Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why I Think KotFE Ruined SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why I Think KotFE Ruined SWTOR

VitalityPrime
10.23.2015 , 09:26 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by pegasussgc View Post
I'm not going to comment on the whole post, just one aspect of it.
I don't agree that everything up until 4.0 has been rendered meaningless. Each storyline is one long journey, giving your character....well his/her character. It was your character putting his or her imprint on the galaxy, as Valkorion puts it. Things change and in this case the galaxy changed, the Republic and Empire are no longer powerful. They are struggling to survive and lashing out at each other (while the Eternal Empire is keeping them from advancing economically) in a futile attempt to exert some control over their fate.

The very fact that you can see now in KotFE how far each has fallen, because you have experienced the pre-4.0 story, makes that story not pointless at all.

TLDR: Just because the galaxy has changed, it doesn't mean all that happened before is pointless.
I couldn't agree with this more.
"A great leap forward often requires first taking two steps back"
"And sometimes all it requires is the will to jump"

StarMagus
10.23.2015 , 09:35 PM | #12
I think it's interesting that somebody is upset that all of their work in the time leading up to the freeze and invasion was made pointless, because that's exactly how the character feels.

I did all of these things, the hero of X, bringing my entire faction back from the edge of defeat, saving all of these lives.. and it all got burned down while I couldn't do a thing to stop it. To me that was actually one of the cooler parts of the xpac because I have never felt more in sink with my character when they said something to the effect of. "Somebody is going to die for this...." I was like.. HELL YES.. Eternal Empire, will see about that!

Swissbob
10.23.2015 , 09:49 PM | #13
It was your character putting his or her imprint on the galaxy, as Valkorion puts it.
Except that Valkorion's imprint totally overrides our character's imprint. We were put in a coma for 5 years while it was happening too.... There wasn't even a struggle. No struggle (ie the conflict) means no drama, it's just wam bam and you lost.... and now we have the long grind just to get back to somewhat where we were (if that is even possible at this point).

What good is becoming the Emperor's Wrath if there is no Emperor? What good is becoming a Dark Council Member if there is no Dark Council? What is the point of killing the Emperor if well.... you actually don't . What is the point of saving the Jedi Order if it is conquered? etc. etc. etc.

Quote:
The very fact that you can see now in KotFE how far each has fallen, because you have experienced the pre-4.0 story, makes that story not pointless at all.

TLDR: Just because the galaxy has changed, it doesn't mean all that happened before is pointless.
Well, this could be true, IF the story that replaced it was an interesting story that made sense and had me invested. If I sacrifice everything that's happened for something even better.... then okay. That can make for a really emotional and meaningful climax (see Game of Thrones/ASOIF, for instance).

But... to give it all up for what was presented? A non-sensical, secret, and all powerful empire that inexplicably waited until just now to swiftly conquer all of the galaxy? And to top it all off it's led by a character who has been around for over a millennium and could've invaded since the beginning?

Take for instance Knights of the Old Republic. Assuming you take the light side path, ultimately you could make the same argument I'm making now except with Vitiate's first empire, as some hundreds of years later the Sith Empire invades the Republic, ultimately rendering Revan's defeat of Malak pointless. However there is a very key distinction. The Sith Empire was hinted at since the very beginning, and made total and utter sense in the storyline. AND to top it all off, that Sith Empire wasn't OP as hell and rather than conquering everything in a blink of an eye there was an actual struggle of two somewhat equal forces, thus creating drama and interest.

