Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Nozybidaj's Avatar


Nozybidaj
03.02.2012 , 06:27 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
Anyway you slice it, Bioware could of easily included same sex romances when the game launch but they CHOOSE not to do it...
That part I absolutely agree with. They could (and should) have included it for launch. As far as the founders of Bioware are concerned same gender romance content is part of the expectations of a Bioware game and the Austin studio has flat out failed to deliver that to us with SW:TOR.

The sooner they fix their mistakes the better it will be for everyone (those wanting the content can finally go enjoy the game, and it can quit being such a hot button issue on the forum).

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
03.02.2012 , 06:27 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
If you think otherwise then how come LGBT content was not put in at the beginning of the game? Would of been easier to do it at that time then try and come back later and put it in.....

The FACT that bioware did not put it in tells me they feel it does represent a smaller portion of their player base... Odds are EA or Lucasarts also had reservations of adding such content or Bioware was affraid of backlash by adding in such content on a huge IP and didn't want it to affect their sales...

Anyway you slice it, Bioware could of easily included same sex romances when the game launch but they CHOOSE not to do it...

I personally have no issue with such content in the game, but to stick your head in the sand and pretend that none of my explanations are valid is just living in a bubble...
So you know exactly what Bioware is thinking whenever they make any choice? LOL okay then.

Also, Stephen Reid, has stated that they recognize the LGBT community is not just a hand full of people but a very large section of their fanbase.

Tsumedai's Avatar


Tsumedai
03.02.2012 , 06:37 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
Lots of people plan to play characters who are purely Light Side or purely Dark Side, and so won't need the prompts for those choices. Never heard of anyone asking for that sort of toggle.
And this is the key point that the pro-toggle people need to understand. It doesn't matter how many times you say that you're OK with SGRAs being in the game. It doesn't matter how carefully you construct your proposal to give it the appearance of treating OGRAs and SGRAs equally. Because what matters is that it wasn't until the possiblity of SGRAs was raised that anybody started asking for a toggle at all. The fact that it's same-sex content - and only same-sex content - that provokes this reaction tells us everything we need to know.

Lurkz's Avatar


Lurkz
03.02.2012 , 06:38 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsumedai View Post
And this is the key point that the pro-toggle people need to understand. It doesn't matter how many times you say that you're OK with SGRAs being in the game. It doesn't matter how carefully you construct your proposal to give it the appearance of treating OGRAs and SGRAs equally. Because what matters is that it wasn't until the possiblity of SGRAs was raised that anybody started asking for a toggle at all. The fact that it's same-sex content - and only same-sex content - that provokes this reaction tells us everything we need to know.
This. Very this.

*returns to compulsively refreshing the Dev Tracker*
The Nightborn Legacy - Ebon Hawk - Aquillian Rangers
Captain Jaxx - Gunslinger || Caiden - Jedi Sentinel

...Holospectrum...

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
03.02.2012 , 06:39 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsumedai View Post
And this is the key point that the pro-toggle people need to understand. It doesn't matter how many times you say that you're OK with SGRAs being in the game. It doesn't matter how carefully you construct your proposal to give it the appearance of treating OGRAs and SGRAs equally. Because what matters is that it wasn't until the possiblity of SGRAs was raised that anybody started asking for a toggle at all. The fact that it's same-sex content - and only same-sex content - that provokes this reaction tells us everything we need to know.
Best post all the incarnations of this topic has ever had.

Tsumedai's Avatar


Tsumedai
03.02.2012 , 06:40 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
So you know exactly what Bioware is thinking whenever they make any choice? LOL okay then.

Also, Stephen Reid, has stated that they recognize the LGBT community is not just a hand full of people but a very large section of their fanbase.
Probably worth remembering David Gaider's response to a fan's objections to the bisexual romance options in Dragon Age 2:

Quote:
The romances in the game are not for "the straight male gamer". They're for everyone. We have a lot of fans, many of whom are neither straight nor male, and they deserve no less attention. We have good numbers, after all, on the number of people who actually used similar sorts of content in DAO and thus don't need to resort to anecdotal evidence to support our idea that their numbers are not insignificant... and that's ignoring the idea that they don't have just as much right to play the kind of game they wish as anyone else. The "rights" of anyone with regards to a game are murky at best, but anyone who takes that stance must apply it equally to both the minority as well as the majority. The majority has no inherent "right" to get more options than anyone else.

More than that, I would question anyone deciding they speak for "the straight male gamer" just as much as someone claiming they speak for "all RPG fans", "all female fans" or even "all gay fans". You don't. If you wish to express your personal desires, then do so. I have no doubt that any opinion expressed on these forums is shared by many others, but since none of them have elected a spokesperson you're better off not trying to be one. If your attempt is to convince BioWare developers, I can tell you that you do in fact make your opinion less convincing by doing so.

And if there is any doubt why such an opinion might be met with hostility, it has to do with privilege. You can write it off as "political correctness" if you wish, but the truth is that privilege always lies with the majority. They're so used to being catered to that they see the lack of catering as an imbalance. They don't see anything wrong with having things set up to suit them, what's everyone's fuss all about? That's the way it should be, any everyone else should be used to not getting what they want.
Full post is here, as well as the post it was made in response to.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
03.02.2012 , 06:42 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsumedai View Post
Probably worth remembering David Gaider's response to a fan's objections to the bisexual romance options in Dragon Age 2:



Full post is here, as well as the post it was made in response to.
Unfortunately as David Gaider has, as far as I know, nothing to do with TOR that's really only a quote of interest rather than indication.

Still, when I read it I frickin' cheered.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Nozybidaj's Avatar


Nozybidaj
03.02.2012 , 06:44 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsumedai View Post
Full post is here, as well as the post it was made in response to.
David Gaider is the best. I wish he had worked on TOR just so we could see him post here.

MoogleNut's Avatar


MoogleNut
03.02.2012 , 06:44 PM | #39
Well, it's almost 1am over here in blighty, I doubt my nephews are going to accept me mumbling "but I was waiting up for the Q&A" into my duvet as a valid excuse for not making their breakfast in the morning, so i'm off to bed.

Fingers crossed for something.

Tsumedai's Avatar


Tsumedai
03.02.2012 , 06:45 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Unfortunately as David Gaider has, as far as I know, nothing to do with TOR that's really only a quote of interest rather than indication.
Yeah, he's not part of the TOR development team. His point about BioWare having the actual numbers on the uptake of SGRAs in their other games carries over pretty well, though, IMO.