Legacy Family Tree... Is This A Joke

Freyrr

So they decided to give us a legacy family tree to connect all our characters and make us feel warm and fuzzy to be able to see our world. Now then I've got my master Jedi here and my... wait... HOW IS THERE NO MASTER APPRENTICE OPTION! Seriously BioWare what the hell were you thinking? We are talking Jedi and Sith here yet you don't give us any kind of master/apprentice option what so ever? It is bad enough the only family options you decided to give us are sibling and child/adopted child. I know that this is a little thing and the family tree really has no actual use but you could at least try and pretend like you put some though into this.

Also not to burst your bubble or anything but not everyone started with the parents. If I decide to go make my characters dear old dad then I shouldn't have to clear my tree and start with him since you only decided to give us a child option.

Now if you all will excuse me I'm off to decide if calling my Twi'lek daughter is gonna give her daddy issues.

for once i'd like to see people share their ideas in a constructive fashion without contempt and douchiness. I really hope the folks at bioware have a policy regarding messages like this which allow them to completely ignore it.

Dude, just choose Ally. I wanted a "Friends with benefits" or a "Ex-boyfriend/ Ex-girlfriend" option but I didn't get it. So I chose "Ally" or "Rival" depending on how the relationship has played out in my head.

Seriously not a big deal. Get off your high horse and start using your creativity to solve problems as well as RP.

OP, your post comes across as if it's nothing more than a selfish rant based on what you want specifically. I feel your pain, and understand the anger, but spewing it like cosmic space monkey poo at random passersby in a forum isn't really helping your case :)

Let's try to paraphrase what you're trying to get across:

I feel the Legacy System relationships are too limited. There are only 5 options, and many of them are too strict in definition to be suitable for the many many other types of relationships I could have. I'd like to see an ability to custom-name the types of relationships my character has within those 5 options. For instance, re-name a 'spouse' option to be 'mistress' or rename an 'ally' option to be 'student'.

If we had this ability, it woudl help us to have a much broader scope of relationships in our Role Play.

In addition I will add my own comment about the Legacy system:

I am having a hard time connecting my characters together, because it seems like it limits how many of each type of relationship I can have?

For instance, I have a main character with 2 siblings. I wanted to add some allies and enemies to that main character, but those slots are now grayed out and I'm only allowed to add a child or an adopted child. I can't even add a spouse now that I have two siblings.

I'm concerned that the system actually is telling me I can only be related to three other characters at a time. this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, there's tons of people out there in the real world with more than 2 siblings, so I would like to see if they can expand the actual relationship mechanics to allow more connections to a single character without the limitations and graying out on how many I'm "allowed".

OP, your post comes across as if it's nothing more than a selfish rant based on what you want specifically. I feel your pain, and understand the anger, but spewing it like cosmic space monkey poo at random passersby in a forum isn't really helping your case :)

I feel the Legacy System relationships are too limited. There are only 5 options, and many of them are too strict in definition to be suitable for the many many other types of relationships I could have. I'd like to see an ability to custom-name the types of relationships my character has within those 5 options. For instance, re-name a 'spouse' option to be 'mistress' or rename an 'ally' option to be 'student'.

If we had this ability, it woudl help us to have a much broader scope of relationships in our Role Play.

I am having a hard time connecting my characters together, because it seems like it limits how many of each type of relationship I can have?

For instance, I have a main character with 2 siblings. I wanted to add some allies and enemies to that main character, but those slots are now grayed out and I'm only allowed to add a child or an adopted child. I can't even add a spouse now that I have two siblings.

I'm concerned that the system actually is telling me I can only be related to three other characters at a time. this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, there's tons of people out there in the real world with more than 2 siblings, so I would like to see if they can expand the actual relationship mechanics to allow more connections to a single character without the limitations and graying out on how many I'm "allowed".

Thanks for that, RebelWeasel. And I didn't know about those limits either.

