20% discovery broken

CowboyPharo

why does the reverse engineering say that there is a 20% chance to learn an upgraded version of item your taking apart and it does not work...

to me at 20% thats a one in 5.. i make up to 20 items on my toons before i get anything and thats 75% of the time..

thats a lot of mats i'm using up there are days that all i do is farm for the entire length of time i'm on and end up using the whole works of what i farmed to make 3 discoveries when it should have been in the are of 15 to 20 discoveries.. as many times as i have made complaints about this it appears that there is nothing going to be done about this the last complaint i made i was 20% chance is based on the item in itself.. well to me that is kinda missleading it is not a 20% chance anymore thats just a chance that you may learn something.. but if it is a 20% chance to learn something some one please tell me what ratio is being used cause so far i have it figured to a 20% out of 20 items produced which really in the common world of mathamatics works out to 5%

Think of it like rolling a normal die. Each time you roll, there is a 1 in 6 chance of getting a 1. If you you roll it 60 times, you should get 1 about 10 times, but probably not.

^ This. Each time you hit RE, there's a 1 in 5 chance of success. It doesn't mean that you'll get 5 successes for 20 attempts though. You could have a hot streak and get 10 for 20, or, a lousy streak and get 0. Each attempt is it's own thing; they're not modified by earlier attempts.....but over a large enough amount of attempts, it should average out to 20%.

RNG works differently.

Your assuming if you craft 5 items, it guarentees you a learnt recipe from the logic 5x20% = 100%. That is true, except the RNG system in SWTOR works like this.

You craft 5 items, thus you get 5 individual rolls. For you to learn the recipe you must roll, out of 100, say anything from 80-100 (20% range).

So what the RNG system does is this:

Roll 1: 14

Roll 2: 67

Roll 3: 79

Roll 4: 43

Roll 5: 66

Thus, you get no learnt recipe. The chance of learning a new recipe is still 20% even if you craft 200 items and reveng them, of course though, you get more rolls and thus a greater probability that you will roll the crit to learn it.

It's not broken. Inquisitor columi boots in HM Foundry though, now thats broken.

PS. Im now reveng my 50-60th might stim for the prototype, so I understand the pain more than anyone.

Edited by Banicks