Let us kill Lana Beniko

jediknightmiles

She's the only one who knows about our true allegiance. That added with her level of competence has turned her into a risk I would rather not have.

My human IA would have never told her that information to begin with. There should have been an option to lie to Lana in that conversation. My IA would have been for more likely to tell Theron, or her LI if she were inclined to tell anyone at all. But she would never have told Lana. I didn't really get any choices there in what I felt was a character defining moment; it's very frustrating.

Edited by Xenipher

Also, it doesn't make much sense. Lana Beniko is the only companion who has been through everything with you. Never betrayed you and always obeyed your every command. She is literally the most loyal friend you have. She even allies herself with the Republic for you. This is why I never understand why someone would want to kill her. I mean I understand you might not like her personality or her character...but after everything she has done for you, including saving your life multiple times, you'd think people would be somewhat grateful.;)

Because the writer's say she is my character's friend. My character is not allowed to choose her own friends. She saved my character multiple times because the writer's have no one else to do it because everyone else is killable; it's Lana by necessity.

The Outlander is about to die, lets have Theron rescue them and - we can't because he could be dead.

Right then, we'll use Kaliyo, give Firebrand something to do that isn't just blowing things up - Uh, no, she could be dead.

OK, well what about - Sir, almost everyone but Lana could be dead.

We haven't used Koth in a while, perhaps we can bring the player around to him if - probably dead.

Jorgan? Havoc Squad infiltrating the - can be dead.

Fine. Well, who is alive for everyone? Lana.

Lana saves the Outlander.

But look at what Lana has done for you, saved your life so many times!!!

Edited by Xenipher
  • Like 1

Fine. Well, who is alive for everyone? Lana.

There are two others, neither of whom is credible as a substitute for Lana. Who are they?

Gault Rennow. Just about the last person I'd think of as "altruistic saviour" or "loyal friend who'll always, no matter what, have your back".

T7-O1. Fits the "altruistic saviour" thing really well, and doesn't seem overly fussed by working against the Republic (certainly not for an Impsider who goes home). No, he isn't *happy* about it (read his mail on the subject), but he remains loyal.

Unfortunately, T7 has restricted mobility - stairs in particular are a major obstacle for astromech droids - and "rushing to save the Outlander" doesn't seem to be part of his skill set.

So yes, we're stuck with Lana until the writers introduce a new person to be credible in her role. (Personally, IRL I wouldn't mind being stuck with Lana, especially if there's a bed(1) involved in the situation.)

(1) No. some elaboration is **not** required. If you don't get my drift, there's no hope for you.

My personal feeling is that, as always, the money drives the story. By retaining only ONE unkillable character it greatly reduces the money BW has to shell out for voice actors/actresses, because all other possibly dead characters have greatly reduced lines going forward. It's less time in the studio except for Lydia Leonard (Lana) and a few others.

There are two others, neither of whom is credible as a substitute for Lana. Who are they?

Gault Rennow. Just about the last person I'd think of as "altruistic saviour" or "loyal friend who'll always, no matter what, have your back".

T7-O1. Fits the "altruistic saviour" thing really well, and doesn't seem overly fussed by working against the Republic (certainly not for an Impsider who goes home). No, he isn't *happy* about it (read his mail on the subject), but he remains loyal.

Unfortunately, T7 has restricted mobility - stairs in particular are a major obstacle for astromech droids - and "rushing to save the Outlander" doesn't seem to be part of his skill set.

So yes, we're stuck with Lana until the writers introduce a new person to be credible in her role. (Personally, IRL I wouldn't mind being stuck with Lana, especially if there's a bed(1) involved in the situation.)

(1) No. some elaboration is **not** required. If you don't get my drift, there's no hope for you.

There's the problem: I don't need a substitute for Lana, but they wrote the story in such a way that at times my character feels like she's helpless and just waiting for Lana or whatever NPC to wipe her ***. How about I be allowed to rescue myself; it's alright to have the player have to puzzle their way out of a situation. I really don't need Lana - or any companion really - riding to my rescue all the time when things go south. I'm perfectly OK with my character having no other option but to help herself. It would be a refreshing change.

I think the reason Lana get's singled out though is because every other LI can be dead so there's nothing relevant for them to do, but then our character is forced on a romantic walk with Lana and sharing our secrets with her, something that would be out of character for my human IA; she would never, ever tell Lana she was a double agent. This kind of thing builds resentment. Not just because of the LI situation, it's not a dating sim, but more so for me because my character lacks the agency to even decide who her friends are and who she shares her secrets with. I would be fine with this if my character was pre-defined, but it's a roleplaying game in which the only role I'm allowed to play is the narrow one the writers have set for me without any meaningful input from my character.

• Like 1

There's the problem: I don't need a substitute for Lana, but they wrote the story in such a way that at times my character feels like she's helpless and just waiting for Lana or whatever NPC to wipe her ***. How about I be allowed to rescue myself; it's alright to have the player have to puzzle their way out of a situation. I really don't need Lana - or any companion really - riding to my rescue all the time when things go south. I'm perfectly OK with my character having no other option but to help herself. It would be a refreshing change.