But this...? Totally random, totally overpowered, too drastic of a change presented with too little explanation and proper time to develop, and ultimately, totally uninteresting, and, in the context of years of emotional investment and attachment... it's insulting and infuriating to boot.
My Solution to the "Game is Too Easy Crisis"

My Guides to Combat in SWTOR: Part 1 | Part 2

Pietrastor
10.23.2015 , 10:08 PM | #14
It is a sudden and drastic change. Uninteresting? Totally subjective. To me it's more interesting than most of the stuff written in the game pre-4.0, particularly when it comes to the Eternal Fleet, Scorpio, Gemini and the Gravestone. Zakuul design/lore has also been done competently. It feels fresh within the game's universe and I'm glad a major shake-up happened. We'll see how it ends and how they write the Emperor in particular, but so far I've been rather positively surprised with the execution of this story compared to what came before (with few exceptions).

pegasussgc
10.23.2015 , 10:17 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Swissbob View Post
Except that Valkorion's imprint totally overrides our character's imprint....Snip
It doesn't erase all your past deeds, just like in real life when someone dies it doesn't erase what they did in their lifetime. The person had an impact on the galaxy.
If you would like free stuff + some free sub time and
a character transfer, click the referral link below:

http://www.swtor.com/r/l8mHm5

mephistosaurus
10.23.2015 , 10:19 PM | #16
Personally I felt the same way, until I played the 9 chapters.
I think (guessing here) that this is some long drawn out test to make you more like him. Succeed of falter, as though he wants some kind of friend or companion. Look how things play out, and ask yourself why. At least that is what I came up with.
As far as the content before this, well that is you setting yourself apart from all the little people in the galaxy.
Click for free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/QytrJd

Swissbob
10.23.2015 , 10:25 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietrastor View Post
It is a sudden and drastic change. Uninteresting? Totally subjective. To me it's more interesting than most of the stuff written in the game pre-4.0, particularly when it comes to the Eternal Fleet, Scorpio, Gemini and the Gravestone. Zakuul design/lore has also been done competently. It feels fresh within the game's universe and I'm glad a major shake-up happened. We'll see how it ends and how they write the Emperor in particular, but so far I've been rather positively surprised with the execution of this story compared to what came before (with few exceptions).
It is subjective. Of course, most everything everyone is saying here is subjective. However, I didn't just state it as uninteresting without explaining why.

That crucial why, summed up from my initial post, is that it is contradictory to Vitiate's character thus far, doesn't make sense in the scheme of the greater SWTOR story, happens too quickly with too little explanation, and has very little real conflict (of roughly equal matches, anyway), which results in very little drama, and therefore very little interest, and is also distant and destructive to everything that has had me invested in The Old Republic Era.

As for the rest of your post.... yes it does feel "fresh" in the sense it is new. But fresh does not mean it's good. While it has that connotation, I think the "newness" of the story is so extreme that it does not fit in well with the rest of the story, even going so far as to invalidate it. But yes, ultimately we'll have to wait and see. The story isn't over, and I have a naive hope as well as a great heaping of fear for how they execute.

We shall see.... we shall see.

Swissbob
10.23.2015 , 10:28 PM | #18
It doesn't erase all your past deeds, just like in real life when someone dies it doesn't erase what they did in their lifetime. The person had an impact on the galaxy.
No, their death doesn't erase their deeds. But someone overriding their deeds does erase their deeds.

For instance, let's say you founded a country, then died days later. Your death doesn't erase that country, however the army that just conquered it and incorporated it into their country does erase the country.

So too with Valkorion. When he conquers the Republic and Empire, your deeds that kept them unconquered are erased, because it is now conquered.

They had an impact on the Galaxy.... until that impact was overridden just a short time later.

Again, going back to my Lord of the Rings analogy and the crucial component of time. If that impact lasts several thousand years, it is a hell of an impact. If it lasts less than one or just a couple, it is a very small impact.

Jeweledleah
10.23.2015 , 10:47 PM | #19
so on Valkorion and how I personally made sense of this development (mind you I'm not a fan of complete reset either)

Spoiler

as for impact our characters made. best I can think of... without our participation current alliance wouldn't have been possible

Swissbob
10.23.2015 , 10:48 PM | #20
I'm sorry to make a long post even longer, but I just added a part 2c to the original post, as I felt I didn't accurately describe an important piece of the disappointment puzzle. (If you guys haven't gotten enough of my ranting and are inclined to read it.)

I gotta go to sleep now, but will read and respond to any posts in the morning (if there are any, that is).

Thanks for the feedback and discussion guys, and am glad to see there are people willing to read my ramblings, even though they disagree.