Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do people solo Flashpoints?

wrathofabeloth
08.04.2015 , 08:48 PM | #1
i've seen people solo flashpoints in videos and such and people claim to have done so but when i do them even with 2 or 3 players helping me we still struggle to varying degrees.
Based on how powerful the opponents are that we obviously would've died horrible against by ourselves it seems physicaly impossible for people to have soloed it, is that such a super-pro thing or am i missing something?

ScarletBlaze
08.04.2015 , 09:08 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by wrathofabeloth View Post
i've seen people solo flashpoints in videos and such and people claim to have done so but when i do them even with 2 or 3 players helping me we still struggle to varying degrees.
Based on how powerful the opponents are that we obviously would've died horrible against by ourselves it seems physicaly impossible for people to have soloed it, is that such a super-pro thing or am i missing something?
I can solo some of the hard mode flashpoints but I am also level 60. It could be they are overleveled or their gear is good and so is their companions.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

SteveTheCynic
08.05.2015 , 02:41 AM | #3
When my Commando was around level 45, she sleep-walked through Esseles in normal mode (turns out to be a relatively slow way to earn Light points), and got the moddable Esseles assault cannon from the last boss. (Much more useful than the non-moddable green Cunning/Endurance assault cannon I found on Makeb. Why is that a thing?)

Note in passing: you can't solo the bonus element in Esseles because to do it, you'd have to be in two places at once.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Torvai
08.06.2015 , 12:36 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
When my Commando was around level 45, she sleep-walked through Esseles in normal mode (turns out to be a relatively slow way to earn Light points), and got the moddable Esseles assault cannon from the last boss. (Much more useful than the non-moddable green Cunning/Endurance assault cannon I found on Makeb. Why is that a thing?)

Note in passing: you can't solo the bonus element in Esseles because to do it, you'd have to be in two places at once.
Esseles on level 45? You gotta be kidding(or typo'ed and meant 15 ).
And Sins can do the bonus, provided they are at least 51(Phasewalk ftw)

For soloing in general: You need a really good idea on how to play your class and how the fights work so you can time your cooldowns right etc. Also you need to have at least gear on the level of the flashpoint. Above is better though. Knowing how to micromanage your companion also helps a big chunk.
Or simply outlevel the content by 10 or more, so you don't get hit by the enemies

SteveTheCynic
08.06.2015 , 02:06 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Torvai View Post
Esseles on level 45? You gotta be kidding(or typo'ed and meant 15 ).
No, I meant 45. I was bored and wanted to see how it would work out (and to farm me some Light points - I wound up with Light V at around level 47).

That character did Esseles normally on the way to Coruscant after finishing Ord Mantell at level 11 or so, and much later she went back and did it again. As I said, she kinda sleepwalked through it at level 45. She's level 58 right now with the level 55 172-blue mods, and I'm thinking of having a program of going round thumping the FPs in approximate order to see how far I can go without a companion, and how far with just the ship droid, and when Elara (also in 172-blues) stops being enough...

But also to answer the question of whether *I* am good enough to do a 50-HM version of SLS with just Elara.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

DawnAskham
08.06.2015 , 11:24 AM | #6
Which flashpoints are you trying to solo?

Anyways - solo play requires being creative and having a very good understanding of game and encounter mechanics, especially the closer one is to the level of the flashpoint.

Just as an fyi, at 10 levels over the level of mobs, a player becomes immune to the vast majority of damage (save a few very specific mechanics), so something like a level 45 soloing level 10 content is trivial, a 58 in an HM 50 will take damage but should be minimal, while a 60 in an HM 50 again being trivial.

Otherwise it becomes a matter of gearing yourself and your companion as best as possible, using the optimal combination of class / discipline / companion for the content, and finding ways to counter various mechanics.

psandak
08.06.2015 , 12:01 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
Anyways - solo play requires being creative and having a very good understanding of game and encounter mechanics, especially the closer one is to the level of the flashpoint.
This above all else.

A perfect example: I ran both Ilum Flashpoints in SM solo with two characters:

- a level 54 sage using Nadia as my companion
- a level 55 commando using Elara as my companion

Facing Malgus in False Emperor, I actually had an easier time with my sage and Nadia, even though she was lower level and lesser geared. Why? Because Elara would just stand in the AOE damage that Malgus throws out and hers and my own (limited) healing could not keep her alive. Nadia being a melee DPS meant I could move Malgus and therefore move Nadia.

To clarify what DawnAskham is talking about...you cannot rush through an FP while solo. With every pull you really need to strategize. You HAVE to use CC. The weak to strong standard kill order becomes more important too.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date