Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

Any deco that came out of the cartel market cost CCs (cartel packs, direct purchases) which cost real money.
I'll give you that...but those should be able to be replaced by Bioware imo. I don't expect consolidation to not impact them...they obviously have **** to work out, but that's also why they get paid to manage the game.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apples and oranges. You're talking about player achievements, some of which have in-game impacts (like valor level). Those have all been worked out to move intact in our current system anyway...so...why use that as an example exactly? None of those are lost.

Decos can be replaced. Players can't.

1) Many decos cannot be replaced anymore, either due to extreme rarity or the fact they are literally unobtainable in the game at this point (Makeb Gazebo, anniversary decorations, etc.)

2) The point I was trying to make is that it's not fair to tell ME that what's important to ME doesn't matter just because it's not important to YOU. It's not fair to tell me that it's okay if everything that is important to ME will be sacrificed to benefit OTHER PEOPLE, when said other people aren't having to sacrifice anything of their own in exchange. Your logic seems to be "X is not important to me, therefore X is not important at all." Well, PvP isn't important to me; by your logic, it would be alright for me to advocate for PvPers to give up everything THEY have worked for to benefit ME. Yet somehow I think you would protest against me taking that stance.

Kriff, none of them even spent real money on PvP, whereas many decorators like myself have spent A LOT of real world money on those decorations you think aren't important! You say players can't be replaced? If all my work and investment in this game is taken away, I WILL QUIT, and I know a lot of people personally who will join me. We've already had in-guild and in-community discussions about the situation.

Edited by AscendingSky

Some of those "cosmetic items" had a real dollar cost not to mention the time invested in obtaining them. A lot of people for mergers seem to be of the opinion that what is best for them is best for everyone. There are in fact wrong in that assessment.

Then stay on your dead server with your cosmetic item, and when you are alone, you can spend hours looking at it. IT'S A DECO, GET A GRIP MAN!

2) The point I was trying to make is that it's not fair to tell ME that what's important to ME doesn't matter just because it's not important to YOU.

I don't care about anything else you wrote, but this set me off...I expressed MY opinion. MINE! Not yours, MINE. You are free to speak for yourself. I don't type for anyone but myself. IN MY OPINION, decos are the least important part of any merger. I don't care if NONE transfer...it's that much of a non-issue to ME. If you can express how important to YOU they are, allow me to express how little I care about them. My strongholds are literally decorated with Meat Trees...that's how little decorating matters to me.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm simply saying I don't care about decorations. 99% of them CAN be replaced, the people leaving because the servers are dead, can't be. Dead servers are a cancer, decos are cosmetic.

However...realizing that they are an issue to people like you, I'm perfectly fine with Bioware trying to figure out a way to move most, if not all of them, for people (as I said above).

Then stay on your dead server with your cosmetic item, and when you are alone, you can spend hours looking at it. IT'S A DECO, GET A GRIP MAN!

Would love to but in a server merger I don't get a choice

However...realizing that they are an issue to people like you, I'm perfectly fine with Bioware trying to figure out a way to move most, if not all of them, for people (as I said above).

I think that's a nice ending to this thread. All we can do now is wait and see what BW do, because at this point we're just attacking each other, everyone's getting worked up, and it's not doing anyone any good. We all should probably just leave this thread before someone gets a lightsaber through their gut. :p

I don't care about anything else you wrote, but this set me off...I expressed MY opinion. MINE! Not yours, MINE. You are free to speak for yourself. I don't type for anyone but myself. IN MY OPINION, decos are the least important part of any merger. I don't care if NONE transfer...it's that much of a non-issue to ME. If you can express how important to YOU they are, allow me to express how little I care about them. My strongholds are literally decorated with Meat Trees...that's how little decorating matters to me.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm simply saying I don't care about decorations. 99% of them CAN be replaced, the people leaving because the servers are dead, can't be. Dead servers are a cancer, decos are cosmetic.

Again, the point I am trying to make is just because something is not important to one person, does not mean it's not important to other people, or that it doesn't matter. There's a big difference between saying "Decorating doesn't matter to me personally," and "Decorations don't matter on the subject of server merges," okay?

Off topic about this Massively Multiplayer Online Game and full disclosure, I am not from the ME generation.

I do remember leveling new toons in version 1 to 4 and guild mates I just met giving me 100K or a full set of armor or relics or weapons and 22 mk-9 kits they crafted so I could hold up with them in RP HM OPS. 5yrs ago as F2P their behavior made me sub since then and I return the favor to deserving noobs.

If that's still important then lets get this merge sorted faster with more active and full guilds.

