How much DPS should a sniper be doing?

migzmando

My marksmanship sniper is in full blackhole setup (except belt is rakata, gloves/relic dreadguard, one relic from color crystals, every item has a purple +cunning augmentation)

2244 cunning

Damage (primary) 1061 - 1158

Bonus Damage 623.2

99.70% accuracy (109.70% tech attacks)

41.87% crit change

78.48% crit multiplier

My dps hovers around 1,4k in an average hm ops boss fight.

No matter what i try, can't seem to get it higher, i see some people claiming 1,7k dps parses on dummy, but i just can't get it past where i am now for some reason.

My marksmanship sniper is in full blackhole setup (except belt is rakata, gloves/relic dreadguard, one relic from color crystals, every item has a purple +cunning augmentation)

2244 cunning

Bonus Damage 623.2

41.87% crit change

78.48% crit multiplier

No matter what i try, can't seem to get it higher, i see some people claiming 1,7k dps parses on dummy, but i just can't get it past where i am now for some reason.

You have way too much crit I think. Even without the bonus you have around 39%, which makes me think you probably have a rating around 450-500.

Drop about 100-150 crit for power and you'll see a dps increase.

Also, parse on the dummy. You'll see how much blunt dps you do when unaffected by movement and such. Depending on which parser you use, 1,4k can be more or less a conservative number.

You have way too much crit I think. Even without the bonus you have around 39%, which makes me think you probably have a rating around 450-500.

Also, parse on the dummy. You'll see how much blunt dps you do when unaffected by movement and such. Depending on which parser you use, 1,4k can be more or less a conservative number.

...this. It is my issue as well. My crit was over 40. You want your crit to be around 30 base. You want your power to be around 1k. It's the reason in full rakata gear I can't get my dps above 1200. All the pieces have crit on them and that's only necessary to around 300-350 crit rating or 30%. Power and surge much more important once your at 30%. The trouble is, I want to retool my gear, but I'm so damn broke, and I'm not making any money except for dailies so it makes it hard for me. :(

As Full Lethality, back in live, I like my crit to be around 38%. So that coupled with the +12% talent, I end up with roughly 50% chance to crit on my DoTs :) But imo, 300 Crit Rating should be fine..

Assuming augment, and the +3 crit chance at the bottom of Lethality's tree, that would be roughly the end result of 300 crit rating.

I'm at 37.7ish with I think 305 of crit rating. Running MM I get a total of 36,7 % since I take the 3 points of Explosive engineering for a 31/8/2 spec.

Assuming augment, and the +3 crit chance at the bottom of Lethality's tree, that would be roughly the end result of 300 crit rating.

I'm at 37.7ish with I think 305 of crit rating. Running MM I get a total of 36,7 % since I take the 3 points of Explosive engineering for a 31/8/2 spec.

And if you want you can swap some mods around to adjust crit as well. When I run Hybrid im at 348 Crit Rating, Lethality 300 Crit Rating and MM 220 Crit Rating. These are roughly the numbers from what i've gathered in mmo-mechanics.

Edited by paowee

Actually, i have 381 Crit Rating, 402 Surge Rating and 511 Power Rating.

I have been moving away from Surge/Crit and stuffing more points into Power though.

Also, i'm using the SWMonitor ingame parser, tried using ACT, but never could get it to work, tried MOX parser, didn't like it for some reason.

Haven't tried any offline parsing since i was in Rakata (and Rakata was the best gear around) when i was doing 1,1 to 1,2k dps in a good fight (against a dummy)

Actually, i have 381 Crit Rating, 402 Surge Rating and 511 Power Rating.

I have been moving away from Surge/Crit and stuffing more points into Power though.

Also, i'm using the SWMonitor ingame parser, tried using ACT, but never could get it to work, tried MOX parser, didn't like it for some reason.

Haven't tried any offline parsing since i was in Rakata (and Rakata was the best gear around) when i was doing 1,1 to 1,2k dps in a good fight (against a dummy)

Ok, there is something strange here. I checked my exact stats on my sniper, and you should have more than that.

Currently I'm mostly in tio/columni, altough I used comms on two of my character to transfer a good itemnization of those, with one BH (gloves), 63 barrel and WH offhand.

My weapons help me, but I shouldn't be able to outdps a full rakata sniper assuming same rotation.

