Sentinel and marauder balance

Anosa

There are 3 pure tech/force specs in this game.

Sorcs -> no threat to a marauder in any spec. They do not have the sustained damage output to compete and marauders have significantly stronger overall defenses.

wow, just wow. In a 1v1 situation, a marauder is complete toast against my madness sorc. No competition, assuming we are at full strength and cds. I can hold him at bay with OL, CT, FS, ww electrocute, purge (for their dots), and UP and of course the bubble.. Pop reck, DF and let my 3 dots kill him off. If i time it right and hit him with ele before cloak, hes dead in about 10 secs.

Granted, killing them can be slow against really good ones, which gives their teammates time to jump in and help them out in a competent team. But 1v1 with all cds ready, I win the majority of the time against them (though as a madness sorc, i have no reason to be 1v1 against them if i'm playing like a good team mate)...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, just wow. In a 1v1 situation, a marauder is complete toast against my madness sorc. No competition, assuming we are at full strength and cds. I can hold him at bay with OL, CT, FS, ww electrocute, purge (for their dots), and UP and of course the bubble.. Pop reck, DF and let my 3 dots kill him off. If i time it right and hit him with ele before cloak, hes dead in about 10 secs.

Granted, killing them can be slow against really good ones, which gives their teammates time to jump in and help them out in a competent team. But 1v1 with all cds ready, I win the majority of the time against them (though as a madness sorc, i have no reason to be 1v1 against them if i'm playing like a good team mate)...

You're kidding right? We cut through sorcs like butter. o_0

There are 3 pure tech/force specs in this game.

Sorcs -> no threat to a marauder in any spec. They do not have the sustained damage output to compete and marauders have significantly stronger overall defenses.

That may be true for the majority of Sages/Sorcs out there, but in a hybrid or full Balance/Madness spec on my Sage and Sorc, I win most of my 1v1's vs Marauders/Sentinels. If you stay mobile and rotate your CC correctly, you have the tools to burn down a Mara/Sent in any spec. Most Sage/Sorc players I've seen stay rooted to the spot or simply don't know how to kite effectively. I've also managed to do it in full Telekinetics/Lightning...but it's decidedly more difficult.

Well the prophesy of full teams of marauders/sentinels is almost true, just they bring their pet healers with them too. All the other DPS are just quaint especially in ranked warzones.

Maybe we should stack some Operatives then - we wouldn't even need the healers.

You're kidding right? We cut through sorcs like butter. o_0

How many Sorcs you play against actively kite you about? Even in the 50's bracket I see most of them only move when using Force Speed, and then remain planted to the spot as the Mara closes distance. If I have the choice between playing a Sorc or Mara in a 1v1 vs each other, I'll take the Sorc.

The ability that makes marauders overpowered virtually to almost every other class is actually "Obfuscation or Pacify."

What this talent does is lowers the targets ranged and melee attack accuracy by 90%.

In the beta marauders did not have cloak of pain. They were designed around the concept of mitigating damage by preventing the enemy from having an opportunity to damage them. Obfuscation was clunky ability and extremely difficult to use. This meant that marauders could only really depend on camo, saberward and undying rage as a means of mitigating damage. Marauders complained bitterly that the class was too squishy, and rightfully so. It WAS squishy in the beta! Bioware responded by giving the class cloak of pain. Several patches after launch Bioware also addressed the clunky nature of obfuscation allowing it to be applied instantly and not respect the global cooldown. This gave the marauder a significant edge over almost every other class.

In a 1v1 situation there is really only 1 class capable of beating down a marauder. That is a good scrapper scoundrel.

The reason is that a scoundrel can kite, combat exit, has a ****** opener, can easily strip away cloak of pain and does not have to deal with saberwards -50% defelection or obfuscation -90% accuracy debuff.

Snipers, Combust powertechs, marauders, juggernaughts and deception sins are heavily dependent on ranged / melee attacks.

A sins burst for instance is entirely maul. Maul is an expensive ability but it hits hard. This is why the class is given force regen for 6 seconds out of stealth. It''s designed to open up and set the pace of the fight by bursting down the opponents health. You can't do this vs a good marauder. All they have to do is obfuscate and your entire opening burst is gone. I have a big problem with this because a deception sins job is to burst down weakly guarded nodes and take them. Marauders are not tanks. They have no business of being able to mitigate the opening burst of a class with 1 ability.

When vs combust spec powertechs all they have to do is obfuscate when set on fire and the powertech loses the ability to railshot the target for 6 seconds.

When vsing jugs obfuscate grants them 4 free global. It works absolute wonders when you obfuscate their ravage and then ravage straight back.

Snipers probably have it the worst as they are very heavily ranged attack dependent. Obfuscation grants 4 free globals.

I beg to differ I eat mara's alive with both my infiltration shadow 27/14 and my assault vanguard. Mara's/sents are not OP they along with shadows/assassins are perfectly balanced. The issue here is there are sooooo many terribad pvpers in this game they scream everything is OP except what they play.

