Help Me Name My New Trooper

Korithras

Trying to come up with a name for a new vanguard trooper I want to play, been having a lot of trouble coming up with a name however. Being the history nut that I am, I wanted to draw inspiration from famous military commanders who were also rather upstanding citizens since I intend to have him be light side aligned.

I only need a first name, he's going to be using my legacy name for the last name so that makes it only half a job. Here are the commanders along with a bit of history behind them.

- Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain (started as a lt. colonel, rose to major general), a Union army commander of the 20th Maine Regiment who served during the American Civil War, earned the Congressional Medal of Honor during the Battle of Gettysburg by holding the line at Little Round Top.

- Admiral Yi Sun-Sin, Korean naval commander during the Japanese invasions of Korea (1592-98) who was renowned for his honor, honesty, integrity, and military prowess. Was often having to fight the corrupt Korean government which he served in the political theater while defending Korea from the Japanese during the military one. Never lost a battle or even a single ship under his command.

- Richard Winters (started as a lieutenant, retired a major) was the commander of Easy Company of the 101st Airborne Division of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment during WWII, a stalwart, level-headed commander who was loved and respected by the men who served under him. Most famous for his service at Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge when the 101st Airborne was cut off and surrounded by the German army and refused to surrender, holding out until "rescued" by Patton.

These are just a few of the people I was thinking of from history, I am of course welcome to suggestions of other military commanders to look to for inspiration and make anagrams of their names as well.

Trying to come up with a name for a new vanguard trooper I want to play, been having a lot of trouble coming up with a name however. Being the history nut that I am, I wanted to draw inspiration from famous military commanders who were also rather upstanding citizens since I intend to have him be light side aligned.

I only need a first name, he's going to be using my legacy name for the last name so that makes it only half a job. Here are the commanders along with a bit of history behind them.

- Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain (started as a lt. colonel, rose to major general), a Union army commander of the 20th Maine Regiment who served during the American Civil War, earned the Congressional Medal of Honor during the Battle of Gettysburg by holding the line at Little Round Top.

- Admiral Yi Sun-Sin, Korean naval commander during the Japanese invasions of Korea (1592-98) who was renowned for his honor, honesty, integrity, and military prowess. Was often having to fight the corrupt Korean government which he served in the political theater while defending Korea from the Japanese during the military one. Never lost a battle or even a single ship under his command.

- Richard Winters (started as a lieutenant, retired a major) was the commander of Easy Company of the 101st Airborne Division of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment during WWII, a stalwart, level-headed commander who was loved and respected by the men who served under him. Most famous for his service at Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge when the 101st Airborne was cut off and surrounded by the German army and refused to surrender, holding out until "rescued" by Patton.

These are just a few of the people I was thinking of from history, I am of course welcome to suggestions of other military commanders to look to for inspiration and make anagrams of their names as well.

1. Alexander the Great

2. Napoleon Bonaparte

3. Genghis Khan

4. Saladin

5. Charlemagne

To me these historical figures stand out the most as military geniuses as well as great commanders of men who also created great social change alongside their conquests.

That being said, I believe Saladin was one of the most honorable you can find. Without googling it, I just recall this from memory and what I had once read ages ago about Saladin. If I recall, he often times chose the more peaceful option when dealing with enemy forces and/or when he was conquering enemy lands. It was noted his Christian enemies showed far more cruelty on the battlefields and when conquering other lands they were far more intrusive and aggressive.

I'd make an anagram name off Saladin, or you can even play with his full real name, being Salah ad-Din Yusuf. Just like the name "Aladdin" was made phonetically easier to say from it's original name "Ala' Al-Din," so is "Saladin" from "Salah ad-Din Yusuf."

The name Saladin or anagrams for it:

Sahladin, Nidalas (Saladin backwards), Sahl Adin *legacy name*, Sal-Adin, Saul-Adeen, etc.

I think Saladin sounds good too, with titles like Captain.

1. Alexander the Great

2. Napoleon Bonaparte

3. Genghis Khan

4. Saladin

5. Charlemagne

Those are all great leaders of history to be sure but one, they're mostly generals not combat soldiers who left the actual fighting to their troops beneath them. Two? A lot of them come with baggage. The guys I listed for instance might have had their characters flaws (Chamberlain for example was extremely strict to the point of ridiculous at times, for example) but a lot of those guys listed by you are responsible for just straight up butchering people.

Edited by Korithras

Those are all great leaders of history to be sure but one, they're mostly generals not combat soldiers who left the actual fighting to their troops beneath them. Two? A lot of them come with baggage. The guys I listed for instance might have had their characters flaws (Chamberlain for example was extremely strict to the point of ridiculous at times, for example) but a lot of those guys are responsible for just straight up butchering people.

