Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

All the systems for 6.0 seem unappealing. Bioware you need to pay attention.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
All the systems for 6.0 seem unappealing. Bioware you need to pay attention.

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
09.15.2019 , 07:54 AM | #331
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
My memory might not be all that good, but I can clearly remember one time during vanilla that I had accidentally equipped my Smuggler with Trooper mods. Only after I noticed did I think that killing things had seemed a bit harder.

So, gear has always been important - but not THAT important. 😊

Gear has always been a thing for min-maxxers and dedicated PvP'ers, but for general PvE it's always been less important. Often it comes down to whether you kill an enemy with 12 attacks, or 13. Whoopie! 😎
Exactly. Was it more difficult? Yes, nobody has stated that it wasnt (although many seem to feel im saying that). Im not saying that. Never have. Im saying gear was never as important as people are believing. I am still playing, successfully, having used gear that wasnt intended for my class during vanilla swtor. It happened. It didnt affect my ability to reach this point. Life continued. People are just being melodramatic, a common finding of this playerbase.

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
09.15.2019 , 07:56 AM | #332
Quote: Originally Posted by Kifusan View Post
That's just plain obtuse.
What do you work for biofail or have no life and NEED to spend 80 hours/week to get gear?
It is more like 99.9% no votes for RNG, don't lie.
I dont plan to change my playstyle or playtime, amd still plan to gear up faster than any previous loot system.

Darev's Avatar


Darev
09.15.2019 , 07:58 AM | #333
Of course it was harder to level if you had the wrong stats in the beginning of the game.
You had to match your class to your stat
Operatives/Smugglers = Cunning
BH / Commando = Aim
Inquisitors / Consulars = Willpower
Warriors / Knights = Strength

And, in order to make your companions useful, you had to gear them in the correct stats as well.
Not to mention some classes got their healer companion last in their story (that was always a blast)
...and for those of you who weren't around for that, our companions were DPS or Tanks or Healers....no companion could do more than their one role at the time.

Was it impossible to level if you used tank gear on your sniper? No, not impossible, but it was a significant challenge if you weren't over leveled. When I played back then I remember the gear became noticeably more important somewhere between level 35-40. It took a few different toons to realize that.

Getting back to the whole RNG gearing system that we have on PTS...
Green gear has always been basic starter gear for whatever content was new. It should be relatively cheap and common. Blue gear, to me at least, was always the "standard" that players should have. It shouldn't drop from the sky, but the harder mobs out in the work, the gold mobs for example, and the champions, should drop it fairly often. The purples / artifact gear is the rare type for random npc drops.

RNG out in the world for those loot types is totally fine and has been in the game since day one.

Talking about how it was in the past, especially in Vanilla, is an attempt to distract away from the main point.
The main point, which, when they update PTS next week, could very well change again.

They messed up with the initial design of 6.0.
They are going to lose subs if they don't fix it to a satisfactory degree
Some people will say good riddance, they always do.
This time, however, it won't be JUST frequent forum posters leaving. Some of these mighty social media Influencers may leave as well. They aren't on these forums posting frequently, putting their thoughts out there for the devs to read. We don't see what, or if, they're talking to the devs at all.
But IF they do leave, they'll take people away with them...or keep curious people away.

Just a prediction.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

Darev's Avatar


Darev
09.15.2019 , 07:59 AM | #334
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
Different era. It didnt cater to solo play, comps were weaker - both of which would lead someone to believe min/maxing was needed. However, you still didnt need to min/max because there were a lot more players around to group with. Having the trinity was extremely common, and even if you didnt, having 3dps and 1t/h was doable as well.

Nowadays, at least in 6.0, the situation is reversed, but the need for min/maxing through content isnt (sans hm/nim). The trinity (and playerbase) is more scarce, but the content is scaled, the comps are very resilient. It makes up for it, at least in my experience on PTS. Its actually a great example of how BW has been cognizant of, and reactive to, the changes the game has needed, and appropriately applied them. Perhaps the changes werent the most bestest in your eyes, but it kept the game going many, many years.
90% of my original gameplay was solo.
The only time I ever grouped for the original story content was when I COULDN'T kill something (because I didn't understand gearing)
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
09.15.2019 , 10:43 AM | #335
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
Different era. It didnt cater to solo play, comps were weaker - both of which would lead someone to believe min/maxing was needed. However, you still didnt need to min/max because there were a lot more players around to group with. Having the trinity was extremely common, and even if you didnt, having 3dps and 1t/h was doable as well.

