Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.


ZeroPlus's Avatar


ZeroPlus
09.26.2014 , 12:53 PM | #4911
Quote: Originally Posted by BobFredJohn View Post
....
We complete the flashpoint with the same shambolic tanking present since the 3rd/4th pull. By the end I am glad this ordeal is over. Nobody ends up on my ignore, it was just the clearly aweful tanking after a perfect demonstration of jugg tanking in the first 2 pulls. Yeah bad tanks are annoying. But its far more irritating seeing someone do it perfectly, then turn bad.
My guess? There was a player swap during the "sorting the lag" interval. The player tanking at the beginning was not the player you finished with.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

Halinalle's Avatar


Halinalle
09.26.2014 , 02:11 PM | #4912
Battle of Ilum HM:
Balance Shadow as tank, Sage healer, very weird Sentinel and other dps I don't remember.

First thing I notice is that Shadow is in Force Technique = Balance. Sage obviously knew how to heal because there was no deaths. This sentinel... I don't even know where to start... lets "tank" pull, tries to follow kill order... My head hurts so much right now.

KDY:
- ranged Scoundrels (stop it!!! please!)
- Infiltration priority list (@lvl30+): Force Wave > TK Throw > Project > Force Breach > Saber Strike

AdirahBerkovich's Avatar


AdirahBerkovich
09.26.2014 , 04:41 PM | #4913
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinalle View Post

KDY:
- ranged Scoundrels (stop it!!! please!)
- Infiltration priority list (@lvl30+): Force Wave > TK Throw > Project > Force Breach > Saber Strike
Oh Force, KDY as a scoundrel is a nightmare.
Either that, or my luck on a ~40 scoundrel is dismal. Every group-- even those with tanks or dps that should be out-dpsing me in sustains, I facetank. Worse than my sniper (whom the facetanking on I understand).
And as a scoundrel, facetanking means I can't burst damage very well.
I'd understand if I were running with a couple of below 20s, but honestly, I should not rip aggro off a high level commando, off a mid-40s tank guardian (and his buffs were right for tanking, too), or off late/post chapter 2 Sents of all things.

So it's led to a habit of using cover as a scoundrel, but only in KDY.
I prefer being able to kick and shoot things in the back anyway, but covering tends to keep my hide intact.
"And if I had the answers I'd have written them out, so I can tell you what to do and what this thing is about, but all I've ever learned comes second-hand, and I dare not preach what I don't understand."

rashadk's Avatar


rashadk
09.26.2014 , 05:26 PM | #4914
Ok, so this isn't exactly a story about a flashpoint like most of the others here... but since it involves an individual I first met in GF queue i figured it would be okay.. plus I'd rather not make a thread on this topic in case it draws the person's attention.

So I've been playing this game intermittently since around launch and I've always run male characters (I'm male myself, and it seems natural to me). For the first time I decided to roll a female about a month ago just to see what its like. I was actually pleasantly surprised as the female voice is a nice change of pace and I even made her resemble one of my ex-gfs and am really enjoying taking all the rude bi***y dark side dialogue options to match her personality .

Anyhow, I create the toon, level up to about 15 and head to Dromund Kaas. I hop into the GF queue for Kuat to break in my new abilities (its a sorcerer). There I get a group of newish players who don't seem to have much of a clue what's going on. I usually don't speak in a FP besides a "hello" and "bye" at the beginning and end, and this one was no different. So we start the FP, encounter a few bumps in the road but make it through. One of the assassin dps in particular was pretty horrible. He would regularly go afk without warning, lagging far behind then catch up with no explanation. Also, he would do silly stuff like let the rest of the group die while he went off to destroy those glowy boxes for the bonus mission. Still, I know that this is KDY and I should expect the unexpected so I don't worry about it too much. On the final boss, his foolish overuse of the healing stations made it so we had to respawn multiple times and hustle back to kill the droid boss. Finally the FP is over and I say "bye" my only words of the FP and leave.

Back on Dromund Kaas I'm leveling my sorc when I get a random group invite. I turn around and find the Assassin dps from KDY inviting me to group. I accept thinking he wanted to do the nearby mission and continue on my leveling way. I finish the nearby mission (he's as awful as always) and head towards my class mission. When I reach I let him know that I have to do a class mission and say "thanks." I enter the green instance and he tries to follow but is of course denied at the door. He says he will "wait for me" but I let him know there's no need. I was hoping he would leave on his own but when he didn't I said "take care" and left the group. As I worked on the mission, I couldn't help but notice him still standing outside the green instance (you can see from the inside out). I just ignore him and finish the quest (took about 15 minutes). Finally I come back out and he is nowhere to be seen. I walk for a bit and of course run into him as I turn a corner out of the area outside the instance. He again invites me to a group, I decline and keep going. I pan my camera as I keep running (neither of us had a speeder) and notice that he is still following me. Although I'm a little annoyed I don't think too much of it. I use my rocket boost and leave him in the dust and think I'm done with him.