I'm interested in seeing more posts about how everyone has built their trees too. I think this is a GREAT place to start doing that too. Especially for Freyrr's sake.

I usually have two main characters on every game, one for each faction. Since swtor has so many sub-classes I wanted to try out all the different types of healers.

Twi'lek Sage < adversary > Sith pureblood Sorcerer

^.......................................^

sibling................................child

v........................................v

Twi'lek BH.........<Ally>.......Sith Smuggler

what I"m not able to add to this is making the BH and Smuggler Allies

Apparently we can't make a 'full circle' of relationships.

Edited by Sydth

I'm interested in seeing more posts about how everyone has built their trees too. I think this is a GREAT place to start doing that too. Especially for Freyrr's sake.

Apparently we can't make a 'full circle' of relationships.

You can't really make full circles...no...which kiiiiinda sucks. I was about to actually type out my solution...but that would've been confusing...SO....

- What my original "Legacy" should have looked like.

If there's no line connected...they simply don't know each other and have no "immediate" relation. But as is in real life (and as such the pattern for many a movie), friends of friends/enemies QUICKLY become your own friends/enemies. So although my main doesn't necessarily know my Consular right now...it's only a matter of time before they come to know each other...and a new ally is born. As such, my Marauder's allies will quickly become my enemies. I think the only two that this doesn't apply to would be my BH & IO. I could go into detail, but I wanted to keep this to the point.

- What my Legacy workaround looks like.

In a round about way....i guess it make sense when comparing it to what I originally had in mind...but...ugh. It really doesn't capture relations well.

(side note: apparently indents and bullets don't work in this new forum layout yet :rolleyes:)

I can't really answer why they won't let you change the names of the branches other then...maybe there's a possibility that those have to be named as such because there's going to be future tie-in's to each different legacy connection (ihope)? (i.e. siblings will eventually grant such-and-such. Allies will grant such-and-such. Rivals will cause such-and-such, etc.) But that does leave me wanting more

for once i'd like to see people share their ideas in a constructive fashion without contempt and douchiness. I really hope the folks at bioware have a policy regarding messages like this which allow them to completely ignore it.

Ah, but where's the fun in that when some schmuck from Boise can't channel his inner Angry Video Game Nerd or get in touch with his TotalBiscuit instincts?

...Nah, I think I could live without that. Burn all the soapboxes.

(side note: apparently indents and bullets don't work in this new forum layout yet :rolleyes:)

yeah i had to sit here a moment and figure it out. had to use periods and color them ¬.¬

^......................................................^

sibling...........................................child

v......................................................v

Ah, but where's the fun in that when some schmuck from Boise can't channel his inner Angry Video Game Nerd or get in touch with his TotalBiscuit instincts?

...Nah, I think I could live without that. Burn all the soapboxes.

Burn them all

Edited by Sydth

You realize this is Legacy System 1.0, right? Future updates are going to expand the Legacy system, and to think that the current 8 options provided will be the only ones for ever and ever is just shortsighted. Be patient, give it time, and for now, just select the closet approximation. I went with Adopted Child for my Master/Apprentice ties. Ally seems to be another popular choice.

I'd advise you to keep your future critiques as positive and constructive as possible. Nothing ever good came out of harsh language and slander :)

You realize this is Legacy System 1.0, right? Future updates are going to expand the Legacy system, and to think that the current 8 options provided will be the only ones for ever and ever is just shortsighted. Be patient, give it time, and for now, just select the closet approximation. I went with Adopted Child for my Master/Apprentice ties. Ally seems to be another popular choice.

I'd advise you to keep your future critiques as positive and constructive as possible. Nothing ever good came out of harsh language and slander :)

Thanks

I'm hoping you're only aiming this at the thread starter (Freyrr) and not the rest of us.

I don't think the thingy i pointed out is something to look forward to in future content. But rather something to be fixed in the future. How do I put this? At the moment I can't configure the tree to say that my enemy's brother is my daughter's ally. :rod_confused_p:

it's just the tree im not compaining.

peace, love and burning soap boxes

Thanks

I'm hoping you're only aiming this at the thread starter (Freyrr) and not the rest of us.