My stats are currently:

298 crit

1808 cunning (still unaugmented, its on tomorrow's planning :)) exostimmed

660 power

Crit % : 37,80

Bonus tech damage : 840

Surge rating : 340

Acc rating 178

Acc : 96,91 (without taking MM skill when prefering cull damage to it)

Crit damage : 77% (forgot decimals)

I have even with lesser quality mod more power/crit than you, so I'd suppose you have many low power/crit high cunning mods, maybe some high endurance enhencement (my hp is a few points shy of 17k buffed). I do have some level 40 augment that gives me 20 power 8 crit overall (the 8 crit is a level 23 augment =D) but you should still have more than I do.

I also just parsed and I hit 1485 on the dummy, altough i made a few minor mistakes energy wise on that spec (delayed a cull twice due to that, and one fired with CD running off after first tick)

So I'd say check your mods, 1st.

If its not that, check your spec (put it up there if you want us to check)

And lastly, it could be a rotation issue.

But from what I see, you probably have some not that good mods in there.

As said, I'm in tio/columni but used legacy gear to transfer over some mods, and the result was probably the sole min/maxed TIO sniper on my server when I hit 50 :p

EDIT

Edited the log for TORparse, so you can compare your % maybe.

http://www.torparse.com/a/157884/1/0/Overview

SOme note :

-my spec is a lethality/eng hybrid, exact spec being : http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bZrI0bRoZG0rkrMhd.2

-Pre-cast of Orbital strike, like I normally do on raid (tank countdown 4-3-2-1 where we all have fun preloading an attack) This is the explanation of the very high burst at start.

-slowed dps a tad bit near the end by delaying IP to time it with the poisons in prevision of combatexit.

-Parse is edited so last attack is effectively combatexit (changed time on combat exit to match)

-self-buffed with a universal buff (altholic power!)

-Exotech cunning stim on.

-No adrenals (altough I guess its rather obvious from the total lack of bump in the dps curve)

Also I do consider it, upon uploading a fairly lucky parse:

-High crit rate on ambush, no miss (slightly offset by OS and IP being a bit more stubborn tough, but still)

At any rate, I put that up there to show it is not just number out of my hair.

I found pure lethality to parse roughtly 100 dps behind this (I'm still at dummy run and SM ops with it, since I make too many mistake for my taste with it still) but the potential is certainly there. This is by far the best results I've seen with the gear level I have.

I'm very enthousiastic about seeing what the class can do, and I hope I'll be able to gear it fast enough to beat 2,0 going live with it.

Try to make one here, I'll parse pure lethality tomorrow night after work and you can check with your numbers how it compares.

Edited by verfallen

Well here is my speck.

I could drop Siege Bunker, it's pretty useless in almost every fight, ever, but don't really see any of the talents i could get being worth ~200dps i seem to be missing.

Here's the parse of my last ops.

adding orbital strike to my rotation might help a bit, if/when the fight stays in one place long enough to get more than 2 ticks in, which seems to happen, oh, about never.

As for mods, i might gain more power, and reduce some crit from switching mods around, but as i've gone mostly to high cunning mods, it would be a minor gain at best.

Having killed all the ops bosses on hardmode with my guild, i can't say i'm too worried about my dps.

But having read people talking about 1,7k dps on their snipers, i can't help but feel that hovering at 1,4k to 1,5k is not doing all i could for my guild.

Edited by Nyysjan
grammar, or lack thereof

Well here is my speck.

I could drop Siege Bunker, it's pretty useless in almost every fight, ever, but don't really see any of the talents i could get being worth ~200dps i seem to be missing.

Here's the parse of my last ops.

adding orbital strike to my rotation might help a bit, if/when the fight stays in one place long enough to get more than 2 ticks in, which seems to happen, oh, about never.

As for mods, i might gain more power, and reduce some crit from switching mods around, but as i've gone mostly to high cunning mods, it would be a minor gain at best.

Having killed all the ops bosses on hardmode with my guild, i can't say i'm too worried about my dps.

But having read people talking about 1,7k dps on their snipers, i can't help but feel that hovering at 1,4k to 1,5k is not doing all i could for my guild.

You are most likely around 1,6k on the dummy, based on your numbers.

Siege bunker can be nice, in some fights. In others, its a waste of 2 points dps wise that would be better off boosting your EP and OS.

As far as number goes, MM sniper damage IS less than Lethality.

A slightly harder hitting spec would be 25/16/0, basically more powerful orbitals, mostly MM but with EP being energy positive and a nice DoT to add. I've parsed 20-30 dps higher than pure MM with it, slightly behind lethality.

Your numbers will clear any HM content right now. Its hard to know accurately, I believe an ops dummy is a good way to check people's dps is good before trying to find an issue with raiding.