I think it's impossible to consider any military leader saintly; with war comes "butchering people." That's why I was hesitant to write about Saladin in the way I did, because even there I was writing a bit idealistically. The gist of what I wrote I stand by though.

I just feel like it's understood war brings death and destruction no reason to go that side of it. Subjectivity plays a big part too. Depending who's account is being taken, that can have a big impact on how the story is told. That's why I am always skeptical in reality when I am told something that is supposedly truthful yet in the past was known to be quite the opposite, and/or I only hear one side of the story. I cannot be objective with only part of the story told from one perspective.

I like to give my troopers names from military slang. Chest Candy, for example, is an officer who seeks promotion and medals constantly. It also suits my DS body type IV female Trooper. You can google military slang and find the one you like best. If DS, might I suggest Blue Falcon, which is a polite acronym for something else, referring to a soldier who betrays comrades for personal advancement.

If you're determined to pick a real-world general, how about something a bit more obscure than top ten lists of greatest generals ever?

How about McClelland, 'The Young Napoleon', one of the early Northern generals during the US Civil War, who was well-liked by his troops but constantly overestimated the strength of the opposing side?

Or Ney, a Marshal of Imperial France who came up through the ranks and was called by Napoleon 'The Bravest of the Brave'?

Or on the other side, how about Crauford, 'Black Bob' to his troops, who commanded the British Light Division during the Napoleonic wars, the closest parallel to SpecForce. He was a great general who, unlike most on the British side, led from the front [which is how he died]. But he also had violent mood swings and was a harsh disciplinarian.

For a non-European example, how about al-Walid, the Arab general who fought most of Muhammed's early battles. He conquered Syria and is often regarded as one of the greatest military strategists of all time. But he was also feared by his own side, who thought he was a little too bloodthirsty to be on God's side, and also a threat to the earliest Caliphs, who thought he was setting up a Strong Man personality cult.

There are lots more great examples from history. To me, calling yourself Genghis Khan is not really any better than calling yourself LuukeSkywalker. It's contrived and uncreative.

Edited by Ardrossan

Ptolemy I Soter

The game doesn't let you use single letters, so it could be Ptolemy Isoter or Ptolemy Savior.

Or... let's see...

Ptolemy

MyOle'PT (I made that myself)

Elmo Posterity (online anagram generator, but so awesome)

Tolstoy Empire (also awesome)

Epsom Toiletry (needs no introduction)

Motley Riposte (man, why didn't they have online anagram generators when I created my toons?!!!)

Toiletry Poems (lol)

Omit Polyester (this is the greatest day of my life)

Mole Posterity (wow, a play on words and a touch of historical irony)

I like to give my troopers names from military slang. Chest Candy, for example, is an officer who seeks promotion and medals constantly.

Weird, I was in the US army for 4 years and never heard this "chest candy" although I get it, it makes sense. I just never heard anything like that lol.

Erwin Rommel, aka "The Desert Fox"

He was one of the most famous tank commanders (perfect if your VG is a tank! ) and was regarded by his opponents to be a chivalrous leader, who led from the front, treated his subordinates and POW's with respect, and didn't subscribe to Nazi ideology. He was convicted as part of the plot to assassinate Hitler and forced to commit suicide, to save his family and reputation.

Mc'Arthur 🙂

Sargon

“It is fatal to enter an war without the will to win it.” ― Douglas MacArthur.

Add to the list of names:

Achievers are resolute in their goals and driven by determination. Discouragement is temporary, obstacles are overcome, and doubt is defeated … George Patton

OTHER names (not already listed) that are deemed to great strategists (by some historians) ..

***Sun Tzu

***Hannibal

***Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba

***Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus (actually accredited for defeating Hannibal Barca)

***Admiral Lord Nelson

At any rate … to OP … have fun with creating a name !!

Weird, I was in the US army for 4 years and never heard this "chest candy" although I get it, it makes sense. I just never heard anything like that lol.

lol, I've never been in the military so my knowledge is entirely theoretical.

My pub main is a trooper named Ricky Fishing. The male version of that term is Ricky Boxing. It's in the below link too. One of my guildies was in the military and knew what it meant and was horrified that I'd name a character that. I also used to have another trooper named DILLIGAF, but it got deleted during the last server merge, so it's possible that name is up for grabs. Blue Falcon was another trooper that got deleted in the merge.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_military_slang

Edited by Ardrossan

2. Napoleon Bonaparte

was thoroughly darkside, and an Imperial. Read a bio.

