*Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

Sprigum

When it comes to hardware, I get lost too easy so I'll ask the community to weigh in: I'm trying to stay under 750 but I think I might can manage to avoid divorce if I keep it "fairly" close. The system I'm looking @ is http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBUYPOWER-Black-Gamer-Extreme-925D3-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Monitor-Not/19335672?findingMethod=rr and from what I'm seeing, this may cut the mustard but I'd like to know what drawbacks Im looking at. I'm trying to go thru Walmart since my wife get's the wonderful 10% discount but if anyone has a better buy, I'd love to hear about it.

The machine itself isn't bad at all. It's got a very nice processor, very nice RAM, very nice hard drive...but the graphics card - arguably one of the most important components for a gaming computer - is complete crap. Google "GT520" and click on one of the benchmark reviews, and you'll see what you're getting.

If you were to buy that computer, you would need to replace the graphics card with something that has a little bit more power. The issue is, you might run into size or power issues (The graphics card might not physically fit inside the case, or the power supply of the computer lacks the necessary connectors or even the necessary *umph* to give the card what it needs to run.)

Personally, I would buy all the same components, but a better graphics card and put the machine together myself. It's not a difficult thing to do, and there are plenty of guides on the internet to help you along.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The machine itself isn't bad at all. It's got a very nice processor, very nice RAM, very nice hard drive...but the graphics card - arguably one of the most important components for a gaming computer - is complete crap. Google "GT520" and click on one of the benchmark reviews, and you'll see what you're getting.

If you were to buy that computer, you would need to replace the graphics card with something that has a little bit more power. The issue is, you might run into size or power issues (The graphics card might not physically fit inside the case, or the power supply of the computer lacks the necessary connectors or even the necessary *umph* to give the card what it needs to run.)

Personally, I would buy all the same components, but a better graphics card and put the machine together myself. It's not a difficult thing to do, and there are plenty of guides on the internet to help you along.

Looking at your suggestion as far as the graphics card is concerned, I've put something similiar together:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 Quad Core

RAM: 8GB DDR3-1333 (4x2GB)

500GB 7200RPM Hard drive (figure i've got a 2TB external so save the $)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 1GB

All told will come in to my little hands @ $804.00

Looking at your suggestion as far as the graphics card is concerned, I've put something similiar together:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 Quad Core

RAM: 8GB DDR3-1333 (4x2GB)

500GB 7200RPM Hard drive (figure i've got a 2TB external so save the $)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 1GB

All told will come in to my little hands @ $804.00

Not bad at all. That should do you some good for a year or two. =)

Good thread, but the issue is mostly server side. I have never had lag in the game until yesterday. I logged in for the first time yesterday to horrible lag, stuttering, low framerates etc. Never before, since Beta, did I have that.

I use a comp like this:

i7 2600k Unlocked - liquid cooled

16Gb Hyperthreaded Corsair Vengeance RAM

Diamond Radeon HD 6990 4GB GPU

SSD linked with intel smart caching to a 1TB Barracuda linked to MB with 6GB/s paths

1300w Corsair modular power supply

Top end MB (cant recall off top of my head) - was over $300.

I also ran speed test last night:

63Mb/s down and 15Mb/s up with 13ms ping

So, I want to say again, it is not always about your hardware, it is more often the server side issues.

Sandforce SATA III SSD's have known issues with Sandy Bridge Motherboards. Don't buy this combination.

Some people do, but the majority of people do not. OCZ even stated they have a less than 1% fail rate with there current Sandforce SSDs. And currently I'm running 2 vortex 3s in raid on a sandy bridge board (P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3) with no issues.

I think this is more of a misconception. So, all in all, don't be scared to buy Sandforce SSDs.

Would this set up run TOR?

AMD Athlon™II X2 245 Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology ( Couldnt find on list)

[CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI,

4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory,

AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR3 16X PCIe Video Card,

500 Watts - Standard Case Power Supply,

500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD,

Also can any one tell me what type of graphics this is and the GB and power to it,

Integrated HD Graphics 2000, cant find it any where

Edited by BattousaiMaximus

Would this set up run TOR?

AMD Athlon™II X2 245 Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology ( Couldnt find on list)

[CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI,

4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory,

AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR3 16X PCIe Video Card,

500 Watts - Standard Case Power Supply,

500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD,

Also can any one tell me what type of graphics this is and the GB and power to it,

Integrated HD Graphics 2000, cant find it any where

Your PC setup should run SWTOR on medium settings fine. Didnt you post you have a Radeon HD6670? Why the question on the Integrated 2000 gfx? RAM is a minimal concern but meets recs, the graphics card is modest at best, if anything is holding you back at this time I'd say its your processor. You should get alright FPS with medium settings, approx 45fps no better I'd say.