Rotfl.. You just contradicted yourself. You may be a good player but you just stated that the bulk of pvpers are bad. I beat marauders all the time on every class I pvp with. However I know the difference between a good marauder and a bad one. Duel a good one and your toast.

Heres a really simple example for ya.

Smash monkey marauder -> capable of hitting any sage for 6 - 7K with one ability. They have access to 2 leaps. When you dot them they can use cloak of pain which jacks up their internal damage reduction to 37% and their kinetic damage reduction to 52%. They have access to -30% aoe which means your deathfields are going to hit for about 1500 - 2000 CRIT max. They can saberward which is an additional 25% DR. They also have unyding rage and camo. They can pop pred and instantly be all over your *** like a fly to ****.

If your beating that **** on a sage.. the marauders your playing against are crazy stupid bad.

Edited by JackNader

Rotfl.. You just contradicted yourself. You may be a good player but you just stated that the bulk of pvpers are bad. I beat marauders all the time on every class I pvp with. However I know the difference between a good marauder and a bad one. Duel a good one and your toast.

If you're referring to me, again I beg to differ how did I contradict myself? Mara's are perfectly balanced, so are shadows. Heck as far as I'm concerned they've almost got balance down pat at this point. A few tweaks are all that's needed. Here's the thing, almost every single marauder I run into in a wz these days is smash specced as a 27/14 infiltration shadow I have a decided advantage in a 1v1 even if I were terribad. I'm not saying I'm super duper cause I'm not, I'm average. There are a few players on the harbinger I would really prefer to NOT have to 1v1, none of them are Mara's. Honestly most of us pvpers ARE simply average. The good one shine, the bad ones scream for nerfs on the forums, but the bulk of us really don't say much, we just play. wait...I shouldn't include myself in the bulk that don't say much...I'm a motor mouth.

Heres a really simple example for ya.

Smash monkey marauder -> capable of hitting any sage for 6 - 7K with one ability. They have access to 2 leaps. When you dot them they can use cloak of pain which jacks up their internal damage reduction to 37% and their kinetic damage reduction to 52%. They have access to -30% aoe which means your deathfields are going to hit for about 1500 - 2000 CRIT max. They can saberward which is an additional 25% DR. They also have unyding rage and camo. They can pop pred and instantly be all over your *** like a fly to ****.

If your beating that **** on a sage.. the marauders your playing against are crazy stupid bad.

you may be the best player to ever play this game, and i may just be a scrub, but i know, in the 50's bracket anyway, that 1v1 a marader, especially a smash monkey, is toast against my madness sorc. No way i let him get close enough for a fully-buffed smash. He may get one on me, But uduslly if i time my bubble right it'll be miniscle and i'll heal completely up with UP+medpac, and my dots are ticking and he's cc'd to hell. Plus, i do not tend to sit still, i'm always always moving. Most of the 1v1 end with either the maraduer dying, or he gets frustrated and runs away..

Of course, in WZs, its never really about 1v1, so a maraduer beating on my sorc while an op/shadow has me cc'd, then yes, he will tear me to pieces. But thats my own fault getting into a gang-bang situation...

How many Sorcs you play against actively kite you about? Even in the 50's bracket I see most of them only move when using Force Speed, and then remain planted to the spot as the Mara closes distance. If I have the choice between playing a Sorc or Mara in a 1v1 vs each other, I'll take the Sorc.

How many Sorcs don't try to kite? You must be dueling bad fotm rerollers.

In a warzone theres little chance of kiting, its not 1v1.

And even if you can kite and kill that marauder its going to take you ages, time is not a luxury you have in objective based PvP.

By the time you've finished kited your marauder the enemy's probably taken the datacore.

A sorc will beat a marauder, as long as they can LOS to heal back up and let dots tick on him. In a flat, empty map map, the marauder will win as long as they don't make 1 critical mistake :p As for sent vs scoundrel, the only thing i can offer is that those who doubt that scoundrels can kill them 1v1 is that they request a duel against the best scoundrels on their server, or roll a toon on Jedi Covenant and duel me :p I like doing a /clubdance while dueling because that's how mismatched the fight is :p

A sorc will beat a marauder, as long as they can LOS to heal back up and let dots tick on him. In a flat, empty map map, the marauder will win as long as they don't make 1 critical mistake :p As for sent vs scoundrel, the only thing i can offer is that those who doubt that scoundrels can kill them 1v1 is that they request a duel against the best scoundrels on their server, or roll a toon on Jedi Covenant and duel me :p I like doing a /clubdance while dueling because that's how mismatched the fight is :p

Sorcs are easy pickings my boy. As for scoundrels/operatives, the only way they can kill a sent is if they don't have all of their cooldowns up. If its a true 1v1 and both players are good, then the sentinel will win.

/sigh...