I don't think the thingy i pointed out is something to look forward to in future content. But rather something to be fixed in the future. How do I put this? At the moment I can't configure the tree to say that my enemy's brother is my daughter's ally. :rod_confused_p:

it's just the tree im not compaining.

peace, love and burning soap boxes

The comment about keeping things civil was directed at the OP, yes.

I too was having trouble at first. It seems like there might be a bug that keeps a few legacy ties blocked when you try to set them. For example, I could no make my Main's enemy have an ally. After closing/opening the Legacy menu a few times, I was able to get all the options to work, all the time.

I was about to make my own topic in general or somewhere else just before I found this so I will post what my solutions look like.

Fixing the Clunky and Useless Legacy Family Trees.

I will of course renounce all claim on my ideas in this post because if even one goes through I would be happy :-)

Currently the family tree does about as much as the legendary legacy exp bar did before 1.2 and it gets in the way...

At least let us zoom out because a few of my characters got pushed so far they went out of the window...

I know they tried to make it look like a family tree but aren't there a lot of people out there that would rather have big alliances than great grandfather twi'lek with his son pure blood sith....

Step 1: Fixing the auto placement.

When you place your first character the 8 adjacent slots become active and you can place next characters in one of those then more become slots open for the next. To make connections you drag a link between your already placed characters but only adjacent ones. This lets you control how the set of your characters looks and lets you create loops ie. my friends brother is my enemy.

And lastly let us create custom connections, the only one I really miss is Padawan, but there are many others out there.

Step 2: Sharing it with others.

Let us link our family trees or inspect other peoples family trees so you can share a visual of your alts on the server to friends.

Step 3: Making it feel like the central part of the old republic.

Make the character choice screen a visual of your family tree. This will not do much except be fun for people.

Step 4: Making it Legendary and a feature no star wars fan will forget.

Let us write a biography for our own legacy and put in a button to play a star wars style crawler of your own legacy.

When you say 'Full circle,' what do you mean? Hero-Spouse-Child-Ally-Spouse?

Like, having the children of two married couples be enemies? Something like that?

um.... yeah.. i don't know why it's so hard for me to explain it but it is definitely tricky lol

i tried to "draw" it:

^.......................................^

sibling................................child

v........................................v

The Ally relationship marked in RED is what i can't do

or by saying my enemy's brother is my daughter's ally.

Edited by Sydth

Actually RebelWeasel you can do it, yo just have move them all back to the "unaligned" area and start over. For example, like look at my 4 sisters below. When I tried making them all Racquel's sisters, it wouldn't let me... But what I did was..

Racquel sister to Ashley

Ashley sister to Jennica

Jordan sister to Jennica

SO, now all are sisters, yet not all are "hooked" directly to Racquel. Weird, but hey that's how it's programmed, at least for now.

Then, I also have

Usaajjaya is rival to Racquel

Nightbird is child to Racquel (though i want her to be Racquel's daughter, I'm still working on details on why my smuggler has a Sith Warrior daughter lol)

If I wanted more sisters, I couldn't hook any more to Racquel, but I could to Jordan.

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

Now then I've got my master Jedi here and my... wait... HOW IS THERE NO MASTER APPRENTICE OPTION! Seriously BioWare what the hell were you thinking? We are talking Jedi and Sith here yet you don't give us any kind of master/apprentice option what so ever?

Just my opinion, but I thought this made perfect sense. All the Jedi and Sith classes have the master/apprentice relationship established very early in the story line. How can a Sith have two masters, after all? If your Marauder is going to have Darth Baras as her master, how can she also have some other toon in your legacy as a second master? That seems to make no logical sense to me.