If you do have Integrated Graphics with no seperate graphics card, you should seriously get one. Your BIOS should automatically recognize that you have the graphics card in and prioritize that over your built-in graphics.

Im confused how so many people have over-loaded systems and experience no better than 60 frames. Most of you I see using 590gtx GPUs with 2-4 gigs of video memory or are SLI/CF them when its not needed for this game with a brand new GPU and would not benefit you and infact may cause glitchiness and lag.

I run a constant 80-110 FPS with this setup:

ASUS P8Z68-V Intel Motherboard

Intel 2500k (NOT overclocked at this time)

EVGA Nvidia GTX 560 (NOT overclocked either)

2x4gig = 8gig - Kingston 1600mhz ram

Seagate 500gig @ 7200rpm, 32mb

700w OCZ Mod-PS

Edited by Classicalbor

Intel E2200 cpu

3Gb Ram

GeForce 9600 GT

Windows 7 ultimate

1920x1200 Display

I am getting 25-30 fps

Now admitted I turned off shadows cause they just plainly looked like crap think if your character's shadow looked like an 8bit NES character. With shadows I get around 19-25 depending on where I am.

I am attempting to figure why there are people who have alot better computers than I who are getting so much worse FPS than me.

Just wondering is their a reason why my processor(AMD Phenom II X4 840) is not listed?

And based on my specs listed below, what could be causing massive frame rate drops in warzones and random lag spikes everywhere else?

PvP:5-20fps

PvE: 20-110fps( it literaly drops at random)

Any ideas?

or perhaps you could take your tech wisdom over to:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=99905

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=82030

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=22835

These are the run on threads going on currently with over 300 posts trying to figure out why seemingly at random people are experiencing massive lag with systems well above minimum and recommended.

Any help provided would undoubtedly be met with thousands of people screaming with joy.

I am trying to find a great computer, in which i can upgrade later in the date.....great power supply......kick *** video card (so I can play any game such as SWTOR or even anything to make it great graphics)......great processor.....over 5 GB of RAM...runs windows 7....etc...

I am tired of buying piss poor knock off's and thinking i can upgrade them later and cannot......

Or at least help me see if i can get a better video card for my current computer...........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an ACER Aspire X3400G (Desktop), AMD Athlon II X2 255 Processor, 3.1ghz, 4.5gb of RAM, running Windows 7

however my video card is GeForce 9200.....and it is apparently the only thing holding me back from playing this game......Any ideas what video card i can get that will be PERFECT to fit inside my computer and actually work?

See im looking for a legit upgrade....i don't want to go out and buy something that does not fit in my computer...or something that is a minor upgrade....also something that works for my computer....

willing to spend like 100-170+

Want a real good video card that i will not have to worry about upgrading again.....or for some GREAT time...if you can find one that would work perfect and it costs more please explain how and why and i may pay more for the better one you mention...

I was told i needed a low profile video card I believe....

To the original poster, great job on putting this all together. I know alot of people have built or plan to build gaming rigs just for this game (and a few others). But, I have to say as a owner of a monster gaming rig, all the tech in the world wont do you any good if the game you are running is not well optomized or if drivers are not up to snuff.

For example, I have basically all the highest available stuff right now. CPU 2600k, 2x580 Classified 3GB Video RAM GPU's, 8 Gigs of ram etc. Basically, almost $2500.00 in parts in all, but with this game I don't get solid 60fps.

Granted the game is still new and I will give them time to work things out, but I can say and others have already expressed this is that the latest patch did drop performance for many. In the Space port, I use to get pretty solid 60fps with some occasional dips, "after"

the patch, I can drop in some areas of the space port to as low as 25fps. Basically my FPS is all over the place now after the patch.

In addition, all the high end hardware is not going to make things look all that much better until they implement some advanced graphic funtions in the menu's. Right now I force 8xaa via the .ini file (yes, I did this before the patch and performance was much better then after the patch). But outside of the AA force and plant density, the options are bare. For me, I want the ability to extend the draw distance of plants, grass etc. Walking in areas of the game with high grass and watching it grow infront of you is not that great looking. Shadows are some of the worst I have seen in a game, I could name a ton of console games where shadows blow away this games. Again, a option for hi-res shadows should exist for those users that want to use it.

