Any new strongholds in the works or coming with the new Expansion?

AureliaSulis

I used to get so excited at the mention of a new stronghold, but after the last three, I'm... meh.

We got a useless train that most people can't even visit, with too many pre-placed assets and hooks you can't even get to. I loved the idea of a moving vehicle and the ability to unlock it through mission completion, but otherwise it was a disaster.

We got a stronghold in the middle of the galaxy's most boring ocean, which seemed to be designed with zero regard for all of the design suggestions posted by players over the years. Two rounds of hook upgrades were welcome but still didn't address the key issues, such as too few Flooring (rug) and underwater hooks.

Then we got the Rishi junkyard. While it's far better than the complete disaster zone we saw in PTS, the overwhelming atmosphere of mud and pollution limits the decorating themes we can use. The PvP zones are interesting, but there still aren't enough Flooring hooks (what, again?), along with other reoccurring problems.

All of them still have numerous bugs that haven't been addressed, such as unusable hooks, hooks that put objects partly inside solid objects or floors, and so forth.

At this point, the only thing I'm interested in are system and stronghold upgrades.

Expand the object movement above +/-20.

Increase the number of Companions and other NPCs we can place.

All those decorations with an unlock limit of 1? Bump that number up!

Add many Flooring (rug) hooks to all the strongholds.

Add a way to reach the Starship hooks on Nar Shaddaa and Manaan.

Release some really useful decorations, such as vendors and mission terminals.

THEN we can talk about a new stronghold...

Edited by Xina_LA

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, the only thing I'm interested in are system and stronghold upgrades.

Expand the object movement above +/-20.

Increase the number of Companions and other NPCs we can place.

All those decorations with an unlock limit of 1? Bump that number up!

Add many Flooring (rug) hooks to all the strongholds.

Add a way to reach the Starship hooks on Nar Shaddaa and Manaan.

Release some really useful decorations, such as vendors and mission terminals.

THEN we can talk about a new stronghold...

1. good idea on the movement

2. agreed on NPC's (maybe add a couple of contacts that we made on KotFE / ET

3. The limit thing of 1 is almost embarrassing .. I have several really nice drops from bosses that I can't even "take" right now because it exceeds the limit of one. (And I can't sell them because they are bound. So for now they are in storage.

4. We need access to more rugs before we install more hooks ! (sorry)

5. Reaching the Starships hooks is always a good thing. Not much point in having them if we can't get to them.

6. I've suggested additional vendors as well as "medical driods" and class trainers to be available at to add to SH locations. These could be made available through the CM.

I like your suggestion for the updates. That does not mean we need to delay the SH itself.

4. We need access to more rugs before we install more hooks ! (sorry)

I have dozens of unused rugs. I would like to be able to line them up to mimic carpet since they have yet to give us any floor or wall options, but I can't in the vast majority of rooms because there aren't enough rug hooks.

I doubt an existing SH will be expanded, such as Rishi. When the Manaan SH was released there was a huge lashback as to how it looked, how small it was and so on. But until this day nothing significant has been done with it. I believe they only tweaked hooks in the SH a bit? Not sure, if someone could confirm that would be great. But despite all the calls for an expansion of the Manaan SH, nothing has been done and from what I see nothing will be done. So I wouldn't expect Rishi to be expanded either.

As to new strongholds in Onslaught, I yearn so badly for an Onderon SH. That would be absolutely epic, to have a SH in Iziz or maybe just outside of the city or a way to access part of the jungles around Iziz. I sincerely hope we'll get a SH on Onderon sometime after Onslaught, because from what I see in the announcements I don't see any mention of a new SH in it.

When the Manaan SH was released there was a huge lashback as to how it looked, how small it was and so on. But until this day nothing significant has been done with it. I believe they only tweaked hooks in the SH a bit?

They repaired dozens of broken hooks and had two rounds of adding hooks. Some of the new hooks were placed in places that players specifically asked for.

Personally, I was disappointed that they didn't add any hooks in those bare underwater spaces, nor any rug hooks that I'm aware of. Unless I missed something, all the new hooks were in the exterior area.

I like your suggestion for the updates. That does not mean we need to delay the SH itself.

I doubt there are two teams, one that builds new strongholds and one that fixes/adds hooks to existing strongholds. That's why I'm disappointed if they're working on a new stronghold, because it probably means they're not spending their time fixing the old ones. If they did both at the same time, that added work would likely delay a new SH.

It seems like there are players who just want a new stronghold to decorate, no matter how broken it is, and players who want to be patient and wait for a quality stronghold. For the past couple of years, the devs appear to be listening to the folks who are happy with ugly-but-now.

