Companion romance--at what moment are you locked out?

eldefail

Hey guys, I was wondering if avoiding flirting with companions has a kind of "point of no return" that locks the player out of romancing them sooner or later. As an example a few years ago my Smuggler turned Corso down in like our 2nd conversation on the ship because he was drunk and it seems to me that locked me out of his romance arc. I think there were still flirt options available but I had no option to take it further. It also seems to me that I had a lot of time to avoid flirting with Vette on my warrior and was still able to romance her.

I'm wondering if romance companions have a point of no return/"crisis" moment or conversation that shuts down the romance completely, or if it's just skipping too many flirt options or something. How does this work exactly?

Yes there is, though it's different for every companion, and it's kinda arbitrary

Ex. Vette i think is the convo after you meet up with her old gang on NS

As a good rule of thumb, if you actually want to romance them, don't miss a single flirt within the companion conversation line

Edited by MadDutchman

I just finished doing the Kaliyo romance on my sniper and what I noticed and actually made a ticket about was at the end of it you talk about getting married but there isn't a notification box that says if you choose this option you are locked in a romance. So I just went ahead with FE not knowing if the romance was actually set in stone, was kind of worried cause really the only reason I did another IA was to see the romance storyline. But during chapter 3 I got a mean letter from Kaliyo about leaving her and when I did her story I got the romance scenes so I'm guessing it did work, ones I hadn't seen on the Op that I had first done the story on. It was just confusing cause every other comp I got to the marriage part gave me the notification of if I choose I would be locked in. Maybe it has something to do with her not caring about you sleeping around I dunno.

I did Vette not to long ago too, and I found out from others who did it that if you proposition the Grathem lady in DK quests and you can make Vette watch, and the option to sleep with Vette's sister instead of just paying credits for her freedom might can cause you to lose out on a romance with Vette. I also know on my first warrior I was flirting with both Vette and Jaesa and you get to a conversation where you're talking to Jaesa and then Vette walks in and they make you choose one or the other, But there is a 3rd option something along the lines of "I'm a sith lord I should be able to have both" I picked that option and I lost out on Vette. So if you're actually after Vette make sure you do some research on the conversations before hand so you don't lose out on the one you want, if you don't want to have to make a new toon.

I just finished doing the Kaliyo romance on my sniper and what I noticed and actually made a ticket about was at the end of it you talk about getting married but there isn't a notification box that says if you choose this option you are locked in a romance.

That's right. Those boxes were introduced in KotFE (4.0) for all new decision points that occur after the beginning of KotFE. They were never retrofitted to the old class-story companion romances.

For all class-story companions, if you get to the marriage scene or similar, then it's locked in. (In fact, the lock-in is always earlier than that - Corso's is the very first [Flirt]...)

I did Vette not to long ago too, and I found out from others who did it that if you proposition the Grathem lady in DK quests and you can make Vette watch, and the option to sleep with Vette's sister instead of just paying credits for her freedom might can cause you to lose out on a romance with Vette.

Cellvanta Grathan.

That's a fairly understandable reaction from Vette if you ask me. ;)

I also know on my first warrior I was flirting with both Vette and Jaesa and you get to a conversation where you're talking to Jaesa and then Vette walks in and they make you choose one or the other, But there is a 3rd option something along the lines of "I'm a sith lord I should be able to have both" I picked that option and I lost out on Vette. So if you're actually after Vette make sure you do some research on the conversations before hand so you don't lose out on the one you want, if you don't want to have to make a new toon.

Yeah, Vette doesn't go for the three-in-a-bed thing. (Similar conversations occur for Smugglers and Agents. The one that gets forced for Risha/Akaavi is, apparently, a real gem, but telling Raina Temple that you're going to stick with Kaliyo *really* upsets her.)

Lol ya I was like 3rd option what could go wrong? Then Vette is like have fun with your trashy Alderaan whore and stormed out was like nooo don't go! Ya I didn't remember those notifications back in the day but I actually like them, they're helpful. Jaesa is pretty much all about the threesome and then she would probably kill the other girl right after.