Stephen Reid answers questions. Everyone should see this.

WarTornPanda

He answers a lot of questions.

Some of the issues discussed are character responsiveness, hoods, neutral gear, GTN, and many more.

I don't know why this stuff is done on Reddit as opposed to the official forums, but that's another issue for another day. For now, enjoy getting some feedback on heavily discussed topics.

Edit: Oh. Please bump this to help reduce the creation of redundant threads.

Edit #2: Non-disclosure agreement. Google it.

Edited by WarTornPanda

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Second page...

Come on guys. Keep this bumped. Everyone wants answers and you finally get them, but no one cares? :confused:

What updates?

This is roughly the most complete answer given.

Q: What is the dress code like a bioware?

At last a question I can answer in full!! (Joke....)

It's very casual. T-shirts and jeans are the norm. Many, many Star Wars and/or SWTOR shirts on a daily basis. :)

Some of the issues discussed are character responsiveness, hoods, neutral gear, GTN, and many more.

I don't know why this stuff is done on Reddit as opposed to the official forums, but that's another issue for another day. For now, enjoy getting some feedback on heavily discussed topics.

Good read! Thanks. :)

I think the thread title should really be "Stephen Reid dodges questions"

A pretty pointless read imho, I can sum most of his answers up quite quickly for anyone not wanting to waste their time

Q: What are you doing about blank

A: We are aware of blank and have discussed blank. I can't tell you what we will do about it though or when it will be fixed.

The only think he was definite on was UI cutomisation coming, but again gave no timescale (for obvious reasons). All in all a generic MMO Q&A - it gives the impression the devs listen without actually giving any info on anything.

What updates?

This is roughly the most complete answer given.

Hardly... He gives a lot of insight on a variety of issues and the direction they are headed. It's more about being able to see that the developers are aware of the biggest issues the community has. You just have to learn to read between the lines.

For example...

Q: Can we please get a more functional AH/Galactic Trade Market?

"Improvements will come to the GTN in time, definitely."

Q: Any updates on improvements to the LFG system, or an ETA on when we might see them?

"No updates on that."

The LFG system is clearly something that they are putting on the back burner. They don't want to cause a backlash so they decline to give an update.

Why the hell is this type of thing not done through the forums? I should not have to go to 15 different websites or Twitter or Facebook or any other crap to find out whats going on.

^^ Really, this! ^^

Communication should be done through proper channels, marketing should be done through 3rd party websites.

As I read through, all I see is a bunch of questions and no answers. The only thing that caught my eye is this:

Q: are there plans to add more vanity pets and non-mechanical mounts to the game?

More pets - yes. Non-mechanical mounts - maybe, it's a technical challenge, I've been told.

It's a technical challenge to add non-mechanical mounts? So, it's too hard to add sitting in chairs, swimming, non-mechanical mounts(I'm guessing that when an animal runs, your character should kind of bounce, unlike being smooth on the mechanical ones, and it's too hard for them to get the bounce down, just a guess), chat bubbles, and getting the combat system to work correctly. It sounds to me like they have serious engine issues they need to take care of.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this game so far, but this game should have been pushed back.

OP, thanks for that link. It seems he answered as much as he possibly could without putting himself in a tough spot.

No problem. It's obvious that he doesn't want to upset anyone by saying that a feature or change is definitely not going to happen, but at least you get a feel for the direction they plan on going. This is pretty much as good as it's going to get for a MMORPG Q&A.

Although it's done in a unfamiliar way, (IE posted via Reddit.com) this unfortunately has become a new trend with game developers, Aion & Rift and a few others saw this problem where information was posted via twitter as opposed to their own websites.

That being said:

We all wanted answers and for a lot of us, the character response time was a major issue which we now know they are actually looking into, i don't know about the rest of you, but to me personally, acutally getting a response in regards to it is a major upside.

As he said, it's not easy, but they ARE looking into it.

Not to mention that a few other concerns from players with a massive backing in the community is being looked into from the looks of it.

SWTOR is a brand new game, and due to EA's pushing it out for christmas, BioWare at least deserves a few months to respond to us and work on bug fixes.

Which they clearly are.

Well done Bio-Ware, if not on the official forum, at least we got a reply.

As I read through, all I see is a bunch of questions and no answers. The only thing that caught my eye is this:

Q: are there plans to add more vanity pets and non-mechanical mounts to the game?

More pets - yes. Non-mechanical mounts - maybe, it's a technical challenge, I've been told.

It's a technical challenge to add non-mechanical mounts? So, it's too hard to add sitting in chairs, swimming, non-mechanical mounts(I'm guessing that when an animal runs, your character should kind of bounce, unlike being smooth on the mechanical ones, and it's too hard for them to get the bounce down, just a guess), chat bubbles, and getting the combat system to work correctly. It sounds to me like they have serious engine issues they need to take care of.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this game so far, but this game should have been pushed back.

This response surprised me as well. I guess he meant that it's a challenge in the context of fitting it in to their current plans... Dunno either.

I've seen it, but he didn't really answer much at all. He wrote some answers but there wasn't much meat there at all. Most of the time he was either evading the question or saying their usual line of 'we aren't talking about that right now' or 'we know about that and we are looking at it'.

Fair play to him for doing the Q&A, but it's a pointless exercise if they are not in a position to answer the bulk of the questions.

Edited by Mandrax

Only people who should read this are those who want to learn how to answer questions like a politician. Seriously, out of all those questions, he provided very little insight into anything TOR development related. Most of the answers were the standard "we're aware of that but can say nothing more." His answer to the server forums bit was a huge kick in the teeth too.. there is no easy solution? Yes there is, just bleeding give them already! Edited by Senden