Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

fushnchips's Avatar


fushnchips
06.14.2017 , 10:48 AM | #871
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Most of the game can be played with a ping that high, although to say "without any issues" may be stretching it.

Some parts of the game are very ping sensitive, though.

I do not PVP, so I can only imagine the disadvantage a player with a 300 ms ping would have when facing a player with a 50 ms ping, especially in ranked.

I would imagine that a 300 ms ping might make NiM OP's very challenging, if not nigh onto impossible, as well.
I cleared all Nightmare ops on 300ms so it's not a problem I know people that compete in ranked pvp on that rate to 300ms is nothing to worry about only when you are over 500+ that's when things start to get worrying.
Pineapple on Pizza for life

Free stuff for you and me click here : Refer a Friend

DWho's Avatar


DWho
06.14.2017 , 11:52 AM | #872
Quote: Originally Posted by fushnchips View Post
you seem to be one of those strange ones I'm speaking from personal experience about the ping something you have no clue about Rata but you love to get that word in that has no input in the matter just because I proved you wrong about ping issues you have to attack me and wasn't the previous thread purged due to attacks and so on wonder if it was you attacking people.
It was deleted because one person kept calling everyone who disagreed with him or had a different experience a liar. So to repeat what has been discussed and encourage discussion of additional topics, here is the list I have posted previously. The point of this is not to argue back and forth over which are important and which are not but to come up with a list of concerns the community has (no matter how small a population they represent) regarding server merges. It is then up to Bioware to decide which topics to put resources to, not us. I think we all agree that at some point there is going to be a merger (whether that be a limited one or a larger one) and there is no reason not to prepare for it. The order of presentation does not represent order of importance since everyone will value these differently.

1) Assuring guilds/guild assets can transfer intact
2) Assuring personal assets can transfer intact
3) Dealing with chat on large servers
4) Dealing with overlapping legacies
5) Other ways to deal with population concerns (Cross-server, designated servers, Free legacy transfers)
6) How to start the process when it becomes necessary
7) How to distribute servers/communities (keeping RP servers separate)

What 1) and 2) mean is that the player or guild doesn't have to do anything extraordinary (like emptying out guild banks or legacy banks or disbanding and reforming guilds)
Number 3) pretty much speaks for itself, the chat toxicity has to be reigned in whether there is a server merge or not.
Number 4) is a lesser concern but people who have extensive legacies on multiple servers will have a portion of their investment wiped away in a merger
Number 5) Are there ways other than mergers to correct the population imbalance in a way that both sides of the server merge debate can get some of what they want.
Numbers 6) and 7) are merger process related

Please comment on additional concerns that would arise from a merger that you have.

Adric_the_Red's Avatar


Adric_the_Red
06.14.2017 , 12:18 PM | #873
The primary concern I have is how many and which of my characters will be forced to change their names. This only happened to a couple of my characters in the first round of mergers way back when, but unfortunately, one of the ones that had a forced name change was my then - and still now - main. I'm still waiting to get "my" name back...

I have characters on multiple servers, several of which have "duplicate" names. If we have mergers, I'd need to go through and decide which "Joe" I'd want to keep that name, and whether I want to keep or delete the other "Joe" characters.

If I want to keep any of those other "Joe" characters, I'd have to rename them, and hope I don't have to rename them again after the mergers. And I'd still have to hope that there isn't some other "Joe" on another server where I don't have a "Joe", that will end up with "my" name after the mergers, and me being forced to rename him anyway.


Oh, and then there's the problem of character limits on the servers after the merger. (I'm sure I'm not the only person who has more than 50 characters across all servers). Would the per-server character limit go up? If not, what happens to the "extra" characters? Do they get left behind? Who decides which ones get "marooned"?
"Your deaths are useless if they do not inform". -- The Shroud
My referral link. Click for free stuff.

TyonYlle's Avatar


TyonYlle
06.14.2017 , 12:26 PM | #874
OKAY, I was postitive that I clicked "edit post" I am far too tired to function! But annnyway deleted because I done gone effed up editing my post, and made a new one by accident, my bad! ^‿^

TyonYlle's Avatar


TyonYlle
06.14.2017 , 12:30 PM | #875
Quote: Originally Posted by Adric_the_Red View Post
There's the problem of character limits on the servers after the merger. (I'm sure I'm not the only person who has more than 50 characters across all servers). Would the per-server character limit go up? If not, what happens to the "extra" characters? Do they get left behind? Who decides which ones get "marooned"?
I'm going to play the other side, for the minute. See guys, it's not that hard! If there was a merger, then BW will probably increase the character limit, at least, I think that's what happened last time?

