New Teaser for 'The Mandalorian'

Eiter

OK, everyone's probably seen it, but since I couldn't find any posts here... Here it is. Looks very nice.

Everyone: ~freaks out over the inclusion of cabonite frozen targets~

Me, playing a bounty hunter in SWTOR: ~literally has that stuff on a spraycan~

Meh, still not interested in the least.

I'll probably check out the first few episodes but I'm not optimistic, despite Filoni being involved

Its not just Filoni, also Taika Waititi and Jon Favreau, two very talented people. Filoni is an excellent storyteller and with Favreau I think could provide the same quality oversight that made Feige and the MCU so successful, arguably more successful than the rest of the live action Star Wars stuff the last few years.

I'm optimistic about the series. I loved Clone Wars and Rebels, and I'm a fan of Westerns like High Noon, Silverado, and the TV series The Rifleman. But I just haven't had the time to watch Resistance beyond like the 4th episode, so I'm hopeful The Mandalorian will keep me entertained enough until the Marvel series' hit D+.

Its not just Filoni, also Taika Waititi and Jon Favreau, two very talented people. Filoni is an excellent storyteller and with Favreau I think could provide the same quality oversight that made Feige and the MCU so successful, arguably more successful than the rest of the live action Star Wars stuff the last few years.

I'm optimistic about the series. I loved Clone Wars and Rebels, and I'm a fan of Westerns like High Noon, Silverado, and the TV series The Rifleman. But I just haven't had the time to watch Resistance beyond like the 4th episode, so I'm hopeful The Mandalorian will keep me entertained enough until the Marvel series' hit D+.

The problem I'm seeing so far that has me so pessimistic is everything I've seen so far (not much admittedly) is focusing so much on the setting and action, but so little on the character of the titular Mandalorian. Considering how close we are to release, this seems concerning (I mean, have we ever even heard him speak yet?).

Of course, this could be some marketing guy trying to be all mysterious, which is why I'll give it at least a few episodes to see if it reveals some interesting characters. I'm just not at all excited about what we've been shown so far.

This looks awesome.

The short clip that got released, looked great too.

I am over the new trilogy, but this looks very good. The people working on this project are incredible.

Dave Filoni really cares about the brand.

Edited by kirorx

Hmmm. not sure what to make of this at this point, doesn't show enough of what it means to be a Mandalorian. I find it hard to believe only one person from Sundari on Mandalore would be enough to create a complete impression of what a Manalorian is about. The most recent impression from the clone wars is quite skewed in a lot of ways that matter because deathwatch, while they are unofficially considered mandalorians are infact terrorists and it was made even more a joke when Maul overtook the group from Pre Vizla, turning what little image and notority about the group from tough brutal warriors to a gang of killers for hire to the strongest leader.

I often wonder what the official take is on this most elusive part of star wars lore regarding what Manalorians are like. I'd give it a watch when possible and make some sort of impression about it at that point.

Hmmm. not sure what to make of this at this point, doesn't show enough of what it means to be a Mandalorian. I find it hard to believe only one person from Sundari on Mandalore would be enough to create a complete impression of what a Manalorian is about. The most recent impression from the clone wars is quite skewed in a lot of ways that matter because deathwatch, while they are unofficially considered mandalorians are infact terrorists and it was made even more a joke when Maul overtook the group from Pre Vizla, turning what little image and notority about the group from tough brutal warriors to a gang of killers for hire to the strongest leader.

I often wonder what the official take is on this most elusive part of star wars lore regarding what Manalorians are like. I'd give it a watch when possible and make some sort of impression about it at that point.

You haven't seen Rebels I take it?

We see much more "traditional" Mandalorians there.

At this point, I'm not sure we should be expecting any sort of deep-dive into Mandalorian culture. The series looks to have a strong Western vibe, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a 'Man With No Name' sort of situation / trope, where the main character is simply widely known (maybe even only known, even to close allies and the audience) as "The Mandalorian" as part of his mystique / notoriety -- the way, for example, the main character in the Western-influenced El Mariachi / Desperado / Once Upon A Time In Mexico trilogy is only known as "El Mariachi".

Heck, it may end up being the case that he's not even a "real" Mandalorian, but is just known as that because he uses Mando armor and weapons.

You haven't seen Rebels I take it?

We see much more "traditional" Mandalorians there.

Nothing from a main point of view with tid bits about scattered groups and what little culture there is and Sabine isn't an actual Mandalorian. have you actually been paying attention to what you actually seen in rebels i take it?