I think the reason Lana get's singled out though is because every other LI can be dead so there's nothing relevant for them to do, but then our character is forced on a romantic walk with Lana and sharing our secrets with her, something that would be out of character for my human IA; she would never, ever tell Lana she was a double agent. This kind of thing builds resentment. Not just because of the LI situation, it's not a dating sim, but more so for me because my character lacks the agency to even decide who her friends are and who she shares her secrets with. I would be fine with this if my character was pre-defined, but it's a roleplaying game in which the only role I'm allowed to play is the narrow one the writers have set for me without any meaningful input from my character.

Well said. The overuse of Lana in situations that don't even make proper sense for her to be used in is what's making me sick of her. I liked Lana just fine before the devs turned her into their favored Space Waifu who can do no wrong and steers you around by a kriffing leash making all the decisions even though you're allegedly the Commander of the Alliance and she's the subordinate. I still don't hate the character; what I hate is how she's constantly shoved in our face as the most important person in our characters' lives no matter what. The big tagline the devs kept pushing during KotFE and KotET were "Your choices matter!" but time and time again they slapped us in the face with evidence that our choices did not, in fact, matter diddly squat. Lana's omnipresence as the precious and perfect Space Waifu in everyone's story regardless of what decisions you made in the story is by far one of the biggest offenses in this category.

I also have a double agent Imperial Agent toon, and it frustrates me to high heaven that the story makes it so I'd have to have my agent tell Lana she's a double agent, when my IA would never in a million billion trillion years do such a thing. So the IA will secretly work for the Republic from the end of the class story through Shadow of Revan (as evidenced by that small extra cutscene), but then toss it all out the airlock after "Keeping Up With The Valkorions" is done? One of the reasons the Imperial Agent story is so beloved is because you DO have choices, and your choices DO matter. But with the expansion content, the traitor arc, and now Jedi Under Seige, all those choices have been wiped away in favor of a one size fits all "You have to love Space Waifu Lana and spend much more time with her than anyone else because we wrote the story that way" narrative that kills all replay value and fun.

This is why I've only ever completed all the story content on my main. What's the point in redoing the story from start to finish and making different choices when you're just going to end up stuck with being Space Waifu Lana's puppet no matter what? It's boring. It's frustrating. And I'm not going to bother.

Edited by AscendingSky
  • Like 1

I also have a double agent Imperial Agent toon, and it frustrates me to high heaven that the story makes it so I'd have to have my agent tell Lana she's a double agent, when my IA would never in a million billion trillion years do such a thing. So the IA will secretly work for the Republic from the end of the class story through Shadow of Revan (as evidenced by that small extra cutscene), but then toss it all out the airlock after "Keeping Up With The Valkorions" is done? One of the reasons the Imperial Agent story is so beloved is because you DO have choices, and your choices DO matter. But with the expansion content, the traitor arc, and now Jedi Under Seige, all those choices have been wiped away in favor of a one size fits all "You have to love Space Waifu Lana and spend much more time with her than anyone else because we wrote the story that way" narrative that kills all replay value and fun.

This is why I've only ever completed all the story content on my main. What's the point in redoing the story from start to finish and making different choices when you're just going to end up stuck with being Space Waifu Lana's puppet no matter what? It's boring. It's frustrating. And I'm not going to bother.

That BS bothered me so much that I immediately closed the game and haven't taken that character through Jedi Under Siege yet. It was the straw that broke the camel's back for me when playing my human IA. I have grit my teeth through a lot of out of character moments, but that one was too much because I felt that was a moment for my character to finally grab some of her agency back. But, no. The writers have decided for me that Lana is my IA's friend and that my character would share that secret with her. NO. My IA would not have shared it with anyone at all, not even her LI at first. Once again Lana is given far more relevance to my character by the writers that I have given Lana.

There's already a Lana-hating thread, don't you guys want to keep hatred concentrated in one place? I hear you can squeeze out moar Dark Side Juice this way. :D

Also, I would love to have Gault as my handler. "Commander, while you're busy with crops on Ossus, perhaps you can offer them some Gellar Roing's patented Dihydrogen Monoxide super-duper Fertilizer™? Split fifty-fifty, and whoever says they saw crates of Ossian artifacts in the hangar is blind and on their way to permanent reassigment to Hoth."

There's already a Lana-hating thread, don't you guys want to keep hatred concentrated in one place? I hear you can squeeze out moar Dark Side Juice this way. :D

No, they'll just keep screaming until BW finally capitulates, and then they'll scream if she's not bricked for those who kept her because it will take time from their space husbands. It's like that old kids' song, "This is the song that doesn't end."

Also, it doesn't make much sense. Lana Beniko is the only companion who has been through everything with you. Never betrayed you and always obeyed your every command. She is literally the most loyal friend you have. She even allies herself with the Republic for you. This is why I never understand why someone would want to kill her. I mean I understand you might not like her personality or her character...but after everything she has done for you, including saving your life multiple times, you'd think people would be somewhat grateful.;)

She proved she could not be trusted when she let Theron get captured on Rishi. She may not have done anything since but she has shown she is capable of underhanded actions.