Now I know that some will say, "At least let me use the apprentice option then, since the story doesn't give my <insert class here> an apprentice." To which I say, how can you have another toon as an apprentice without in turn being a master to that toon? If that Marauder toon in your legacy is supposed to be apprentice to your Juggernaut toon, then what is Darth Baras? A really domineering tutor? ;-)

Seriously, though, while I agree in general that more relationship options should be added in future updates, the whole Master/Apprentice thing is something I think should remain in the story line and NOT in the legacy.

Edited by Alyanya

Just my opinion, but I thought this made perfect sense. All the Jedi and Sith classes have the master/apprentice relationship established very early in the story line. How can a Sith have two masters, after all? If your Marauder is going to have Darth Baras as her master, how can she also have some other toon in your legacy as a second master? That seems to make no logical sense to me.

Now I know that some will say, "At least let me use the apprentice option then, since the story doesn't give my <insert class here> an apprentice." To which I say, how can you have another toon as an apprentice without in turn being a master to that toon? If that Marauder toon in your legacy is supposed to be apprentice to your Juggernaut toon, then what is Darth Baras? A really domineering tutor? ;-)

Seriously, though, while I agree in general that more relationship options should be added in future updates, the whole Master/Apprentice thing is something I think should remain in the story line and NOT in the legacy.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=386689&page=3

If you wish to read an almost final draft of my preferred legacy you will find it about half way through this thread: The Silverthorn Legacy.

You Have to give some leeway to an MMO game trying to make a story based game, so you either have to ignore the class story or get creative:

My marauder used to be on the council but she had a nonforceusing son which is a disgrace for a sith pure blood.

So they stripped her rank and over 50 years she lost most of her training.

When she was ready to return she found her place had been taken by Darth Baras, so she hid and began from the bottom as an acolyte again always planning to take down Baras.

While on korriban right before the start of the class story the marauder senses the force in the sorcerer who is still a slave and decides to prepare her to be apprentice.

But being stripped of former rank she couldn't have an apprentice, so she tells her to make her own way through the academy but remember who gave her the chance and soon become apprentice.

(even once they are both darths the sorcerer is still considered apprentice)

Edited by AruthaWolf

Many players choose not to use the class storyline (or use it very selectively) in their RP. It makes no logical sense when interacting with dozens of other player characters, all of whom -also- have Darth Baras as their Master. Keeping the class story and personal RP separate (to an extent) makes those types of bizarre, head-scratching moments much rarer.

I'm personally finding the legacy tree of limited use. Given the option, I prefer to have long-lost brothers or angry rivals portrayed by other players, so my character can actually interact with them in an in-game RP setting to create narrative.

Because your Jedi Master is NOT your family?

Or did you forget the whole "don't have personal relationships" clause in your enlistment papers when you joined the academy? If you, A Jedi, have a son, another Jedi, you are not allowed to teach him because it would foster a relationship. And that's only if you are still allowed to be a Jedi when the Order found out you made a baby!

First thing I hope they do is allow a character to have two parents, yeah i know weird right....

Secondly I would like to add more then one relationship between people, for example my sister is also my enemy.

Third add more choices/ write your own.

And of course u need to be able to share it somehow.

(maybe add something that effects anything via the family tree, dunno what though ^-^)

I agree, there is a lot to expand.

To add to that, I would love to see us as player able to "link" our legacy trees. In essence, if we want to be siblings, a friend and I, we can and then when we click 'Y' we see both our trees updated with how it is set up (also, changes in a personal relationship between players needs mutual consent. If I don't want to be my friend's brother anymore for our rp and instead his rival, he and I would both have to agree to it through mail or something).

Otherwise, I am happy with it. It is a start and that is what is good about it. Now about those in-game character bios...

Because your Jedi Master is NOT your family?

Or did you forget the whole "don't have personal relationships" clause in your enlistment papers when you joined the academy? If you, A Jedi, have a son, another Jedi, you are not allowed to teach him because it would foster a relationship. And that's only if you are still allowed to be a Jedi when the Order found out you made a baby!

And I suppose allies and rivals are in your family?