What's up with all the salve guilds?

Karaiblis

I am new to RP. Never really did it until a few of us got sucked into the Formal Apology thread from the Story and Lore forum section, and ended up transfered to the RP section. But it has been really fun, and I decided to go and check out an RP server last week to try some more of it. My character is still in the midteen levels, but I've been approached to join guilds several times. In one week there have been three offers for a 'slave guild' advertised by the person sending me tells as: active, with slave auctions and events every few weeks.

At first I thought it must just be a large guild that was heavily recruiting in newb areas, but I asked for more information, and all three were separate guilds. I may not have RP'ed before, but anyone who games across several MMO's, and does CCG gaming events, is at least somewhat aware of RP in a peripheral sense; and I've never noticed this theme being used outside of a few individuals, not in such a predominate genre-wide group...umm, free for all.

Is this a common theme, is it just in SW, did I just manage to have a strange week? It seems like it isn't so rare, so what is involved? I didn't really think my character would be interested in owning or being a slave, and I was a bit intimidated about asking for details that I suspected I might not have felt comfortable discussing one on one. Is this the most common way for newcomers to get involved with the community and learn the ropes, so to speak, or should I keep looking?

Edited by Karaiblis

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually tried this in Age of Conan when the only good RP guild on a certain server at the time was into it. Let's just say it wasn't for me, I think it reeks of fetishism, and I consider it only slightly less denigrating to RP than ERP (erotic roleplay).

That said, many legitimately great RP'ers are into it and I am more than willing to play along and respect it...from a distance.

To answer your question, yes it is pretty common. Most fantasy worlds have slavery in the canon and as stated above certain roleplayer types are drawn to it like moths to fire. So much so that it can be considered one of RP's sub-genres and Guilds that anounce themselves as such will be found almost eveywhere there is RP.

Edited by avariambush

Let's just say it wasn't for me, I think it reeks of fetishism, and I consider it only slightly less denigrating to RP than ERP (erotic roleplay).

That said, many legitimately great RP'ers are into it and I am more than willing to play along and respect it...from a distance.

I see, well that really wont fit the character I made for it.

I don't mind writing stuff that might barely brush-up against ERP (at least imo, it's barely) as part of a written story for my character, as long as it actually advances the story (LI's and all), but I don't know that I'd be interested in doing it with another just met player, and definitely not if that's the whole function of the encounter/continuing guild-wide encounters.

I have seen your viewpoint from others as well (about the 'fetishism denigrating true RP'), posted on the forums a few times, but without anyone really delving into it. Does the RP community as a whole really look down on that type of thing, and where are the lines not to cross to step on those toes?

Edited by Karaiblis

Different people have different feelings on it. To me it's like a movie that has a hardcore torture scene or a straight up **** scene. If the movie is great and the scene is taking you where the story has to go to be told correctly, then go ahead bring it. I would totally RP a plotline like the one in A Serbian Film if the RP'ers I was with could pull it off, just like it took a great filmaker to pull off that film.

But it is a very difficult line to walk without the whole thing turning into blatant cybersex and that's not what we are here for we are here to be storytellers. IMO guilds that openly advertise themselves as "slave" guilds are clearly in it for the titillation.

Either way I definately would not recommend it it to someone who is just new to RP

The inherent problem with the 'slaver' guilds is this: People will assume that there is something kinky going on, because in our modern society, that's how we think about it.

However, in SWTOR (as in many other fantasy genres as well as our own history), slaves were kept not just for entertainment, but for all the OTHER work that the slave owner didn't want to do themselves, or pay to have done. A good slaver guild (or slave character) should focus on this "labor force" concept, rather than the "dancer in a skimpy outfit" thing. Granted, most would find it boring, but that's the main concept.

One of my characters is a slave: in her public persona she's a slicer, a diplomat for her guild, and an assassin. The kinky stuff is not for public consumption, therefore it is not an element of roleplay - 'fade to black' is heavily used.

My Sith Inquisitor is an ex-slave. The in-game canon paints her as an archaeological laborer for the Sith. Aside from detailing that she was originally an Alderaanian noble's daughter that was kidnapped for a ransom that never was paid, and that she was sold off as a result, is the extent of my additions to the canon. There's little need to go into detail when it comes to anything ERP-related happening to her in that timeframe, as it's not relevant.