Nowadays, at least in 6.0, the situation is reversed, but the need for min/maxing through content isnt (sans hm/nim). The trinity (and playerbase) is more scarce, but the content is scaled, the comps are very resilient. It makes up for it, at least in my experience on PTS. Its actually a great example of how BW has been cognizant of, and reactive to, the changes the game has needed, and appropriately applied them. Perhaps the changes werent the most bestest in your eyes, but it kept the game going many, many years.
What are you talking about? People only grouped up for heroics and flashpoints. No one was running in groups while leveling doing their story quests and side quests. The game pretty much discouraged that with how story instances worked.

No one is saying leveling back then was extremely difficult either. Just compared to today you actually had to pay attention back then and have your gear decently upgraded, especially when doing boss fights within your story instances. You had to actually use your stuns and interrupts correctly else you'd get wrecked, especially if you didn't have your healing companion yet. The addition of treek is what started making it brainless because her healing was so damn strong, but back then you couldn't just waltz through content with gear that's 10-15 levels behind like you can now because of how strong companions are.

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
09.15.2019 , 10:46 AM | #336
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
What are you talking about? People only grouped up for heroics and flashpoints. No one was running in groups while leveling doing their story quests and side quests. The game pretty much discouraged that with how story instances worked.

No one is saying leveling back then was extremely difficult either. Just compared to today you actually had to pay attention back then, especially when doing boss fights within your story instances. You had to actually use your stuns and interrupts correctly else you'd get wrecked, especially if you didn't have your healing companion yet. The addition of treek is what started making it brainless because her healing was so damn strong.
Are you agreeing with me or .......??

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.16.2019 , 02:33 AM | #337
Quote: Originally Posted by Darev View Post
when I COULDN'T kill something (because I didn't understand gearing)
Same for me at the time (till I spent time to learn it)
Imagine how new or less knowledgeable people are going to react to the overly complicated and heavy RNG system in 6.0 if it went live as it currently is on the PTS.
They are making changes to it, but they need to make so many changes to ease back on the RNG and hopefully uncomplicate the system as it currently is or people wonít be able to have fun trying to gear. Iím really concerned there isnít time or that they are willing to go far enough when making the changes.
And itís not just the RNG gearing rewards, vendorís or drops. There is also the crafting system that is so onerous that no one in their right mind will use it to gear up. The current PTS version for crafting is so out of balance compared to the time x costs vs world drops. And that is for green gear that should be the easiest, cheapest and fastest to make because itís always been entry level gear. Iím not even talking about blue or purple items which are even worse and also need to be looked at.
The idea of having to grind mastermode flashpoints to get isotopes to make green gear that would be redundant by the time you make it is mind blowingly stupid. Crafting needs just as much light shone on it as the whole setup RNG gearing.
Please click below link for FREE stuff and Friend Referal for Free 7 day subscription

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.16.2019 , 02:35 AM | #338
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
Are you agreeing with me or .......??
I think you need to sort out your own point of view because your argument is going in circles.
Please click below link for FREE stuff and Friend Referal for Free 7 day subscription

Tharandil's Avatar


Tharandil
09.16.2019 , 03:11 AM | #339
I think we may have drifted a little bit of topic here

Please use my signature link and I'll be grateful!
Use my Referral Link for a Free Bundle and 7 Day Subscription
http://www.swtor.com/r/3yFZKg

omaan's Avatar


omaan
09.16.2019 , 03:48 AM | #340
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
From what i saw on pts main source of gear will be ops/flash points. BUT pvp players have no desire and time to play pve yet we still need best gear/sets/amplifiers/tactical items for pvp....and since pvp gearing looks pretty weak you guys need to make IT as GOOD As PVE gearing because making pvp gearing slow is against "play what you want" policy, against pvp players, and any normal sense. Who will play something he doesn't like to get instruments he requries for playing something he likes? Yes, no one. people want to get what they need and what they want throughout playing what THEY LIKE. Thats what games were created for
As i wrote here.. we need new UCs and expertise gear or we going to have these pvp vs pve gearing conflicts forever