Edited by IntegrationArch

Off topic about this Massively Multiplayer Online Game and full disclosure, I am not from the ME generation.

I do remember leveling new toons in version 1 to 4 and guild mates I just met giving me 100K or a full set of armor or relics or weapons and 22 mk-9 kits they crafted so I could hold up with them in RP HM OPS. Then I return the favor to noobs.

If that's still important then lets get this merge sorted faster with more active and full guilds.

It still happens in most guilds. We maintain a guild bank full of Aug kits and Augs as well as other mods. Crafters in the guild are willing to craft gear for anyone who needs it (even the stuff that needs special components). HM content has moved almost exclusively into the realm of guilds. I am personally in 3 guilds with multiple toons in each and we routinely do story mode OPs for training and HM OPs for gear. We almost never use people out of Group Finder to fill out OPs teams. We instead go to associated guilds for additional members. The reason for this was that we had several bad experiences with people out of group finder (not the ones that were ill equipped or new to them - who are usually more than willing to learn) but the ones for who "time is money" (Similar to the "SPACEBAR" crowd in FPs). There is a lot of group activity going on in guilds that is not readily apparent to people using LFG and Groupfinder.

It still happens in most guilds. We maintain a guild bank full of Aug kits and Augs as well as other mods. Crafters in the guild are willing to craft gear for anyone who needs it (even the stuff that needs special components). HM content has moved almost exclusively into the realm of guilds. I am personally in 3 guilds with multiple toons in each and we routinely do story mode OPs for training and HM OPs for gear. We almost never use people out of Group Finder to fill out OPs teams. We instead go to associated guilds for additional members. The reason for this was that we had several bad experiences with people out of group finder (not the ones that were ill equipped or new to them - who are usually more than willing to learn) but the ones for who "time is money" (Similar to the "SPACEBAR" crowd in FPs). There is a lot of group activity going on in guilds that is not readily apparent to people using LFG and Groupfinder.

Time is money :) and for the space bar thing most people can go do a solo mode FP and view all the videos they want but sometimes in group content watching all the videos can actually be rude to the other players that's why I always suggest to watch it in solo mode or youtube in your own time.

After reading pages of swarm posts I just need to do a little summary of the role player types just so I understand....

RP'ers:

Infrequently participate in Operations, Flashpoints, PVP, GSF, & Events (maybe)

View people LFG on fleet as deplorable spammers

Prefer empty planets or their strongholds/guildships in which to conduct their role playing

Avoid Fleet at all costs

Have a die hard group of best friend guildies who have played faithfully since launch

Seems like this demographic of player is juxtaposed to a successful or healthy MMO in a traditional sense. As I've analogized before nobody wants to eat in an empty restaurant versus a full one and yet they immediately replied and backed each other up that they love empty restaurants. Funny thing is those restaurants that sit empty month after month go out of business.

My theory is that if they boiled 17 servers down to around 5 the game would be healthier & more MMO type players would return to the game because they can do group PVE/PVP and the RP'ers would still be here.

You are totally wrong.

My guild is a roleplay guild on Ebon Hawk but yet we constantly participate in Flashpoints, Operations and PVP. We just group up with each other because we know each other and know what each of us can do. You are making these stupid comments about something you have no knowledge. I do hope that people don't believe what you have spouted off on.

Just because roleplayers are smart enough to group up with their guild and/or friends doesn't mean they don't do group content. We do it just because we know who we are grouping up with.

Furthermore, if doing group pickups means we have to group up with someone like you, NO THANKS I think I pass and stay with the group I know and trust instead of someone like you.

To other: Sorry for my temper but people like this make me angry!

Edited by CommunityDroidEU

After reading pages of swarm posts I just need to do a little summary of the role player types just so I understand....

RP'ers:

Infrequently participate in Operations, Flashpoints, PVP, GSF, & Events (maybe)

View people LFG on fleet as deplorable spammers

Prefer empty planets or their strongholds/guildships in which to conduct their role playing

Avoid Fleet at all costs

Have a die hard group of best friend guildies who have played faithfully since launch

Seems like this demographic of player is juxtaposed to a successful or healthy MMO in a traditional sense. As I've analogized before nobody wants to eat in an empty restaurant versus a full one and yet they immediately replied and backed each other up that they love empty restaurants. Funny thing is those restaurants that sit empty month after month go out of business.

My theory is that if they boiled 17 servers down to around 5 the game would be healthier & more MMO type players would return to the game because they can do group PVE/PVP and the RP'ers would still be here.

