Preview items from the new packs... ALREADY ??

Gamesux

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contribute of course, to a point. My contention has nothing to do with the people "doing the work" or what they're doing. It's with the apparent sense of priorities and investments. It's not difficult to get a reasonable sense of some things without being on the ground at a company. A lot of indicators are pretty common across biz sectors and easy to read.

What the heck are you talking about?

EA is a business. SWTOR is a component of that business. EA has to run SWTOR in a manner that makes it profitable. If they find themselves unable to do that, they will close the game.

Since SWTOR is a software product / service, it follows the rules that all software products & services follow. It's sort of like physics. No matter how much you wish for it, no amount of wishing will make the developers able to produce perfect code, nor make graphics artists able to fix software defects, nor solve world hunger.

No. I never said they were.

But gamers should always be at least aware of development realities whenever they make demands or ask for fixes or question why some actions were taken. If you choose to ignore them or simply lack the understanding to see them, then you're very likely to end up coming to the wrong conclusion.

And that happens on this forum.

A lot.

In most cases, you don't need to be a developer to understand them. A little bit of common sense is enough. In other cases, common sense should at least tell you that you lack sufficient knowledge to make the judgment you were about to make.

For instance: the example above of the poster claiming that creating a new texture would take longer than fixing a bug (even if the bug is a bad texture). He doesn't have any experience to confirm that. He doesn't know the cause of the bug. He doesn't know how to fix the bug. He probably doesn't know how textures are made, and I doubt he's ever written a line of (actual) code. However, he happily made that statement, despite his lack of knowledge, then ignored someone who tried to correct him.

He's clearly unaware with testing cycles and configuration management and build mechanics and integration schedules. And no, he shouldn't need to be. And no, those things are not the only answer. There are also things like prioritizing work and organizing teams to adapt to problems, and those are things that Bioware can and should be controlling. Code quality and QA procedures play a strong part, too.

Again: the point isn't that development realities answer all questions. But when you ignore them or just make up your own facts about them, you're pretty much guaranteed to be wrong.

I get what you're saying. I often seem to spend more time evangelizing or explaining things to other disciplines who shoot from the hip or talk decisively when they don't know what they're talking about than not.

It's funny because it's most likely true.

All you fanbois should definitely keep your heads stuck in the sand. Keep telling yourselves that there's nothing wrong with the fact that far more importance is placed on updating the CM with ****** items (ofc it doesn't really matter how appealing the items are, they're still CM exclusive) and not on fixing things that are broken or actually adding new content. Then, when there's noone left for you to rp with, or struggle through a hm fp with, you can cry about why everyone left.

And fyi, you don't need a sub to post on the forums, so **** with your "You're here posting so you're paying so deep down you're actually satisfied with the game" bs.

/QFT

/Agree

if EAware cannot regularly update their game with new content, subscribers will keep getting lost and then this game will not be profitable and will be more poorer quality then it already is and will be shutdown faster then SWG was.

Edited by Gamesux

The only thing I can do is laugh a bit. I think irony is the wrong word. Let's just say you have no idea.

No one hires or contracts developers? The guys/girls doing the in-game development do everything related to budgets and resource allocation? Set all the goals and measurements, strategies, etc. too? Lol ok.

...and again, you show that you don't have any experience with software development.

When you find a process that doesn't deliver bugs to production environments, let the world know. People way smarter than you have been trying to figure it out for 40 years.

Oh I have plenty but that's not really relevant here, as I'm not the one ignoring bugs for months on end.

What the heck are you talking about?

EA is a business. SWTOR is a component of that business. EA has to run SWTOR in a manner that makes it profitable. If they find themselves unable to do that, they will close the game.

Since SWTOR is a software product / service, it follows the rules that all software products & services follow. It's sort of like physics. No matter how much you wish for it, no amount of wishing will make the developers able to produce perfect code, nor make graphics artists able to fix software defects, nor solve world hunger.

Nice rhetoric. It sounds like what a college freshman would say after their first biz 101 course.

And wishing for perfect code, etc. isn't what I'm saying, maybe you're confusing me with someone else.

Nice rhetoric. It sounds like what a college freshman would say after their first biz 101 course.

And wishing for perfect code, etc. isn't what I'm saying, maybe you're confusing me with someone else.

You might think that if you've never worked in the industry, sure. I can see how you'd think that.

Anyway, what exactly are you saying? You'd like them to do things they haven't prioritized? Anything beyond that?