HOWEVER, we're getting ahead of ourselves, and contrary to popular belief mergers aren't simple, no matter how much one wills for them to be.

Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Honestly, servers do NOT need to be separated. PvE, PvP or RP...they should all be able to coexist without any issue. Pretending they're separate is one of the greatest mistakes MMO designers make imo. Policing the community is how you ensure nobody is griefed, no matter what they do...that's an issue Bioware has failed to do since launch.
This is why we can't have nice things. \_ツ_/ All play styles should be able to coexist together, but they don't. And while some of that is on Bioware, at least half is on us, the players, and our maturity.

TyonYlle's Avatar


TyonYlle
06.14.2017 , 12:32 PM | #876
deleted.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.14.2017 , 12:58 PM | #877
Quote: Originally Posted by TyonYlle View Post
This is why we can't have nice things. \_ツ_/ All play styles should be able to coexist together, but they don't. And while some of that is on Bioware, at least half is on us, the players, and our maturity.
This forum has better moderation than the game itself does. You can blame players all you like, and I get where you're coming from with that, but it boils down to accountability and the lack of it IN-GAME. ONE week of cracking down on jackholes IN-GAME would go a LOOOOONG way in reducing it. There are very few people I've met in 5+ years of playing this game that have truly bothered me...even if the few bad apples lost their account, the good it would do would more than make up for it.

You credit us, the players, with 50% of it, and that's simply not true. It's 1-3% tops and it's because they are free to say and do whatever they like in-game, without any repercussions. 97-99% of this is directly on Bioware and their lack of policing the game itself.

I'm not asking Bioware to police every typed word, but the report function NEEDS to have weight behind it...right now, it has zero...and the online trolls know it means nothing and they abuse that knowledge, and Bioware's customers.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

TyonYlle's Avatar


TyonYlle
06.14.2017 , 01:08 PM | #878
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
This forum has better moderation than the game itself does. You can blame players all you like, and I get where you're coming from with that, but it boils down to accountability and the lack of it IN-GAME. ONE week of cracking down on jackholes IN-GAME would go a LOOOOONG way in reducing it. There are very few people I've met in 5+ years of playing this game that have truly bothered me...even if the few bad apples lost their account, the good it would do would more than make up for it.

You credit us, the players, with 50% of it, and that's simply not true. It's 1-3% tops and it's because they are free to say and do whatever they like in-game, without any repercussions. 97-99% of this is directly on Bioware and their lack of policing the game itself.

I'm not asking Bioware to police every typed word, but the report function NEEDS to have weight behind it...right now, it has zero...and the online trolls know it means nothing and they abuse that knowledge, and Bioware's customers.
Admittedly I was being a little too unrealistic, I just thought it would be better if is said "us" and "our", and, maybe I've been on YT too much it's starting to rub off haha.

It's times like these I wish the forum had a tagging feature, that way we could tag Keith/Eric, but then I have no doubt that feature would become abused.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.14.2017 , 01:20 PM | #879
Quote: Originally Posted by TyonYlle View Post
Admittedly I was being a little too unrealistic, I just thought it would be better if is said "us" and "our", and, maybe I've been on YT too much it's starting to rub off haha.

It's times like these I wish the forum had a tagging feature, that way we could tag Keith/Eric, but then I have no doubt that feature would become abused.
I understand

It only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

DWho's Avatar


DWho
06.14.2017 , 01:22 PM | #880
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I'm not asking Bioware to police every typed word, but the report function NEEDS to have weight behind it...right now, it has zero...and the online trolls know it means nothing and they abuse that knowledge, and Bioware's customers.
Personally I think a moderator would be the way to go but if there were also a penalty for falsely reporting someone (which of course is a stickier situation), the report function could be sufficient. I am for immediate action or at least the threat that there might be immediate action. One or two people booted instantly for "toxic" comments would go a long way to dissuading others from going in that direction.