Anyone else a massive fan of Doctor Who?

Cyberwoman

There are some excellent GIF and JPG/s out there that map out River and the Doctor. If you want to understand how they meet simply download one and ENJOY.

It really helps when you are watching an episode to know which River is in the episode.

Yeh, it can be a little confusing, but there are usually hints in the episode so you know which she is...

Edited by Selenial

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, it can be a little confusing, but there are usually hints in the episode so you know which she is...

Of course there is. I was just offering up some suggestions for those who have a hard time following it. EVEN with the hints its nice to have it laid out.

I understand some of your frustrations with Time of the Doctor but I think it was handled well. You have to understand the viewer doesn't see all of the Doctor's life. He lives for 100s upon 100s of years. We see only a very tiny fraction of it. He traveled with River for many, many years and we don't ever see that. We are only told about it. He could very well stay somewhere for 300 years because he can't leave and he doesn't care. He'll do it. Additionally, he thought this was his last stand as a living being. He thought he was done so why not make his stand there?

And just so you know, people have been complaining about regenerations taking WAY too long for a long time now. I LOVED seeing the instant change. JUST GET IT OVER WITH.

Finally.

And of course he's cocky. He's a new doctor and the more "traditional" doctors (see classic who) were VERY cocky. In the old series, he basically talks down to everyone because HE CAN.

I totally understand the story. It just doesn't work on screen. I know a lot of people that have the exact same criticisms as I do. They felt it was rushed, that there was too much stuff going on, and the regeneration was blah. I felt more emotion when Tennat left, and Matt Smith is my favorite. So far.

So, I started watching Dr. Who exactly one month ago starting with season 1 of 2005 and I just finished the last Christmas special. I also started watching classic stuff and I'm up to the Tom Baker years, but anyway, why the hell did I wait so long to finally watch this show, I don't know, it's been amazing. Aside from a few stinkers, I've loved all of it.

Also, for whatever reason, Matt Smith was my favorite doctor and just slain in the soul that he's gone so soon. I'm sure Peter Capaldi is going to be awesome and change was bound to happen sooner or later, but I'm still sad. i feel like he should have done one more season. Part of the problem is that I can't just jump right into the next episode and see the new doctor before I can think about it like I have been able to do. Gonna be a long 8-10 months.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about the regeneration scene. Everything leading up to it was a lot more emotional and intense, I mean he freaking destroyed the enemy fleets with regeneration energy. And nothing has been more tear-inducing than when he dropped the bowtie to the floor. :( And his speech was a lot more inspiring than "I don't want to go".

Just found this article that is talking a bit more about season 8 and Capaldi. http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv/s7/doctor-who/tubetalk/a542152/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-and-series-8-everything-you-need-to-know.html

Both Moffat and Capaldi's co-star Jenna Coleman agree that the 55-year-old actor will be "so different" to his 31-year-old predecessor Matt Smith, with the show's head writer promising an "old beast" with a "snarl".

"We've got used to two brilliant iterations of the younger, more puppy-dog Doctor and [David Tennant and Matt] have both been superlative," Moffat said in November. "But now it's time for the old beast to snarl at you for a bit!

"Sometimes you see that a bit in Matt Smith's Doctor - he will remind the people around him, 'I'm not really like this' - but I think Peter's Doctor will make that even clearer."

Also

With his new team in place, Steven Moffat is promising an escape from the uber-slick Doctor Who we've seen of late - from August, expect something a little more "raw".

"You learn how to do [this show], you get really slick at it, and then you think you're really, really slick at it and everyone's started to yawn," he hinted. "And you think, 'Oh God, we're really slick at this but everyone knows what we're going to do'.

"So now we've got to actually get a bit raw at it and do it in a different direction…"

Not anything earthshaking and probably has been said before, but it helps me try and imagine what to expect. How would you describe more "raw" Dr. Who?

I totally understand the story. It just doesn't work on screen. I know a lot of people that have the exact same criticisms as I do. They felt it was rushed, that there was too much stuff going on, and the regeneration was blah. I felt more emotion when Tennat left, and Matt Smith is my favorite. So far.

I agree that was a weakness of the episode. I totally get it.

I just don't care enough to let it bother me. I thought Matt's exit was great. Tenant's exit was so full of himself that I liked it, but didn't love it. And yes, that was his character so that's ok.

Just found this article that is talking a bit more about season 8 and Capaldi. http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv/s7/doctor-who/tubetalk/a542152/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-and-series-8-everything-you-need-to-know.html

Also

Not anything earthshaking and probably has been said before, but it helps me try and imagine what to expect. How would you describe more "raw" Dr. Who?

