Troya Ajak in Spirit of Vengeance MM: Bug, Intended Change, or just misunderstanding?

I healed a well geared and competent group through SoV master mode today and things were smooth until we hit the 3rd boss Troya Ajak. Normally no big deal but today I noticed that immediately upon engaging her, we were hit with her red circles. These red circles immediately took off 90% of our health and even killed 1 team member instantly. We had no chance. Tried again a few times and the fight always started with circles. Whether stacking or spread out, it made no difference and it was over before it started. I never remembered it being so bad.

We eventually beat her by starting the fight with our best DCD to survive the initial hit. I did end up succumbing to them again but luckily my group had enough HP to finish her off.

Is this normal? I've googled and watched videos and the red circles seem to be no big deal. What has everyone's experience been since the 6.2.1 patch?

Thx for your help.

We´ve experienced the same thing. Actually, I was coming to this forum just to check if anyone else noticed the same issue.

I was playing DPS and shortly after the start I and the other DPS were killed almost instantly by the red circles (boss ability "songbirds salvo") The tank and the heal also received extremely much damage, but sometimes survived. After several tries, our tank and heal managed to kill Troya Ajak on their own by using severel defensive CDs, while we DPS were always killed.

We had the idea that maybe our damage was reflected or that her damage was related to the number of people, but couldn´t figure out the real reason for these damage spikes.

Would be helpful to know how to beat this boss in our next adventure to the SoV MFP, so thanks in advance for any advise.

We´ve experienced the same thing. Actually, I was coming to this forum just to check if anyone else noticed the same issue.

I was playing DPS and shortly after the start I and the other DPS were killed almost instantly by the red circles (boss ability "songbirds salvo") The tank and the heal also received extremely much damage, but sometimes survived. After several tries, our tank and heal managed to kill Troya Ajak on their own by using severel defensive CDs, while we DPS were always killed.

We had the idea that maybe our damage was reflected or that her damage was related to the number of people, but couldn´t figure out the real reason for these damage spikes.

Would be helpful to know how to beat this boss in our next adventure to the SoV MFP, so thanks in advance for any advise.

I'm glad it wasn't just us!! And yes, survivability does seem to be easier with fewer people. There must be something I'm not aware of.

They seemed to have fixed this issue. We had no problems clearing it. I even thought Troya was doing less damage than before.

(And I was healing with "luck always changes" - since you know - BW broke 5 Roaming Mend :(

Edited by Ahwassa

Just had to call our master mode SoV group on this boss too. We had the same problem. First try she immediately put down the red aoe on all of us and wiped both of our full health dps in less than 2 seconds. We tried after that to use damage reduction abilities on the first red circle group aoe in hopes that we would survive. 1 dps would still usually die, and the rest of us would usually wipe on the next red circle aoe. We made sure we weren't overlapping any of the circles too. That red aoe dot is doing way more damage than it used to. It used to just take a full HP group down to about 25% health.. It's doing about double or triple the damage now.

The red circles are hitting for around 90% of dps health totals.

What you need to remember is that most dps have RAMP defenses... that is to say a sorc gets 15% dr only after 3 lightning bolt hits (each class has their own version). So for the first red circles your defenses are essentially below baseline, meaning you need a defensive cooldown for the initial hit.

After the first one, you'll be ramped up and provided nobody is still injured then you'll get smacked down low and then songbird is channelled causing little damage (as it's an exercise to heal everyone up).

So remember... when you start a fight, at least 3 of the participants are going to be low on DR so cooldowns first, then you'll be good for the rest of the fight. (Also always guard the healer for this, since they're less likely to have effective defenses after the first red circles).

The red circles are hitting for around 90% of dps health totals.

What you need to remember is that most dps have RAMP defenses... that is to say a sorc gets 15% dr only after 3 lightning bolt hits (each class has their own version). So for the first red circles your defenses are essentially below baseline, meaning you need a defensive cooldown for the initial hit.

After the first one, you'll be ramped up and provided nobody is still injured then you'll get smacked down low and then songbird is channelled causing little damage (as it's an exercise to heal everyone up).

So remember... when you start a fight, at least 3 of the participants are going to be low on DR so cooldowns first, then you'll be good for the rest of the fight. (Also always guard the healer for this, since they're less likely to have effective defenses after the first red circles).

Thanks I think these are good tips for any situation. However the topic of concern is about whether this change is intentional. Just to be sure, you can watch the effects of the red circles in older Youtube's of the same MM fight and you can see it doesn't hit nearly as hard.

Edited by Deathblow

They seemed to have fixed this issue. We had no problems clearing it. I even thought Troya was doing less damage than before.

(And I was healing with "luck always changes" - since you know - BW broke 5 Roaming Mend :(

That's the thing--after killing some people with her beefed up circles, she'd go on and do 'normal' dps and even two remaining team members, with no heals, could actually finish her. Did you encounter the initial circles at the start of your fight? that seems to be the killer for a lot of people now.

Did you encounter the initial circles at the start of your fight? that seems to be the killer for a lot of people now.

The initial hits were normal I guess (I used god bubble because I had read on Reddit about the bug (?)). But the other players didn´t get much damage - I´d say 40 % of their life?

And no one died in the whole Flashpoint.

We did it by having everyone hitting their DCDs for all of the red circles. She casts one early in the fight, like within the first 5 seconds. After that, all of her casts repeat in order. Songbirds>Target>Pick-Off>Red Circles. Just hit a DCD right after Pick-Off and you all should be able to deal.

Hey everyone, guess what? Check out the upcoming 6.2.1a patch notes:

Resolved an issue where Troya Ajak’s Ability “Songbird Salvo” was causing too much damage in the Spirit of Vengeance Flashpoint - Master Mode.

Looks like we weren't just imagining things after all. :)