Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

All the systems for 6.0 seem unappealing. Bioware you need to pay attention.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
All the systems for 6.0 seem unappealing. Bioware you need to pay attention.

Damask_Rose's Avatar


Damask_Rose
09.14.2019 , 09:48 AM | #321
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
I didnt say it was all RNG, but the npcs did follow a similar system as 6.0.
The pool of potential loot was significantly smaller. Pool size is very important when designing an RNG system. Having a 20% chance of getting something you need is very different from having a .2% chance of getting something you need. They are making some changes to improve the odds. We shall see next week if it is enough.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
09.14.2019 , 01:18 PM | #322
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
Or normal players that could complete content easily even with random gear slapped together until the end game. There was no need to organize gear from 1-50.
Erm....no. Vanilla didn't have mastery stat. You had to actually pay attention and be properly geared, especially since a lot of classes didn't get their healing companions till way later. You couldn't just run around and one shot everything like you can now. If you were undergeared or even slightly underleveled a lot of the story quests mini boss fights would absolutely wreck you.

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
09.14.2019 , 04:37 PM | #323
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Erm....no. Vanilla didn't have mastery stat. You had to actually pay attention and be properly geared, especially since a lot of classes didn't get their healing companions till way later. You couldn't just run around and one shot everything like you can now. If you were undergeared or even slightly underleveled a lot of the story quests mini boss fights would absolutely wreck you.
The only truth from this is not having mastery.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
09.14.2019 , 06:18 PM | #324
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
The only truth from this is not having mastery.
Your memory is just bad.

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.14.2019 , 08:09 PM | #325
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
The only truth from this is not having mastery.
Raansu is correct, I think your memory is a little faulty here. The game was much harder and stats and gearing did actually matter.
Please click below link for FREE stuff and Friend Referal for Free 7 day subscription

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
09.14.2019 , 08:26 PM | #326
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
Raansu is correct, I think your memory is a little faulty here. The game was much harder and stats and gearing did actually matter.
The game was harder, but stats didnt matter much unless you were soloing stuff.

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.14.2019 , 08:52 PM | #327
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
The game was harder, but stats didnt matter much unless you were soloing stuff.
Sure, iíll concede, if you ran in a 4 man trinity group everywhere you did not need to worry about stats unless you were doing flash points, ops or 4 man heroics. But how many people actually played all the time in groups like that?
You also proved what we were saying because you referred to stats actually mattering if you werenít in a group. Which means you needed to gear correctly or you were always at the whim of others to play the content you wanted.
Some of the actual solo story bosses were also hard and not everyone wanted to wait to get help with them or could get help to start with. I remember Baris being pretty hard at the end of Sith warrior story and I died numerous times till I got the right gear and learnt his mechanics. Most people I knew at the time got others to help them.
Gearing did actually matter and I think you have rose coloured glasses if you think it didnít.

Edit : you might also have forgotten it was nearly as important to gear your comps up properly too because there was no generic stats or roles for them back then. An under geared or poorly geared comp could be just as bad as being under geared yourself.
Please click below link for FREE stuff and Friend Referal for Free 7 day subscription

Kifusan's Avatar


Kifusan
09.15.2019 , 05:41 AM | #328
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
They dont have to be RNG, but that doesnt mean it shouldn't be, sometimes. Its not your cup of tea? Thanks for your input. Tally 1 for non-RNG, or perhaps tally 1 for RNG if you keep paying and/or playing. Again, your vote/voice is only worth 1, the same as all of us, per account.
That's just plain obtuse.
What do you work for biofail or have no life and NEED to spend 80 hours/week to get gear?
It is more like 99.9% no votes for RNG, don't lie.

JediQuaker's Avatar


JediQuaker
09.15.2019 , 07:29 AM | #329
My memory might not be all that good, but I can clearly remember one time during vanilla that I had accidentally equipped my Smuggler with Trooper mods. Only after I noticed did I think that killing things had seemed a bit harder.

So, gear has always been important - but not THAT important. 😊

Gear has always been a thing for min-maxxers and dedicated PvP'ers, but for general PvE it's always been less important. Often it comes down to whether you kill an enemy with 12 attacks, or 13. Whoopie! 😎
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
09.15.2019 , 07:50 AM | #330
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
Sure, iíll concede, if you ran in a 4 man trinity group everywhere you did not need to worry about stats unless you were doing flash points, ops or 4 man heroics. But how many people actually played all the time in groups like that?
You also proved what we were saying because you referred to stats actually mattering if you werenít in a group. Which means you needed to gear correctly or you were always at the whim of others to play the content you wanted.
Some of the actual solo story bosses were also hard and not everyone wanted to wait to get help with them or could get help to start with. I remember Baris being pretty hard at the end of Sith warrior story and I died numerous times till I got the right gear and learnt his mechanics. Most people I knew at the time got others to help them.
Gearing did actually matter and I think you have rose coloured glasses if you think it didnít.

Edit : you might also have forgotten it was nearly as important to gear your comps up properly too because there was no generic stats or roles for them back then. An under geared or poorly geared comp could be just as bad as being under geared yourself.
Different era. It didnt cater to solo play, comps were weaker - both of which would lead someone to believe min/maxing was needed. However, you still didnt need to min/max because there were a lot more players around to group with. Having the trinity was extremely common, and even if you didnt, having 3dps and 1t/h was doable as well.

Nowadays, at least in 6.0, the situation is reversed, but the need for min/maxing through content isnt (sans hm/nim). The trinity (and playerbase) is more scarce, but the content is scaled, the comps are very resilient. It makes up for it, at least in my experience on PTS. Its actually a great example of how BW has been cognizant of, and reactive to, the changes the game has needed, and appropriately applied them. Perhaps the changes werent the most bestest in your eyes, but it kept the game going many, many years.