Also, MM can work OS in their rotation better than most. However some fight require you to be crafty about it. Ex: delay it on the horror to drop it on the adds, on the DG, heirad stay there, for max result drop it after ciphas's shield. On ciphas, wait till tank swap, and do it just after.

If you really want the "best dps" spec however, single target its not MM as of now. 2,0 seems to significantly buff it however.

As an exemple, pure MM with my current gear is only hitting 1280 on the ops dummy.

Guess I'll just brag/educate in this thread too, haha! :rolleyes:

MM Sniper is, IMO, a bit harder than the other two specs to perform well in. This is mainly because of movement and when **** hits the fan where you suddenly have to run around like a chicken you do almost no damage. The Hybrid and Lethality build at least have some dots going, it makes them more forgiving (on your dps) as long as you understand and take care of your energy levels.

The key to playing MM is knowing the fight. Minimize movement, maximize damage. Think ahead 10-30 seconds.

Search me up on Torparse.com for some of my logs, you'll see that it's not too shabby once you get it (mostly) right! :)

Click my sig for current build, perfect for MM and Hybrid.

Another thing, you can't compare torparse.com rankings directly. Tactics and how fast/smooth a boss is executed will greatly impact your own total DPS, for better or worse, the hundreds of DPS even if you do the same thing every time.

Edit: To the guy above, change your high Cunning mods/enhancements to low endurance types. It does have a great impact.

Verfallen is correct, the Hybrid is the highest DPS spec for Sniper.. Might be in 2.0 as well....... Too bad really :/

Edited by Svii

Guess I'll just brag/educate in this thread too, haha! :rolleyes:

MM Sniper is, IMO, a bit harder than the other two specs to perform well in. This is mainly because of movement and when **** hits the fan where you suddenly have to run around like a chicken you do almost no damage. The Hybrid and Lethality build at least have some dots going, it makes them more forgiving (on your dps) as long as you understand and take care of your energy levels.

The key to playing MM is knowing the fight. Minimize movement, maximize damage. Think ahead 10-30 seconds.

Search me up on Torparse.com for some of my logs, you'll see that it's not too shabby once you get it (mostly) right! :)

Click my sig for current build, perfect for MM and Hybrid.

Another thing, you can't compare torparse.com rankings directly. Tactics and how fast/smooth a boss is executed will greatly impact your own total DPS, for better or worse, the hundreds of DPS even if you do the same thing every time.

Edit: To the guy above, change your high Cunning mods/enhancements to low endurance types. It does have a great impact.

Verfallen is correct, the Hybrid is the highest DPS spec for Sniper.. Might be in 2.0 as well....... Too bad really :/

Someone is compilling various parse for all dps, and it seems it all balance very well, safe the hybrid PT/vanguards.

MM top parse is currently slightly above lethality, and close to the hybrid.

Even better, 46 skill points allow you to get BOTH FT and Cull, and it might be a very well rounded spec. At any rate, they greatly improved the mechanics around FT.

Someone is compilling various parse for all dps, and it seems it all balance very well, safe the hybrid PT/vanguards.

MM top parse is currently slightly above lethality, and close to the hybrid.

Even better, 46 skill points allow you to get BOTH FT and Cull, and it might be a very well rounded spec. At any rate, they greatly improved the mechanics around FT.

I'd just like to add that that parse had a lucky string of crits. :p If we can get more people to push Lethality it'd be curious what numbers that spec will end at. Im currently busy practicing Engineering :D And can't wait for the reset next week so I can come in and fight Dashroode, Titan and the Arena boss with a rotation other than hitting everything that comes off cooldown >_<

Edited by paowee

Svii even though it is the highest DPS spec for the Sniper, imo HM S&V's fights are too tailor made for MM. I am only able to run Hybrid for 1 out of the 7 bosses in S&V. And 2 out of the 7 imo is going to be dominated by MM (imo)

IMO

Dashroode = If you are on adds , MM :)

Puzzle boss = Hands down definitely MM for the puzzle phase before the actual boss fight Try it out for yourself :D

Last boss = Too many target switches. Constant resets. Adds that spawn and must be bursted down asap. A haven for MM Snipers.

Ofcourse if you can have yourself stay on the boss instead of doing adds, then Hybrid all the way. With the exception of Puzzle boss and Kell Dragon/Last boss. I've ran both MM and Hybrid spec in HM S&V (although only 3 times, with some SM here and there).

Council (Cartel Warlords) boss = I respec to Hybrid. It really shines in this fight.

Edited by paowee

No argument from me.

