biochem adrenals are pointless? (numbers inside)

neuroid

I just ran some tests with biochem adrenals to see if they were worthwhile or not. What I found is that they're pretty pointless for the amount of effort it can take to make them. I'm going to share some numbers and I'd like to get your thoughts.

The test toon was a level 19, sith inquisitor, sorcerer (corruption). Click to see my talents. I ran two tests to see which Adrenal would benefit my healer the most, see the results for yourself.

Using "Battle Triage Adrenal" (Increases Force Power and Tech Power by 90 for 15 seconds.)

Dark Heal without "Battle Triage Adrenal"

AVG 392.6666667

Dark Heal with "Battle Triage Adrenal"

AVG 430.6666667

Net additional heal of 38pts over 15 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Using "Battle Efficacy Adrenal" (Increases Alacrity by 90 for 15 seconds.)

Dark Infusion without "Battle Efficacy Adrenal"

SUM 3185

Dark Infusion with "Battle Efficacy Adrenal"

SUM 3205

Net additional heal of 20pts over 15 seconds.

Additionally, there is a 3 minute cooldown on adrenals, so it's not like you can spam them back to back. The added benefits seem utterly negligible. Am I missing something? Is my math wrong? Why would any bother make these? I think BioWare needs to revisit the adrenals and make them either longer (45+ seconds) or increase the stat buff to a much higher figure. Thoughts?

Edited by neuroid
added talent tree

I never use adrenals tbh. I only have my rakata stim up all the time and thats it.

You gotta have your companions farming constantly if they are 'spammed' during ops. Anyway if you don't use them strategically during boss fights they are wasted, especially as a melee which I am lol

I just ran some tests with biochem adrenals to see if they were worthwhile or not. What I found is that they're pretty pointless for the amount of effort it can take to make them. I'm going to share some numbers and I'd like to get your thoughts.

The test toon was a level 19, sith inquisitor, sorcerer (corruption). Click to see my talents. I ran two tests to see which Adrenal would benefit my healer the most, see the results for yourself.

Using "Battle Triage Adrenal" (Increases Force Power and Tech Power by 90 for 15 seconds.)

AVG 392.6666667

AVG 430.6666667

SUM 3185

SUM 3205

Additionally, there is a 3 minute cooldown on adrenals, so it's not like you can spam them back to back. The added benefits seem utterly negligible. Am I missing something? Is my math wrong? Why would any bother make these? I think BioWare needs to revisit the adrenals and make them either longer (45+ seconds) or increase the stat buff to a much higher figure. Thoughts?

Bio chem is almost a waste of time these days. Very little money to be made unless you are selling WZ adrenals or Stims. PVE adrenals are a waste of time since the change

So that's the numbers at 19. What are the numbers like on a near optimal geared DPS from 535 power? I'd check, but the only time I use it is on sub 60% HM Kephess, so I'm busy watching other things. In my head it appears to be an extra 123 bonus damage, which is nothing to scoff at.

But I agree, besides that fight they are pretty useless unless you are under geared and propping yourself up.

i dont think 5 cast is enough to make a good estimation. You could do it five other time and have a different number with or without adrenal.

Also you said 90 alacrity gave you 20 more pt of heal for the same amount of cast, but alacrity doesnt affect how strong your heal will be only how fast it will be.

I agree on the point, but your numbers are not making sense to me, why would you use an alacrity adrenal? It slightly speeds up your cast/channel time, which doesn't seem to be a factor in your testing here. Your just straight comparing numbers in a very small sample size. Biochem adrenals aren't too bad, and the point made here is quite puzzling.

AVG 392.6666667

AVG 430.6666667

SUM 3185

SUM 3205

Lol. Dude, your average was 38 points higher. That means an extra 38 points on every heal within the 15 secondd b; Not just an extra 38 points total over 15 seconds. Now think about what that does at level 50 when a tank needs extra heals because he took a debuff he shouldn't have.

Edited by Typeslice

So that's the numbers at 19. What are the numbers like on a near optimal geared DPS from 535 power? I'd check, but the only time I use it is on sub 60% HM Kephess, so I'm busy watching other things. In my head it appears to be an extra 123 bonus damage, which is nothing to scoff at.

But I agree, besides that fight they are pretty useless unless you are under geared and propping yourself up.

to your point about the adrenals being useless - extra dps is extra dps. There is no reason you shouldn't be using them if you are biochem.

Edited by Typeslice

Bio chem is almost a waste of time these days. Very little money to be made unless you are selling WZ adrenals or Stims. PVE adrenals are a waste of time since the change

The right BH implants sell very well and people always need stims.

... There is no reason you shouldn't be using them if you are biochem.

Forgot to say I wasn't Biochem. By all means if you are you should be using your reusable one every cooldown (fight mechanics permitting).

