RolePlaying Character Peeves

Codedrago

Massive blaster fights in the fleet cantina with no regard of a basic demographic - the literal army of npc soldiers onboard would cane all of your asses in an instant by pure attrition and send you packing to the brig (or possibly executed in the empire)

Everyones a bloody high council member....

...most of them are under lvl 50

Epic roleplaying effortless wins constantly that on not even a close examination the 'tactics' used against the imaginary enemy fortification would have famously failed....but the RP'er/GM waves a magic success wand with no regards that the enemy do know their job.

"It's comfortable" excuse for being virtually naked in public areas. (with usually an obvious male playing female rp attached)

....and...this list could go forever, but meh...stop there

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Massive blaster fights in the fleet cantina with no regard of a basic demographic - the literal army of npc soldiers onboard would cane all of your asses in an instant by pure attrition and send you packing to the brig (or possibly executed in the empire)

Everyones a bloody high council member....

...most of them are under lvl 50

Epic roleplaying effortless wins constantly that on not even a close examination the 'tactics' used against the imaginary enemy fortification would have famously failed....but the RP'er/GM waves a magic success wand with no regards that the enemy do know their job.

"It's comfortable" excuse for being virtually naked in public areas. (with usually an obvious male playing female rp attached)

....and...this list could go forever, but meh...stop there

Continue, I love listening to this stuff :D

The skimpier the clothing, the more likely the player is a guy.

You'd be surprised. One person in my guild is a happily married woman.And some of her toons run around in the dancer outfit. And the list is pretty random, too. Her Trooper, Sentinel, and a third whose class I cannot remember.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I haven't posted in forever, here's a toe to the water,

'Lock-and-key' Characters:

There's nothing more tiring that a character stepping in with a problem, so that they can be the only solution. It's frustrating, because it destroys the entire purpose of roleplay - you're doing it, but the rest of the people become redundant the moment you even vaguely suggest 'I'm the only one with the solution to the problem I've presented'. Don't do it, or just don't get people involved, or just don't do it. An example - During my casual rounds on the fleet Station, my trooper (a Sergeant that is often assigned station security while the ship is docked and the captain is feeling too much like a Stoopa to give shore leave) was flagged down to handle what was apparently a bomb-threat in the Cantina. Upon approaching, I quickly overhear the individual in question loudly stating that he actually has a bomb implanted inside of him. That's fine. What was not fine, was when he then loudly stated that nobody could help him and that he only needed to stab himself with something to save everyone on the station, like that would make him a hero or something.

My trooper had him promptly shipped off the station to one of the nearby fleet ships to be dealt with by an awaiting ordnance team.

Let me make this abundantly clear - whether or not you have the solution, you being involved with bombs does not garner positive attention for the reasons that were listed previously in this thread, Knowing your stuff. Having a 'solution' for a station-stretching risk, or even so much as being in the immediate vicinity of said risk is grounds for detainment and questioning. Such matters are not taken lightly, and thinking that presenting a problem so that only you can solve it will yield a heroic reputation is no different from lighting a kitten on fire so that people can see you extinguishing it.

If it's discussed beforehand? Sure. You've got a collaborative effort between all the people involved. Going in solo however is bad, and I strongly discourage it.

Edited by Mourkoth

Force-Benders:

As I call them... Technically a character that's an initiate/acoltye or perhaps a padawan/apprentice and knows one of the most advanced force techniques in the universe or is a battlemaster of all saber techniques. I put the seventeen year old Jedi Masters in the same box, as I have trully encountered them IC. I am not sure if it's caused by the lack of knowladge about specific skills, or simply by the intentional power-grabbing, but I trully, trully hate it.

One example? A recent sparr tournament between a couple guilds sith guilds. One between apprentices only, characters that are mostly still learning and far away from their lord rank. One of my first opponents uses a Force Storm, ok... Not -that- bad, but still advanced and dificult. I decided to let it slip and carried on, but when he attempted to use the Dark Side Tendrils, I clearly told them OOC it's a skill needing a mastery of sith sorcery and there is no way he could use it without harm to himself. I was told I break the flow of RP and that we should continue... I defeated him either way, but that was just stupid exploitation of bits of lore without paying attention to details.

Another example was an Accolyte I was recruiting on Korriban. I understand no one wants to be the weak guy, but... She was a master of Niman, which requires a full mastery of the first five forms that come before it. She also used a lot of force techniques with it, like Force Blasts or Summon Darkness. Did I mention she was just past her 18th birthday? Not yet? My bad...

