BH = 4% better?

Paganini

Hello, I've heard a lot of people reference BH's heat system being superior to Trooper's ammo because it is supposedly slightly better, can anyone confirm this? If so, is the cause known?

Thanks.

Edited by Paganini

I've heard a lot of people reference BH's heat system being superior to Trooper's ammo because it is supposedly slightly better, can anyone confirm this? If so, is the cause known?

Thanks.

You should have asked those lots of people who reference that. Would've been a more efficient way of getting your answer IMO.

When you compare the numbers BH comes out with .5 more ammo, or rather 4 more heat (hence the 4%). I'm not sure if the regen levels are any different though, haven't looked too much into it, but unless there's a discrepancy there it's not really anything that will ever have a major effect. It might happen that every now and then a BH at very high heat will be able to fire a new ability a second before a trooper would, but it's already a situation you don't wanna be in.

It seems to me that both classes are the same. 5 heat/sec is 5% resource regen. .6 ammo/sec is also 5% ammo regen. The only difference is that some abilities take slightly more resources as a trooper due to ammo not dividing evenly (16.67% of total resources for 2 ammo abilites, as opposed to 16% for BH).

The BH does have a better per unit regen of their heat. However, it is offset by the fact that their abilities cost slightly more. I think it's tracer missile that was used as the comparison but if you convert it's heat cost to ammo it would cost 3.6 ammo whereas grav round costs 3.

So while yes, their regen is more efficient, it is basically a wash with their higher ability costs.

The BH does have a better per unit regen of their heat. However, it is offset by the fact that their abilities cost slightly more. I think it's tracer missile that was used as the comparison but if you convert it's heat cost to ammo it would cost 3.6 ammo whereas grav round costs 3.

So while yes, their regen is more efficient, it is basically a wash with their higher ability costs.

If you read the post above you, you'll realize that Trooper and BH regen is EXACTLY THE SAME. Also, the situation is the exact opposite of what you described. Trooper abilities cost slightly more than BH abilities, not vice versa.

If you read the post above you, you'll realize that Trooper and BH regen is EXACTLY THE SAME. Also, the situation is the exact opposite of what you described. Trooper abilities cost slightly more than BH abilities, not vice versa.

My bad then, the math I have is accurate, but it was from beta (I got a new job in October and haven't been tracking stuff as closely as I did. Thanks for the correction.

Heat is honestly a lot harder to manage just because it makes you do more math. Whereas you can manage ammo via discreet units, heat is more fluid. When you have abilities that generate 25, 16, and 8 heat, things can get confusing very quickly.

Neither class has more costly spells. It takes the same amount of time to regen the heat/ammo needed for any spell. The only difference is that BH has 4 heat/.5 ammo more. Sure, relative to their max troopers spells costs more, but relative to their max they also regen quicker. But as said, relative to regen and spell costs they are completely equal.

If I'm not mistaken BH get or in this case vent 5 heat per sec

Troopers regenerate 0.36 ish ammo a sec

I have no idea if it scales with anything but I get ammo starved a lot on my trooper

Your ammo regen is faster when you keep it towards 12 ammo. Ammo regen starts at .6 a second and then as you go lower and lower it drops down to i think .2 a second. If you use your abilities right, you'll end up doing a lot more damage by keeping ammo near max at all times. Just saying.

I read a dev post that explained the heat/ammo system as being identical and that the only difference between them was the display in the UI. The system processes them in exactly the same way (Troopers are actually using heat, just like BHs), but the UI displays it as ammo counting down instead.

I can't find the thread right now, but I'll link it if I do.

I like ammo over heat anyways. At a glance, the large ammo bubbles are easier to tell whereabouts I am than a glance at a BH energy bar.

I just wish that when I change cells, my ammo actually stayed green or orange rather than turning the base colour after a while.

Why is the resource system not mirrored anyway, like every other class? Even if they didn't want it to be heat, and wanted it to count down, they could make it with the same mechanics as heat, but the trooper had one big cell that was recharging all the time. All these regen issues add up to a very noticeable difference between the 2, which shouldn't exist on "mirror" classes. I'd like to see a side by side comparison on the length of time it takes to go oom spamming tracer missile and grav round, or something to the effect, just so we have some hard numbers on time to empty as well.

Though I have a question on mechanics. For example, say the line where regen started dropping off was 2 and a specific shot cost equivalent of 2. Also, they have the equivalent of 3.5 cells, so the bh is at that point (with the smaller chunks of regen), but the trooper still only has 3 but will regen the full cell soon. They both shoot, so now the BH is at 1.5 cells and the trooper is at 1. For the bh, i'm assuming that the regen rate automatically changes, but how does the game treat the regen of the 1 cell for the trooper? Does the game track the rate (continuously like the BH) someplace else but just make the cells appear at the correct times? Does the game charge the first half of the cell at the faster rate and the second half at the lower rate? Basically, I'm wondering how the game treats the regen of a single cell if the regen rate of that cell changed?

Depending on what the answer is to the above, the problem would not just be the regen and pool, but the fact that the trooper regens in larger units that also makes it more likely to fall below the max regen threshold, and thus either have to use auto attack or start the spiral to empty. And if it is calculated just like the BH, why the UI? A single power cell that recharges would be a simple mirror.

EDIT: did not read the thread enough to see:

I read a dev post that explained the heat/ammo system as being identical and that the only difference between them was the display in the UI. The system processes them in exactly the same way (Troopers are actually using heat, just like BHs), but the UI displays it as ammo counting down instead.

I can't find the thread right now, but I'll link it if I do.

But I'd love to see the post. Hopefully the dev would put some math behind that because it's not just a couple people noticing a difference.

Edited by durvas