Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

War Hero vs Dread Guard Gear

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
War Hero vs Dread Guard Gear

Tim-ONeil
10.12.2012 , 10:15 AM | #11
Gear snobs will tell you that WH gear isn't good enough for Ops and they are completely incorrect. With an exotech stim you are pretty close to the higher end PVE geared players accounting for the diminishing returns curve.

In SWTOR there's a general vibe that tends to make people well over geared for an event to compensate for general lack of skill and poor ability rotation. Maybe this is carry over from WoW but I am not sure.

For example prior to the difficulty reduction in Lost Island Hard Mode 4 players in tionese/columni should have been able to run the flashpoint successfully, if they hit their intended dps/healing output. Since there are only 4 members there anyone not capable of hitting that mark could cause a wipe. As such people way over gear for these situations to allow their gear to compensate for poor skills.

In my guild early on we had a member that refused to run ops with people that didn't already have the gear from that instance. Logically that made no sense at all because it's a progression based and you acquire gear from the next highest op/flashpoint.

I will admit however that there are many PVE players that do not fully understand their skill sets and rotations. You can get by in PVE questing with a healing companion and have a poor rotation and not fully utilize your skills. You might not even know what they all are used for because killing a group of mobs for the daily quests will never challenge you.

PVP will really teach you to know every single ability you have and that knowledge plus a measure of skill will allow you to do just fine in PVE. Don't let the gear snobs get you down.
Rhy Phin
Kl Nemonica
The Ren Legacy Server: Ebon Hawk US/EAST

Monoth
10.12.2012 , 10:19 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kubernetic View Post
In fact, in some locations such as The Black Hole, Ilum, and Belsavis, you're often better off running those missions in PVP gear than in PVE gear, in case you run into Imperial aggressors.

You can run several operations using PVP gear like BM and War Hero. The question (and i have had the same question), is at what point and what operations will you be underperforming in the operation compared to others in say, Tionese or Columi gear, or Rakata gear, etc.
Unless they changed things PvP gear is useless in PvP outside of Warzones as Expertise doesn't give you a boost in PvE areas even when fighting other players.

I know on my healer when I do HM Flashpoints and the tank has PvP gear on I can tell big time, he's usally way more squishy then someone with PvE gear, Columi gear is superior to Battlemaster gear in PvE... Now War Hero gear is probably on par with Columi but its not as good as Rakata gear...
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

NinjaApacHe
10.12.2012 , 10:22 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
Gear snobs will tell you that WH gear isn't good enough for Ops and they are completely incorrect. With an exotech stim you are pretty close to the higher end PVE geared players accounting for the diminishing returns curve.

In SWTOR there's a general vibe that tends to make people well over geared for an event to compensate for general lack of skill and poor ability rotation. Maybe this is carry over from WoW but I am not sure.

For example prior to the difficulty reduction in Lost Island Hard Mode 4 players in tionese/columni should have been able to run the flashpoint successfully, if they hit their intended dps/healing output. Since there are only 4 members there anyone not capable of hitting that mark could cause a wipe. As such people way over gear for these situations to allow their gear to compensate for poor skills.

In my guild early on we had a member that refused to run ops with people that didn't already have the gear from that instance. Logically that made no sense at all because it's a progression based and you acquire gear from the next highest op/flashpoint.

I will admit however that there are many PVE players that do not fully understand their skill sets and rotations. You can get by in PVE questing with a healing companion and have a poor rotation and not fully utilize your skills. You might not even know what they all are used for because killing a group of mobs for the daily quests will never challenge you.

PVP will really teach you to know every single ability you have and that knowledge plus a measure of skill will allow you to do just fine in PVE. Don't let the gear snobs get you down.
The Kun Legacy - ToFN
TU'PAKH 60 SW/Mar - YACHIN 60 SI/Sin - A'SHARADD 60 SW/Jug- KAASDAR 60 IA/Op
My referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/NJDcyp

Monoth
10.12.2012 , 10:26 AM | #14

I will agree PvP makes good PvE Healers as they gotta learn how to heal on the fly... But PvP makes poor DPS PvE players because they have a tendency to not play as a team and will usually pull mobs before the tank and not use their aggro dump skill during long fights making it that much harder for the tank...