• 2 weeks later...
Since I haven't posted in forever, here's a toe to the water,

'Lock-and-key' Characters:

There's nothing more tiring that a character stepping in with a problem, so that they can be the only solution. It's frustrating, because it destroys the entire purpose of roleplay - you're doing it, but the rest of the people become redundant the moment you even vaguely suggest 'I'm the only one with the solution to the problem I've presented'.

This is just another type of god moding.

This is just another type of god moding.

It gets better.

Fish out of Water:

It's understandable that some people want to be tough, and that sometimes, the only way to be tough is to beat the snot out of other people and fight with things that might be a danger to others....

...so why, why, why get upset when Security gets the boost expected while on the space station at the center of the Republic/Imperial fleet operations? At what point did you think that they wouldn't have the needed manpower to deal with you if you didn't want to start something with them?

Just the other night, I had someone claiming that they could take on an the entire security presence onboard the Republic (Fleet) Space Station, and I had to hit the pause button on that immediately to point out that it was a fight that he simply couldn't win no matter how good he was. Once others started pitching in saying that he was godmodding by saying that he could fight the entire station, he then became upset and said I was the one godmodding by stating that station security would want him to stop fighting in a public area with explosives. Suffice to say, nobody seemed to feel guilty that he was promptly removed from roleplay after this.

Force-Benders:

As I call them... Technically a character that's an initiate/acoltye or perhaps a padawan/apprentice and knows one of the most advanced force techniques in the universe or is a battlemaster of all saber techniques. I put the seventeen year old Jedi Masters in the same box, as I have trully encountered them IC. I am not sure if it's caused by the lack of knowladge about specific skills, or simply by the intentional power-grabbing, but I trully, trully hate it.

One example? A recent sparr tournament between a couple guilds sith guilds. One between apprentices only, characters that are mostly still learning and far away from their lord rank. One of my first opponents uses a Force Storm, ok... Not -that- bad, but still advanced and dificult. I decided to let it slip and carried on, but when he attempted to use the Dark Side Tendrils, I clearly told them OOC it's a skill needing a mastery of sith sorcery and there is no way he could use it without harm to himself. I was told I break the flow of RP and that we should continue... I defeated him either way, but that was just stupid exploitation of bits of lore without paying attention to details.

Another example was an Accolyte I was recruiting on Korriban. I understand no one wants to be the weak guy, but... She was a master of Niman, which requires a full mastery of the first five forms that come before it. She also used a lot of force techniques with it, like Force Blasts or Summon Darkness. Did I mention she was just past her 18th birthday? Not yet? My bad...

actually not nesscarily true re Niman. it's considered a good comprimise form that isn't as involved as other forms, so is actually the easiest to master. course I doubt said Acoyolte choose it cause of that. a lotta people see it as the "force power booster" saberform. due to KOTOR 2 mechanics :)

It gets better. Fish out of Water:

[...]

Just the other night, I had someone claiming that they could take on an the entire security presence onboard the Republic (Fleet) Space Station, and I had to hit the pause button on that immediately to point out that it was a fight that he simply couldn't win no matter how good he was. Once others started pitching in saying that he was godmodding by saying that he could fight the entire station, he then became upset and said I was the one godmodding by stating that station security would want him to stop fighting in a public area with explosives. Suffice to say, nobody seemed to feel guilty that he was promptly removed from roleplay after this.

This is so common on Vaiken on BC (I say BC only because that's where I play, but I assume it happens on every server). I usually sit and play dejarik and make snide comments because if I can read it, my character can perceive it (if the participants want to "RP" their lunacy in their own little head canon world, they can do it in group chat).

• 1 month later...
I hate it when someone RP's like they're lonely...because they want to ERP. Not kidding, this is head explodingly annoying.

I really don't get the meaning behind that. To put it into real-life terms: Do you mean pitty-s*x? Because I have no idea what you mean.

Two examples from me:

The Dark Lord of the stairway:

I think most of you guys know the stairway leading up from the valley of the Dark Lords to the Korriban academy, right? Most people know that it has become somewhat of a social-hub for Sith roleplayers on multiple servers. I don't mind that. I think all kinds of roleplay are great, casual roleplay is no exception. What I really hate about that RP is the people who claim to be Lords and Darth but who are as subtle about treachery as one can be. Only recently I heard two people talking about what Sith Lord to dispose of next. Guys: Treachery is part of the Sith way. But doing it in broad daylight with everyone listening in might not be such a good idea. There are usually no indications that those people are in any way mumbling, whispering to each other or doing anything of the sort. They are just speaking about killing superiors in broad daylight. Such things need to be done in secrecy and with cunning, not in a place where every Acolyte could simply record it and play it to the Sith Lord in question to gain his support.

