HM EC now obsolete.

So, you can now chuck an augment on any piece of gear and black hole comms are easier to get. So you could now just get a full Tionese set for the set bonus, augment it all, get mods from blackhole gear and have full augmented gear with set bonus and full 61 mods without ever setting foot in HM EC? Well done BioWare.... I mean I guess there is still the hilt... YAY! intensive!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been gone over time and time again - infact theres a rather long thread in here about this.

Essentially yes, you can mostly get the top tier gear now without entering HM EC. You do of course miss out on the main-hand weapon, so you're not completely BIS, and other un-moddable things may not be BiS either (for example campaign PT tank offhand is way better than the BH version). I think BiS bracers/belt are also the moddable ones, but you'd need to put in a L61 non-slot-bound-armoring dropped in HM EC. You also miss out on the chance to create whatever look you like (through transfering set bonuses from campaign to other gear).

A bigger thing though, is that without doing EC HM you don't get any experience of the hardest raid in the game - so good luck progressing on to the next tier of gear when it comes out without that experience :)

So yes, you can get near to top-end PvE gear without doing EC HM, but you won't get quite to BiS everywhere. Also, you'll be slower to gear than those doing EC HM, as you won't get the BH comm drops from it ^^

Yay, you're forgetting the point of gear in the first place.

People will still run HM EC because it is the top tier for pve content atm. If people don't want to do it, there is no point in them gearing up and obtaining all this bh gear.

Also, if hardcore raiders do everything they can every week to get as many bh coms, it would still take over a month to get a full set. And that includes running HM EC.

Yay, you're forgetting the point of gear in the first place.

People will still run HM EC because it is the top tier for pve content atm. If people don't want to do it, there is no point in them gearing up and obtaining all this bh gear.

Also, if hardcore raiders do everything they can every week to get as many bh coms, it would still take over a month to get a full set. And that includes running HM EC.

The point of gear is so you have the stats to do the next content released. But if getting the gear to do that content doesn't include doing the current hardest content... Well then... That's just f***ing stupid.

Being a hardcore raider I had full 61 mods in everything, I was just still running HM EC to win a couple more rolls so I can have full augmented gear... Now I have it and have no need to running anything. I am now have 100% best gear I could possibly get a couple weeks short of when I should have had it. On top of that other people will be able to get there without having to put the effort in.

Same thing MMOs have been doing forever, just making gear easier to get long before it should be.

You should amend your post title to include "for me", otherwise you're only speaking for people like yourself who have already obtained full campaign gear sets. Which given the amount of guilds across all of the servers who have beaten HM Denova, is a minority of the populace.

Also, not sure if this has occurred to you, but just because they are making it easier to obtain black hole gear, it doesn't mean that everyone's going to be clearing HM Denova overnight, still too much coordination and aptitude required for players to be able to coast through it.

So, you can now chuck an augment on any piece of gear and black hole comms are easier to get. So you could now just get a full Tionese set for the set bonus, augment it all, get mods from blackhole gear and have full augmented gear with set bonus and full 61 mods without ever setting foot in HM EC? Well done BioWare.... I mean I guess there is still the hilt... YAY! intensive!

When you go see a movie, do you complain after it ends that you received no reward for watching it?

You should amend your post title to include "for me", otherwise you're only speaking for people like yourself who have already obtained full campaign gear sets. Which given the amount of guilds across all of the servers who have beaten HM Denova, is a minority of the populace.

Also, not sure if this has occurred to you, but just because they are making it easier to obtain black hole gear, it doesn't mean that everyone's going to be clearing HM Denova overnight, still too much coordination and aptitude required for players to be able to coast through it.

But it's not just "for me". Every single player in the game can get fully decked without stepping foot in the joint.

A recent interview I saw said they were trying to increase difficulty more through coordination checks than gear checks. That they'll be able to get BH gear easily doesn't bother me much.

That they'll have deceptively good gear and then fail massively at story mode operations because they aren't well practiced at coordination checks will bother me quite a bit I imagine.

But it's not just "for me". Every single player in the game can get fully decked without stepping foot in the joint.

Mainhand/Offhand too? And what about the set bonuses that come with the campaign armor only? Statistically the Black Hole gear is identical to Campaign, but you still aren't getting exactly the same gear.

Mainhand/Offhand too? And what about the set bonuses that come with the campaign armor only? Statistically the Black Hole gear is identical to Campaign, but you still aren't getting exactly the same gear.

Mainhands are the big undisputed reason. Offhands aren't simply because they vary class by class. For example the Black Hole Med Tech mainhand is better for DPS commandos than the Campaign Eliminator's offhand.