No one hires or contracts developers? The guys/girls doing the in-game development do everything related to budgets and resource allocation? Set all the goals and measurements, strategies, etc. too? Lol ok.

People do that all the time. What does that have to do with development difficulties being a roadblock? And I'm sure why you are bringing up budgets and finance. That's not a developer or programmers job. This conversation is abot them.

I don't think you even understand what you are getting at.

You can hire 1000 contractors (which is a bad way to fill in critical resource gaps to begin with) and that doesn't make development challenges any easier. It just gives you more bodies to shuffle around the office.

I think this whole "software development 101" rhetoric from the apologists is the new FOTM defense mechanism, guess 'entitled' and 'if you don't like it then leave' arguments were nerfed

Or people have unrealistic expectations at times and some clarification is needed to ease their bewilderment at how things can work.

But Logic must be a "Fanboy" or "Biodrone" FOTM defense too.

Edited by Tygranir
grammar

You might think that if you've never worked in the industry, sure. I can see how you'd think that.

Anyway, what exactly are you saying? You'd like them to do things they haven't prioritized? Anything beyond that?

This is the EXACT same conversation we already had with these folks. They don't know how the real world works and its borderline pointless to try and convince them...

I know you know. And I know how painful it is to read some of these comments. I just want to do one giant facepalm after another.

This is the EXACT same conversation we already had with these folks. They don't know how the real world works and its borderline pointless to try and convince them...

I know you know. And I know how painful it is to read some of these comments. I just want to do one giant facepalm after another.

I'm sure the 1.2 million plus unsubscribers do the same thing when they read posts from the defenders :)

Edited by Gamesux

People do that all the time. What does that have to do with development difficulties being a roadblock? And I'm sure why you are bringing up budgets and finance. That's not a developer or programmers job. This conversation is abot them.

You can hire 1000 contractors (which is a bad way to fill in critical resource gaps to begin with) and that doesn't make development challenges any easier. It just gives you more bodies to shuffle around the office.

It actually makes it harder on a project like this. You aren't writing some generic, simple, web application. You're writing a highly complicated, highly interdependent, huge piece of extremely customized software. There is significant ramp-up time for any new developer, no matter how experienced, you bring into the team.

Even if they could get the budget from EA, BioWare couldn't just go out and hire 10 developers / contractors with relevant technological experience to squash the bugs in a month. It just doesn't work that way.

Edited by DarthTHC

Haha there's a transparent ol' face-saving fallback. What I'm talking about transcends specific industries, but I'm sure you already understand that already.

My point/questioning is easy enough to find. I'll let you reread if you're interested.

No actually, the conversation is broader and we're talking past each other. It appears there are development experts in the thread talking about what they know best but that doesn't mean the discussion need be limited to that.

No actually, the conversation is broader and we're talking past each other. It appears there are development experts in the thread talking about what they know best but that doesn't mean the discussion need be limited to that.

True, but it does need to be limited to the Thread Topic.

He already told you...you even quoted him. He thinks that whoever is prioritizing things seems to be wrong.

And I would fully agree. There seems to be zero sense of urgency from these guys, never has been...they seem content delivering the minimums. 1 Op a year (sure, DF and DP are technically 2, but even combined they're smaller than any other Op), 1 FP a year, 1 WZ a year, 1 Daily area a year, 2 maps with GSF (4 now)...the limited content being put out is trivial. The Cartel Market is thriving, while the game itself, the entire vessel of the Cartel Market, is seemingly left to stagnate.

I think those of us who are seemingly frustrated, are frustrated at the lack of commitment there appears to be to the actual GAME vs. the cash shop.

He already told you...you even quoted him. He thinks that whoever is prioritizing things seems to be wrong.

And I would fully agree. There seems to be zero sense of urgency from these guys, never has been...they seem content delivering the minimums. 1 Op a year (sure, DF and DP are technically 2, but even combined they're smaller than any other Op), 1 FP a year, 1 WZ a year, 1 Daily area a year, 2 maps with GSF (4 now)...the limited content being put out is trivial. The Cartel Market is thriving, while the game itself, the entire vessel of the Cartel Market, is seemingly left to stagnate.

I think those of us who are seemingly frustrated, are frustrated at the lack of commitment there appears to be to the actual GAME vs. the cash shop.

They gave you a road map of what is coming.

I looked back, but your point seems to be buried in such a mire of meaningless and uneducated text it's difficult to extract. Think you can write an "elevator pitch" for it? :)

How freaking rude. Joe is never anything but courteous and kind to everyone...this reply sickens me.