Lol. Dude, your average was 38 points higher. That means an extra 38 points on every heal within the 15 secondd b; Not just an extra 38 points total over 15 seconds. Now think about what that does at level 50 when a tank needs extra heals because he took a debuff he shouldn't have.

I was just about to point that out :)

For those 6 heals the Triage adrenal gave you 228 extra healing over 6 casts. That is not an insignificant amount at that level as it works out at just under 2/3 of a non crit heal. Considering that you need to churn out stuff to increase biochem itself it seems worthwhile to use the adrenals you make or get hold of some for the really important fights where every edge counts.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

Adrenals and relics that need to be used are VERY useful, in limited situations.

Take for example the last boss encounter in Denova (EC), when you are fighting the Bombers or the Battlewalker, time is of the essence. Now, the trash in-between is no real issue and can be dealt with accordingly, but you need to take down the Bombers and Battlewalker as quick as you can.

The trick is not in the use, but in the timing. Then and only then, they make a hard fight a walk in the park.

well by yuor maths, its a 10% buff .. which of course wouldnt include any new skills that you will learn that may have a proc or crit increase. bearing in mind, you will get crit chance increases which will have proportional increases for the stim.

if you want to be 10% better, yea use em. If you dont, then dont.

i can tell you as a longtime 400 biochemist, that i have never made, used, or been asked for an adrenal. period.

i was a little upset when i looked at the black hole vendor and saw that they had added...................adrenal recipes..................................woohoo...........well, at least that's one less thing to save up for

Never used adrenals while leveling. Theyre dumb and a waste of resources better spent leveling through medpacs or stims.

At end game though, theyre ******. Its another awesome cooldown for your class. Specially if you make the neverending epics. They help... a lot! I always open up boss fights with my power relic and crit adrenal after the tank has had a few seconds for aggro (otherwise its a guaranteed pull). Usually by the end of the fight the CD is over and I can reuse. And thats if I forget to use them somewhere inbetween.

I loves my Biochem Rakata Power adrenal.

But I wouldn't bother with regular consumed on use ones on my non biochem characters unless a fight was really c**k blocking my guild.

Exactly, the reusable rakata ones are awesome and used all the time in boss fights.

The consumed on use ones are however, overly expensive to make for the vast majority of situations. Especially when you compare them to the stims. The resource requirements aren't that much different and they last

Edited by Infalliable

I too feel that the non-reusables don't warrant their cost. I use my reusable one during inspiration burn phases on my Guardian but never carry any on my Gunslinger, even though I can make them for myself. Just not worth the mats.

If you're a biochem: might as well make and use the reusable one, because why not!

If you're not a biochem: in a tight fight, that little extra boost could be enough to push you over the top. But man, they are EXPENSIVE if you use them frequently. The cost would need to come WAY down before I considered using them with any regularity...maybe if they were crafted in bundles of 10 for the current mat cost, instead of individual units?

Amount of effort it can take to make them? If you're biochem, RE them to purple (20% chance, only need to go from blue to purple) and they're reuseable. Make 'em once, keep 'em forever. (and heck, they don't even bind, so you can pass them around to alts)

I'll agree, probably not worth it for non-biochems. Definitely for bio-chems. Which is the whole point of why BioChem is flawed. Either the biochem restriction needs to be removed, or the reuseableness needs to be removed, or the "single use" ones need to be *far* cheaper to make per item. (presumably by cranking up the yield)

Either the biochem restriction needs to be removed, or the reuseableness needs to be removed, or the "single use" ones need to be *far* cheaper to make per item. (presumably by cranking up the yield)

Yeah, but we're already saying that for six month snow and nothing...

Either the biochem restriction needs to be removed, or the reuseableness needs to be removed, or the "single use" ones need to be *far* cheaper to make per item. (presumably by cranking up the yield)

They aren't going to remove the reuseables from the game or remove the restrictions. What they have said they are going to do is not include a reuseable version on future more powerful items being added to the game. Figure those will be put in either with the new op or at the very latest when they raise the level cap.

Now I completely agree that the yield needs to be much higher. A similar set of mats can either make a stim that lasts 2 hours or enough adrenals to last about 1 minute. Makes no sense and I have the same beef with medpacks.

This is one of those min/max classes of items where, if you finish a boss fight with 38 points of HP left, then you can thank your 38 points of marginal healing from the adrenal for making that a win rather than a wipe. Otherwise, yeah, they're a total waste. They do not deliver a benefit proportional to the time and mats needed to make them, which is why I also have never bothered with them. On top of that, with the monster lag spikes happening all the time in combat now, it's very likely that much of the run time on these will be completely wasted, since you're stunlocked by lag waiting for a chance to do anything after popping one. Edited by Heezdedjim

• 10 months later...
I agree, 15 seconds is not worth the matt cost. And they are somewhat pointless. I believe if they made the run time of the adrenal lets say 30 or ideally 60 seconds they would be of value. consumable Adrenals would have value, would sell and people would use them when in tough fights. 15 seconds is nothing.