While it will be hard for me to replace Tom Baker and Matt Smith as my favorite actors who played the doctor, I am pumped about a darker, more vengeful doctor that I think is planned for Peter Capaldi.

Yeah, the more I see of Peter Capaldi, the more I am excited, he appears to fantastic.

About the Christmas special, I do agree it felt rushed with too much info crammed in - probably because Matt Smith was confirming being in season 8 up through the summer and then decided to leave at the last minute and they were probably not intending on writing the lead up to his demise in just two specials.

Totally disagree on the regeneration scene though, I thought it was perfect. Way more epic than 10th. 10 destroyed the TARDIS with his regeneration energy. 11 destroyed all of his enemies. :p And like I said, I actually cried that time. I haven't cried for any other.

• 2 weeks later...

I hated Matt leaving to be honest, wish he'd stayed, though I understand it as a career move. Looking forward to Capaldi but Smith and Tennant will always be my favorites.

The episode was actually the shortest regeneration series ever, bit disappointing to say the least, for one of the finest doctors I've seen, but all good things must come to a close.

Tennant leaving was more emotional for me because he was always more serious and emotional as a doctor anyway, combined with the fact the line "I don't want to go" was added in by him just made me cry :(

Anyway, bring on Capaldi, but I'll miss you matt. Look forward to seeing your future works, and cannot wait for Capaldi+Smith+Tennant+River (Please PLEASE PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE) happen at one point. I beg of you steven >.>

Imagine the feels. The Laughs, the Jealousy of each doctor over their little wife :p

Hah, I hadn't thought of that....having the last 3 doctors all together with River could be hilarious. I think she'll be probably not turn up much anymore, if at all, though, from what I have read.

Incidentally, with all this gushing over new doctors I just want to say I absolutely adored Tom Baker. He was so awesome.

Mmmmm Tom Baker is one of my faves.

I like the way they are telling us Capaldi is going, but I'll have to see it play out. It's kind of nice that we have the Silence stuff out of the way too, it's kind of a clean slate for Capaldi.

Luckily there are plenty of awesome shows that will help with the wait! And I'll always eat up the Moff's dumb statements here and there, though they don't tell us much, I just love reading them!

Mmmmm Tom Baker is one of my faves.

I like the way they are telling us Capaldi is going, but I'll have to see it play out. It's kind of nice that we have the Silence stuff out of the way too, it's kind of a clean slate for Capaldi.

Luckily there are plenty of awesome shows that will help with the wait! And I'll always eat up the Moff's dumb statements here and there, though they don't tell us much, I just love reading them!

Indeed, but it's nice to know he's got old faces helping him transition, hopefully River, but definitely Strax, Vastra and Jenny

Oh yeah, massive fan.

How massive?

I had a buttload of cartel coins to blow and nothing worth getting in the market, so when some jerkwad purposely infected my darkside Chiss bounty hunter with the Rakghoul plague, at stage 2 I took the vaccine to cure her, then went to the appearance changer and "regenerated" her into a Zabrak female and started making more lightside choices. :p

Edited by Sanguiluna

Oh, forgot to post my opinions on the 50th! :i_embarrassed:

I do think The Day of the Doctor could be my favorite episode of all time. I feared it could be excessive fan candy, but it was a wonderful story which made me love the character of the Doctor all over again. John hurt made for a wonderful Doctor, and Tom's cameo was utterly divine! I was lucky enough to see him live at the 50th Celebration convention on the anniversary day itself, what a legend! I didn't get to meet him unfortunately, but I did meet and have my photo taken with my favorite Doctor Matt Smith, who was utterly charming! :i_biggrin:

I really liked Time of the Doctor. It was a fitting ending for my favorite Doctor. I loved how it capture some of that fairytale magic which S5 had in bundles, but was lacking a bit in S6 & S7. I do think, however, that it was perhaps a bit to short. It tried to wrap up a lot of things in just an hour, and while it did work overall, it would have been nicer if they spent a bit more time on certain details (Such as how the Silence managed to destroy the TARDIS). I also adored the actual regeneration. I like how it was the opposites of Tennant's, a celebration of his life as the Doctor with less self-indulgence. His final words were my favorite and very beautiful, and it was such a job to see Amy one final time. What I also really liked was the 'flash' change form Matt to Peter. Recent regenerations have been dragged out sometimes, so I like how it was such a swift and shocking change. Loved Peter's entrance, I am confident that he is going to be a fantastic Doctor.

Talking about Peter... the BBC has just revealed his new outfit! I like it. It fits Capaldi well. I do think perhaps it could use a top hat or something, but like Matt's it can evolve.

