Potenial Abuse of Jedi Mind Trick

SNEAKYSIX

EDIT POTENTIAL sorry for typo ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I can defo see the reason why Jedi's have to go through a training process to harness and use force powers effectively. The destructive and quite possibly addictive nature of possess such power has to be managed.

This makes me wonder if some dark side elements and turning to the darkside maybe natural human nature and therefor not corruptly evil.

If we all had the power of jedi mind trick, the willing to want to use it in difficult and confrontational apsects of everyday human life would be immensely tough.

That in a jedi form would be using the powers for negative gains and therefore deemed as a darkside journey path.

Some situations even today I think I could not help myself abusing them :-

example;;;;;;

I recently went for a promotion at work, I really need the pay increase Im doing a job in a recession that pays me 5,000 less per anum than my previous job did. I have a little dept and family responsibilties. I didnt get the promotion, instead it was offered to the managers groomed clique member. If I had that jedi power the job would be mine and my ladder climb would begin again instead of office politics on popularity over experience.

So my long winded question is...

Would using jedi mind trick if we had the power in our lives be deemed as darkside or could it be justified within societal restraints??

Edited by SNEAKYSIX

Using the Force for your own benefit in order to be possible to create a better and happier life for your family, is acceptable. The problem about it, that you will become less satisfied with things you have and will use the force to get you things that you normally shoulnt be able to get. Once this starts, you will be pulled to the Dark Side and instead of using the Force, you will be abusing it. Eventually you will become evil, since people try to withhold you from your goals.

With great power, comes great responsibility.

The problem about it, that you will become less satisfied with things you have and will use the force to get you things that you normally shoulnt be able to get. Once this starts, you will be pulled to the Dark Side and instead of using the Force, you will be abusing it.

Agree, I think it would be a slippery slope once you start the will not to use it again would be to great.

Although imagion never waiting in a queue again,,, "You do not want to buy that today, You should go home and lie down"

Yea

They say abusing your mind powers and other tricks of the force leads down the dark parth, but we CLEARLY see Qui Gon Jinn use (or atleast attempt) the mind trick a few times in Episode 1. Plus he also uses his powers to place his bet in his favor. A jedi cheating....at GAMBLING???!!!

Even in ROTJ, we see Luke force choking people (As far as I know, he's the only light sided force user to do that) and using the mind trick. Why did you have to go to such lengths, Luke? What if that was their day jobs or some ****?? Maybe he just hung around with Jabba to help pay for his child support. Did you every think of that, Luke? I thought so, assh*le.

Why did you have to go to such lengths, Luke? What if that was their day jobs or some ****?? Maybe he just hung around with Jabba to help pay for his child support. Did you every think of that, Luke? I thought so, assh*le.

This also strikes up the ethic side too,

I guess in war and times of conflict the enemy is expendable and we care not if they have lives. Using such powers to harm others like you say may have familes and so on. Clearly wrong, showing that justifiable action in the name of Lightside are corrupted with dark undertones.

I would prefer to shock the boss with *********** purple lighting from my fingers until he promoted me. I want him to fear me. I want him to KNOW that his life is in my hands and if he makes one false move, ill leave his charred remains in the break room.

This boss of yours sounds like a total d-bag and he deserves to know that he has been bested.

Edited by Sireene
lang

I can't remember exactly what mission it was (early on around 30ish and one of the first times I had that option) on my Jedi Knight were one of my choices was [Force Persuade]. It actually helped the person I was using it on in a positive way, but I received negative points from Kira (who is a more roguish character). So I assume Bioware/LA has taken account that using it in a situation where you may be able to talk things out without manipulating people with the Force as a negative thing. I guess that makes sense since the Jedi Code is pretty strict about unnecessary use of the Force.

But using it in situations like convincing the evil scientist to stop building his army for Darth Malgus on The False Emperor is an acceptable use of the ability and rewards you with lightside points.

Edited by Stridar

Greetings everyone!

As a gentle reminder, we understand that this topic can result in political, moral or religious discussion. Due to the volatile nature of such topics, they are inappropriate for the forums. While we understand some real-life examples may be used, please keep it appropriate for the forums and in compliance with our Rules of Conduct.

Happy discussion! :)

It's not a matter of good and evil it's a matter of detachment and clinging.

Any emotion is dark as it leads to wanting things which leads to jealousy and grief and fear of loss which lead into the anger and hate of the dark side.

It's not that jedi hate emotion or think it's a bad thing, they just have a responsibility as force users to stay away from it because if they just happen to fall into the trap it's horrible for everyone.

That being said there are "pure emotions" like compassion, respect, preservation of life, reverence etc. which are only emotions in name as they are arrived at via reason and meditation and aren't just a natural reaction to the world like the base emotions.

Personally I think the jedi order tend to be pretty hypocritical (like any religious organization) and don't avoid attachment and emotion as diligently as they should, I propose that the jedi order was already in decline as they became fat with peace and politics and this is why the sith chose to reveal themselves and "create" vader at this particular time in their long history.

I don't think anakin would of turned if it wasn't for this systemic hypocrisy, finally demonstrated most palpably (sorry for the pun) with what I consider to be the literal and metaphorical fall of mace windu when he demonstrates how quickly he lets his anger overcome him when the republic (which he is attached to) is under grave threat.

As for the "mind trick" which if you think about it in the real world most would consider evil. It lies perfectly within the bounds of detachment, as your not bound to the "honorable" way of doing things, honor can lead to the dark-side if you become attached to it, just like anything else.

Edited by areto