At this point, I'm not sure we should be expecting any sort of deep-dive into Mandalorian culture. The series looks to have a strong Western vibe, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a 'Man With No Name' sort of situation / trope, where the main character is simply widely known (maybe even only known, even to close allies and the audience) as "The Mandalorian" as part of his mystique / notoriety -- the way, for example, the main character in the Western-influenced El Mariachi / Desperado / Once Upon A Time In Mexico trilogy is only known as "El Mariachi".

Heck, it may end up being the case that he's not even a "real" Mandalorian, but is just known as that because he uses Mando armor and weapons.

That is my concern right there so thanks for spelling it out in greater detail. I'd like to think it would be about a group of mandalorians and their way of life, and not because as you said, it is some guy in a suit causing trouble and everyone around him thinks him to be a Mandalorian.

Nothing from a main point of view with tid bits about scattered groups and what little culture there is and Sabine isn't an actual Mandalorian. have you actually been paying attention to what you actually seen in rebels i take it?

How is Sabine not a Mandalorian? She's a member of Clan Wren, part of House Vizsla, grew up on Mandalore, and was trained by Mandalorian Protector Fenn Rau (in addition to whatever Mando training she received prior to or concurrent with her Imperial Academy training).

On the topic of the trailer itself -- I think it looks great and I'm very excited for this series. The production value alone looks amazing for a series, the trailer looks like it could be showing scenes from a AAA movie. Plus it looks like they've got a lot of fantastic talent involved both on screen (Carl Weathers, Giancarlo Esposito, Werner Herzog) and behind the scenes (Dave Filoni, Jon Favreau, Taika Waititi (who is directing at least one episode in addition to playing IG-11)).

How is Sabine not a Mandalorian? She's a member of Clan Wren, part of House Vizsla, grew up on Mandalore, and was trained by Mandalorian Protector Fenn Rau (in addition to whatever Mando training she received prior to or concurrent with her Imperial Academy training). .

Alright ask the creators to put her with Clan Wren for every episode of Rebels and have them focus on her and her clan for most of the episodes.

I know i read up in the past that the creators didn't think of Sabine as an actual Mandalorian, but rather an outcast with training who'd rather tag places than do anything strictly mandalorian, and based on her behavior. Again without a baseline as to what a typical Mandalorian is like without the threat of death hanging over their heads, i got no way of knowing if Sabine's behavior even fits with Mandalorian psychological norms, whatever they maybe. You tell me, is she really a Mandalorian in heart and spirit?

Alright ask the creators to put her with Clan Wren for every episode of Rebels and have them focus on her and her clan for most of the episodes.

I know i read up in the past that the creators didn't think of Sabine as an actual Mandalorian, but rather an outcast with training who'd rather tag places than do anything strictly mandalorian, and based on her behavior. Again without a baseline as to what a typical Mandalorian is like without the threat of death hanging over their heads, i got no way of knowing if Sabine's behavior even fits with Mandalorian psychological norms, whatever they maybe. You tell me, is she really a Mandalorian in heart and spirit?

Okay, I think I follow -- you're saying she's not an example of a 'typical' Mandalorian, so looking at her doesn't give the audience a real sense of what it means to be Mandalorian? She's not simply an archetypal Mando. I agree with that, there's a lot more to the character than her being an answer to "What are Mandalorians like?".

I also agree that we haven't gotten a 'clean' in-depth view of what Mando culture is like in the new Canon, the way it was laid out in some of the Legends novels, but I think a pretty robust picture can be pieced together between the Deathwatch stuff in the Clone Wars and the Mandalorian Protector and Clan Wren stuff in Rebels Seasons 2 through 4.

Edited by DarthDymond

Okay, I think I follow -- you're saying she's not an example of a 'typical' Mandalorian, so looking at her doesn't give the audience a real sense of what it means to be Mandalorian? She's not simply an archetypal Mando. I agree with that, there's a lot more to the character than her being an answer to "What are Mandalorians like?".

I also agree that we haven't gotten a 'clean' in-depth view of what Mando culture is like in the new Canon, the way it was laid out in some of the Legends novels, but I think a pretty robust picture can be pieced together between the Deathwatch stuff in the Clone Wars and the Mandalorian Protector and Clan Wren stuff in Rebels Seasons 2 through 4.

Yeah, it muddies the water somewhat. a nice clean example of what Mandalorians are like would give the basis on where everything else fits. If this Mandalorian series shows all that stuff that Mandalorians get up to and fits with the stuff in Rebels and the clone wars without the pressure of outsider forces altering their behavior, then you have a point there, because you'd have a baseline to work from and if Deathwatch and Wren follow that then i'd have no counter point.

