Amplifier Re-rolls are Absurdly Expensive

teclado

Finally got 306 with mods, decided to try out the amplifiers. After 5 rolls of not getting what I want and realizing that I just spent over 100k for nothing...I'm not touching these anymore.

I am not touching amplifiers again until the cost is cut by about 10x. This is absurd.

Why must everything in this patch be so insanely expensive????? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

P.S. I know everybody knows this, but this is the sort of thing that has to be spammed in giant letters until BW gets the message. If you don't like my post, feel free to send me about 100m credits so that I can get amps and I'll happily shut myself up. Cheers.

Edited by teclado

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=971434

Is it perfect? No. But it's the best you're gonna get for now. I just don't see them changing this. And FWIW he presents the best way to adapt.

Dasty

I can't tell if you're joking or not. As it stands now it's not even reasonable. The cost to re roll in the gamble wheel for the amps should have fixed prices not insane inflation every time you fail a roll.

You want an example of RNG wheel for game stats? Look at Star Trek Online. They allow you to roll again and again at a fixed price. SWTOR doesn't even need this ridiculous price increase system they have enough ridiculous perk stats in their amps to make players have to re roll insane amounts of times in order to get the one they want. This is just a big "**** YOU" to players already grinding their stupid gamble gear system and pointless resource & time sink that is more punishing than rewarding.

I can't tell if you're joking or not. As it stands now it's not even reasonable. The cost to re roll in the gamble wheel for the amps should have fixed prices not insane inflation every time you fail a roll.

You want an example of RNG wheel for game stats? Look at Star Trek Online. They allow you to roll again and again at a fixed price. SWTOR doesn't even need this ridiculous price increase system they have enough ridiculous perk stats in their amps to make players have to re roll insane amounts of times in order to get the one they want. This is just a big "**** YOU" to players already grinding their stupid gamble gear system and pointless resource & time sink that is more punishing than rewarding.

You can do what some of us are planning. Completely ignore the system. Not worth the loss of credits for such minor or meaningless boosts. Only MM raiders need to worry about this, and that's only for the Armorings, hilts, and barrels.

+1 for changing the cost of recalibration! I really like the idea of being able to mold our gear, but the way it is now is really depressing and I feel totally powerless against the amplifier RNG. I rather spend time and credits on something I know I will earn in the end, rather than rely on my bad luck to get it. The price should have a e.g 50k cap or reset the cost every day. We'll still waste credits on failed rolls, but it won't be INSANE like it is now.

Only MM raiders need to worry about this, and that's only for the Armorings, hilts, and barrels.

Also pvpers, otherwise the wealthy ones get a significant damage bonus over us poor peons. :( Or healing or tanking. It's like 10% IIRC, looking at some stuff from the pvp forums.

Edited by teclado

Two additions to OP's Advice

for crafting bonuses, only roll amplifiers on green 268-270 gear, it has a cheaper baseline, and you'll make sets that you only wear while crafting (although the bonuses are actually much lower than stated, they are {Amp% * (1 - Base%)} so you might not even care)

another trick I've found is sthat if you must roll on an amp, regardless of what the roll is, apply the highest bonus before rerolling... there appears to be a pool removal mechanic, so removing higher tier options you DON'T want (by selecting them) gives better chances of rolling higher tier bonuses you DO want... I can't confirm this 100%, but it seems to be working for me.

also, set a limit on what you're willing to spend to chase your bonus... and if you reroll and don't get it within that cost frame, burn the item (deconstruct or vendor)

• 1 year later...

I cam amass credits without even trying too. This is probably the first mmo ever, where I never ran out of currency or had to invest a lot of effort to earn it. (100k in this game is pocket in-game currency money)

So while not perfect system, I don't get what are you frustrated about

Edited by Senteliks

My bank:

https://i.imgur.com/1gbh5Kw.png

https://i.imgur.com/x2sR0Wg.png

When I hit about 50k rolling an amplifier, I replace the mod with another out of my legacy vault and start over at 20k.

I can afford to burn the mods.

What hurts is rolling amplifiers on a set bonus piece. For those, because I'm OCD about getting gold amplifiers, I just burn the credits until I get what I want.

Also, if rolling amplifiers on a mod, and I get a gold amplifier for something my class doesn't need (Critical Biochem on a synthweaver, for example), I pop that out and put it in my legacy vault for an appropriate toon to use and grab another mod.

I think the situation is most painful for people just starting out at 306 rather than people awash with mods and the money to spare, but I do occasionally get frustrated hitting 50k and still not getting what I want, even with the luxury of being able to replace the mod.

I've spend over 100 million on rolling one set of of yellow weapons expertise armor mods and hilts. It's definitely a credit sink.

It is VERY high. It is also one of the worst RNG rates in game IMO ...

It should also be noted that when this was first discussed in PTS it was requested to be a lot less RNG .. or at the least "better" results when attempting to "re-roll" the amps.

To be perfectly honest I don't spend anything on re-rolls. I either get what I'm looking for or I don't. A player could sink billions into the "perfect setup" . Sorry ... but no thank you!

IMO of all of the new armoring system components this is the one part that needs some TLC and correction. I can live with the rest of it where it's at. We are still light years ahead of the previous grind until you drop ... the grind some more system. Soooo I don't want to change that aspect of what we have.

That said .... the amplifier re-rolling system really does need some TLC if we're going to really make good use of the amplifiers.

It is VERY high. It is also one of the worst RNG rates in game IMO ...

It should also be noted that when this was first discussed in PTS it was requested to be a lot less RNG .. or at the least "better" results when attempting to "re-roll" the amps.

To be perfectly honest I don't spend anything on re-rolls. I either get what I'm looking for or I don't. A player could sink billions into the "perfect setup" . Sorry ... but no thank you!

IMO of all of the new armoring system components this is the one part that needs some TLC and correction. I can live with the rest of it where it's at. We are still light years ahead of the previous grind until you drop ... the grind some more system. Soooo I don't want to change that aspect of what we have.

That said .... the amplifier re-rolling system really does need some TLC if we're going to really make good use of the amplifiers.

I just can’t help wondering what Bioware do to amps when they release a new set of higher gear. Personally know a guy who spends 2billion on his main to get optimal amps.

I said amplifiers were a dumb (and thats not a strong enough word, but the word I would like to use is against the TOS) idea since well before they released.

Either they make a statistically significant difference and matter, technically to everyone, or they don't make a statistically significant difference and don't matter to anyone.

BW needs to review optimization problems and stats class.

Here are the tentative changes BW is currently proposing on the PTS.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=988247

PTS experience: The level locking means that the percentage you have on the amplifier is the minimum you will get in future rolls. It does not mean you will get the same type of amplifier in future rolls. It also means every one of your rolls costs 100K or more, starting from the very first roll and will increase in price for every roll - up to 100 rolls per week on that item modification.

If you think of amplifier rolling as gambling, the locking option given by the new system is geared (pun intentional) towards the high-rollers.

Edited by mike_carton

While I understand this, personally I just wait untill I get a amplifer/gear I want as loot or from a reward crate. Most seem OK for one character or another and as its all legacy bound.

Still the cost is high I agree, but then again at high levels getting credits is not all that hard. At lower levels not sure why you would be rolling amplifers anyway other than the single one for conquest. If that is it applies to lower leved characters for conquests, as not tried myself.