Different people have different ways of playing and enjoying the game, just as people have different ways of interacting and being social offline. This is usually where someone will jump in and say, '...But it's MULTIPLAYER!" Yes, but multiplayer doesn't translate to, "groups and plays with other players, does PvP, joins guilds, etc." It just means existing in an online world with other players. One might wave at them, one might group, one might simply run a brisk business on the GTN, one might avoid all interaction altogether,

Frankly, a lot of the players I encounter in the game behave such that I have no desire to hang out with them. The crate ninjas and people who follow you as you clear areas, for one thing, are as annoying as heck. Even worse, the people who go on PvE servers like Ebon Hawk and try to get people to PvP.

There's also /cjoin "allies" I've seen many people using that to find groups, including OPs groups, heck even last week I did my first ever OPs. I don't really see the appeal in them, personally, but I understand why people like them. I prefer FPs myself, they're much shorter so I don't need to play for hours on end.

I've only just learned about the allies group, though, on this very forum, but I can't remember who mentioned it. There should also be a channel just for guild advertisements, now that would be awesome, and guilds won't need to feel up the chat. I don't mind guild advertisements personally, but I've seen people getting annoyed about it in gen-chat on the fleet.

Time is money :) and for the space bar thing most people can go do a solo mode FP and view all the videos they want but sometimes in group content watching all the videos can actually be rude to the other players that's why I always suggest to watch it in solo mode or youtube in your own time.

Yeah, I usually ask whether "we're watching or skipping'. Personally, I don't care if people watch, it just makes it a nice and relaxing run, but it's my hope that I'll make the "SB" crowd look like the impatient D. that they are. :p

Don't feed the troll. He has a clear discontent for roleplaying and is intentionally being an insensitive *** to make a point. This is the kind of player that would go into the RP instance for his own personal lols.

Yeah, kinda just proved why an "RP instance" won't work.

Yeah, kinda just proved why an "RP instance" won't work.

Yes it would. It just needs to be policed...ALL chat does in this game. People can't be allowed to act any way they want without recourse...that wouldn't work here on these forums, it shouldn't be that way in game.

Yes it would. It just needs to be policed...ALL chat does in this game. People can't be allowed to act any way they want without recourse...that wouldn't work here on these forums, it shouldn't be that way in game.

No it wouldn't as BW has already proved they don't police chat. People have already proven they can and will act however they want in the game.

No it wouldn't as BW has already proved they don't police chat. People have already proven they can and will act however they want in the game.

Did you read my entire post or just the first line?

Did you read my entire post or just the first line?

I read you post Tux and my point still stands. Show me in the last five years where BW has ever policed chat? Then show me where in the last 5 years they have not allowed people to act like they want in the game and then and only then will I ever believe they will do that with a RP instance.

I read you post Tux and my point still stands. Show me in the last five years where BW has ever policed chat? Then show me where in the last 5 years they have not allowed people to act like they want in the game and then and only then will I ever believe they will do that with a RP instance.

Obviously you didn't Casi. I never said they did, I said they NEED to.

Obviously you didn't Casi. I never said they did, I said they NEED to.

And what evidence do you have that they would even do this? They have needed to do all this from the beginning so to actually say the need to do it now just because some people want to put RP instances, just because some people want to push everyone on their server no matter if another server is doing well or not.

As I have stated in the past some servers need merged, mainly old pvp ones, but not every server needs that and there are some that have an agenda and want everyone on a particular server just because.

Edited by casirabit

Indeed. Sadly, there are players in MMOs that hate RPers and will go out of their way to try to grief them.

Besides, there is no way to effectively police live chat channels anyway, with so many players online at one time. If there was, then all MMOs would be doing it as social misbehavior it is a constant point of discord with players.

The current method of /report followed by studio review and action is actually the norm for MMOs, and it does deal with the offenders that are indeed crossing the line and needing sanction... just not in real time.

Edited by Andryah

Yes, I agree, ingame chat needs to be policed within certain guidelines. They police it here in the forums and there is no reason not to do it in game.

Will they do it?.. 6 months ago I would have said definitely not.. I don't know now as I'm still shocked everytime Keith or Eric post... so I guess anything is possible

But I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and for all the communication to dry up over night..

Of course I hope that never happens because this is so much better them engaging with the community like this. Maybe if this was done 3 years ago and never stopped, we would have a totally different game, more population and more people satisfied with their experience.

Yes, I agree, ingame chat needs to be policed within certain guidelines. They police it here in the forums and there is no reason not to do it in game.

The same exact way they do in game.... they receive reports, they review, and they take action. ;)

If they boiled 17 servers down to 3-5 then they would have an easier time policing chat.