New Player Feedback

NormieGuy

Hi all,

Not sure of the purpose of this forum so I thought I'd just use it to vent a little. I really loved KOTOR and KOTOR II sense of story-telling and world building and thought I'd risk giving Star Wars The Old Republic a chance and just Wow ... The effort I've put into trying to get this game to run is ... purely stupid.

You can't get this from the Steam store (fair play, WoW doesn't do that either) or the Origin Store (you purchase it from there, they give you a code and tell you to download it from the website :D Not even joking) So okay, I download it from the website. Installer won't load ... Check online to see other people have done to resolve the issue. Apparently there is a repair utility program (now whenever I want to open SW:TOR I have to use the repair utility program).

4 hours later, game is in a state when I can play it. Joy, click that play button: Stuck on loading screen. After some more internet research, turns out you have to delete some file, delete it and I can finally get to the servers ... Except the game isn't picking up any servers ... And that is where I'm at currently.

The point that I'm trying to make is this: This is very weird that I have to jump through so many hoops to get this working. It is very weird that this isn't downloadable on the actual origin store. This gives me the impression this isn't game that is properly supported by the developers and is something that's on the way out. Am I right in assuming this or?

Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

NormieGuy.

• 4 weeks later...

The game does have some quirky bugs and the launcher can cause issues for people so that sucks you're having those issues. The game is supported but it does have tons of resources and they are stretched a bit thin and things like this sometimes fall through the cracks. But the majority of players don't have issues with the install.

For me, I installed on my desktop about a month or so ago and I had no problems, my husband did the same. We both got it setup, launched the launcher and it started downloading and playing no problems (im on a desktop, he was on a laptop).

This week I decided to try and install it on my laptop and I ran into issue after issue and had to uninstall and reinstall it multiple times. It is finally working now after about 2 days of trying. I would recommend uninstalling the game (assuming it's not working right now) completely, and then follow the steps to remove the bitraider launcher and have it download from EA's servers directly (this requires you editing 1 file and deleting a few others after first launching the launcher, patching it, and accepting the EULA). Then it *should* work to download the game and launch with no issues.

I hope that helps! It is a fun game especially if you like the story part of it.