I am new to RP. Never really did it until a few of us got sucked into the Formal Apology thread from the Story and Lore forum section, and ended up transfered to the RP section. But it has been really fun, and I decided to go and check out an RP server last week to try some more of it. My character is still in the midteen levels, but I've been approached to join guilds several times. In one week there have been three offers for a 'slave guild' advertised by the person sending me tells as: active, with slave auctions and events every few weeks.

At first I thought it must just be a large guild that was heavily recruiting in newb areas, but I asked for more information, and all three were separate guilds. I may not have RP'ed before, but anyone who games across several MMO's and does CCG gaming events is at least somewhat aware of RP in a peripheral sense, and I've never noticed this theme being used outside of a few individuals, not in such a predominate genre-wide group...umm, free for all.

Is this a common theme, is it just in SW, did I just manage to have a strange week? It seems like it isn't so rare, so what is involved? I didn't really think my character would be interested in owning or being a slave, and I was a bit intimidated about asking for details that I suspected I might not have felt comfortable discussing one on one, but is this the most common way for newcomers to get involved with the community and learn the ropes, so to speak, or should I keep looking?

Dom/Sub play is very common in every MMO. My advice: give it a shot, you'll be pleasantly surprised. ;)

BDSM or slave guilds are nothing new in mmo's. They are probably more open about in this game because the prevalent use of BDSM themes in the Star Wars lore means one can openly RP it and have it 'fit the lore'. The Jedi use "Master" all the time. The Sith are a BDSM guild.

Besides that, the real version of what these people are pretending is 99% play-acting and theatrics, or in other words, roleplaying.

Maybe, but some of it is odd. Some of the things I've seen shouldn't be for public consumption.

What really took RP to a new low today was seeing a guy RP smoking pot. That specific thing I must have missed in the lore. Ok so maybe not a NEW low.. but wow.

Edited by Letallis
structure

Maybe, but some of it is odd. Some of the things I've seen shouldn't be for public consumption.

What really took RP to a new low today was seeing a guy RP smoking pot. That specific thing I must have missed in the lore. Ok so maybe not a NEW low.. but wow.

How is that a low? Because "pot" shouldn't be in Star Wars? How is that any different than there being ale, wine, whiskey etc in the SW universe? Or is it a moral objection? In either case, I don't get it.

Edited by CosmicKat

How is that a low? Because "pot" shouldn't be in Star Wars? How is that any different than there being ale, wine, whiskey etc in the SW universe? Or is it a moral objection? In either case, I don't get it.

Yes, it would have been morally acceptable to say "Spice" though.

As other people stated, slave play, and BDSM RP in MMO's has been prevalent across the board.

There has never been a larger group community of it outside Second Life than in SWG. I think the reason why is because it's actively encouraged by the lore of the Star Wars canon itself. Slavery for sex reasons is clear and open in nearly everything you see in Star Wars.

I was in SWG. The clear majority of large guilds I got to know engaged in full scale ERP BDSM role play. A large amount of those guilds also engaged in such activities together in real life and made it part of their lifestyle. They also put in a lot of effort to meet each other and do those activities together---most notably at conventions. I personally know of several marriages and real life love relationships that were ruined because of the addictive ERP slave/bondage stuff done in SWG.

Sadly, it became so acceptable and prevalent among a majority, that it was also acceptable to force their ERP on others in blatant public ERP displays, guild-centric ERP displays, and/or actively pushing it onto others who were not interested or not experienced in it. In a way, it started to seem like a bit of an unhealthy addiction in the game, and that is the #1 reason why I quit SWG, because I was unhappy with the majority of players who engaged in it or pushed it at me against my personal preferences. It got to be that if you wanted acceptance in your guild and wanted to be part of the "cool guys" scene, you either went along with it, or you got yourself cold shouldered and cut out of any RP because your unwillingness to go to full scale violent and abusive ERP made you no fun to be around.

So, a lot of the slave guilds and play you're seeing here are directly imported from SWG. I remember I actually cried in frustration when they announced that they were shutting down SWG because I wanted it to stay up and those people to STAY THERE and not come ruin this game for people not in their lifestyle by pushing it onto them, or dragging more people into their sexual addictions.

I sincerely hope BioWare strongly enforces against public displays in SWTOR. I totally support people's rights to live their fantasies and lifestyles in private, but most the people I met in SWG just weren't happy unless they could be exhibitionists with their ERP. Many of them are no better than druggies, addicted, and pushing their addiction onto others in public areas instead of just enjoying their lifestyle in private where it belongs.

