Confused on Amplifiers and Augs

BonnerFett

I'm about to gain my 6piece set bonus tonight. Which brings me to my question....As it relates to PVP.

How do you get the best amplifiers? Just keep recalibrating? Seems like that will cost a ton.

Are augments needed for PVP? Do they make a big difference? As a merc (I mostly play IO) what augs and amps should I be going for?

Thanks in advance!

Well before they hindered the refunding the pvp people just bought and sold back the set pieces till they got the amplifier they wanted. Otherwise, yes, you recalibrate over and over. OR you just keep trying to get that gear piece drop, which is a bit crazy.

Yes, augments are important for PVP.

Well before they hindered the refunding the pvp people just bought and sold back the set pieces till they got the amplifier they wanted. Otherwise, yes, you recalibrate over and over. OR you just keep trying to get that gear piece drop, which is a bit crazy.

Yes, augments are important for PVP.

This sounds expensive.......

This sounds expensive.......

Theoretically, it could cost Billions of credits to get the exact amps you want, I tested this exact thing on the pts and spent 4 billion trying to get one specific amp on a specific mod (which never happened).

I pointed this out to Bioware, but it seems they totally ignored the feed back and pushed it live,

Anyway, good luck with the rolls. I’ve given up since they removed the option to buy and sell back the Armor at the vendors. If I get to 50k and I don’t have it, that Armor set never gets the upgrade,

They are all correct about amplifiers....I don't worry about it. I have the "maybe one day" mentality.

As far as augs, yes, there is a significant difference. I have made enough 276 lvl augs for 2 characters. Performance on these two are much better than those without.

Theoretically, it could cost Billions of credits to get the exact amps you want, I tested this exact thing on the pts and spent 4 billion trying to get one specific amp on a specific mod (which never happened).

I pointed this out to Bioware, but it seems they totally ignored the feed back and pushed it live,

Anyway, good luck with the rolls. I’ve given up since they removed the option to buy and sell back the Armor at the vendors. If I get to 50k and I don’t have it, that Armor set never gets the upgrade,

The only amps which matter for combat are on barrels/hilts and armorings.

I'm pretty sure they come in two versions. High hp and low hp. This means it's pretty easy to find the ones you want.

So if you don't get the amp you want you don't leave it, you don't remove it, you get another armoring, stick it in on top and roll again.

Mods on the other hand come in dozens of versions so if you get a specific rare one and you don't get the amp you want then its going to be a while before you can find another mod to replace it and roll again.

However mod amps are non combat so you really won't die from not having the best version of the amp on it.

The only amps which matter for combat are on barrels/hilts and armorings.

I'm pretty sure they come in two versions. High hp and low hp. This means it's pretty easy to find the ones you want.

So if you don't get the amp you want you don't leave it, you don't remove it, you get another armoring, stick it in on top and roll again.

Mods on the other hand come in dozens of versions so if you get a specific rare one and you don't get the amp you want then its going to be a while before you can find another mod to replace it and roll again.

However mod amps are non combat so you really won't die from not having the best version of the amp on it.

I was obviously just testing on the pts to see just how F’d the amp system was. There is no way in hell I would do that live.

But in saying that, the slot machine mechanics is what drew me into spending that much on the pts because the costs go up by a percentage each time you spin the wheel, at one point I looked and it was 1 mill. The next it was 4 billion and I’d run out of credits.

That’s my major criticism of the amp system. It’s deadset gambling, not just RNG. There are no safe guards, there is no set price per roll, there is no reset each week, it doesn’t increase the odds of getting what you want after you’ve got the same crap amp multiple times. And it can be addictive to anyone who has penchant to gambling.

The mechanics are straight up slot machine. They are worse than loot box mechanics.

With that said, you also have the amplifier set pieces that have combat amps on the Armor set as well as having them available on the Armoring. This wasn’t such and issue when we could refund and buy again till you got what you wanted.

I’ve now got 1 and a half amplifier set drops and every single one has a green, unless amp. Anyone want to bet that’s by design to make you roll amps on the only set that really needs you too?

Edit : if you want a full set of crafting/gearing mods, there is still an avenue to gets those cheaply and not be dependent on the slot machine or random drops. It’s not an exploit, let me be 100% clear on that. But I’m not willing to publically post it because Bioware will likley nerf it the same as they nerfed the lvl75 refunds at the set bonus vendors,

Of course, you can’t use these in every day Armor or combat because they aren’t lvl 75. But if you just want fully optimised crafting sets, you can still do it. I’ve got one for every crafter and I switch them to use while in my strong hold.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I think one thing to definitely consider is keeping any good gold amp, regardless of if it applies to the toon you're currently gearing. For instance, when I get one of the armorings with the 471/409 stat allocations (best for non tank), I re-amp over n over until I get something good and gold (like Force Sensitivity, Tech Wizardry, Tech Healing and Force Healing - using this as a guide) then I strip it and keep it in storage. I figure it'll be nice when and if I gear up a healer, or my dps sage. I've even kept a few gold Periodic Intensity ones in case I decide to dabble in dot spreading.

But since I'm aiming for Tech Wizardry, and for anyone who is only concerned with gearing up 1 toon, I stop at 40k credits. The Hilts/Barrels should be easy to get plenty. So if you get to 40k cost for a re-amp, just store it an move on. Obviously, you should be locking in the highest as you go. So if you get a purple, .8% Tech Wizardy, lock it in, and keep going. If you get the gold 1%, great, but once I get to ~40k, I stop. Especially on hilts/barrels. They're easy to get imo. I just run the typical PVE content for drops when I have time. It's usually good for several barrels and few armorings per session - though I swear they nerfed the drop rates for 306 pieces since 6.0 dropped...

That said, the BiS armorings are not very commonly dropped... I have all gold 1% Tech Wiz except for two, a .8% and a .9%. Their costs are at like 100k per (having exceeded my own limit of 40k...) But im not gonna murder my savings for .3%. So when I get a good armoring (471/409) I'll try it again.. Sometimes I'll get a new armoring, and immediately get a gold amp like Force Sensitivity... so I personally feel compelled to strip it and keep it for my sage. But I'll still reroll a few amps after, just in case I get a Tech Wiz.

Eventually they are likely to come out with a consumable item that lets you re-amp for free. That'll help many folks, but until then, just be patient and stop around 40k (maybe 50k). Obviously lock in any amp that's better than your current. So at worst, you may have a few blue and purp amps with the correct modifier, waiting for new armorings to try again for golds.