Throughout the next couple of days I don't see him again but notice that he is online a lot (I had put him on my friends list). Occasionally I would get this feeling that someone is following me in stealth (I'd catch a stealth shadow around me) but I could never be sure. Finally, I take a break from the game to handle real life stuff for about a week and then return. On my first day back I get another group invite from a random, but different assassin. This guy just happens to be in the same guild as my mysterious stalker earlier (I have never seen another member of this guild before or after). I had assumed this guy was looking for help in the dark temple so I accepted before I noticed the guild similarity. By this point I'm a little uncomfortable so I tell him I'd rather not group, add him to my ignore list and run away into another instance.

Now I'm no MMO veteran but I've heard the stories about creeps stalking "females" in game and I am pretty certain that's what was going on here. Just so its out there, I was dressed in typical Dromund Kaas inquisitor armor and had a normal name (so no stripper name and outfit that would draw this type of attention.) While I don't have any evidence I'm pretty sure that was what was going on here. I've played with male characters in almost every class of this game and never once through 50 legacy levels and numerous alts had an experience like this. More than anything I think its funny, but undeniably pathetic. Anyways, this was like a month ago, and I have since benched my female toon until further notice. I've added the stalker(s) to my friend list on my main and have not seen either on since. I hope this gave you a good laugh. Of course if you haven't read the famous story of a similar stalking instance, I have painstakingly found that old thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3475718.
Worth a read if you want a laugh. Far better than my story. Anyways thx for reading. Boy did this get long.

TL/DR Cliffs: made a female character, met a creep in FP, earned a stalker, learned an important lesson: no more female toons for me.

BlueShiftRecall's Avatar


BlueShiftRecall
09.26.2014 , 06:26 PM | #4915
Iím relatively new to FP, I have other toons but never was very interested in FP until recently where I wanted to start a new toon and really get into a have some fun with them with other people. Iím learning to heal as a Scoundrel (currently level 26) and so far people have been friendly and I've been taking on any advice from more experienced players.

However today has been my only bad experience. We start the Athiss FP and we defeat the first mob pretty quick but I notice that Iím getting hammered quite hard and politely ask the DPS to try and keep the mobs of me. The two DPS acknowledge me but donít seem to do anything about it later on which frustrates me but I keep going. Our tank doesn't give anyone time to recuperate after any mob and will run directly onto the next mob and so soon my energy is just too low and Iíd already popped my cool head (cool down 2min) and one of our DPS dies and we just manage to win that mob. I go to revive the DPS when the tank just runs off again straight away and somehow manages to attract two mobs so we all die. I politely ask the tank to wait for the rest of us and not to rush ahead. We only just manage to beat the first boss but Iím so low on health because the DPS wonít help me and I spend much of my time trying to save myself from dying because both DPS and the Tank only focus on boss and leave me to fend for myself. After the first boss not long later the tank once again manages to attract two mobs (I don;t know why they're running off on their own all the time) and with me with almost no energy and no protection we all go down very quickly again. Finally the tank says something in chat and blames me and I end up quitting. I still feel kind of bad about quitting but I just knew we weren't getting any where fast. I joined the queue again found a fantastic group and cut through it easy as pie without a single death so not all bad experiences.

BobFredJohn's Avatar


BobFredJohn
09.27.2014 , 12:42 AM | #4916
Quote: Originally Posted by BlueShiftRecall View Post
Iím relatively new to FP, I have other toons but never was very interested in FP until recently where I wanted to start a new toon and really get into a have some fun with them with other people. Iím learning to heal as a Scoundrel (currently level 26) and so far people have been friendly and I've been taking on any advice from more experienced players.

However today has been my only bad experience. We start the Athiss FP and we defeat the first mob pretty quick but I notice that Iím getting hammered quite hard and politely ask the DPS to try and keep the mobs of me. The two DPS acknowledge me but donít seem to do anything about it later on which frustrates me but I keep going. Our tank doesn't give anyone time to recuperate after any mob and will run directly onto the next mob and so soon my energy is just too low and Iíd already popped my cool head (cool down 2min) and one of our DPS dies and we just manage to win that mob. I go to revive the DPS when the tank just runs off again straight away and somehow manages to attract two mobs so we all die. I politely ask the tank to wait for the rest of us and not to rush ahead. We only just manage to beat the first boss but Iím so low on health because the DPS wonít help me and I spend much of my time trying to save myself from dying because both DPS and the Tank only focus on boss and leave me to fend for myself. After the first boss not long later the tank once again manages to attract two mobs (I don;t know why they're running off on their own all the time) and with me with almost no energy and no protection we all go down very quickly again. Finally the tank says something in chat and blames me and I end up quitting. I still feel kind of bad about quitting but I just knew we weren't getting any where fast. I joined the queue again found a fantastic group and cut through it easy as pie without a single death so not all bad experiences.
I ought to say, though you got lucky with your first few groups you should learn to get used to the whole dps and tank take 1 target, healer facetanks the others, the healer gets the blame when healer dies. Its actually surprisingly common. I cant give much advice for scoundrel as mines only lvl 24, but sorc and merc have some pretty nice dcd's. Just keep going and eventually you will probably have a decent bit of defense to keep yourself alive long enough for people to realise you are being attacked.
Teach me not what to think, but how to think

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. People are also entitled to ridicule your opinion if it is BS.

