Will SW:TOR get Mantle Support?

Kortio

Would be awesome. Mantle helps in removing most of the CPU Bottleneck and I feel like this could make the game a lot smoother. I realize that Mantle is very new, but since EA has a partnership with AMD, my hopes are really high tbh.

Any comment @Bioware?

Pros:

* No new hardware necessary, driver update is enough if you have a 7 series AMD Card or R Series.

* Removes/improves CPU Bottlenecks

* More efficient than DX9

Cons:

* Not yet supported by NVIDIA, support is possible though, but depends on NVIDIA to implement it into their drivers.

Edited by Kortio

Cons:

* Not yet supported by NVIDIA, support is possible though, but depends on NVIDIA to implement it into their drivers.

Doesn't seem likely to me or have I missed some news, where NVIDIA and AMD are no longer rivals / competitors in the GPU business?

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Doesn't seem likely to me.

Mantle is an API like OpenGL - implemented at driver level. And AMD has already said, that NVIDIA is free to implement it. AMD never makes things exclusive and always makes sure it runs on all GPUs, not only AMD ones. Example is the Hair from Tomb Raider - implemented in DirectCompute, so it runs on all DirectX capable graphic cards. So there is really nothing stopping NVIDIA from supporting it.

Article about it:

http://wccftech.com/amd-mantle-api-require-gcn-work-nvidia-graphic-cards/

Edited by Kortio

Mantle is an API like OpenGL - implemented at driver level. And AMD has already said, that NVIDIA is free to implement it. AMD never makes things exclusive and always makes sure it runs on all GPUs, not only AMD ones. Example is the Hair from Tomb Raider - implemented in DirectCompute, so it runs on all DirectX capable graphic cards. So there is really nothing stopping NVIDIA from supporting it.

Again, why would NVIDIA implement and / or push forward something developed by AMD to begin with?

And BF4 already got Mantle Support.

That's irrelevant. My point was why NVIDIA should support it, given the fact both companies compete with one another.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Again, why would NVIDIA implement and / or push forward something developed by AMD to begin with?

Because it offers a lot better performance than DirectX. With growing support in games, especially from EA/Dice (Frostbite Engine 2 is used in a lot of EA Games), NVIDIA Users WILL pressure NVIDIA into supporting it =).

They would be stupid to neglect it.

They'll either neglect or think of a response to it but they certainly won't support or endorse it.

Fine. Let them. I am an AMD User, to be quite honest, I don't care if NVIDIA implements it or not :p. Fact is though, that EA does support Mantle with BF4 and I want to see it in SW:TOR and I think the chances are not bad.

Fine. Let them. I am an AMD User, to be quite honest, I don't care if NVIDIA implements it or not :p. Fact is though, that EA does support Mantle with BF4 and I want to see it in SW:TOR and I think the chances are not bad.

Really? I'm sure that one would ever reach that conclusion on their own, having in mind your OP and the ones that followed it. And DICE is supporting Mantle with BF4, not EA per se.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Nvidia has simply no interest in Mantle. At least at this time.

When DICE started to develop Mantle, they asked AMD, Intel and Nvidia for coorperation, but only AMD was interested.

And i highly doubt, that SWTOR will ever get Mantle support.

Chris Roberts, lead developer of Star Citizen, said in an interview about Mantle that it's very difficult to implement Mantle retroactively into a game engine and would require a lot of work.

And we all know Biowares opinion, when something requires a lot of work... :rolleyes:

Edited by Sindariel

Really? I'm sure that one would ever reach that conclusion on their own, having in mind your OP and the ones that followed it. And DICE is supporting Mantle with BF4, not EA per se.

Read my comment again. Frostbite 2 is used by most EA Games, even Dragon Age 3. So it is not really a hassle to support it. Unfortunately, SW:TOR is not made with Frostbite.

Chris Roberts, lead developer of Star Citizen, said in an interview about Mantle that it's very difficult to implement Mantle retroactively into a game engine and would require a lot of work.

Sorry, but when it comes to things like that, I rather listen to other people that are not film makers, you know?

It is like when Notch is calling other companies out for unoptimized games..

And as a graphics programmer I can tell you, that it is actually easy to exchange the core renderer in an engine, if you program it modular enough. Normally an Engine has it's core renderer in a seperate module. And you just change "the inside" of your module while leaving the API that is used by the rest of your engine intact. This means, you only write code once for the rest of the engine, but have 3 different modules of your core renderer - DirectX, OpenGL and Mantle. If you want to see an example of how this is done and if you are savy with C++, have a look at Ogre3D. Of course, you have to enable your engine for something like that when you design it, if you don't, then yeah, it can be difficult. I still have to get my hands on the Mantle SDK though and I hope there will be a public one.

Read my comment again. Frostbite 2 is used by most EA Games, even Dragon Age 3. So it is not really a hassle to support it. Unfortunately, SW:TOR is not made with Frostbite.

Untrue.

If you check most games released by EA on a yearly basis, not even half run on the Frostbite engine; That one is reserved for higher-profile releases. Also, unless something changed, Inquisition will run on Frostbite 3.

And I said what I said because last I checked, the developer responsible for Frostbite and all its iterations is DICE. Thus, DICE supports Mantle, not EA - the publisher - on the whole.

Edited by Darth_Wicked