Since the number of problems and bugs in new strongholds has been steadily increasing, I'm firmly in the "be patient, demand quality" camp. Otherwise, there's no telling how bad things will get. We all deserve fun strongholds that aren't frustrating or ugly.

And I doubt many players want another Umbaran train...

Edited by Xina_LA

I doubt an existing SH will be expanded, such as Rishi. When the Manaan SH was released there was a huge lashback as to how it looked, how small it was and so on. But until this day nothing significant has been done with it. I believe they only tweaked hooks in the SH a bit? Not sure, if someone could confirm that would be great. But despite all the calls for an expansion of the Manaan SH, nothing has been done and from what I see nothing will be done. So I wouldn't expect Rishi to be expanded either.

As to new strongholds in Onslaught, I yearn so badly for an Onderon SH. That would be absolutely epic, to have a SH in Iziz or maybe just outside of the city or a way to access part of the jungles around Iziz. I sincerely hope we'll get a SH on Onderon sometime after Onslaught, because from what I see in the announcements I don't see any mention of a new SH in it.

Might want to read this post Charles asked about a Dantooine Stronghold

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=962942

Might want to read this post Charles asked about a Dantooine Stronghold

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=962942

Thanks for the link.

Personally, I wouldn't want a "Jedi Enclave ruins stronghold".

I've had enough ruins. Rishi is a big, rusty ruin. Yavin 4 is a ruin. I've also had enough of strongholds with strong themes. Coruscant doesn't make sense as a Sith stronghold, for example. A generic ancient stone complex would be fine, though that's pretty much Yavin 4 again.

I don't care what planet it's on, as long as it's not buggy, has good hook placement, and has a useful room design.

Edited by Xina_LA

[/snip ... snip]

It seems like there are players who just want a new stronghold to decorate, no matter how broken it is, and players who want to be patient and wait for a quality stronghold. For the past couple of years, the devs appear to be listening to the folks who are happy with ugly-but-now.

Since the number of problems and bugs in new strongholds has been steadily increasing, I'm firmly in the "be patient, demand quality" camp. Otherwise, there's no telling how bad things will get. We all deserve fun strongholds that aren't frustrating or ugly.

And I doubt many players want another Umbaran train...

1. Who wants anything broken when it comes to anything. That doesn't help anyone.

2. Suggesting that the only way anything is relased right now IS broken is somewhat insulting to the development team as well.

3. Who on earth wants an Umbaran train ?? Ecch !

4. Any release of a stronghold should be of the best possible quality ... and yes when it comes to strongholds I believe that there is room for suggestions there as well. I have suggested (as an option) the possibility of having multiple lay-out schemes to choose from in any give room. Some would have larger hooks... some smaller .. and over amybe a different configufation of where those hooks might be placed.

Some folks like the "ruins" and some of us don't. Some of us prefer a moderistic touch with more of a "City in the Clouds" theme based idea. Some others might prefer the city in the clouds design ... but in a secluded beautiful country side setting ...

We should not give up on the possibilities ! There are always possibilities!

2. Suggesting that the only way anything is relased right now IS broken is somewhat insulting to the development team as well.

It's an insult to the players, not the devs, because it's true. It has been true for some time, now.

I would very much love to see a change in this trend, but it has not changed yet. Even the new preview window has numerous bugs.

Some of these bugs are not only big enough to be frustrating, but to crash the client, permanently change the course of a character's story arc, or erase character progress.

The devs create some really amazing things, but they need more TLC (read: QA) before they go into production.

I don't want the game to stop releasing anything new, I just hope they'll take a step back, change their thinking on how buggy is acceptable, patch up some existing problems, and then get back to the joy of creation.

Edited by Xina_LA

It's an insult to the players, not the devs, because it's true. It has been true for some time, now.

I would very much love to see a change in this trend, but it has not changed yet. Even the new preview window has numerous bugs.

Some of these bugs are not only big enough to be frustrating, but to crash the client, permanently change the course of a character's story arc, or erase character progress.

The devs create some really amazing things, but they need more TLC (read: QA) before they go into production.

I don't want the game to stop releasing anything new, I just hope they'll take a step back, change their thinking on how buggy is acceptable, patch up some existing problems, and then get back to the joy of creation.

The one thing we can agree on is that bugs need to be squashed.. But not just on strongholds. There are a few that I'm personally aware of that still are around and have been for a while. That really needs to be dealt with. This is true of ANY game development company.

That said .. I can agree that if is a month or so AFTER the release of 6.0 we get the new SH... then fine. But right now I'm not sure I like where the discussion is headed to on that right now any how !