DogeDandolo's Avatar


DogeDandolo
09.27.2014 , 01:33 AM | #4917
Quote: Originally Posted by rashadk View Post
*snip*
I don't really think that had much to do with you playing a female. Out of the seven characters I have played for more than a few hours, three were women, including my main, and I've only had one creepy experience (when I asked for help in DK general because I couldn't find a mission objective, a lvl 55 came over and immediately started flirting with me). Granted, one of the three women wears full Mandalorian armour and the other's a catgirl, but I would still have expected much more sexual harassment from what I'd heard about MMO culture before starting SWTOR.

Rather, I've had a similar experience on my (male) Sorcerer -- I helped out a lowbie on Dromund Kaas, a marauder (of course). As they tend to be, he was way underlevelled for the content he was doing and also took five minutes of arguing until he equipped his offhand sabre (he felt he was doing more damage with a single one ...) Every time I logged on to my Sorc in the next few days, I was messaged by that marauder demanding that I help him (every time, I caught him with a single sabre). Further inquiry turned out that he was 12 years old. I suspect your experience had more to do with encountering a hopelessly incompetent player who refused to learn and could only proceed by hanging on to your robe-tails.

I'm sure your toon is very attractive, nonetheless. :P
Progenitor
Imperial Alliance loreius | nemorina | trebial | neruna | konanta | chirr'avar | vitellia | ashktarat | sem'irami'de | amfortas | fiordiligi | publio | radamŤs
New Republic Alliance rhiatavi | qatras | sarnova | torence | fidelio | despina | kundry | cenerentola

Halinalle's Avatar


Halinalle
09.27.2014 , 03:42 AM | #4918
Quote: Originally Posted by rashadk View Post
TL/DR Cliffs: made a female character, met a creep in FP, earned a stalker, learned an important lesson: no more female toons for me.
Could be worse...
I get comments from others in group only when I'm playing on my Merc (male, full Mandalorian Clansman) and sentinel (male, Casual Combatant + goggles from Binary Star vendor).

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
09.27.2014 , 07:02 AM | #4919
That's exactly why I NEVER do a female character in ANY online game.

I had a weird experience the day before yesterday :

I wanted to do the "Assault On Korriban" FP because I had never done this quest line before.
Me, I'm a pure story player. Without storym, SWTOR is notjing but thin air to me.
In the end, I ended up doimng "Assault on Tython", because that's what the quest leader was doing.
I had told him that I wanted to do Korriban first, but I was so stupid on the other hand that I didn't pay much attention to his remarks about doing Tython.

He apologised, but for me, a story player, THIS part of the story is now horribly screwed.
I need weeks to get gback to that. If ever.

That's the weakness story players have, because 99,99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 % of all SWTOR players are NOT story players. They are just not interested in any story of any kind.

I won't do these FPs in the next weeks or months. They're dead for me now until I've forgotten THIS screwed "beginning".
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

BobFredJohn's Avatar


BobFredJohn
09.27.2014 , 07:06 AM | #4920
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
That's exactly why I NEVER do a female character in ANY online game.

I had a weird experience the day before yesterday :

I wanted to do the "Assault On Korriban" FP because I had never done this quest line before.
Me, I'm a pure story player. Without storym, SWTOR is notjing but thin air to me.
In the end, I ended up doimng "Assault on Tython", because that's what the quest leader was doing.
I had told him that I wanted to do Korriban first, but I was so stupid on the other hand that I didn't pay much attention to his remarks about doing Tython.

He apologised, but for me, a story player, THIS part of the story is now horribly screwed.
I need weeks to get gback to that. If ever.

That's the weakness story players have, because 99,99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 % of all SWTOR players are NOT story players. They are just not interested in any story of any kind.

I won't do these FPs in the next weeks or months. They're dead for me now until I've forgotten THIS screwed "beginning".
Its likely (though I haven't checked) that the cutscenes have been uploaded to youtube, and the codex entries of missions can be read in any order you want, so just don't read the codex until you have done korriban.
Teach me not what to think, but how to think

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. People are also entitled to ridicule your opinion if it is BS.