how can u change servers

Firestein

Just adding my voice to the many - when I chose my server, Hydian Way, it was quiet.

The queue is now completely unreasonable.

Server transfers without wiping out game progress are a must. If they are worried about lack of accountability for the occasional moron, then only allow them once in a blue moon or something.

Either that, or they need to be able to add power to the servers that they have facilitated the overpopulation of.

Only bioware were in a position to prevent this problem and now they have caused it, only they can solve it for everyone affected.

Tom.

P.S. Goodness knows why the forum has now decided to present itself to me in a Germanic language.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would very much like to be able to switch servers. I've been able to play since the 13th and now that my server (Lord Praven) is full the waiting queue is getting very annoying. Also since I was able to play early most of my friends have now recently purchased the game, my server is full and I would rather not start from scratch.

That being said maybe there isn't the choice to switch yet because of the game only being released to everyone else for a few days.

I don't know, all I know is that I want to be able to switch out of my current overpopulated sever so I can join my friends.

I would very much like to be able to switch servers. I've been able to play since the 13th and now that my server (Lord Praven) is full the waiting queue is getting very annoying. Also since I was able to play early most of my friends have now recently purchased the game, my server is full and I would rather not start from scratch.

That being said maybe there isn't the choice to switch yet because of the game only being released to everyone else for a few days.

I don't know, all I know is that I want to be able to switch out of my current overpopulated sever so I can join my friends.

In the lower lefthand corner of the screen there's a Select Server button. You won't be able to transfer your character but that's how you switch servers.

In the lower lefthand corner of the screen there's a Select Server button. You won't be able to transfer your character but that's how you switch servers.

Ah I know that, sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant switching my character to a different server

Ya its only about 20 mins but seeing all those "Light" west coast servers makes ya wanna jump, lol

Part of the reason there are still so many light servers and full servers is because people are worried about getting stuck on a server that has a pathetically low population. It's never fun. That's the reason I say that a 20 minute queue is more than tolerable. I'd rather deal with that than have to wait hours to get a group for a FP or OPs together.

So the thought is at some point they will allow a character transfer to a different server, for a price? If so that seems reasonable. This is my first experience with MMO's, I had no idea the server was an issue. I usually play Battlefield 3 or games such as that, you jump around servers all the time. Now I'm playing all fat, dumb, and happy and learning more about it. I'm only at level 11 but still, I don't want to have to start over just to play the exact same missions with the exact same character. What if you get to level 70 and the server gets screwed up, all your time is wasted? Or I meet people were I live and work and discover they play, I can't join them. This is just all new to me; maybe I just don't get what the problem is and why you can't change.

If someone doesn't mind spending a little time with a newbie, maybe you can explain it to me. I have read all the overviews it doesn't really seem to address it.

Just got done reading some posts about this and there will be a way to transfer servers soon, but I don't know when and I don't know how much it'll cost. I may or may not want to transfer my rp character to another server where my friend is, but the option being there is always nice.

And you'd be 100% ok with someone making a complete nuisance of themselves, stealing gear, trolling general ect. and be able to just transfer servers when they get blacklisted from every group? This is why non paid transfers are bad.

And this is why they should allow a limit on free server transfers... i Litterally picked the server with standard population and it turns out i picked the one which is almost always full and over a 20 min waiting period...

I like the idea of them farming out every character equally accros the servers because paying a subscription and having to wait is just ridiculous.

i logged on day 1 to an empty server and now i have to wait 20 mins in que a couple days later and theres a ton of empty servers. its absolutely ridiculous... it almost makes me sick. this is the first time bioware has ever disappointed me and they did it a huge way. i hope they change this and change it very soon.

First the game has been live for a week, so at most you have two weeks of playing.

That is not alot an unreasonable amount of time ifyou really need to 'start over' now a year of playing and having to start over could hurt.

Secondly there is another very good reason it is not available immediately. They need to wait to see how things balance out.

If they enabled free free transfers (or even paid transfers) right now, there would be ALOT fo transfers.. and very likely alot of those would got to 'light' load servers, and then crush them. Then you would have people not only complaining about queue times, but also complaining about I just spent X to transfer and now my queue times are worse I want to move back and get my money back.

So be patient and give them some time. I am sure there will be some option for server moves (whether 'splits' to move folks off high use servers and or paid transfers).

For right now, either live wit the delays or think about re-rolling on another server, and this time you know what to do, so you can get back to where you were in far less then the possible two weeks you have been plaing.

Peace

I completely agree that when you're picking a server, there should be something that spells out the implications of picking a server.

1. You will be stuck here and you will not be able to move.

2. If a million other people join your server, you're still stuck there with waiting times.

3. If your friends are on another server, you can pick up the phone and call them and tell them about your adventures later. No need to play with them on here.