PvP DPS players are used to being lone mavericks and have a hard time adjusting to PvE tactics...

PvP Tanks usually have issues keeping aggro in PvE or when the group is fighting several mobs at the same time they usually just concentrate on one mob and let their healers get killed by the other mobs...

I've had to kick several PvP players out of HM FP's because they kept wiping us with bone headed moves...
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

AidanLightwalker
10.12.2012 , 10:29 AM | #15

This is situational at best. I have done many flashpoints, as tank, healer and dps with other players that where in pvp gear. DPS in pvp gear is usually manageable if the other dps are decent and your group is killing things. Some of the pvp geared dps will make good use of CCs and the run is doable. Other times, its just painful as you wait for things to die.

Tanks in pvp gear are the worst. They usually don't hold threat, are rookies at tanking and cause wipes due to mechanics. An example is the tank our LI HM group had this morning before the servers went down. He took alot of damage, we constantly pulled off him, mechanics he totally failed on. When trying to help him, his elitest attitude prohibited him from taking our advice and cause our group alot of headache.

Pvp geared healers can make it happen, if the tank has good mitigation and the dps are killing things quickly before the healer runs low on resources. It can be done, but the group has to compensate for the healer. Just like they do when its a pvp geared dps.

At the end of the day, the pvp gear works best in pvp and the pve gear works best in pve. There is a min/max range where the two types will start to cross but this usually happens from the very smart and optimized players and these people are the exception and not the rule.

Use the appropriate gear when doing the content. I mean, hell, a Assault Vanguard can tank a run if he throws on ion cell but that doesn't make it a good idea.......
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage

Tim-ONeil
10.12.2012 , 10:31 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
I will agree PvP makes good PvE Healers as they gotta learn how to heal on the fly... But PvP makes poor DPS PvE players because they have a tendency to not play as a team and will usually pull mobs before the tank and not use their aggro dump skill during long fights making it that much harder for the tank...

PvP DPS players are used to being lone mavericks and have a hard time adjusting to PvE tactics...

PvP Tanks usually have issues keeping aggro in PvE or when the group is fighting several mobs at the same time they usually just concentrate on one mob and let their healers get killed by the other mobs...
Eh I'm referring to people that have PVE understanding though PVP is their main focus. I think your characterization of PVPers is off the mark through I'm sure the people you referred to are out there.

For most PVPers that want to run an occasional op we have to go out of our way to prove we can play because of people like yourself.
Rhy Phin
Kl Nemonica

AidanLightwalker
10.12.2012 , 10:35 AM | #17
Eh I'm referring to people that have PVE understanding though PVP is their main focus. I think your characterization of PVPers is off the mark through I'm sure the people you referred to are out there.

For most PVPers that want to run an occasional op we have to go out of our way to prove we can play because of people like yourself.
I don't. More often then not, this is what you see. People like you, are the exception and not the rule. The average player that leveled up straight pvp that hopes into a ops with their pvp are displaying all the things the poster you quoted claims. He's right on the money actually.
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage

Monoth
10.12.2012 , 10:36 AM | #18

No, you have to go out of your way because of PvP'ers I described above.... They give PvP'ers a bad rep.... When I'm putting together a OP's run how am I to know which is which, so it's safer to go with someone who has PvE experience and PvE gear...

The problem with the PvP'ers i described above is that just because they have high end PvP gear they think they can skip the normal FP's which teach you basic PvE tactics and go straight into HM Operations..

Tim-ONeil
10.12.2012 , 10:44 AM | #19
My bad. A basic understanding of PVE - one that is learned in ANY other MMO is required. I would think this is self evident but apparently not.
Rhy Phin
Kl Nemonica

stephenalandavie
10.12.2012 , 11:02 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by NinjaApacHe View Post

We meed again padawan :P
Cersei Operative 60 Opness Scoundrel 60
Quabiedney Juggernaut 60 Capt-corelli Guardian 60
Martyn PT tank 60 TouchMyBehind Marauder 60
Big In Japan