Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please no more Warcraft terms.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Please no more Warcraft terms.

Nicolettexiv
03.20.2012 , 07:57 AM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Anysao View Post
It can be utterly confusing. I ask you to please cut down on them, as they can be annoying. Some things I do and do not like are below-
Bad slang:
"Raids"- Why is it so hard to say Ops? It can be incredibly confusing to a new player.
"Taunts"- I am tank-specced and I had NO idea where "taunts" come from, and took forever for me to learn that it's just to grab the attention of the enemy.
"Mobs"- Where does this come from for NPCs? It's the most random name so far.
"Instance"- Don't really have a problem with this one, yet I'm not sure where it comes from, it seems just like an odd term.
"Dungeons"- I assume you mean Flashpoints, and you can not have a worse term. Since when is being in deep space, while being under attack by an enemy cruiser, a "dungeon"?
"Pets"- A companion is a NPC sidekick, not a pet. For pets, see mouse droids, and other droids. I WILL KILL ANYONE WHO CALLS MY COMPANION A PET!!
"Spells"- They are ENTIRELY unrelated to Force Powers. People consider Grenades spells!
"Adds"- I just don't like this one- I prefer to say "backup", for the boss.
"CC"- I understood it was for Crowd Control, but a more accurate term is stuns.
"DPS" (person)- That just doesn't make sense, how can a person be considered damage per second? Perhaps a better term is Damage Dealer.
Slang I'm fine with:
"Aggro"- I don't like the term, but it's the only term i know of to get attention of NPCs.
"Tank"- Well, this is in any MMO, so, it's not really a problem.
"DPS" (damage)- Although we rarely mean "Damage Per SECOND", it is useful to understand.
"HP"- Hitpoints, or health. No problem here.

I wont lecture you, but, please, for other player's gaming experience, use standard terms to help people learn how the game works.
Those are the "standard" terms, either basic english terminology or gaming/MMO terminology - aside from Spells (abilities), pets (companions), and dungeons.

Lol, with most tank specs in game - including companions, the ability is called taunt. And it's not a WoW term; you are literally, taunting the mob.

Adds are pretty appropriate as well, and once again, not solely a wow term; additional NPCs appaoaching = adds. Same goes for Mob, it's a mob of NPCs that will attempt to kill you.

Instance is an instanced/phased event; it's separate from the general playing area; no one else has access to your instance other than your group, so it's fair to refer to flashpoints as instances. Basic MMO terminology. However, Heroic 2-4 quests on various planets are obviously not instances.

""Tank"- Well, this is in any MMO, so, it's not really a problem."

As are most of the terms you've listed...

KennethHoover
03.20.2012 , 08:23 AM | #142
Those are universal terms. We sometimes link them to WoW because it's a popular game, but that should not be the case.

The term "Pandas" on the other hand, is pure WoW.
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me

AetherMcLoud
03.20.2012 , 08:40 AM | #143
It can be utterly confusing. I ask you to please cut down on them, as they can be annoying. Some things I do and do not like are below-
Bad slang:
"Raids"- Why is it so hard to say Ops? It can be incredibly confusing to a new player.
"Taunts"- I am tank-specced and I had NO idea where "taunts" come from, and took forever for me to learn that it's just to grab the attention of the enemy.
"Instance"- Don't really have a problem with this one, yet I'm not sure where it comes from, it seems just like an odd term.
"Dungeons"- I assume you mean Flashpoints, and you can not have a worse term. Since when is being in deep space, while being under attack by an enemy cruiser, a "dungeon"?
"Spells"- They are ENTIRELY unrelated to Force Powers. People consider Grenades spells!
"DPS" (person)- That just doesn't make sense, how can a person be considered damage per second? Perhaps a better term is Damage Dealer.
Slang I'm fine with:
"Aggro"- I don't like the term, but it's the only term i know of to get attention of NPCs.
"DPS" (damage)- Although we rarely mean "Damage Per SECOND", it is useful to understand.
All those come mostly from Everquest, some even from Ultima Online. WAAAAAYYY before WoW.