/gives in to derail

There are plenty of illicit substances to smoke/drink/inject mentioned in the game itself, and they are pointed out in very low level quests available to all classes.

The scenario Letallis mentioned is kind of lore breaking (which is fine, I'm not going to dive into that can of worms), but it's action taken for the sole purpose of being ridiculously lore breaking that's the issue. It's not about someone wanting to RP their character getting high that makes it a new low, it's their use of plain trolling to stir up an OOC response.

Although, there's not any 'new' low left for trolling, in my opinion. That well has already been dredged to the center of the planet, and it's best just ignored.

/rerail

In response to the poster above me...meh, I don't care if they do it, that wasn't the point of my OP. I just didn't realize it was so prevelent, and I kind of thought I might have misunderstood the situation, and interpreted the focus of those guilds wrongly. I wanted some information so I could avoid ending up in a situation, due to ignorance, that could be personally awkward for me.

Edited by Karaiblis

The inherent problem with the 'slaver' guilds is this: People will assume that there is something kinky going on, because in our modern society, that's how we think about it.

However, in SWTOR (as in many other fantasy genres as well as our own history), slaves were kept not just for entertainment, but for all the OTHER work that the slave owner didn't want to do themselves, or pay to have done. A good slaver guild (or slave character) should focus on this "labor force" concept, rather than the "dancer in a skimpy outfit" thing. Granted, most would find it boring, but that's the main concept.

One of my characters is a slave: in her public persona she's a slicer, a diplomat for her guild, and an assassin. The kinky stuff is not for public consumption, therefore it is not an element of roleplay - 'fade to black' is heavily used.

My Sith Inquisitor is an ex-slave. The in-game canon paints her as an archaeological laborer for the Sith. Aside from detailing that she was originally an Alderaanian noble's daughter that was kidnapped for a ransom that never was paid, and that she was sold off as a result, is the extent of my additions to the canon. There's little need to go into detail when it comes to anything ERP-related happening to her in that timeframe, as it's not relevant.

The problem rarely occurs when an individual player or a couple within the heard want to roleplay the slavery that is a legit part of the fantasy setting. That is usually great RP going on. Even an edgy guild that implements it as an element among others they partake in IC. I have Rp'ed former slaves. I have Rp'ed slavers.

But when you have people advertsing themselves in general chat as a "slave guild" I reccommend you raise both red flags, light the warning pyres and sound the alarm, cuz the sickos are most definately in town.

Edited by avariambush

Only one was advertising in general chat, and it was for an auction-event that was about to be held, rather than just recruitment spam. One was a random tell from a person I never interacted with /autoignore. The last was from someone I grouped with through Black Talon, who suggested that it would be a good way to learn the ropes of the RP community, after he asked if I was looking for an RP guild and I mentioned that I had never done RP before. That was when I started wondering if I misunderstood things, and decided to search out more information. Turns out that ya, that type of situation really isn't what I'm looking for.

Apropos of nothing:

cuz the sickos are most definitely in town.

Hahaha! (That was seriously harsh, tho :p). Your words have ranged from "I'd do it, in the right circumstances", then through several steps in-between, and down to "these people are sickos". It really mirrors the 'variable conflicting-statements' oddness that I've seen many RP'ers display when similar topics have been brought up on this forum, or even in game so far.

Edited by Karaiblis

But when you have people advertsing themselves in general chat as a "slave guild" I reccommend you raise both red flags, light the warning pyres and sound the alarm, cuz the sickos are most definately in town.

That's a great way to put it! And exactly how I feel about it actually. It's never bugged me that people do it, or even how prevalent it is, only that they feel a need to do the door-knocking Jehova's Witness thing and bring attention to themselves about it. These aren't RPers they're just attention-seekers using shock value.

For veteran mmo players nowadays, the shock just isn't there anymore, it's not a novelty, folks, it's a fad. :rolleyes:

As other people stated, slave play, and BDSM RP in MMO's has been prevalent across the board.

There has never been a larger group community of it outside Second Life than in SWG. I think the reason why is because it's actively encouraged by the lore of the Star Wars canon itself. Slavery for sex reasons is clear and open in nearly everything you see in Star Wars.