Similarly the set bonuses on armorings is a double edged sword. For me, I prefer the superior DPS armorings from various pieces of Black Hole gear in Rakata shells over putting the armorings from Campaign which are, in my case, 3/5 Endurance heavy tank armorings. The only piece of gear I can't get a 68 aim DPS armoring from BH is in the body slot, but campaign eliminator's body doesn't have that armoring either so my rakata armoring is better. The only Trooper body piece with a 68 aim armoring is the Combat Tech body and I'm not sure, but I think Campaign set bonuses trump shell set bonuses so my Rakata body armoring will always be better till I can unslotted armoring to put in it's place (which hey I DO need to do HM EC for).

Now that was all pretty DPS commando specific, but point is that it will vary from person to person.

This more or less just exposes problems in the campaign itemization though. In my opinion it should have been better than Black Hole, but there you are. In the meantime I'll continue doing HM EC just because my guild hasn't beaten it yet and I like the challenge.

To the OP. Generally speaking... Yes you can get all BH sets...

...But you will not be close to top performance because most classes require a mix of BH & Campaign Armorings to reach optimum performance (ENH & MODS you can safely ignore... BH is the source for them)...

...Implants, Ear & Offhands are also randomly distributed in both sets (And by randomly I really mean it... Some BH are better than Campaign... But for other classes can be perfectly the opposite). Not to mention that the ONLY way to get MK2+ versions (Which are BiS for some classes) is to wait, patiently, for a direct drop from HM Bosses (And last Boss on SM).

If you really want to get mad at the remaining design flaws on the loot paradigm BW uses, think on the following:

- Why after 1.3 the BiS PvE Relic for most classes require you to PvP?

- Why some classes can be fully geared without having to fully clear EC HM (This one is particularly funny tbh... They created armorings per slot but... They forgot to create hilts/barrels per slot, allowing offhand -> mainhand conversions in some roles for Jedi Knights, Smugglers, Bounty Hunters & Sith Warriors)?

Edited by ragamer

...and so the top end chase goes on and on.

Just do what you want to do, enjoy what you are doing and keep moving forward and not worry about such things.

Then you'll get the most of it all.

If you enjoyed doing it then it was all worth it.

The black hole gear is inferior to the campaign gear...

YES!!! I've been waiting for this smack in the face to all hardcore raiders since day 1!! All this stupid gear exclusivity is now thrown out of the window. I like it. I am very happy. Now I can actually have the best custom gear and not endure the pain of HM EC.

YES!!!

I am kinda puzzled why they move passed even Rakata in this. I would think it would be okey if the dailies made you ready for the last raid but now it basically makes you ready for the future one and therefor in a sense bypass the end game content.

Also, yes you do not get set bonus, but tionese or columi gear will get you that.

Some itemization is also bad so you will need to get some extra pices and break them down and throw away that extra pretty armoring mod.

But I am no longer suprised by anything they do and this is more in the range of subjective oppinions so... meeh. They are just killing this game off one stupid idea at a time and this is just a tiny step as I see it.

Edited by Dhariq

YES!!! I've been waiting for this smack in the face to all hardcore raiders since day 1!! All this stupid gear exclusivity is now thrown out of the window. I like it. I am very happy. Now I can actually have the best custom gear and not endure the pain of HM EC.

YES!!!

You still have to do the end game content to get the daily BH tokens from the LFG queue... and HM EC isn't even that hard. Quit whining and L2P.

Edited by Raansu

I see a few people do not get what the OP is talking about so i will explain it slowly.

Step 1: Get Tionesse/Columni/Rakata gear.

Step 2: Buy Black hole gear.

Step 3: For pieces with Mod'able slots, strip out all the BH item lvl 61 armor/mod/enhancements. Put these in your T/C/R gear. Yes, YOU CAN EVEN REPLACE THE ARMORINGS. Since the set-bonus on this lower gear is tied to the SHELL, you keep the set bonus even if you put in the 61 armor.

Step 4: Augment

You will still be left with some non-BIS pieces.

I'm guessing they give black hole tokens to try to get people like me to do the flashpoints.

My op group is pretty much full rakata and working on HM EC, as it rewards BH comms we are likely to do FPS, if it was just rakata I doubt we would.

Every mod you can get in campaign gear you can get in black hole gear.

I just checked this claim myself. It is completely inaccurate. For my class (DPS Powertech), I found at least 3 enhancements and 2 mods that were unique to the Campaign set. And this says nothing of the pieces that you can only get as campaign. Can you wiggle them around to get the same numbers? Perhaps, but the fact remains that you do have more flexibility if you can get both BH and campaign.

I just checked this claim myself. It is completely inaccurate. For my class (DPS Powertech), I found at least 3 enhancements and 2 mods that were unique to the Campaign set. And this says nothing of the pieces that you can only get as campaign. Can you wiggle them around to get the same numbers? Perhaps, but the fact remains that you do have more flexibility if you can get both BH and campaign.

The enhancements you could get from another classes gear, as for the mods, please let me know what mods they are in campaign that you can't get in black hole. Your post seems completely inaccurate.