4. In the future if we do allow switching for the people we have trapped in a location who didn't read the fine print (oh wait, there wasn't any fine print), we're going to charge a large fee because we haven't made you pay enough yet by buying the game and your monthly subscription, not to mention other pay-for perks that you probably already enjoy.

I've only played one MMO before this, Star Trek Online, and there is absolutely nothing in there about servers. Everyone is playing on either the same server or some huge matrix of servers. They do have separate "instances" of each world running. But when I beam down to a planet or station, it automatically puts me in the same instance with my guild mates there, so I can see their characters and interact with them automatically.

When I first bought this game, nothing was mentioned about what each server was and that your character would be stuck forever there. I knew some of my guild mates from STO were playing here, so I was going to join them at a later date. But first I wanted to get used to the mechanics of everything myself. The only indication I ever got about picking a server is the color coded bright red FULL = apparently bad and green NORMAL, which is apparently good. So I picked the NORMAL one.

Well after some leveling and finally talking with my STO guild mates, I know what server they're on, and it's not mine. I have a level 30 character that, frankly, I'd like to keep. "Oh it's only two weeks. It's not your whole life...." I don't know about you, but this isn't my real life. So when I get on here, I can enjoy myself, play with friends and not have to worry about anything. I spent a few hardcore days in here (thanks to the holiday season) figuring out where I wanted to go with my character, what I wanted to do, enjoying the story line, and leveling my character. These couple of weeks would take me months to get back to the same place. Frankly, I don't want to repeat the same decisions and the same quests again all in a reduplication of my efforts.

Aside from that, I'm in a server that I never have any problem with wait times. What does that mean? There is almost no one to do group quests with. I've done VERY few Heroics and Flashpoint missions. I did get a group together for one Flashpoint. And I've done some of the 2-person Heroics. Other than that, I'm not able to complete any of the 4+ person group quests.

The fact that you can't change servers is the dumbest thing ever, and quite frankly, inexcusable. I could understand not letting a character go from PvE to PvP, but that's about it. If I have invested all this time into a character only to find out a friend is on another server, why should I have to go through it all again to play with a friend? DUMB.

Want to know what me and my friends did? We actually coordianted and decided what server we would be on at launch. Simple, no?

Want to know what me and my friends did? We actually coordianted and decided what server we would be on at launch. Simple, no?

What you need to realize is that due to the many (and I mean many) install and run issues with PC games, $$ to upgrade, numerous software issues, bad timing with things that happen in real life, etc. etc. etc. not everyone can get organized so easily.

Plus if one guy in a group of friends picks a "LIGHT" server at say 10 pm. And finds out later or the next day that everybody and their mother is now in there. "HEAVY". Now were all waiting in line. Fun fun fun! That doesn't work out so well. Real life vs theory is what makes life so much "fun". Don't you think? I could see waiting in line if the game was free. Then I couldn't complain.

It's not like console gaming where I send an invite and bam! All my friends are in the same lobby ready to go within seconds with live voice chat and any server will do.

BTW: CHARGING for CHANGING SERVERS is outragious! And to the mindless sheep that said they should charge us $5.00 - $100.00 to change servers each time. Not everyone can live in mom's basement with no bills. Some of us have wives, kids, and a lot of responsibility and bills. Stupid comments like that are the very reason everything is so expensive in gaming. Sure, the Dev's love that kind of clueless thinking. But not all of us have money to burn. :mad: I spent $400.00 on all new PC components (with future upgrade head room built in) to build a new gaming rig. My single core PC is not enough for SWTOR. It's a monster,... for other games. Then I spent $60.00 + $13.00 a month for this game.

Thankfully I build my own PC's or I would have had to spend a lot more. It just amazes me how people can make such stupid snarky comments like that without realizing other people's situations (because something doesn't apply to them).

Edited by JediJudoChopx

Being a dink and wanting to play with friends are completely different things. If someone was being jerk, there are no doubt parameters in place to take care of that. The fact that there is no option to go from one server to another is just weak, though. If I had to pay five bucks to do it, I would. I love the game and everything, but I'm already up to level 12 with my Sith and 11 with my Jedi and have no interest in grinding out the two home worlds again, and I am already finding my friends are scattering onto different servers.

Level 12? really? that's like 2 hours of gameplay. Just spacebar all the quests on the homeworlds and you'll be caught up in no time flat.

Level 12? really? that's like 2 hours of gameplay. Just spacebar all the quests on the homeworlds and you'll be caught up in no time flat.

Yeah but he won't do every little thing he did the first time exactly the same way. Different loot, different upgrades choices, different perk choices, etc. etc. etc. I put a lot of thought into my characters every decision because games nowadays have a lot of "you're screwed down the road if you make the wrong decision now" moments. I hope they can fix this like other MMO's have done already. I don't have this problem yet. But I can imagine how frustrating it would be to deal with.

Edited by JediJudoChopx