I was in SWG. The clear majority of large guilds I got to know engaged in full scale ERP BDSM role play. A large amount of those guilds also engaged in such activities together in real life and made it part of their lifestyle. They also put in a lot of effort to meet each other and do those activities together---most notably at conventions. I personally know of several marriages and real life love relationships that were ruined because of the addictive ERP slave/bondage stuff done in SWG.

Sadly, it became so acceptable and prevalent among a majority, that it was also acceptable to force their ERP on others in blatant public ERP displays, guild-centric ERP displays, and/or actively pushing it onto others who were not interested or not experienced in it. In a way, it started to seem like a bit of an unhealthy addiction in the game, and that is the #1 reason why I quit SWG, because I was unhappy with the majority of players who engaged in it or pushed it at me against my personal preferences. It got to be that if you wanted acceptance in your guild and wanted to be part of the "cool guys" scene, you either went along with it, or you got yourself cold shouldered and cut out of any RP because your unwillingness to go to full scale violent and abusive ERP made you no fun to be around.

So, a lot of the slave guilds and play you're seeing here are directly imported from SWG. I remember I actually cried in frustration when they announced that they were shutting down SWG because I wanted it to stay up and those people to STAY THERE and not come ruin this game for people not in their lifestyle by pushing it onto them, or dragging more people into their sexual addictions.

I sincerely hope BioWare strongly enforces against public displays in SWTOR. I totally support people's rights to live their fantasies and lifestyles in private, but most the people I met in SWG just weren't happy unless they could be exhibitionists with their ERP. Many of them are no better than druggies, addicted, and pushing their addiction onto others in public areas instead of just enjoying their lifestyle in private where it belongs.

I appreciate your commitment to keeping ERP private, but I do resent being associated with "druggies." I also challenge the whole notion of "sex addiction"; it makes little sense to classify sex as addictive when the foundation of our molecular structure is built on sexual reproduction. Yeah, evolution says: "DO EET! EET FEELS GOOD!"

I think you were treated reprehensibly, myself. I'm quite sorry you done that way.

Mmm... well I for one think pot should be legal in real life, and think the decades long war on it has not only been a catastrophic failure and a waste of resources, but also a testament to the lengths a government will go to convince people the opposite of what is true.

As for Star Wars, I don't really think it's out of the reach of imagination.

Edited by TheGreatNeechi

Yes, it would have been morally acceptable to say "Spice" though.

Yes, spice would have been fine. Talking about a doobie, or a blunt or a roach.. not in lore. Especially the way the player was rp'ing. Besides why rp getting high if you can do that IRL. I came here to be a bounty hunter, I can be a stoner if I so choose outside of game.

My apologies to the OP for getting off topic. On that note sitting in the cantina and some "female slave" talking about touching her master's might saber...that's probably a dude IRL for one. Secondly if you're high enough level take that to your ship. Other games are overrun with that sort of thing. They almost all turn a blind eye to it. The question is where does it stop? "Hey baby.. that's a mighty pretty Tauntaun you got there." Things get odd fast in the world of the anonymous internet. Let's at least try to keep things within reason.

Only one was advertising in general chat, and it was for an auction-event that was about to be held, rather than just recruitment spam. One was a random tell from a person I never interacted with /autoignore. The last was from someone I grouped with through Black Talon, who suggested that it would be a good way to learn the ropes of the RP community, after he asked if I was looking for an RP guild and I mentioned that I had never done RP before. That was when I started wondering if I misunderstood things, and decided to search out more information.

Apropos of nothing:

Hahaha! (That was seriously harsh, tho :p). Your words have ranged from "I'd do it, in the right circumstances", then through several steps in-between, and down to "these people are sickos". It really mirrors the 'variable conflicting-statements' oddness that I've seen many RP'ers display when similar topics have been brought up on this forum, or even in game so far.

nah Ive said the same thing in different ways. There is a place for slave rp, erp, and all of the above within RP. But some people out there are in it just to perform cybersex.

You say you are new to RP and wanted a reccomendation on how to deal with these types, I answered with what I believe are the things you should stay clear of until you know more about RP and are sure that's what you want.

And if I;m harsh it's for a reason, cuz one of these days these dingbats are gonna get us all in trouble. They are gonna be found messing with a minor and that's how the world is going to find about online Roleplay.

