Updated: How to Become a Contender

ManiacDavis

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Maniac,

I was was pretty surprised to return to the game to find out someone revamped my old PvP Contender thread. I didn't even realize it wasn't mine until I tried to edit it and update the content, lol. That's when I realized it was a copy of mine with some different content added to it. I'm really glad someone ran with my old idea.

That said, the guide really is outdated and needs some work. I'd like to be able to edit some of my original content and send it to you so that we can make this a more appropriate guide for the current state of the game including all of the new additions to the game.

I think we could work together on this project if you didn't mind me getting back involved. What do you say? Send me a PM so we can exchange emails. I tried to send you one but your account doesn't allow PM's.

Cheers,

Edited by Lunez

Hi Maniac,

I was was pretty surprised to return to the game to find out someone revamped my old PvP Contender thread. I didn't even realize it wasn't mine until I tried to edit it and update the content, lol. That's when I realized it was a copy of mine with some different content added to it. I'm really glad someone ran with my old idea.

That said, the guide really is outdated and needs some work. I'd like to be able to edit some of my original content and send it to you so that we can make this a more appropriate guide for the current state of the game including all of the new additions to the game.

I think we could work together on this project if you didn't mind me getting back involved. What do you say? Send me a PM so we can exchange emails. I tried to send you one but your account doesn't allow PM's.

Cheers,

I sent you a PM.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did some real test and let me tell you the result are quite cool no matter if u are all green or all purple result are very similar BUT let me show you the screen shoot of

A) FULL GREEN lvl 31 (all green gear are lvl 31)

vs

B) almost 100% FULL PURPLE+AUGMENT

in the screen shoot i show 4 step

NAKED - ONLY GEAR - GEAR+BUFF - GEAR+BUFF & BOLSTER

http://i.imgur.com/DwXeAq4.jpg

the real difference is mostly POWER and ENDURANCE the quantity of critical rating u can get out of purple compared to green is so small that once bolstered make no difference

what you should focus on with purple gear is to get extra endurance and power those will make a slightly difference

lvl 41 same screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/vu2Kb0U.jpg

Edited by Pekish

• 1 month later...

As a new (in the past 6 months) player who's only ventured into PvP a couple of times I found this very helpful and would probably like PvP'g more if I was in matches with people with your mindset. Unfortunately getting yelled for being a noob and not "knowing the fights" well enough really made the experience one that left me at only PvP'g a couple of times.

I understand those who are "pros" being annoyed with new players who drag them down, but if you don't let us learn and make our way... well just look at the life cycle of the typical MMO and subtract a few years. You will find your little circle being the last bastion of players on a game doomed to have the servers shut down eventually.

Only thing I could ask for is new player PvP options based on overall legacy valor(?) rating of all toons allowing newer players to play newer players up to a certain point. Allow PvP noobs the learning curve we need without being villified by pro-players who find us an annoyance to their rare air existence.

Strongly suggest the following addition:

EXPERTISE IS USELESS IN WARZONES FOR LOWBIES!!!

Seems you will get more from bolster than from adding a lowbie enhancement with expertise, or using a Cartel Market War Hero Crystal.

Bioware, if you are listening, you really need to stop selling people lowbie "PVP" gear with bolster the way it is. You are taking their comms and/or cartel market tokens AND SELLING THEM SOMETHING THAT HURTS THEIR PVP PERFORMANCE!!!!

BW should stop selling those items asap and put a rich vendor price on them to compensate those of us who bought this crap thinking it would be useful.

• 3 weeks later...

I found the link to Hyergate basics lacking. Kinda sucked actually.

Another thing in that regard, and not sure if it's been posted, but

pylons > kills > cubes

If a team doesn't hold a pylon, they get no points for kills and can't run cubes. Also note here: at this point, all the kills you get in a round (the 2min round) are logged. Meaning, you kill a ton before you capture a pylon, those kills count. Thus, you do see teams do a full zerg mid, then go capture the pylon late in the round so they get the kill count.

As noted: cubes are for the most part worthless, kills are easier and can take less time if you have a good focus fire team..

2nd note: don't have 2 people try and cap, waste of manpower. If 2 people are heading there, one play defense, one cap.

Hi. I just started posting some vids on a few basic points for getting set up in SWTOR and breaking down a few minor points as it applies to some of the mechanics.

Here's the first one on the UI setup as well as a quick point on hotkeys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW05...W7w3_mY71_DONg

and the 2nd one dealing with the Global cooldown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ5C...W7w3_mY71_DONg

They're not uber-comprehensive but they do touch upon some of the initial concepts that you'll want to be aware of before delving in too deep.

Enjoy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems you will get more from bolster than from adding a lowbie enhancement with expertise, or using a Cartel Market War Hero Crystal.

Bioware, if you are listening, you really need to stop selling people lowbie "PVP" gear with bolster the way it is. You are taking their comms and/or cartel market tokens AND SELLING THEM SOMETHING THAT HURTS THEIR PVP PERFORMANCE!!!!

BW should stop selling those items asap and put a rich vendor price on them to compensate those of us who bought this crap thinking it would be useful.

What?

• 2 weeks later...

You should not have any expertise equipped till you reach lvl 55... I am guessing you are talking about the expertise crystals available pre55... And yes Bio should change that

DO NOT USE EXPERTISE PRE 55... Ever!!

Gearing rule - don't ever put an expertise mod, armouring, enhancement, crystal, etc in an armor shell with PVE ones... The system will not bolster the gear piece as it will already detect expertise in the piece...

For more information on gearing and bolster... Please read this sticky thread

It is a bit out of date at the beginning... So start at the back and work your way backwards

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=707204

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A few questions:

- Are there any PvP Items one can and should buy before level 50, 55 or 60? Specifically are there any I should buy at Lvl 40?

Reason:

I am currently L37, I have been saving WZ Comms for a bit using the buy/refund items from PvP vendor method so I could trade them all in for RWZ comms at 40.

I was sort of hoping there was some thing I could actually buy at that level too.

A few questions:

- Are there any PvP Items one can and should buy before level 50, 55 or 60? Specifically are there any I should buy at Lvl 40?

Reason:

I am currently L37, I have been saving WZ Comms for a bit using the buy/refund items from PvP vendor method so I could trade them all in for RWZ comms at 40.

I was sort of hoping there was some thing I could actually buy at that level too.

No there are no pvp items you should buy pre60... They aren't pvp items anyway... Only PVE items at the vendors for pre60... They really just need to be removed and the comms cap needs to be increased

What you can start doing at LVL 40 if you also have 40 valor... Is to convert reg comms to ranked comms... You should aim to have those maxed by the time you hit 60... Other than that, stock up on med packs... You will need them at LVL 60 and it is better to be using your comms at LVL 60 to buy gear and not med packs... I usually have 200+ of each type of pack by the time I reach 60... This usually lasts me till I have full ranked gear... Then you can start buying med packs again

You can buy/sell the pvp weapons every 2 hours to stack some comms... But Bio can change that at anytime with any patch... So you can run the risk of losing them... Although they haven't in 3 years