In the end though, I love the game, I think the graphics are really good (once you force AA), but it does need alot of polish and performance tweaks. Part of this is what BioWare can do and part of it is the driver support from AMD/Nvidia. However, BioWare needs to release a patch that fixes the FPS that was created with the lastest patch and also allow users to tweak more video options.

Edited by Ogitrev

Hey guys, I currently have a Nvidia GeForce GT 220, and I noticed that it was not even on the OP's list of cards... Is this something I would need to upgrade? I am currently experiencing framerates always below 25, around 10 on the Imperial Fleet, and about 5 in warzones. Basically, the PvP is unplayable for me. If anyone knows if this card is the problem I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Man I'm glad other people have issues like mine. I have a pretty decent gaming desktop with a solid T1 internet connection rated 'A' at speedtest.com. I can play at max settings with most of the games that are out, but my lag and loading time for SWTOR is absolutely ****. It got worse after this patch. Especially in planets at the later stages like Tatooine and Alderaan. Even when i turn the settings to low it still lags.

Other than that, the game has been fantastic. But if they don't fix this, I don't know what I'm going to do. Waiting 15 minutes to load to another planet, plus still experiencing lag afterwords is becoming vexing.

Man I'm glad other people have issues like mine. I have a pretty decent gaming desktop with a solid T1 internet connection rated 'A' at speedtest.com. I can play at max settings with most of the games that are out, but my lag and loading time for SWTOR is absolutely ****. It got worse after this patch. Especially in planets at the later stages like Tatooine and Alderaan. Even when i turn the settings to low it still lags.

Other than that, the game has been fantastic. But if they don't fix this, I don't know what I'm going to do. Waiting 15 minutes to load to another planet, plus still experiencing lag afterwords is becoming vexing.

Without your pc specs, people cant help you :).

It does not matter if BF 3 etc. are running, this is a different game.

I just put this together over at CyberPower and was hoping one of you computer Gods or Goddesses could take a look at it and tell me what I should change, drop or add to make a better overall machine that will keep the price under $2000.

Current Price: $2,075.00

Link: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1DTXJ6

I also don't understand why they are asking for a Network Card which I chose as "Intel Pro Gigabite 10/100/1000 Network Card" and then they ask for a Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card as well which I then chose "PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card."

Are they the same thing? Do I need them?

Here is the quoted features it has if the link is too much of an eyesore with all the options it has!

*BASE_PRICE:[+1229]

BLUETOOTH:None

CAS:CoolerMaster HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage [+18] (Black Color)

CASUPGRADE:None

CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CD2:None

COOLANT:Standard Coolant

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-3930K 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)

CS_FAN:Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]

ENGRAVING:NONE

ENGRAVING_MSG:

FA_HDD:None

FAN:Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Enermax Enlobal Silent High Performance 120MM Fan [+15])

FLASHMEDIA:None

GLASSES:None

HDD:1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

HDD2:None

HEADSET1:Razer Carcharias Gaming Headset [+66]

IEEE_CARD:None

IUSB:Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

KEYBOARD:Razer Arctosa Black USB Gaming Keyboard [+38]

MEMORY:8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX)

MONITOR:22" Widescreen 1680x1050 TFT Active Matrix LCD Display [+148]

MONITOR2:None

MONITOR3:None

MOPAD1:Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Mouse Pad - Speed [+19]

MOTHERBOARD:(3-Way SLI Support) Gigabyte X79-UD3 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Dolby Home Theater 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

MOUSE:Razer Lachesis 5600 DPI Multi-Color Ligthing Mouse [+69]

NCSW:None

NETWORK:Intel Pro Gigabite 10/100/1000 Network Card [+34]

NOISEREDUCE1:Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]

OS:Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional [+135] (64-bit Edition)

OVERCLOCK:No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY:700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply [+36]

RUSH:NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS

SERVICE:STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS:120 Watt Stereo Speakers [+10] (Black Color)

TEMP:None

TVRC:None

USB:None

USBFLASH:None

USBHD:None

USBX:None

VIDEO:AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+221] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

VIDEO2:None

VIDEO3:None

WNC:PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]

_PRICE:(+2075)

Do you really want to spend that much money? Do you only play with that pc, or do you also need to work with it, like doing some heavy graphic design tasks etc.

For a gaming pc I would not spend more than 1000$, but if you are very rich then it doesnt matter or if you need it for your work.