The overeager apprentice:

Some of us might know that kind of guy. I really enjoy writing events and running them. I usually find myself in somewhat of a GM position when it comes to Sith roleplay events. The NPC players are in an ops-group and wait for my coordination to play the hostile acolytes, try to get into position and overall give the PC characters a good time. This doesn't just happen. It takes a lot of effort from both sides, me included. So you're sitting in Ventrilo/TeamSpeak or in Skype and try to coordinate the next step of the event with your NPCs while the players are supposed to rest in a cave. You told them that going out was too dangerous and the Lords discuss the plan. Suddenly one of the apprentices decides to run off. "There was this incredibly powerful artifact I just wrote into the story!" or "I lost my warblade a few meters ago, despite having it when entering the cave.". And suddenly they run off into the cold and you have to bend the event. NPC characters aren't ready yet, they need to hide to avoid spoiling the ambush location. Lords follow to get the apprentice back, there's overall panic in Skype because we need to coordinate in a haste and tell the people to not engage.

Guys: There is certain room for surprises during events. But if the GameMaster tells you to rest for fifteen minutes, then it is usually for the purpose of speaking/writing with the NPC's to initiate the next step of the event. Don't run off and make things unnecessary complicated.

• 2 weeks later...

One person, both ways:

This requires special mention, seeing as how a friend was involved - don't cross the line. I say this not so much in the sense of 'don't mess with my friends' (your tires paid for that aleady O:< ) so much as I say this in the sense of 'don't make things personal'. My friend, a fledgling Mandalorian with only the experience of trial and error with others, had been burning idle time in the Cantina of Carrack station, when she was greeted by a Mandalorian in bright blue armor. The trouble started when she ousted the Mandalorian as an impersonator of Mandalorian tradition due to his habit of speaking the language in public (a big no-no for the Mandalorians, I've been told). Her character expressed offense to this, and started pointing out various other flaws. After the roleplay was complete, she then contacted the roleplayer through private messages to apologize for any perceived scrutiny, and a wish to help him better understand some of the culture and habits of Mandalorians, only to be told that if he ever met her in real life, he'd kill her, before blocking her entirely.

Look, I get it, our characters can sometimes be a personification of what we believe. It's a piece of us that we throw out there all the time for entertainment, not harassment...

....but that doesn't mean you cross the line and take roleplay personally. Seriously, just don't.

Edited by Mourkoth

I hate it when someone RP's like they're lonely...because they want to ERP. Not kidding, this is head explodingly annoying.

Good gods, Imperial Ebon Hawk is full of "/bored, /mope, /emo" attention seekers, especially when it comes to the rp/erp circles. Pity sex doesn't even work IRL, I don't know why they think it will in a video game, where it's even more annoying since people are trying to get iaway from the petty and juvenile psychological games people play IRL.

*snip*

Just for clarification, your friend was RP'ing a Mandalorian on the Republic fleet station?

But on a more serious note, that's... terrifying. I hope she reported him OOC to Bioware for that threat.

Edited by Diviciacus

Good gods, Imperial Ebon Hawk is full of "/bored, /mope, /emo" attention seekers, especially when it comes to the rp/erp circles. Pity sex doesn't even work IRL, I don't know why they think it will in a video game, where it's even more annoying since people are trying to get iaway from the petty and juvenile psychological games people play IRL.

Just for clarification, your friend was RP'ing a Mandalorian on the Republic fleet station?

But on a more serious note, that's... terrifying. I hope she reported him OOC to Bioware for that threat.

I helped her create the character, so I know a little bit of the history,

Her clan was essentially told to do something, and when it had been done, the Empire decided that the entire clan was just one big loose end. What with how Mandalorians like to brag about their victories, and how Imperial officers think that glory-hogging is a smart idea, the Imperial Officer that had employed them figured that lighting the clan on fire would be a sound solution. Sadly, despite their best efforts to light the entirety of the clan on fire, a few managed to escape alive.

So now, the clan has been sticking to Republic space for some time, generations in fact. Most of their time's been spent building strength, stabbing Imperial knee-caps whenever they can (even if the officer that made the decision before is now technically -dead-). Her character struggles with the idea that she's technically an exile, since her clan doesn't follow the current Mandalore, a 'puppet' being used to exploit Mandalorian traditions for the benefit of the Empire.

Plus them Imperial Mandalorians, they're like, really lax, yo.

Edited by Mourkoth

Anyone who thinks the pettiness and game-playing does not increase ten-fold online is ripe for buying the bridge I have for sale. It's right next to the Brooklyn Bridge.