Don't take me wrong, I enjoy the numbers I get from leth/eng, but my prefered spec is MM. Much more "sniperish" and less of a sapper with a shiny gun. For solo PvE its also much more potent since the burn potential on a strong and its lackey far outshine the set up lethality need.

The one good point about lethality in solo pve, is when I encounter a mob that bust me out of cover with a smoke grenade, I very much enjoy the whole "really? Tell me more about it. *cull*" part of it.

Come 2,0 I'll parse it again, and chance are I'll revert to full MM or an MM hybrid. Altough 23/0/23....mmmm.

Still, if full MM ends up being within 50 dps of the hybrid, I'm sold. The burst, the easy target switch and easier energy management are all very attractive...

And again, heck you actually FEEL like a sniper.

Svii even though it is the highest DPS spec for the Sniper, imo HM S&V's fights are too tailor made for MM. I am only able to run Hybrid for 1 out of the 7 bosses in S&V. And 2 out of the 7 imo is going to be dominated by MM (imo)

I love your 2.0 thread, stalking it :)

Not going to make an effort on 2.0 PTS just yet, it's a month away.. I hope.. So I'll just say that the most important thing for now is to know as much as possible about yourself and what (boss) you're facing. DPS-meters will always be e-peens, but if you can pull through before enrage it's all good, it's a team victory after all! :)

Just want to say one thing.. After playing Sniper since beta, I'm still enjoying it! Hell, I even made an Operative and the story was even better this time around.

Running the hybrid specc and my gear is 60% Blackhole/Campaign and 40% Dreadguard/Hazmat, here is my latest parse that I made for a guide for my guild: http://www.torparse.com/a/155749/1/0/Overview

Nice parse.

I see you did it on fleet, too lol.

Your crit was rather high tough. Lucky streak or running a crapload of it?

And might help the OP to mention itemnization etc.

Nice parse.

I see you did it on fleet, too lol.

Your crit was rather high tough. Lucky streak or running a crapload of it?

And might help the OP to mention itemnization etc.

Yea I used the one I did on fleet since if I would link a bossfight, it wouldn't help OP as much since almost all bossfights are different in terms of jobs/positioning/AoE and other stuff. Regarding crit, when running the hybrid you need about 40% to have a healthy energy regeneration since the specc is very heavy on your energy management, more crits = more energy. Na it wasn't really a lucky streak nor did I do a crapload of parsers, it would say that I am normally around that amount of crit, give or take a few %.

Stats I am aiming for:

300 Surge

346 Crit

300 Accuracy

and rest of the points I have placed in power, I am also using the Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Age as well as the Dread Guard Relic of Dark Radiance, also used Exotech Stim/Adrenal as well as all buffs, farmed all datacrons etc.

Yea I used the one I did on fleet since if I would link a bossfight, it wouldn't help OP as much since almost all bossfights are different in terms of jobs/positioning/AoE and other stuff. Regarding crit, when running the hybrid you need about 40% to have a healthy energy regeneration since the specc is very heavy on your energy management, more crits = more energy. Na it wasn't really a lucky streak nor did I do a crapload of parsers, it would say that I am normally around that amount of crit, give or take a few %.

Stats I am aiming for:

300 Surge

346 Crit

300 Accuracy

and rest of the points I have placed in power, I am also using the Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Age as well as the Dread Guard Relic of Dark Radiance, also used Exotech Stim/Adrenal as well as all buffs, farmed all datacrons etc.

Get that ship dummy asap :p

So much better while parsing. Less lag, peace & quiet, and you avoid having other people and their debuffs with you.

Just did a new parse with a week worth of BH pieces, still lacking the relics, and my current crit is higher than what I normally put, (356) in prevision of swapping the BM relic that gives me 61 crit/surge for DG BA or internal proc one, and I have go agree the extra crit is nice on energy. Might aim for 350 running Leth (thats pre-2,0 I guess tough) min/maxed.

2244 cunning

Bonus Damage 623.2

41.87% crit change

78.48% crit multiplier

Pretty much full 61, you should be doing ~1.7-1.8k, fully optimized raiders would put parses up at 2k. And yes you have too much crit, a little too much surge, pull a few crit modifications, 1 surge one, and put in some power.

Pretty much full 61, you should be doing ~1.7-1.8k, fully optimized raiders would put parses up at 2k. And yes you have too much crit, a little too much surge, pull a few crit modifications, 1 surge one, and put in some power.

Not sure full MM currently can do 2k in BH.

Its above sorc I'm fairly sure but below arsenal merc and leth and leth/eng.

So i's say 1,7k sounds alright.

Edited by verfallen