Quote:
"Pets"- A companion is a NPC sidekick, not a pet. For pets, see mouse droids, and other droids. I WILL KILL ANYONE WHO CALLS MY COMPANION A PET!!
On this I agree, calling companions pets is ridiculous.

Quote:
"Stuns" would be most UNaccurate term for CC ever. Roots are CC, Stuns are CC, Mezzes are CC, Knockback is CC, Knockdown is CC, Pull is CC, etc.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Sasheria
03.20.2012 , 09:04 AM | #144
to add to the list, I use "Pat" for Patrol which is another MMO term. I know I should type Patrol, but while in combat busy healing (that is what I do most of my game time) it is faster to type a 3 letter word and continue healing.

Most of the terms are from early MMO (I'm shock that people actually remember Meridian 59 which came out before UO and EQ)

crazyplaya
03.20.2012 , 01:48 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by Sasheria View Post
to add to the list, I use "Pat" for Patrol which is another MMO term. I know I should type Patrol, but while in combat busy healing (that is what I do most of my game time) it is faster to type a 3 letter word and continue healing.

Most of the terms are from early MMO (I'm shock that people actually remember Meridian 59 which came out before UO and EQ)
have to admit, i use the word pat my self... have had no bad comments about it
Do or do not! there is no try!

nfefx
03.20.2012 , 01:54 PM | #146
This thread is cute.

In a 'baby's first MMO' kind of way.

MAgson
03.20.2012 , 04:13 PM | #147
I actually say "Instances" to be synonymous with "Flashpoints." To me, dungeons are the little offshoots of the main zones that are (usually) forcefield gated as mini-instances. That said, I can see people calling the flashpoints "dungeons" as well and I have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever.

You think this is bad? Run a mission in EVE. You're in outer space, in a space ship, and once you start the mission where are you? That's right, you're in a dungeon. Sometimes it even has multiple rooms . . . . . There are no walls, you can warp out at any time, anyone else who bothers can scan you down and come find you as well, but you're still in a dungeon. That's the accepted term.

Quote:
"Pets"- A companion is a NPC sidekick, not a pet. For pets, see mouse droids, and other droids.
Pets are any friendly AI controlled NPC. Non-combat "fluff" pets are generally ignored in any MMO I've played, so when someone says "Dismiss your pet" you can safely assume they mean your combat pet/companion.

Quote:
This just comes from people using the words "spells" and "abilities" interchangeably. It's more generic than "Force Powers" vs "Special Abilities" or whatever the official SWTOR term is for the non-glowbat-wielding classes. So while a grenade isn't a "spell" per se, in game-terms, it's still clicked/hotkeyed, thus making it an "ability" which is synonymous with "spell."

All the other terms seem to have been well and truly covered, but these 3 still seem to be giving some people the vapors, thus my 2 credits being tossed in.

pointvector
03.20.2012 , 08:47 PM | #148
really the only one that shouldn't apply to this game is dungeons. And who uses that really? I have heard "spellbook" and I had to ask what that was...haha. They meant the abilities page. I asked just to be annoying...lol

crazyplaya
03.21.2012 , 12:41 PM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by pointvector View Post
really the only one that shouldn't apply to this game is dungeons. And who uses that really? I have heard "spellbook" and I had to ask what that was...haha. They meant the abilities page. I asked just to be annoying...lol
some of the instances i have seen in my class missions sure looks like dungeons. so the name fits perfectly in some places.
as for spell book i can perfectly well understand the RP side of it. if u want to stay in RP and at the same tile talk about things like ability window, well then "ability window" just dont do it.
but spell book does. or skill book if u want... tho i am ok with spell book.
Do or do not! there is no try!

bionamaster
03.21.2012 , 12:48 PM | #150
Bad slang:
Slang I'm fine with:

I wont lecture you, but, please, for other player's gaming experience, use standard terms to help people learn how the game works.
Actually, pets and companions are different things. Pets are bought, and passive. Companions are earned henchmen. Now, a lot of other games use these terms. Wizard101, WoW, pretty much every MMO. A lot of the players here are bored WoW players, so let's cut them some slack . The only one I have a problem with is aggro. It sounds more like aggrivate them aggresion (i.e. hold the bosses aggro while i kill him.).
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!