Edited by Cyberwoman

That's awesome that you got to get your picture with Matt Smith. :)

Saw the new outfit...looks a bit like a less frilly, darker version of the 3rd Doctor. It's hard to really judge a costume until we see the Doctor's personality in action with it. I remember people groaning about Matt Smith's outfit being too dorky and boring.

• 8 months later...

So, now we are half way into Series 8, what is everyones opinion on Peter Capaldi's 12th Doctor?

I must admit, at first I was a bit unsure. I like Capaldi and he is a fantastic actor, but I feared that the ‘darker’ elements of his character would suffocate the lighter, more eccentric aspects of the Doctor. I wanted him to be a bit more joyful and happy, as well as having the darker shades that haunt the character. For the first three episodes, I could not see that brighter side of his character (Even in Mark Gatiss’s Robot of Sherwood, which should have been the perfect chance to see #12’s comical side!).

Everything changed when I saw Listen, however. Apart from being one of the best stories of all time, it really opened my eyes up to how wonderful #12 actually was. From the maniac grin he gives Clara in the TARDIS, to his beautiful speech to Rupert about fear being a superpower. I finally had that ‘eureka!’ moment, where I understood his Doctor. He is a mad old wizard, and alien no longer trying to be human. A bit like #6, this desiccated man-crow will offend you and generally be as rude as he can be, but in the end he will save you and your entire planet, no matter whether you and he like each other or not. At this moment in time he stands as my third favorite Doctor (Just behind Davidson and my favorite, Matt Smith) and long may he continue in this role!

The actually quality of the series itself is very strong, I think. There has not been a duff episode yet. As I said above, I regard Listen as one of the best episodes ever created, and I would say Into the Dalek is probably the best Dalek adventure written. The Caretaker has probably been the weakest, but that was still a fun romp. Oh, and the whole ‘Promised lands’ and Missy arc looks like it is going to be very intriguing indeed. I definitely feel that the series is setting up for Jenna’s departure. Not particularly a bad thing, as change is the heart-beat of the series, but I will miss her. She and the writers have upped their game in S8, and the results have been great. And I will admit I did get somewhat emotional during Matt Smith’s cameo in Deep Breath! :o

The one thing I dislike however is Danny. There is an air of manipulation to him regarding Clara. Perhaps that is just me, or an aspect of his character which will be explored in the future. I will not be happy if he becomes a major traveling companion, though...

Anyway, looking forward to the rest of the series! :i_biggrin:

That's awesome that you got to get your picture with Matt Smith. :)

Thanks. It is a treasured photo, which makes me smile whenever I see it! :i_angel:

Edited by Cyberwoman

I'm still not digging the new Doctor. Not entirely sure why though.

I like Danny. He's direct and logical and not at all like the stereotypical soldier the Doctor wants him to be. I think Clara is the week link in this series. I love the backstory for the Impossible Girl, it was very well done, but I think Clara worked much better as a Dalek pretending to make souffles while clinging to her humanity. As a companion, I think she falls short of the mark, but I'm willing to concede that its probably just due to how tough it is to accept that Amy and Rory are truly gone.

Amelia Pond was the ultimate companion, and Rory just made her all the better. I can't imagine myself finding the same sort of connection with any other companions that follow them. They had such marvelous chemistry on the show together, made even more marvelous by Matt Smith.

Part of me wishes that had done a bit more with John Hurt.

Do you mind if I ask which city on the tour it was where you had the photo op with Matt Smith? I was at the ComicCon in Louisville, KY several months ago for that very reason and have a photo of my girlfriend and I with both Matt and Karen.

Edit: I almost forgot, I would get used to the idea that Danny could be a regular companion soon. A lot of the leaks/hints from writers and producers indicate that they want a young man on the Tardis again. They captured a new audience in young women with the David Tennant and Matt Smith series that they are at risk of losing if they don't give the young female viewers something to look at.

Edited by Orizuru

I'm still not digging the new Doctor. Not entirely sure why though.

Fair enough. I think Capaldi and Moffat have said his character will change over time, so perhaps he will click in time!

I like Danny. He's direct and logical and not at all like the stereotypical soldier the Doctor wants him to be.

You make a good point. I think there is a lot of potential in the ideas surrounding his character, and I am interested to see how his and the Doctor's relationship evolves. I just dislike some elements of his actual character and the way his and Clara's romance is being showed/developed. As I said though, that could just be me...

I think Clara is the week link in this series. I love the backstory for the Impossible Girl, it was very well done, but I think Clara worked much better as a Dalek pretending to make souffles while clinging to her humanity. As a companion, I think she falls short of the mark, but I'm willing to concede that its probably just due to how tough it is to accept that Amy and Rory are truly gone.

