Problems with controls... again...

ODST-Parker

I am sick and tired of these controls used in Galactic Starfighter. The use of the mouse for steering the direction of the ship makes no sense at all. It might work if the mouse wasn't able to go beyond the outside of the firing ring. The simple fact that a gun (even a Star Wars blaster) cannot possibly fire sideways, up, or down. They are fixed attachments, and making them anything else is just complicating things.

I really wish they would allow us to keep the targeting reticule in the center of the screen and use the arrow keys or WASD keys to control direction. Like Rogue Squadron, or X-wing Alliance, or any other flight simulator with any sensible controls! I personally can move much faster on the WASD keys than I ever could using a mouse. Without that, I'm slamming into so many walls because I'm trying to focus on changing direction AND creating a stable firing position on enemies, constantly trying to put my mouse back in the center of the screen to avoid turning way beyond where I meant to go. It's infuriating when I'm right on someone's tail, lining up a shot, targeting with missiles, and then they do a hard turn to catch up with me, which leads to a infinite cycle of turning around each other until we both end up flying head on at each other, firing only a few shots (you're lucky if a couple of them hit) because you only barely managed to get the mouse back in the firing arc, and then repeating the cycle until one of you ends up finally killing the other or gets killed by someone else who is watching the whole mess.

All I'm asking for is the consideration of a second set of controls for people like me, who have been playing flight sims since they started playing video games, who only want the standard WASD or arrow key direction control, with a fixed firing point. Thank you...

I should mention that I absolutely love the idea that this game had a starflighter flight simulator added to it. Everything about it, except the controls, is great! I can't wait to try out the other ships, like the gunship.

That's what many are saying, and I agree with all of you.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It seems that everyone is fine with the current setup, and then I actually play the game and people are stumbling around like an idiot running into walls like me...

It's a game type about starfighters flying around in space... It's a flight simulator, it's a game genre...

and how does that make WSAD "sensible" and the current scheme unsensible? Sounds like you got used to another game's controls and are having a hard time adjusting. Change is hard.

Im getting so used to the controls I don't know how well id do with stick control, would probably take me awhile to get used to it. But I still think its stupid to alienate most of the people who like the type of game youre making by not letting them use the controllers they like, that were made for that type of game. Edited by Mallorik

A-wings used rotatable guns.

and X-wings, but not the way they're used here. Both of those ships were supposed to be the most advanced fighters ever until the E-Wing, and the movement was very slight, and it allowed them to have the blasters converge on a point. Not shoot off at the large angles as it appears in this game.

IIRC A-wings had 60 degrees of rotation. The firing arcs in the game aren't that large.

Which would be okay in a lore sense if we were playing in that era, but we aren't.

Even so, for the most part that was up, and down. Some could even rotate past that in a full 360, but still not side to side. Why? Because the guns were mounted on the outside edge of the wingtip.

X-Wings could rotate guns towards the centerline slightly, all in synch, and not individually.

Edited by Hambunctious

I guess this is a "to each his own" type of issue.

I was skeptical of mouse control at first because of how well a joystick worked with X-Wing and Tie Fighter games back when they came out. With a week of pretty much non-stop GSF matches, I have adapted to mouse control and have no problems with it anymore. If joystick support is added in the future, I doubt I would switch over at this point.

and how does that make WSAD "sensible" and the current scheme unsensible? Sounds like you got used to another game's controls and are having a hard time adjusting. Change is hard.

It's more sensible because that is how a real fighter would operate. You wouldn't be able to choose the direction that your guns are firing, you would be firing at a fixed point directly in front of you. Even the most advanced fighter in the Rebel fleet at the time of the war against the empire, the A-wing, was barely able to move its guns up and down to fire at different angles, and this is significantly before that technology was developed.

More importantly, having to split my attention between turning and firing accurately is simply infuriating, especially when I'm trying to hit an enemy and since my reticle is not in the center of the screen, I'm also turning, which throws off my aim completely.

I guess this is a "to each his own" type of issue.

I was skeptical of mouse control at first because of how well a joystick worked with X-Wing and Tie Fighter games back when they came out. With a week of pretty much non-stop GSF matches, I have adapted to mouse control and have no problems with it anymore. If joystick support is added in the future, I doubt I would switch over at this point.

To each his own is exactly right, which is why I'm only suggesting that this option be ADDED, not that it should replace the current setup. I know that a lot of people like the new controls, but old time flight simulator players like me have a hard time with anything other than using the keyboard or a joystick.