The Shadow Tank is Back

Heezdedjim

* Personal shield generators are now effective against all attacks that deal Energy and Kinetic Damage, rather than just direct weapon attacks.

http://dulfy.net/2013/02/20/swtor-patch-2-0-patch-notespts/

I predict that in order to "balance" this change, the new bosses and encounters are going to feature a lot more internal and elemental damage. Now that shield actually matters again at endgame and works against all energy and kinetic attacks, I predict that the lack of massive armor rating will matter a lot less between the different tanks, and Shadow will once again rise to the top of the heap due to its strong shield potential and "superior internal and elemental resistance," which were its strong points back in the day.

Edited by Heezdedjim

"Shadow tanks are back"??

When we're they gone? My main is a healer and my 2nd is a shadow tank. Both are in BH/DG. I love healing for well played shadows and I love playing one.

While adding the F/T resistance is going to be nice, I don't see why you thought that shadows were not viable. Are you implying that they had poor mitigation or are "squishy"? Shadows have excellent damage mitigation cool downs and the self heals more than make up for the slightly less armor rating. My experience from both healing and tanking with the shadows is that "squishy" shadows are either improperly geared, improperly played, or improperly speced.

I agree the new skills are going to be a nice improvement, but I just don't get your title to the post and where you are comming from with that.

Also with removing the armor buff from the tank stance, meaning Shadows will now "tank" in the same light armor that Sage's wear.

Errr no?

They lose the talent bonus, meaning they will be using 215% the base armour count you're citing, which in the Arkanian gear (effectively columi) you have ~32% DR before talents.