I don't like her but that's not the main reason I would like the option of killing her. The fact that she alone of all other companions in the main Kofte/et storyline cannot be killed is. Why not Theron or Koth? No, precious Lana is where they draw the line.

She proved she could not be trusted when she let Theron get captured on Rishi. She may not have done anything since but she has shown she is capable of underhanded actions.

I don't like her but that's not the main reason I would like the option of killing her. The fact that she alone of all other companions in the main Kofte/et storyline cannot be killed is. Why not Theron or Koth? No, precious Lana is where they draw the line.

Don't forget as head of Sith Intelligence she failed to see a spy right under her nose. Failed to identify Theron as the "traitor". Koth planted a quantum bomb on the Gravestone and Lana the spymaster was oblivious. I'm not saying she should die or that I want her dead, but my Darth has killed people for less than these embarrassing blunders.

Edited by Xenipher

I think Charkes already said they wont give a kill option unless it make since and lana haven't done anything to warrant it yet. i doubt she will she a loyal person. before you go theron on me. i get why she did it, and she was right. remember the force vcan wipe a mind who says it can find stuff like being caught on purpose.

My personal feeling is that, as always, the money drives the story. By retaining only ONE unkillable character it greatly reduces the money BW has to shell out for voice actors/actresses, because all other possibly dead characters have greatly reduced lines going forward. It's less time in the studio except for Lydia Leonard (Lana) and a few others.

I'm not sure that's true, given that Lydia Leonard has a very respectable TV career here in the UK, regularly appearing on our screens. I'm no expert on these things, but I'd imagine she'd cost Bioware a lot more than that bloke who voices Theron, and most of the other actors they use. Bearing in mind the excellent job she always does, I'd say it's money well spent though.

The Outlander is about to die, lets have Theron rescue them and - we can't because he could be dead.

Right then, we'll use Kaliyo, give Firebrand something to do that isn't just blowing things up - Uh, no, she could be dead.

OK, well what about - Sir, almost everyone but Lana could be dead.

We haven't used Koth in a while, perhaps we can bring the player around to him if - probably dead.

Jorgan? Havoc Squad infiltrating the - can be dead.

...and this is because people asked to be able to kill companions and Bioware complied. Enough of this 'let's kill everybody for no reason' edgelord stuff. Add someone meaningful for the story if anything (doesn't even need to be a companion - just someone who's there with you as an advisor \ quest giver \ friend).

...and this is because people asked to be able to kill companions and Bioware complied. Enough of this 'let's kill everybody for no reason' edgelord stuff. Add someone meaningful for the story if anything (doesn't even need to be a companion - just someone who's there with you as an advisor \ quest giver \ friend).

I agree completely. Stop with the kill options for companions. I'm a bit apprehensive about getting attached to any new companions and their story because it's just a matter of time before they're collecting dust along with the vanilla companions. At the moment I think it's best for me to view them as crafting tools and not care about them at all. One of my SWs flirted with Anri and I quite liked her character but I had to remind myself not to bother because soon enough she'll be dead or something.

I'm not sure that's true, given that Lydia Leonard has a very respectable TV career here in the UK, regularly appearing on our screens. I'm no expert on these things, but I'd imagine she'd cost Bioware a lot more than that bloke who voices Theron, and most of the other actors they use. Bearing in mind the excellent job she always does, I'd say it's money well spent though.

That bloke is Troy Baker and he's a quite famous.

Exactly. The reason we're in this spot is because people howled about killing companions so much. Well, people got what they wanted, and now there's nearly nobody left.

What I don't think people get is that killing Lana or any other remaining universal companions (all three of them - Raina, T7 and Gault) isn't going to suddenly prompt Bioware to start adding new content with the LIs or companions they miss. They're just going to shrug and throw a whole new lot of companions/NPCs at us - as they have begun to do in 5.10 - and eventually people are going to whine for their deaths too, and the cycle will just continue.

Troy Baker is pretty well known and prolific voice actor, he's not just some random nobody. But regardless, are voice actors really so prohibitively expensive? They already have to pay eight voice actors to do the Player Character's dialogue alone. I'd have thought the real problem was coding different outcomes into the gameplay.

Anyway, when it comes to the so called "bricking" of other companions, Bioware insists that it isn't because they can die, but even assuming that you don't believe them, it wouldn't be their death per say that is the problem. It is the fact that the game allows you not to go your separate ways at all.

Take Koth for instance, the only alternatives to killing him would be either him not caring that you bombed his people or not giving you darkside options to damage Zakuul in that way. I don't think that either option would have been something that I wanted. But Koth was going to be gone even if you didn't get to kill him in Kotet.

Unless they forced you to take him back after he hijacked the Gravestone, which I think would have been even worse. Frankly, I doubt very much it was community outcry that made them write his story the way they did. He leaves in Chapter 10 of Kotfe. I don't think they would have added such a massive change as Koth abandoning the Alliance to their original plan in the short time between Kotfe's initial release and Anarchy In Paradise's release. I'm fairly sure that Koth possibly leaving was always the intention.