(Looks like another wreckage and ruin outpost !) I think I'm gonna hurle ! BUT in fareness to others.. some like that sort of thing. My personal desires for a modernized SH that's more like the Starwars City in the Sky will just have to wait !

But hopefully not too long!

• 4 months later...

I can't be the only one who would like a small stronghold. I want a small hermit hut somewhere, i was hoping that's what Rishi's was going to be a small beach hut.

I want my Yoda on Dagobah , or Jolee on Kashyyyk hermit loner hut. Enough to put my storage stuff, a GTN, and when you finally get a round to putting in training dummies, and mission terminals ( don't really care if we never get terminals to pick up missions i just want drop off terminals so i can cash in and log out)

Edited by TLCuddy

Personally, I like more "homey" looking Strongholds like Coruscant**, D.K.**, Nar Shadaa. I don't want to have my R&R in a hut or a ruin.

Unfortunately, I also like faction neutral SHs so Coruscant and D.K. are out, and I don't particularly like the look and layout of Nar Shadaa, so currently Tatooine is my main stronghold because it has actual "rooms" (with doors).

For a new Stronghold - besides the garage/zoo/trophy room - I'd like an SH something like Coruscant/DK with actual rooms - some with windows - and a sort of neutral interior design look. I'm not sure what planet it should be on - something neutral, of course, or maybe in space overlooking a planet.

But it should also have an exterior area where you could have a garden, or whatever.

** Although it would be possible to make Coruscant or DK faction neutral it wouldn't make sense from a lore or RP aspect.

Edited by JediQuaker

Simple small apartment connected to fleet and fleet chat. I'm done with planet strongholds. As others have said the last several have been a disappointment. The last 4 for me. My Rishi will never be finished. When I go there it just sucks the creativity out of me.

Heck these days I just chill on fleet or my ship if I'm browsing the GTN or whatever. I'd like to have access to fleet chat as that is still the best place to see when groups are forming for event stuff or boss stuff, etc.

Small apartment on fleet with tons of overlapping hooks. Something a little bigger than Kaliyo's place. Make in generic to both factions and let's end the strongholds. Time to move on.

Simple small apartment connected to fleet and fleet chat. I'm done with planet strongholds. As others have said the last several have been a disappointment. The last 4 for me. My Rishi will never be finished. When I go there it just sucks the creativity out of me.

I have to agree, I was hoping for downtown Rishi and instead got a Rishi junkyard. It was really hard to decorate. I ended up stocking it with a semi-random assortment of Sith and fire-themed stuff that didn't go anywhere else.

If we got an apartment on the Station at Fleet, there are two features that I'd really like to see, features that would make it stand out for me as an enjoyable stronghold --

First, I'd like to see the elevators take us to a new level where we have access to player housing. I'd like to see gates where different sizes of apartments are available, where we can pick sections by name, and where we can see who all lives there. Basically, like "Lord of the Rings Online". Walk through the deluxe apartment gate, get a listing of Sections, pick one, and enter that virtual hallway. From there, visit whatever apartments have been marked Public. That would encourage visiting of other people's apartments and support roleplay.

Second, I'd love it if we saw our class ship docked outside an airlock. It would give the apartment a personal touch. It can't be a hook where we place a ship because of the landing gear...

Ability to decorate class ships

As written, that won't happen because the code for the class ships is a tangled mess of tangled tangles, and there ain't no way they're touching that (by their own admission). What might be interesting would be a mini stronghold that shaped like the class ship, but decoratable.

One with a nice large clear dome and a gorgeous view of space included !!;)

Yeah, I love the huge skylight in the Nar Shaddaa stronghold, that would be really awesome in a space stronghold, assuming there were occasional ships flying outside, a nebula rotating into view, that sort of thing.

Oh, and assuming the window is transparent. Depending on your graphics settings, the Nar Shaddaa skylight is yellow. :confused:

Not everyone. I'd like one on Hoth before anywhere else. :csw_atat::csw_snowspeeder:

There are only three new strongholds I want. (I also want additional underwater rooms added to Manaan, that have actual views you don't have to crane your neck to see.)

1. A ski chalet on Hoth.

2. A tropical retreat on Rakatta Prime.

3. A pleasure cruise ship that can orbit different planets.

Rishi was a big miss for me. I can't for the life of me figure out how to decorate it. I just use the beach as a stage for screenshots and rip it up constantly. I might as well kill Speedy since I never spend time there and won't miss him :mad:

Report Post Quote

Quote: Originally Posted by Monumenta

Id really like a space station stronghold and I would also like guilds to be able to own multiple strongholds.

our guild has that at moment, but our guild founder used his personal SH's to do it for us. Also our guild leader would like a SH on Alderaan for us like Organa's castle or House Thul

Edited by Calwred
update