Rebuke is cancelled by Flash Grenade

Pacify has no effect on a pure tech damaging class

Force Camouflage is nothing but a stalling measure in a 1v1, especially since scrapper damage isn't dot based, so it doesn't mitigate anything

Dirty Kick to shorten your uptime during Saberward. Additionally, it doesn't benefit you with 50% defense, since it's all tech damage

Guarded is negated by Disappearing Act

My dodge grants 100% evasion to melee for 4 seconds, while cleansing either Force Exhaustion or Overload Sabers/Cauterize

I could go afk to grab a drink and still 1v1 any sent :p

I'm pretty new on my Sentinel and I'm only valor 33 and I'm not even min/maxed WH yet, but he's eating pretty much every other AC in the game for breakfast. I have played many other classes before (Guardian, Commando, Shadow, Sniper, Scoundrel, Vanguard, Sorcerer) but so far PvP seems the easiest on the my Sentinel.

Each of the other classes I played before seemed to shine in certain situations. Sentinel (for me anyway) seems to shine in any and all situations. I feel like I was given tools to deal effectly with every conceivable situation, be that offensive, defensive, delay, 1v1, team utility etc. That doesn't mean I come out on top every time but it does mean I have a higher chance of prevailing then any other AC.

Sages/Sorcs dots tickle me while they eat Precision Slash + Master Strike.

That may be true for the majority of Sages/Sorcs out there, but in a hybrid or full Balance/Madness spec on my Sage and Sorc, I win most of my 1v1's vs Marauders/Sentinels. If you stay mobile and rotate your CC correctly, you have the tools to burn down a Mara/Sent in any spec. Most Sage/Sorc players I've seen stay rooted to the spot or simply don't know how to kite effectively. I've also managed to do it in full Telekinetics/Lightning...but it's decidedly more difficult.

im a sorc with decent gear and marauders and sents cut me down fast

i kite them and they usually always win. other classes i do fine

I take it you're just talking about annihilation, in which case, yes, a madness sorceror should win every time with about 1/4 of his health left (hybrid, probably a bit more).

But against a Carnage spec marauder...consider yourself lucky if you've erased 5k health of his health before he does 20k to you. It's just impossible to create enough range to stay alive.

Rage is tougher to judge. It's an easily winnable matchup, but probably only because most rage players are terrible or are transplants who know some other spec better. In theory, they should have enough snares and gap closers to win, but never seem to be able to.

/sigh...

Rebuke is cancelled by Flash Grenade

Pacify has no effect on a pure tech damaging class

Force Camouflage is nothing but a stalling measure in a 1v1, especially since scrapper damage isn't dot based, so it doesn't mitigate anything

Dirty Kick to shorten your uptime during Saberward. Additionally, it doesn't benefit you with 50% defense, since it's all tech damage

Guarded is negated by Disappearing Act

My dodge grants 100% evasion to melee for 4 seconds, while cleansing either Force Exhaustion or Overload Sabers/Cauterize

I could go afk to grab a drink and still 1v1 any sent :p

Ah you have it all figured out eh? :D Then come at me bro. When I'm finished with you, you'll definitely need that drink. :rak_03:

What I find humorous is that on one hand Sorcs and operatives whine about how they need a buff because they need to bring friends to kill something, then on the other hand they claim to be able to kill a class that is perceived by many to be overpowered. So which is it? :p

Edited by PoliteAssasin

Marauders are underpowered against ranged classes, they need a buff to either leap or cloak of pain.

Leap should be on a 10 (maybe 8) second cd, other wise they eat dmg all the 25 meters to the target and by the time they get there they have 35% hp. (assuming big *** cd saber ward is down and all the other 2 are to - cloak included)

Buff marauders and stop being such hypocrites.

oh yeah and nerf operatives and slingers too.

ty

In a 1v1 situation there is really only 1 class capable of beating down a marauder. That is a good scrapper scoundrel.

The reason is that a scoundrel can kite, combat exit, has a ****** opener, can easily strip away cloak of pain and does not have to deal with saberwards -50% defelection or obfuscation -90% accuracy debuff.

Snipers, Combust powertechs, marauders, juggernaughts and deception sins are heavily dependent on ranged / melee attacks.

A sins burst for instance is entirely maul. Maul is an expensive ability but it hits hard. This is why the class is given force regen for 6 seconds out of stealth. It''s designed to open up and set the pace of the fight by bursting down the opponents health. You can't do this vs a good marauder. All they have to do is obfuscate and your entire opening burst is gone. I have a big problem with this because a deception sins job is to burst down weakly guarded nodes and take them. Marauders are not tanks. They have no business of being able to mitigate the opening burst of a class with 1 ability.

I'm sorry but if you cant beat a marauder as a Deception Assassin you are just plain bad. A marauder should stand no chance against a Deception or darkness assassin. If you use your stuns and slows right the marauder can barely get a hit in. I find powertechs, juggs and assassins are more powerful and can easily beat a marauder. But maybe that's just because I actually know how to counter one...

The only thing that needs to be nerfed is smash as it does way too much damage. The rest is fine. Other classes like sorcs and mercenaries can obviously use buffs. But stop picking on every ability the marauders have...jeez.