Is it wasteful to choose multiple gathering skills? (because...)

Marsoratii

I don't know how this system works and I don't want to find out by making the wrong choice in the game. So let me see if I can get this question right.

Let's say I pick Scavenging and (to pick an arbitrary number) let's say every gathering mission brings back an average of 10 resources. Can only one crew member go on a Scavenging mission at a time or can all five crew members go on different Scavenging missions at the same time?

Because in the second case I could bring back 50 resources at once and still have crafting/mission skills. But in the first case I could only get 10 resources in the same amount of time regardless, making it more viable to pick additional gathering skills.

It seems like choosing all gathering would be wasteful if your net return could potentially be 50 bulk resources whether it's 1 gathering skill or 3 gathering skills, even though the actual resource types would be more varied.

Can only one crew member go on a Scavenging mission at a time or can all five crew members go on different Scavenging missions at the same time?

I am not too sure about the rest, mostly because it's early and I probably didn't read it right, but, as far as I know, you can send as many characters you want on gathering missions. I sent 2 companions on beta on the same gathering missions, it worked out fine, and I am assuming that they kept that.

I think the biggest flaw in your scenario is the assumption that you get a worthwhile yield from paying to send your companions on gathering missions. Assuming the numbers work out anything like they were at the end of beta, you don't.

You're basically looking at a return of 2-6 units (assuming the mission doesn't fail outright) and a cost that is significant (starting ~400 credits per run at tier 1). Since you appear to be looking to gather resources to sell, I'll be blunt: Sending your companions on gathering missions is going to be the least effective way to make money. Anyone actually gathering resources from the field will be able to undercut you tremendously.

Taking three gathering skills is a money maker because it lets you gather almost every node you come across. Gathering missions rarely yield returns that match the time/credits invested.

Even slicing is subject to this - ignoring failures for the moment, about 2/5 slicing missions will result in a loss. Another 2/5 will result in a slight gain. The last fifth will result in a significant gain, often sufficient to offset losses. The net effect is a gradual increase in credits, but like other gathering skills, where slicing really shines is in the field. (Run around questing, get a pile of bonus credits every few minutes.)

If you want to make money from sending your companions on missions, you want mission skills, not gathering skills. Diplomacy, underworld trading, investigation, treasure hunting. These yield rewards that can only be gained through missions, thus you're not competing with people who can obtain the same items for "free" while questing.

Likewise, this is where your idea applies - you could send five companions on underworld trading missions, or two each on diplomacy, underworld trading, plus one on investigation. Focusing on one mission skill will probably be more effective, as you essentially have more chances to retrieve higher quality rewards (schematics, etc).

yeah with 5 companions that you will get through your story you can send them all out doing crewskills at the same time, with crafting you can stack 5 items at a time on each one also, the really good thing with the gathering missions is you can do them yourself while your out in the world.

I think the biggest flaw in your scenario is the assumption that you get a worthwhile yield from paying to send your companions on gathering missions. Assuming the numbers work out anything like they were at the end of beta, you don't.

You're basically looking at a return of 2-6 units (assuming the mission doesn't fail outright) and a cost that is significant (starting ~400 credits per run at tier 1). Since you appear to be looking to gather resources to sell, I'll be blunt: Sending your companions on gathering missions is going to be the least effective way to make money. Anyone actually gathering resources from the field will be able to undercut you tremendously.

Taking three gathering skills is a money maker because it lets you gather almost every node you come across. Gathering missions rarely yield returns that match the time/credits invested.

Even slicing is subject to this - ignoring failures for the moment, about 2/5 slicing missions will result in a loss. Another 2/5 will result in a slight gain. The last fifth will result in a significant gain, often sufficient to offset losses. The net effect is a gradual increase in credits, but like other gathering skills, where slicing really shines is in the field. (Run around questing, get a pile of bonus credits every few minutes.)

If you want to make money from sending your companions on missions, you want mission skills, not gathering skills. Diplomacy, underworld trading, investigation, treasure hunting. These yield rewards that can only be gained through missions, thus you're not competing with people who can obtain the same items for "free" while questing.

Likewise, this is where your idea applies - you could send five companions on underworld trading missions, or two each on diplomacy, underworld trading, plus one on investigation. Focusing on one mission skill will probably be more effective, as you essentially have more chances to retrieve higher quality rewards (schematics, etc).

This guy is right on. You'll make the most gathering in the field if you can. You just sent your companions on gathering quests when you are lacking a specific material, and you cant really find it in the field, or dont want to.

Mission skills for the blues are where the money is at though. These blues will be needed by those that want to learn many purple recipes, as they need a TON of them.

Thanks. That was a lot of good info.

Actually, my question was not so much about making money on sales but to have my alts help each other most effectively. I know I'll end up with four characters, so I was thinking about the best way to distribute the skills overall. It sounds like it's worth it to have one character who is a grind gatherer without slicing. That would leave the other 3 with having a craft, slicing and a mission skill.