finish initial macrobinocular and seeker droid quests - to keep them?

Divmontut

Sorry, the edit function said it would ,let me change the title but it's showing the old one.

And I cannot delete the message...

It's supposed to read:

Companion doesn't have the skill for a Weapon made for him?

Here's what I don't understand:

Companions have different weapons skills than me. I cannot use their weapons and they can't use mine (unless they are the same class or whatever). I can't use a laser rifle, but I buy them for my droid, etc.

I get this weapon called "Doc's (model #) Shotgun". It Requires Doc and Requires Scattergun.

Well, I didn't worry I don't have Scattergun, I don't have skills for light saber staff or laser rifle, either, but I get them for companions that do.

I go to give the gun to Doc and he only has skills for Pocket Pistol. Can't equip the gun made for him because it's Scattergun.

Someone tells me matter of fact it's because I'm the wrong class... that makes no sense.

I didn't even know different classes got the same comps, but even if they do, whoever programmed that didn't seem to know how their own video game worked.

*I am not supposed to need the skill, myself, that my companion needs for the gun that's made for him*

Thanks for hearing me bewilder.

(It's like no one even understood my point when I brought it up in chat)

Edited by Divmontut

Sorry, the edit function said it would ,let me change the title but it's showing the old one.

And I cannot delete the message...

It's supposed to read:

Companion doesn't have the skill for a Weapon made for him?

Yeah, thread title changes are a bit buggy.

Here's what I don't understand:

Companions have different weapons skills than me. I cannot use their weapons and they can't use mine (unless they are the same class or whatever). I can't use a laser rifle, but I buy them for my droid, etc.

Blaster Rifle, but whatever. And so far, so good. You'd sort of expect it in some cases, such as Sgt Rusk or Quinn the (...), since they are gun users but they are companions of, respectively, the Jedi Knight and the Sith Warrior. No way they'd use lightsabres.

I get this weapon called "Doc's (model #) Shotgun". It Requires Doc and Requires Scattergun.

Where did you get this weapon? It's worth noting that "Requires Doc" means that an item can only be used (worn, carried, whatever) by a character of the class "Doc", regardless of any other restrictions. Only one character in the galaxy is a member of that class, and he is Doctor Archibald Kimble, aka "Doc".

I'd strongly suggest vendoring this item, since it hasn't been of any use ever since 4.0 dropped in 2015. Before then, companions required gear to be effective in fights, just like player characters do even now, but 4.0 changed companions so their stats come 100% from your Presence score. (Raising their Influence rank boosts your Presence with them, and *that* boosts their combat stats.) So now, items that had no visual appearance (e.g. Qyzen Fess's helmet and gloves, droid armour, and invisible off-hand items like Focuses, Generators, Vibroknives and Scatterguns) are no longer used. Two-gun and two-sabre companions (e.g. Andronikos Revel, Master Ranos) have off-hand weapon slots because they have *visible* off-hand weapons, but one-weapon companions like Doc don't.

Well, I didn't worry I don't have Scattergun, I don't have skills for light saber staff or laser rifle, either, but I get them for companions that do.

As expected.

I go to give the gun to Doc and he only has skills for Pocket Pistol. Can't equip the gun made for him because it's Scattergun.

See above. (If you play Scoundrel, *you* can use a scattergun, except that you can't use this one because your class is not "Doc".)

Someone tells me matter of fact it's because I'm the wrong class... that makes no sense.

Whoever said that clearly wasn't paying attention to the details. If it was another player, who knows, but if it was an answer to a Customer Service ticket, well, CS is a bit variable - like most companies, they have training issues in their CS department.

I didn't even know different classes got the same comps, but even if they do, whoever programmed that didn't seem to know how their own video game worked.

Incorrect. They *did* know, but they changed the way the game worked, which means that Doc's (no longer relevant) scattergun is still in the game, but of no use. That happens in MMORPGs that have been around longer than a few months, and you shouldn't be surprised by it.

(It's like no one even understood my point when I brought it up in chat)

Probably not. Anyone who began after October 21 2015 (when 4.0 dropped) will never have had the exquisite joy of arriving at The Gauntlet at the end of Chapter 2 of the Trooper story, with no worthwhile gear on Tanno Vik or Sgt Yuun, both of whom are required companions for that segment of the story. (It doesn't happen today, because companion gear is 100% cosmetic, except that they must *have* a weapon (or a pair of weapons for dual-wielders).

Short answer:

That weapon is obsolete, sell it at the nearest vendor.

Longer answer:

Before 4.0 you needed to gear up your Character and your Companion. Back then you needed 7 Armor Pieces, 2 Implants, Ear, Mainhand and Offhand for your Companion. Depending on the companion an offhand was either a Blaster Pistol, Lightsaber, Generator, Shield, Vibroknife or Scattergun.

With 4.0 Companion gear became mostly cosmetic. The only piece of gear (can be an empty shell) you need to equip is a weapon to enable a companions skills. Since then you can/need only equip offhands on dual wielding companions (Blaster Pistol or Lightsaber) all other companion specific offhands, including Doc's Scatterguns, became obsolete Vendor trash.

That is most likely the result of a misunderstanding where the person that answered thought you were wondering why your character can not equip a Scattergun (used only by Scoundrels).

From an internal game-mechanical point of view, it's correct, though. OP's character *is* the wrong class to use the item, because the character does not belong to the class "Doc". (See notes above about each companion being the sole member of a class named for the companion.)

Thanks...

Of course my understandable confusion was:

I was granted a companion named Doc.

I did not know there was some class called Doc.

So when I saw it said "Doc's Shotgun" I thought it was for him.

When it said requires Doc, I thought it meant him, just like a T7 appearance customization requires T7 droid comp.

Someone has to admit this is confusing. I can't believe I'm the only person to wonder this, but to get the companion named Doc and to get this drop probably doesn't happen to everybody.

Thanks again.

Edited by Divmontut

Of course my understandable confusion was:

I was granted a companion named Doc.

I did not know there was some class called Doc.

So when I saw it said "Doc's Shotgun" I thought it was for him.

When it said requires Doc, I thought it meant him, just like a T7 appearance customization requires T7 droid comp.

Don't get confused by the 'class' Doc. That's only a technical thing. There is really only one companion named Doc**, and that weapon was for him. It's just that he can't use it anymore.

** Although, technically, there are many "Docs" because many people have their own Doc as a companion, there is only one 'type' of doc***. Things specified as "requires Doc" can be used only by 'Docs', just as things that say "requires Smuggler" can only be used by Smugglers.

*** Unless there is a technical difference between 'old' Doc, and post-KOTFE Doc. But it's still a Doc.

Edited by JediQuaker