Diversion in PVP

alienwareguy

The other day I decided to dust off my sniper, and try out some pvp. Well this time around there is a lot more snipers and slingers running around, from the times I played mostly from launch to around 3.0. I'm finding it quite frustrating that Diversion still ruins sniper gameplay. Idk if anyone else feels the same way, but it seems like all snipers and slingers wanna do is troll each other with diversion the entire wz match. It takes the fun out of this class honestly. You would never even know this ability existed until you get on a slinger/sniper, then find yourself forced into a diversion battle the entire match with the other snipers/slingers on the opposing team.

I know this ability is very useful especially when a marauder is trying to sit on you, but it seems like the part about it exposing you from cover is really unnecessary, and just totally ruins any fun to be had on this class. Its even more troll than electronet, at least electronet doesn't expose you from cover if the ability is applied while you are already in cover. I mean, I know you can just leave the area of effect but still, you are unable to return to cover until the effect wears off. Is it just me or does anyone else feel like this ability needs some change, especially since there is a higher population of sniper and slingers running around now.

I can tell for sure the other guy doesn't like it when I throw that crap on him because, immediately after they toss it right back to me. Its almost comical in a way but, at the same time it gets super old really fast. Any advice on how to avoid this catastrophe, other than just not playing sniper/slinger?

Edited by alienwareguy

it absolutely does need a change. why the hell is mm the only spec that gets a slow with their diversion. either give it to all the specs or none. other than that, i completely disagree with your post. diversion battle against other snipers are awesome. Edited by sumquy

In my experience, when you can afford to "waste" diversion offensively vs another sniper you're in a pretty good position over-all. More often than not you tend to get jumped by an operative or assassin in short order and need to pop it for defense. Especially these days when there's seemingly around 4 ops and 2 assassins for every sniper.

it absolutely does need a change. why the hell is mm the only spec that gets a slow with their diversion. either give it to all the specs or none. other than that, i completely disagree with your post. diversion battle against other snipers are awesome.

Not sure what you mean. All specs can spec into this, though mm can extend it for a few seconds after leaving the aoe.

Edited by wepeel

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't work on Entrench/Hunker Down. Cover is essentially a stance. I don't know of any other ability in game that can drop a stance thus causing the loss of the offensive and defensive benefits of being in said stance. I can understand the concept of having counter-play, but it's the only one of its kind in the game.

Imagine, for example, if Juggs/Guardians had an ability that they could use on other Juggs/Guardians to make their tanking stance drop, causing not only them to become more vulnerable, but also immediately dropping guard from their guarded target because they can only guard while in tank stance.

Or if VGs/PTs could force a stance drop on each other screwing over Cell Burst/Energy Burst by causing energy lodes to be lost, or not build in the first place. That would be stance counter-play, too, right? Why is that Diversion has attached to it the only stance counter-play in the game?

In my experience, when you can afford to "waste" diversion offensively vs another sniper you're in a pretty good position over-all. More often than not you tend to get jumped by an operative or assassin in short order and need to pop it for defense. Especially these days when there's seemingly around 4 ops and 2 assassins for every sniper.

Not sure what you mean. All specs can spec into this, though mm can extend it for a few seconds after leaving the aoe.

it's not possible to understand, because it's not true. i went full derp and said slow, when what i meant was the part that prevents using covered escape to get out of it. and now that i think about it, is that still true? i know for a fact that mm used to be able to roll out of diversion, but i haven't seen lately. now i'm not sure if thats because everybody switched to engi or if they did change it.

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't work on Entrench/Hunker Down. Cover is essentially a stance. I don't know of any other ability in game that can drop a stance thus causing the loss of the offensive and defensive benefits of being in said stance. I can understand the concept of having counter-play, but it's the only one of its kind in the game.

Imagine, for example, if Juggs/Guardians had an ability that they could use on other Juggs/Guardians to make their tanking stance drop, causing not only them to become more vulnerable, but also immediately dropping guard from their guarded target because they can only guard while in tank stance.

Or if VGs/PTs could force a stance drop on each other screwing over Cell Burst/Energy Burst by causing energy lodes to be lost, or not build in the first place. That would be stance counter-play, too, right? Why is that Diversion has attached to it the only stance counter-play in the game?

i'm actually ok with it because it is another sniper that does it. i would scream bloody murder if another class did it though.

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't work on Entrench/Hunker Down. Cover is essentially a stance. I don't know of any other ability in game that can drop a stance thus causing the loss of the offensive and defensive benefits of being in said stance.

Imagine, for example, if Juggs/Guardians had an ability...?

Well, you can get knocked back out of cover as well. It doesn't really work like a stance.

it's not possible to understand, because it's not true. i went full derp and said slow, when what i meant was the part that prevents using covered escape to get out of it. and now that i think about it, is that still true? i know for a fact that mm used to be able to roll out of diversion, but i haven't seen lately. now i'm not sure if thats because everybody switched to engi or if they did change it.

Well, yes and no. All specs can avoid diversion through covered escape/hightail it, but only if you time it right and roll when the grenade is incoming. Once you're hit it's too late.

And again, I don't know what kind of warzones you guys are seeing, but being one on one vs another sniper/slinger without a sorc wailing on you or an op appearing to stun you happens for me maybe once a month. Heck, it's even gotten so rare to see any other sniper or slinger inside a warzone that it makes me happy just to stumble across one. Usually out of 16 players it'll be 7-8 sorcs/sages, 3-4 PTs, 2-3 ops and the rest mixed melee.

Edited by wepeel