At this point i just can't really tell between the Deathwatch, Clan Wren and anyone else along the way. there isn't a great deal of consistency in their behavior and Sabine throws another question mark into the gears as her behavior is contradictory to the values and the types of people the Mandalorians you'd expect and being so young with non-mandalorians, it would alter her behavior and consequently her place as a Mandalorian, assumng she was one from the start.

Citation need. It is explicitly stated in the show that Sabine is a Mandalorian from a long line of Mandalorians.

Besides, what makes you think all Mandalorians have the same "norms" or fit the same stereotypical mold? Real cultures don't work that way, and only the most boring and one-dimensional of fantasy cultures work that way. Mandalorian culture from the old EU certainly didn't work that way. It was very diverse, even outright contradictory.

Citation need. It is explicitly stated in the show that Sabine is a Mandalorian from a long line of Mandalorians.

Besides, what makes you think all Mandalorians have the same "norms" or fit the same stereotypical mold? Real cultures don't work that way, and only the most boring and one-dimensional of fantasy cultures work that way. Mandalorian culture from the old EU certainly didn't work that way. It was very diverse, even outright contradictory.

Haven't you read anything the previous few comments before you made this one up? Your citation you are asking for not even you have an answer to yet, i don't have an answer to yet either. We need a baseline example of what Mandalorians are like on any typical day without any concerns pushing them. Learning about all the cultural customs and everything else you seem so concerned with and what they are like as a person,., what drives then could be a lot different than what drives an imperial or an ordinary ciitizen, so their responses could be a lot different.

Wren, Sabine and all the others as you pointed out are contradictory and a piece of the puzzle is clearly missing as to what binds them together. Rebels didn't show enough because each episode isn't long enough and the threat of the imperials has changed their priorities. Deathwatch was contantly involved in fighting with a domineering leader, be it Pre or Maul, the overall Deathwatch troops didn't care, they fought and died with no consideration and when a group broke away to try save Satine and the like, there wasn't an explaination as to why.

If this Manadalorian series can fill in the blanks, you'll have your citation.

Edited by Celise

Haven't you read anything the previous few comments before you made this one up? Your citation you are asking for not even you have an answer to yet, i don't have an answer to yet either. We need a baseline example of what Mandalorians are like on any typical day without any concerns pushing them. Learning about all the cultural customs and everything else you seem so concerned with and what they are like as a person,., what drives then could be a lot different than what drives an imperial or an ordinary ciitizen, so their responses could be a lot different.

Wren, Sabine and all the others as you pointed out are contradictory and a piece of the puzzle is clearly missing as to what binds them together. Rebels didn't show enough because each episode isn't long enough and the threat of the imperials has changed their priorities. Deathwatch was contantly involved in fighting with a domineering leader, be it Pre or Maul, the overall Deathwatch troops didn't care, they fought and died with no consideration and when a group broke away to try save Satine and the like, there wasn't an explaination as to why.

If this Manadalorian series can fill in the blanks, you'll have your citation.

"I know i read up in the past that the creators didn't think of Sabine as an actual Mandalorian,"

That is what i want a citation for. Considering this is directly contradictory to what is in the show.

• 2 weeks later...

cannot. wait. for. this. show.

the action looks amazing, and i hope the story can live up to what i've seen so far.

did my eyes see a Twi'lek character, like an actual twi lek character in a live action star wars presentation?!?!

and Gina Carano...holy smokes!

Edited by Volcinar

• 1 month later...

I dislike all the services that are trying to grab some subscription $$. Netflix makes sense because they are an aggregator (lots of sources of content) but places like NBC are trying for their $15ish too. I think they'll find they saturate the market as consumers have to decide which to get and which to give a pass, with each company making less as a result.

Sigh. So it's with that background that I find Disney has enough offerings I am tempted. Strictly speaking they are not an aggregator but they have a lot of stuff, including a lot of things like SW that they bought. I'll probably end up trying them in November and if I like the shows, I'll keep paying, at least for a while.

Random musings: So I always rolled my eyes ( / crossed my fingers that they wouldn't go that route) at all the "Rey is gonna be Luke's daughter", "Finn is gonna be Lando's son", etc. theories that were knocking around before TFA released -- but with the Mandalorian, I wonder if LucasFilms might actually pull the trigger on something like that.

I could see them doing a "bounty hunting is the family business" twist and have Temuera Morrison show up in the last episode of the season as the Mandalorian's father as the hook for S2.