Edited by avariambush

And if I;m harsh it's for a reason, cuz one of these days these dingbats are gonna get us all in trouble. They are gonna be found messing with a minor and that's how the world is going to find about online Roleplay.

I didn't mean it to be criticism of your response, which helped me quite a bit (sorry if it came out that way, I tried to make a smileyface clue). It was more a tongue in cheek commentary on the awkwardness of the topic that leads to such varying degrees of responses from the same person, depending on the circumstance, or more honestly in my cynical opinion, depending on who might be able to view and judge a presently stated opinion.

But as for the perception of the world concerning internet RP interactions (or any online interaction, the line is often very blurred in people's minds for that venue) being male perverts chasing minors/unknown manginas/fetishism weirdness... I think that ship has already sailed. That's been a wide spread stereotype for many years, and even with all the media attention trying to sensationalize it, the concept has becomes less and less prevalent as more/majority of the people regularly use internet mediums, and it loses it's "that weird thing we don't understand and so accept any bizarre rumors about" mystique. Incidents now are more often viewed as the titillating exceptions-to-the-rule sensationalism, being reported for personal entertainment, rather than the dark scary everyday world of online interaction.

Edited by Karaiblis

Yes, spice would have been fine. Talking about a doobie, or a blunt or a roach.. not in lore. Especially the way the player was rp'ing. Besides why rp getting high if you can do that IRL. I came here to be a bounty hunter, I can be a stoner if I so choose outside of game.

My apologies to the OP for getting off topic. On that note sitting in the cantina and some "female slave" talking about touching her master's might saber...that's probably a dude IRL for one. Secondly if you're high enough level take that to your ship. Other games are overrun with that sort of thing. They almost all turn a blind eye to it. The question is where does it stop? "Hey baby.. that's a mighty pretty Tauntaun you got there." Things get odd fast in the world of the anonymous internet. Let's at least try to keep things within reason.

And what if it is a guy behind the keyboard? What does that matter?

I'm not going to defend public ERP, but a little ignore goes a long way.

And speaking of Tauntauns, I suppose its no less awkward than slicing one open and stuffing your comrade in it, only to comment on the smell...

...mmm smelly Tauntaun sex...

Only one was advertising in general chat, and it was for an auction-event that was about to be held, rather than just recruitment spam. One was a random tell from a person I never interacted with /autoignore. The last was from someone I grouped with through Black Talon, who suggested that it would be a good way to learn the ropes of the RP community, after he asked if I was looking for an RP guild and I mentioned that I had never done RP before. That was when I started wondering if I misunderstood things, and decided to search out more information. Turns out that ya, that type of situation really isn't what I'm looking for.

This is not the first time I have heard someone was told that master/apprentice or master/slave RP was a good way to "learn the ropes." I have to disagree. RP that is based on an unequal power dynamic is something that confident roleplayers should engage in -- not complete beginners.

The party playing the subordinate character is the one who should truly be in control of the scene, establishing limits and setting the pace and that task is not suited to players with little RP experience.

We don't want to compound an IC power differential by adding an OOC one on top of it -- my character tells your character what to do because I'm the master and I tell you what to do because I'm the more experienced player.

The system is subject to abuse by unscrupulous players.

Edited by Darth_Slaine

Why no outrage about the thousands of guilds built around the concept of pretending to kill people?

Is imaginary ultra-violence morally good and imaginary sex morally bad?

That sounds really cute as a one liner but it's far from the truth and you know it.

The answer is dissociation.

There is no real connection to the violence in a video game. Even when your roleplaying violence there is no actual violence going on. Erotic roleplay can, if done with that intention, pass a line where it becomes an actual sexual act between the players.

As a matter of fact, there have been instances where roleplayers have crossed the line and enacted actual acts of violence and it has gotten plenty outrage.

Edited by avariambush

That sounds really cute as a one liner but it's far from the truth and you know it.

The answer is dissociation.

There is no real connection to the violence in a video game. Even when your roleplaying violence there is no actual violence going on. Erotic roleplay can, if done with that intention, pass a line where it becomes an actual sexual act between the players.

As a matter of fact, there have been instances where roleplayers have crossed the line and enacted actual acts of violence and it has gotten plenty outrage.

You just explained why I have absolutely no problem with people who enjoy roleplaying violence, because there is no actual violence going on.

Actually, you could substitute "sex" for "violence" in that sentence to explain why I have absolutely no problem with people who enjoy roleplaying that either.