I think they have made an effort this series to show that Clara was more then just the 'Impossible Girl' and could be a normal character too. Much of the criticism around her last year revolved around the idea she was less of a character, and more a story arc. Funnily enough, now people seem to be complain that she is getting to much to do/the show is becoming about her! I actually preferred her in S7 and I love the whole 'impossible girl' arc, but I think she has been very strong as a character this year. It does seem like they are setting up her departure, though, which I am not to upset about.

Amelia Pond was the ultimate companion, and Rory just made her all the better. I can't imagine myself finding the same sort of connection with any other companions that follow them. They had such marvelous chemistry on the show together, made even more marvelous by Matt Smith.

I agree. Amy is my favorite companion, and Rory was an utter joy. I have been re-watching S6 recently, and while it may not be the strongest series the combination of #11, Amy and Rory are always a joy to behold. It was a chemistry that seems to have gone beyond the show, as the Confidential docs/conventions clearly show them having a whale of a time with each other! :i_biggrin:

Part of me wishes that had done a bit more with John Hurt.

True, although in the confines of the story they probably used him as much as they could. I think one of the reasons they went with the whole 'hidden regeneration' idea is that they could get a big star in for a one-off performance. The BBC have released a novel set during the Time War and featuring him as the Doctor though, Engines of War. Half way through it and it is rather good. I think they are going to do a series of them.

Do you mind if I ask which city on the tour it was where you had the photo op with Matt Smith? I was at the ComicCon in Louisville, KY several months ago for that very reason and have a photo of my girlfriend and I with both Matt and Karen.

Nice! I am rather jealous you got to meet Karen, she seems like a beautiful person. I didn't get my photo at the world tours though, it was at the 50th Anniversary Celebration at the ExCeL in London last year, on the actual day of the anniversary in fact (Cannot believe that was ten months ago already...). I was one of the first to meet him that day, and he was an utter joy! :i_angel:

Edit: I almost forgot, I would get used to the idea that Danny could be a regular companion soon. A lot of the leaks/hints from writers and producers indicate that they want a young man on the Tardis again. They captured a new audience in young women with the David Tennant and Matt Smith series that they are at risk of losing if they don't give the young female viewers something to look at.

Perhaps. I am not really sure the whole 'women need a good looking man to watch' idea really holds up, but I am all for a younger male companion anyway. That being said, I do doubt it will be Danny. His fate and character seem very entangled with Clara, after all (Their romance, and the hint that Orson Pink is a distant relative). Assuming that Clara is leaving, I cannot really see how they could make it an emotional farewell for all the characters involved, and not have that ruined by having Danny just travel with the Doctor. Although, this could just be wishful thinking on my part! :p

Edited by Cyberwoman

Perhaps. I am not really sure the whole 'women need a good looking man to watch' idea really holds up, but I am all for a younger male companion anyway. That being said, I do doubt it will be Danny. His fate and character seem very entangled with Clara, after all (Their romance, and the hint that Orson Pink is a distant relative). Assuming that Clara is leaving, I cannot really see how they could make it an emotional farewell for all the characters involved, and not have that ruined by having Danny just travel with the Doctor. Although, this could just be wishful thinking on my part! :p

I hope I'm wrong on how I read between the lines on this one, but historically the show has no lack of fanservice stereotypes among companions. I've been a fan since I was a kid growing up in the 80s. I would sneak out of bed late at night to watch it after my parents had gone to bed. My girlfriend didn't really get into the show until she watched a few episodes of the David Tennant series. When Matt came along, that sealed things for her and made her as big a fan as I am. However, from the moment they brought Capaldi on board, she lost interest and she wasn't ashamed to admit it was because she preferred the eye-candy.

Meeting Matt and Karen at a ComicCon was a great experience, but I think my girlfriend enjoyed it more than I did. I spent a number of years during my 20s working for a company that allowed me to meet a great number of high profile celebrities and I think that has lessened my ability to be impressed by celebrities today. I still had a blast meeting them both, but for what we paid for that photo-op and meet and greet, I'm not sure it beats the time I had lunch with A.G. Lafley (CEO of Procter & Gamble) and Florence Henderson (Mrs. Brady from The Brady Bunch).

I think Peter Capaldi is beginning to grow on me though, mostly because of the Listen episode. The part about fear being a superpower was amazing, and really helped me feel like this is the Doctor I know and love. Did you happen to catch the small paradox that surrounded that line though? The Doctor only knew to say it because he was remembering someone having said that to him as a child, but that memory was Clara telling him from her memory of Capaldi saying it to Danny as a child.

