and take it all into consideration when they decide for us which will enhance our pvp enjoyment.

I'm not trying to be an *** or a troll but it is really community competition that you are afraid of losing or is it that you don't want to risk not winning 90% of the time anymore? I realize that there probably are several servers with a competitive population but from my experience and what I've read on the forums usually one side completely dominates the other, as is generally the case in 2 faction games.

If you could do full 8 man premades would this change your mind? I realize you may not want to play with scrubs from other servers if you have a really tight nit group and that would certainly alleviate that while still offering benefits to guys like me who spend a lot of time in PvP getting destroyed by a very dominate imperial faction. Plus for server specific fights there is always Ilum.

There are no queue problems in SWTOR thanks to the completely genius idea of Huttball matching faction against the same faction. If you are waiting too long, that is probably because people have *****ed about playing Huttball too much on these forums and have asked Bioware to increase the threshhold so that they wait longer for more diversified wzs.

In any case, all servers are empire dominated. There is not a single server to my knowledge that has more republic than empire, so if you think cross-server warzones. is suddenly going to alleviate any problems that don't already exist you are mistaken.

I find it really hard to believe that there are servers that can't get 16 people to queue up at a time. 16 people... that is all you need to start a game. If your population is suffering that badly you don't need cross-server warzones you need a server merge plain and simple.

To those who are tired of playing huttball, that is understandable but cross-server battlegrounds will not make that situation better. Empire will still be playing huttball 90% of the time except now they will be doing it with complete ******s from another server that you will never meet again, most of whom immediately go afk as the match starts because they could give a **** about anyone on their team or their reputation on a server that they aren't apart of.

Im on shadowtown pvp server, regardless of Imps out numbering reps, we still manage to win a fair amount of matches. My concerns are that it is the 3rd month of the games release and after 2 am it really is hard to find people doing WZs and to not have the match shut down after 90seconds. Shadowtown is a standard pvp server. I think that's like 800 people reps and imps combined. Im curious how many people a full server has. Edited by OgKiller

Im on shadowtown pvp server, regardless of Imps out numbering reps, we still manage to win a fair amount of matches. My concerns are that it is the 3rd month of the games release and after 2 am it really is hard to find people doing WZs and to not have the match shut down after 90seconds. Shadowtown is a standard pvp server. I think that's like 800 people reps and imps combined. Im curious how many people a full server has.

I bet this has more to do with people leaving the match after it starts than it does not having enough people to start it. The solution to that would be to add a deserter debuff that penalizes people for leaving a warzone. Yes another thing that WoW actually did right in their pvp that TOR has ignored. But by all means, Bioware, copy all the ****** ideas from WoW and leave out everything that people liked from it.

Edited by mechintel

The solution to your problem is asking Bioware to merge your low pop server with another low-pop server. It is not to **** with servers that have thriving pvp communities.

Yes, I agree. I resent that my experience will be degraded because a few servers have low populations. Offer free transfers off these realms to specified realms. Merge the remainder.

I'm sorry to hear that the OP's server is crappy, but there are better ways to fix this problem that do not involve messing with those of us who picked a good server.

If you could do full 8 man premades would this change your mind?

This has absolutely nothing to do with it. Imperials lose more on my server as it is, and I just don't care. I like having tough Republic enemies to fight against. I wouldn't care if they got rid of pre-mades altogether.

My server shadowtown is actually considered a really good pvp server. That's what concerns me. No one seems to answer my question about the population cap on a server... if there are server mergers I hope the server limit is 10,000 or more. I think they're at 2500, not sure though.

Yes, I agree. I resent that my experience will be degraded because a few servers have low populations. Offer free transfers off these realms to specified realms. Merge the remainder.

I'm sorry to hear that the OP's server is crappy, but there are better ways to fix this problem that do not involve messing with those of us who picked a good server.

There are more reasons besides low servers. You can't add more warzone maps without cross server. You want to be stuck with three maps forever?

It is not possible to have warzones be server only unless you want them to be horribly gimped