Is your Vanguard going to tank? Then I recommend the original Leeroy Jenkins:

Custer

Are you picking up Armstech? Then I recommend Arminius, who fought Imperials.

On the Commando side, we need the title "Prime", so my gunbunny can be "Prime Mover".

I worked for the CDN defense department, and was around military personnel quite often. I heard them refer to the medals and decorations as "chest candy". Regional variations. 🙂

Yeah, true. Of course, the OP may get lucky with an obscure general or something that most people have never heard of.

I’ve a whole list of these types of names ready to go if I can be bothered making more Alts.

I’ve started getting pretty creative or cynical with my names because I get sick of it saying you can’t have it and it’s not because it’s been used, but because some parts of the name is considered in appropriate (which they aren’t).

The amount of times I have to use Alt keys to make names that are innocuous and should be allowed is astonishing. While I see names that shouldn’t be allowed used with no Alt letters in them at all.

Apparently Jaina is some sort of term (in some European area) for a women’s private parts. So I got reported by a prude for having it and they went through and made me rename about 8 Alts that had versions of it.

In the mean time, I see the same type of Jaina name references through out the game. And let’s not forget the names that basically say out loud and proud some of the most blatant rule breaking there is and if you report them, nothing happens.

It’s a toss of the coin on what they let you have and all the really good or creative names you might prefer are either taken or Bioware considers them in appropriate when they shouldn’t be.

So now my name list that’s ready to go for new Alts has some pretty interesting play of words in them and unless you are on my wave length or clever enough to get them, they should never be banned.

I’ve a whole list of these types of names ready to go if I can be bothered making more Alts.

I’ve started getting pretty creative or cynical with my names because I get sick of it saying you can’t have it and it’s not because it’s been used, but because some parts of the name is considered in appropriate (which they aren’t).

The amount of times I have to use Alt keys to make names that are innocuous and should be allowed is astonishing. While I see names that shouldn’t be allowed used with no Alt letters in them at all.

Apparently Jaina is some sort of term (in some European area) for a women’s private parts. So I got reported by a prude for having it and they went through and made me rename about 8 Alts that had versions of it.

In the mean time, I see the same type of Jaina name references through out the game. And let’s not forget the names that basically say out loud and proud some of the most blatant rule breaking there is and if you report them, nothing happens.

It’s a toss of the coin on what they let you have and all the really good or creative names you might prefer are either taken or Bioware considers them in appropriate when they shouldn’t be.

So now my name list that’s ready to go for new Alts has some pretty interesting play of words in them and unless you are on my wave length or clever enough to get them, they should never be banned.

It's ridiculous that they would ban your names while still letting people walk around with things that are OBVIOUSLY inappropriate to anybody, but never get banned.

XL'Uke Skyw'ALKERx is totally fine, but Dj'ango Fett isn't, lol.

Hey, Exlukis Iwolker is actually a cool name.

ScratchingMyButtRightNow is fine, by PooPoo McGoo isn't. Lol.

Even the filter is funny sometimes. Fart is filtered in game, but crap isn't. So hilarious.

Even I’ve heard of that and I’m in Australia. Wouldn’t surprise me if it originated from an Aussie, Kiwi or Brit because that’s our sort of humour/nick names for things. Usually a bit different to US thinking ;)

When we had the Aussie servers, so many people were having CS tell them to remake their names. We were all, “wt*” because we didn’t see any problems with them. It became very obvious, really fast that it was a cultural thing.

Luckily back then we were able to explain to them the meaning and the cultural references. I also think being on APAC servers helped our cases. But I dare say, trying to use those names now would probably be impossible. I even know of some people who had to rename them when we were merged with the US and the reason wasnt because they were taken, it was because they considered them offensive. I think that was the last straw for some APAC players. First being merged and then losing allowed names because cultural norms were ignored for US interpretations.

It's ridiculous that they would ban your names while still letting people walk around with things that are OBVIOUSLY inappropriate to anybody, but never get banned.

XL'Uke Skyw'ALKERx is totally fine, but Dj'ango Fett isn't, lol.

Hey, Exlukis Iwolker is actually a cool name.

ScratchingMyButtRightNow is fine, by PooPoo McGoo isn't. Lol.

Even the filter is funny sometimes. Fart is filtered in game, but crap isn't. So hilarious.

Neither is *****, but breasts and ******s are

Edit:

damn that’s so funny. The first part of that post that was just filtered is allowed in the game, but the second part isn’t. :D

Consistency is so F’d in this game that it boggles the mind sometimes.

Edited by TrixxieTriss