I expect Danny to stick around for at least the rest of this series though, unless Clara exits the show before then. They created a fixed point in time for Clara and Danny to at least have one child together, so there is definitely more to their story than we have seen.

I hope I'm wrong on how I read between the lines on this one, but historically the show has no lack of fanservice stereotypes among companions.

That's true. I was watching The Robots of Death recently, and it surprised me just how much of Louise Jameson was on show! :eek:

I've been a fan since I was a kid growing up in the 80s. I would sneak out of bed late at night to watch it after my parents had gone to bed. My girlfriend didn't really get into the show until she watched a few episodes of the David Tennant series. When Matt came along, that sealed things for her and made her as big a fan as I am. However, from the moment they brought Capaldi on board, she lost interest and she wasn't ashamed to admit it was because she preferred the eye-candy.

Fair enough. I suppose we all have our own reasons why we watch! My first experience was the Peter Cushing films, which I first saw in the mid 90's. It wasn't until a year later that my parents actually told me there was a Doctor Who TV show!! :i_biggrin:

Meeting Matt and Karen at a ComicCon was a great experience, but I think my girlfriend enjoyed it more than I did. I spent a number of years during my 20s working for a company that allowed me to meet a great number of high profile celebrities and I think that has lessened my ability to be impressed by celebrities today. I still had a blast meeting them both, but for what we paid for that photo-op and meet and greet, I'm not sure it beats the time I had lunch with A.G. Lafley (CEO of Procter & Gamble) and Florence Henderson (Mrs. Brady from The Brady Bunch)

Well, if you are used to that sort of company then fair enough! I have always been tongue tied and anxious around celebrates personally, ever since a friend forced me to go up and ask Craig Charles for an autograph when I was a kid. I wouldn't have missed meeting Matt for the world though.

I think Peter Capaldi is beginning to grow on me though, mostly because of the Listen episode. The part about fear being a superpower was amazing, and really helped me feel like this is the Doctor I know and love.

That was the exact moment he blossomed for me too. I cannot say how much I adore that scene and the whole 'fear is a superpower!' aspect, especially as I do suffer form anxiety.

Did you happen to catch the small paradox that surrounded that line though? The Doctor only knew to say it because he was remembering someone having said that to him as a child, but that memory was Clara telling him from her memory of Capaldi saying it to Danny as a child.

I did catch that and in fact, I can go one further. The line 'Fear makes companions of us all' has been uttered once before in Doctor Who, in the very first story An Unearthly Child. #1 says it to Barbara in the third episode! :i_biggrin:

I expect Danny to stick around for at least the rest of this series though, unless Clara exits the show before then. They created a fixed point in time for Clara and Danny to at least have one child together, so there is definitely more to their story than we have seen.

Indeed. Although this is Moffat after all, and it would not surprise me if Orson is a big red herring and there is still a lot more to Danny's/this story...

Edited by Cyberwoman

I absolutely adore Peter Capaldi and his doctor. It took me a couple of episodes to really feel it, but as of now I couldn't be happier. Of course, I like all the doctors...just some more than others. I can relate that when I first started watching the Fifth Doctor, Peter Davison, I kind of hated him. It took me until the second season to warm up to him, an now he is literally my favorite doctor. I even cosplayed as him. :) So, I think that some people that are just not quite clicking with Capaldi will eventually...I feel like everything is moving in a particular direction for a reason, and I believe that when all is said and done, we'll really appreciate what he brought to the table. Had they gone with another Tennant/Smith type of Doctor, it would have gone very stale!

As for Missy....it's *possible* she could be the Master, but that seems almost too simple. I think it's also possible she could be some other version of Clara, or even some kind of personification of Death (which was a character in the old Virgin New Adventures - someone pointed out the similarities between the promo photo of "Kill the Moon" and "Timewyrm").

As for Danny - Samuel Anderson said he wasn't intended to be a companion, but he also said more recently he'd be interested in returning for season 9 - so take that as you will.

I kind of do miss having a male companion that wasn't just a boyfriend - Jamie, Ian, and Turlough are some of my favorites!

And yes, classic companions were always full of fanservice...one need only search for the photos of Katy Manning straddling a Dalek naked and Nicola Bryant and her bikini/cleavage scenes to remember that....or leather bikini wearing Leela...

Jamie was always kind of the ultimate boy fanservice, wasn't he? Cute young man with a Beatles haircut in a kilt...I could do with more of that. ;)

They are really shaking things up lately. This doctor is such a throwback. I don't think a lot of the "modern" fans understand that.

Clara and the doctor's relationship is doomed, even if they patch things up. They just don't see eye to eye on many things, even with their tight relationship.