Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Luhrsen
03.06.2012 , 03:36 PM | #521
Quote: Originally Posted by Suaine View Post
Does that video have spoilers for the game?
It has the leaked video for m/m romance with Kaiden.

Silthir
03.06.2012 , 03:38 PM | #522
Quote: Originally Posted by Luhrsen View Post
It has the leaked video for m/m romance with Kaiden.
M/M with Kaidan?! YAY! <3

Suaine
03.06.2012 , 03:54 PM | #523
Quote: Originally Posted by Luhrsen View Post
Spoiler
On the one hand, that's pretty great, on the other just saying that is a spoiler XD
We have to create the future, or others will do it for us. We have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will?
~ Susan Ivanova, Anla-shok Na, space bisexual

Uluain
03.06.2012 , 04:02 PM | #524
Quote: Originally Posted by sparklecat View Post
One of my questions which, unfortunately, I don't think they can answer is "which currently romanceable companions will become available?"
They were quite plain yesterday that while this is obviously something they know (because it is being written, and they know who they'll need for the voice work) it is not a question they are going to answer.

So no, I think we need to be courteous on our end and not ask who, when plainly that is something they really want to hold in reserve and announce when this content is ready to launch.

They know we want to know who. They'll tell us when they want to.

"How" is still a viable question, in the sense of knowing "If I level my BH to 50 and progress Mako's story as far as I can and she becomes available for same-gender romance will I need to reroll to access that content?" So ask that by all means.

But we know a lot more today than we did last week, more than "when" certainly. We know that we will have options with existing companions and not need to wait for those we'll meet post-50. That was a wonkiing bif question mark until yesterday.

We know this is with the writers just now, and that they are developing the same-gender content with its own particular story arcs, not just a pronoun flip, and that the time it will take is the time it takes to be done well.

They even touched breifly on why they had not answered sooner - they were blindsided by the demand for the information, and then they were not sure how to respond. When they did, it was by having looked at what kinds of questions we had and answering what they could - or, in the case of which companions, what they want to reveal now.

So yes, let's look at what we don't yet know but would like to, but I think that this was the only big, fat info-dump we should expect until later this year when the new story content is ready for release.

And while I would say that out cage-rattling was certainly effective, I don't think we should necessarily continue with the same zeal. By all means, ask any questions you like in the Q&A, but I think we really can calm down a bit.

We have a good, meaty chunk of information. I myself will likely be asking about other things.

Jenovan
03.06.2012 , 04:18 PM | #525
Ulain, that's a good caveat on the "which companions"; it's pretty clear, from what I've seen reported, that they don't intend to reveal this any time soon. It is, I think, still information that a lot of folks want to know -- but it doesn't have to be something hammered on.

I would agree with the couple of calls since yesterday to give the team some peace and quiet for a little while; this was some good info, and it's possible that if they're at the writing stage, they don't have a lot of the technical "how" firmly established yet. I got the impression that what they said indicates that they're aware of players' requests on this topic, though, so continuing to discuss it among ourselves seems fair game.

(Still dyin' for a replay of the video. Get on it, BW! )
Star Forge * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas

Holytoe
03.06.2012 , 04:28 PM | #526
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenovan View Post
So I've been thinking this over and the nitpick post a few posts back just reiterated to me why this might be important. (Hopefully meta-talking about the thread itself is on topic. XD)

How would folks feel about making a new, reorganized first post for this topic, and then asking the mods to close this one for good and redirect to the fresh one?

A new reorganized post could have our "mission statement" (i.e., desire for information, not implementation), with a bit of detail regarding things many of us would like to know (vague timeline, is it actually in work, current companions or no, etc.). It could also include a FAQ modeled on sparklecat's (maybe a little less flippant ) to try to head off rehashing of the same old stuff.

And of course, a place to put all the extant dev quotes (and possibly those interview quotes from the Doctors) would be good, too.

I think having first post more relevant to current discussion might save us a lot of repetition (not all of it, of course... and would serve as a point of reference for all those quotes and things. As far as who would actually post it, it might be most helpful if it was put up by someone who is fairly active in this thread and isn't planning to unsubscribe, in case it needs edits. (I'm willing to write a draft, as far as that goes, but I've had a similar "thread maintenance" job before and got screwed when my workplace blocked that site. >_> Don't want to run into that here.)

At any rate, just an idea to clarify *our* end of the communication. Thoughts?
Yes, supported.

For those choosing to do this, may I humbly suggest:
Spoiler
Life is a delicate negotiation. cake is a lie and this is all a figment of your imagination. And the sith code about passion... interesting...

Kharnis
03.06.2012 , 04:29 PM | #527
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Ah, okay. Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't sure, and trust me, I want SGRs in the game, but I wanted to be certain. Please take no offense to the question.
There's a well-known saying that goes, "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." There's a related saying (that I just made up, so all royalties come to me) that says, "It's better to ask a question and have others think you a fool than to remain silent and feel foolish."

Bottom line? Never be afraid to ask questions. The only people who'll look like fools and idiots are those who'll make fun of you for wanting to actually have accurate information before you come to a conclusion. I don't think there are any posters here who are pro-SGRAs who'll take offence from your question.
Proud member of "The Loose Canons" Cartel.
Fan Fics
Completed:
Ongoing:

Kaenna
03.06.2012 , 06:41 PM | #528
Well, I'm glad we got a response and it's about what I expected. Though I don't know if we'll hear anything else before they start hitting the conventions.

I hope we do as I'm still really torn about my characters and if I should play them, remake them or leave them alone. Some haven't gotten the the romance companions while others have. Sadly the ones I really really like have...
"When you risk pain or death for another, there is no truer test of
your beliefs and strength."
- Brianna

MusedMoose
03.06.2012 , 07:29 PM | #529
Some really good points here, everyone. Also very good to see discussion here is still going; this thread is the only one I visit regularly on the boards and I'd miss it.

As for questions to ask in the Q&As and so forth: I agree that we probably shouldn't ask what characters will be SGR options; I think that's something BioWare won't reveal until they're good and ready. Hell, they weren't good and ready to reveal that we're getting a story update until yesterday.

I do think that it's a good idea to ask about the mechanics of affection* and whether we'll be able to access SGRs with max-affection characters or if we'll have to reroll characters to get SGRs going from the start. That seems like the sort of thing they can figure out fairly early on, and if they're set on how it's going to work, they should be able to tell us.

Just speculating, of course, but the mechanics aspect seems like a question we're more likely to get an answer for, judging by previous Q&As.

Regardless of how it works out, I know I wouldn't want to hit 50, get the update, and only then have my characters' companions start opening up. It's a story thing for me. I'm just picturing all the stuff that Kira and my JK have done, all that remains in the storyline, and when Kira finally gets all cutely nervous and asks if my JK has feelings for her... My JK's reaction would be something like "Wait, after all the we've been through, now you're wondering if I see you as something more? ...shut up and kiss me."

*"Mechanics of Affection" would be a great album title.

Kioma
03.06.2012 , 08:07 PM | #530
Or a band name.

"Aaaand now.. Presentiiiiing... MUSEDMOOSE and the MECHANICS of AFFECTION!!!"
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::